Assistance option for Newbies.

MageMERC - Harshlands
MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
edited April 2012 in Suggestion Box
After reading the posts about 'where are all the newcomers' in general discussion, I came up with this idea to help any newies:

Imagine this: A newie is wondering around lost and alone. They decide they need help so they click the 'assistance' button. This opens a chat box and they post a question. Any of a number of designated 'assisters', depending on who is online, then can answer in the chatbox to steer that newbie back on the right track, or to assist in any way they see fit.

To become and 'assister' you apply and get paid while you are online providing you give reasonable assistance whenever called upon to do so. You could select 'normal' mode or 'assister' mode somehow or other so that you get paid while in 'assister' mode, however you must then be available and not busy with other things.

GM's could monitor this to some degree and remove persons as 'assisters' if they dont perform the role correctly.

Payment could be 100k coins an hour while you are online as an 'assister' or something like that.
Post edited by MageMERC - Harshlands on

Comments

• Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    After reading the posts about 'where are all the newcomers' in general discussion, I came up with this idea to help any newies:

Imagine this: A newie is wondering around lost and alone. They decide they need help so they click the 'assistance' button. This opens a chat box and they post a question. Any of a number of designated 'assisters', depending on who is online, then can answer in the chatbox to steer that newbie back on the right track, or to assist in any way they see fit.

To become and 'assister' you apply and get paid while you are online providing you give reasonable assistance whenever called upon to do so. You could select 'normal' mode or 'assister' mode somehow or other so that you get paid while in 'assister' mode, however you must then be available and not busy with other things.

GM's could monitor this to some degree and remove persons as 'assisters' if they dont perform the role correctly.

Payment could be 100k coins an hour while you are online as an 'assister' or something like that.

Or you can just press L and see game's help.
    Or you can check the Encyclopedia
    Or you can GOOGLE it
  • Garmalak - Archosaur
    Garmalak - Archosaur Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Good idea but:
    100k coins

I can buy a faction every hour.
    Or a perma-mount in a few days.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    edited March 2012
    Or you can just press L and see game's help.
    Or you can check the Encyclopedia
    Or you can GOOGLE it

...so this will help a newbie kill a boss, or do BH will it?

Good idea but:

I can buy a faction every hour.
    Or a perma-mount in a few days.

Well if payment was an option, and the 'assister' wasn't then allowed to be busy do anything else, you have to pay a high level something dont you. Any high level can grind more than that at least.
  • Garmalak - Archosaur
    Garmalak - Archosaur Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Say 1K per level per hour. Let me elucidate:

Lvl 20 person who helps for an hour: 20 000 coins.
    Lvl 50 person who helps for an hour: 50 000 coins.
    Lvl 50 person who helps for 2 hours:100 000 coins.
    Lvl 1 who helps for an hour: 1 000 coins.(lolwut?)
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Ppl shouldn't get payed for helping... Helping others should be a natural thing... But you can already put this idea to a use given that newby's are informed of it... It's called Private Chat Rooms... You know... That thing that used to be used a lot back in the old day's offering help for FB's? Maybe you could revive it's purpose and make some "newby helpers" room... And make sure that newby's will know where to find it... b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Llamue - Dreamweaver
    Llamue - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I've seen other games have this. It's called Mentor Program. Some games are very pushy about it. Like they make it a quest and you and the mentor get extra rewards that you kinda really need to advance. Also, they make mentor ridiculously low level. Most people ignore it because they don't want to admit they need help. Asking in the forums is enough. Less embarrassing. And seriously, in a forum you are asking MANY people; some who played a long time. Mentor is just one person. How much could they know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Ussta chi zhah jatha'ur taga dossta!
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    edited March 2012
    Ppl shouldn't get payed for helping... Helping others should be a natural thing... But you can already put this idea to a use given that newby's are informed of it... It's called Private Chat Rooms... You know... That thing that used to be used a lot back in the old day's offering help for FB's? Maybe you could revive it's purpose and make some "newby helpers" room... And make sure that newby's will know where to find it... b:cute

After I help out a newbie, you'd be surprised the number of times I'm told "tks again, you helped my friend earlier", or "Thanks you helped me with (this boss) on my alt a few weeks ago."

I help out a lot of people, I just sick of being the only one doing it. Thats where this suggestion came from. Maybe a 'mentor program' as described by Llamue would keep newbies in the game longer and increase the player base beyond bh/fc, and give high levels an incentive to help out more.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    edited April 2012
    So again 2 days ago I see a world chat for - please help fb59.

I wait a few minutes and pm the person, yep, no help yet so I join up, then a 94 archer joins up. I spam archasaur chat for a while but no more to do it.

We then start the instance and again the tabber tells me, "Thanks again, you did my fb51 culti for me on my alt....."

Hey PWI, you gottta do something about this situation - lower levells are having big trouble finding squads to do stuff!
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options:
    - Hire a GM bodyguard...
    - Hit harpy wraith...

Done you got your desired help b:bye

Now seriously, would be really nice if the game itself gave me something for helping, though, I always help when I can, it always cost me 30k~ on repairs, some with pots, some with teleporting, but I still do. And I'm not a richie, I'm the most broken sin over Dreamweaver.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    edited April 2012
    Options:
    - Hire a GM bodyguard...
    - Hit harpy wraith...

Done you got your desired help b:bye

Now seriously, would be really nice if the game itself gave me something for helping, though, I always help when I can, it always cost me 30k~ on repairs, some with pots, some with teleporting, but I still do. And I'm not a richie, I'm the most broken sin over Dreamweaver.

Yeah I didnt want to blow my own trumpet but on the above fb59, the tabber was gunna do it unwined, which I didnt want to sit through with a three person squad so I bought the wines too (the archer offered to pay for them too). No molds or anything decent drops so that was 285k cost....