How to play Expansions?

stjoarimathea
stjoarimathea Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Perhaps this is a silly question but I'm not sure I fully understand "expansions" if that is what these are. Lost Empire, Age of Spirits, Rising Tide, Genesis and now Descent.

Can someone please break it down for me? Some of these seem to be expansions to new races, some I have heard you have to be a certain level to play. Does anyone know how to access these additional story lines? Would be great if someone could answer for each expansion as I know they are different. So in short does one simply access the expansions via quests as they level up while playing? Thanks so much in advance!
Post edited by stjoarimathea on

Comments

• BlissherFX - Harshlands
    BlissherFX - Harshlands Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    You update and play the game. The expansions are new classes and the last expansion gave us a new level 95+ area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stjoarimathea
    edited March 2012
    Can you tell me which classes were introduced for Lost Empire,
    Age of Spirits,
    Rising Tide,
    Genesis
    and now Descent.

Thanks!
    edited March 2012
    Can you tell me which classes were introduced for Lost Empire,
    Age of Spirits,
    Rising Tide,
    Genesis
    and now Descent.

Thanks!

Age of spirits were the genies I think.
    Rising Tide were the Tideborn classes. (Assassin and Psychic
    Genesis were the Earthguard classes. (Seeker and Mystic)
    Descent is the new level 95+ area called Morai.

I don't know about the first one because it was years ago. basically they just add more stuff to the game every once in a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The Lost Empire introduces the untamed. beforehand BM's were considered the tanks until barbs and veno's showed up.
    hard to think it was only humans and elves in the original game o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • stjoarimathea
    edited March 2012
    Thanks! How does the additional content by way of expansions compare to other games? Have you been over all satisfied with the updates?
  • Skylark - Heavens Tear
    Skylark - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Actually, the untamed, humans, and elfs were the 3 original races when PWI began. Lost Empire introduced Old Heaven's Tear maps, the level 79 skills, and a few other things...

I think this most recent expansion is the best so far..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teach me half the gladness that thy brain must know;
    Such harmonious madness from my lips would flow,
    The world should listen then...as I am listening now.
    edited March 2012
    Actually, the untamed, humans, and elfs were the 3 original races when PWI began. Lost Empire introduced Old Heaven's Tear maps, the level 79 skills, and a few other things...

I think this most recent expansion is the best so far..

This.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited March 2012
  • stjoarimathea
    edited March 2012
    i was looking more for opinions not just facts. thanks to all who replied!!b:pleased
  • Skylark - Heavens Tear
    Skylark - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Here's my opinion, of course, others will have their own thoughts, but here goes:

Lost Empire:

I think the Old Heaven's Tears maps and new skills definitely added something to the game. At the time, I recall a lot of people complaining because there weren't as many high level players back then and it took a lot longer to get to those levels. But today, this expansion is so much a part of the game that I think most people don't realize it wasn't there originally.

Age of Spirits:

The genies...well. What can I say? We all have them, we all use them - what do you do with them?!?....In reading through the forums I've seen various opinions for "must-have" genie skills. On the other hand, I recall a faction chat once where we were all joking about naming our genies and a friend said she would name hers "Useless". What they ultimately did was give new skills that could be accessed no matter what your class (a couple class specific skills) and a great way to spend your spirit and/or experience to slow your leveling down, spend a few coins on it, and play the game of hoping for those extra lucky points. There were opinions that having a genie took away some of the prestige of having the sage/demon faries...but today they are so common place I doubt people worry about that.

Rising Tide:

The introduction of the FISHIES! Assassins and Psychics. Two brand new classes. Lots of controversy has arisen over whether they were overpower and you can still see those complaints pop up in the forums. The classes introduced new ways of playing the game and new buffs, plus this was the first main map expansion. They added a new quest (with a nice storyline) that gives good experience and nice rewards, and couple of fishy quests throughout the lands as you level. Needless to say, I think this probably fundamentally changed Perfect World the most.

Genesis:

Two more classes with the Earthgaurd. The Seekers and the Mystics. Again, very unique classes. Concerns popped up of whether mystics would make clerics obsolete, but today you still see people world-chatting for Clerics. From what I've seen, seekers are pretty powerful and from a cleric's point of view, I'd say they're in the same league as Barbs and BMs. The new Earthguard area had a few more quests and a new beautiful area with one of the most sprawling cities "Tellus". It was about that time, you started seeing tons of world chats offering power levels. The Assasins were now high enough to solo the Forgotten Frostlands, and people were antsy to level their new classes.

Decent:

I think this is the best one overall so far. Of course, Old Heaven's Tear, the genies, and the 4 new classes are now a way of life in Perfect World, but I think Decent brings back what I personally enjoyed about the early days. The daily quests are not as overwhelming as the "go kill 80-90 really hard mobs" where you never see anyone nearby to squad with, but rather, they are just the right size to go find a squad, meet some new friends (run into some old ones), and do your quests. The Endless Universe is a fun instance. With a 10 person squad it's not just go kill a boss, but you actually have to use teamwork and cooperation. Again, it's another way that I see brings people together, whereas a lot of the earlier expansions introduced things that potentially allowed people to solo a little easier. The three orders are a great new layer to the game. The storyline of Decent is interesting. The rewards for the quests are achieved over time which helps even things out for those who can only log on for a little bit each day as opposed to those who can spend all day power leveling.

So for what it's worth, there's one opinion. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teach me half the gladness that thy brain must know;
    Such harmonious madness from my lips would flow,
    The world should listen then...as I am listening now.