Stickies, Guides, BM Forum Cleanup

Maelael - Heavens Tear
Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Blademaster
Hey folks,

I've talked with the Mods, and personally I'm not happy with the stickies.

-Lyndura's guide is outdated.

-We reference a lot of non stickied threads often.

Frankie has offered to take a look at the BM subsection and do different stickies, unstickie some, etc.

If interested in changing up the forum, I'd ask all of you to let the mods know what needs to be gone, and what should be added.

Should we have 1 stickie referencing all of the useful posts?

Should we rewrite some guides? (Rewrite the FAQ, force the PVPers to make a new guide, get a new thread on general builds and skills)

Do we need some other guides created?

I'm happy to do what I can to organize and ship off information to Frankie from the forums, unless someone else wants to volunteer for the legwork.

Bottom line:

If you don't mind, please post in this thread what you feel the BM forum needs.
pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
Post edited by Maelael - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• FateBlade - Lost City
    FateBlade - Lost City Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    b:surprised
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    Ambisagrus - Lost City Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Woah....this actually makes me wanna write a guide ._.
    Going for on sin: pwcalc.com/d916f4e82a02e4dd

Currently saved: 0

Total cost: 5 bil

My time: Lulz.
  • BoomBastic - Lothranis
    BoomBastic - Lothranis Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    yeah remake of the guids would be nice, they are kinda out of date.. Also sneak a peek at archers side of things.. This was one good idea i think we should steal: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1286181

Ik it will be harder to do that for BM.s ofc.. but some general guide of what ppl should aim for would be good. since 99% of the questions here on BM side is about endgame builds, and im sure a guide like that would take care of 85% of them ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • briemarjazz
    briemarjazz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I started a BM and at Lv29. I really would like to see some updated stickies. I'm reading some conflicting information and not sure what is accurate.

I also have an archer. The archer forum has a sticky post I liked that had links inside that were organized by subject matter. The links went to other posts in the forums, some were discussions and some were guides. Some kind of format like that would be good. I just don't know what posts are the most accurate to suggest for it.

I would really love some updated information!
  • SpazzMcAps - Harshlands
    SpazzMcAps - Harshlands Posts: 2,561 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    according to lyndura nobody should use fists because they suck
    not exact wording
    COUGH COUGH EVERYONE IN THE ****ING WORLD WHOS A BM COUGH COUGH
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The BM forums is pretty sad I have to admit. Seb wrote a decent guide a while back but all the decent guides get buried and all the old ones stay dead. I bet 90% of the BMs on this forum don't even know who Lyndura or Warmachine are from back in 2008/2009.. Makes you wonder who you're getting advice from.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The BM forums is pretty sad I have to admit. Seb wrote a decent guide a while back but all the decent guides get buried and all the old ones stay dead. I bet 90% of the BMs on this forum don't even know who Lyndura or Warmachine are from back in 2008/2009.. Makes you wonder who you're getting advice from.

Seb?

Anyways, I think its a good idea and having one sticky to point at would draw more attention than 6 stickies dividing up peoples focus to the point they just create a new thread with the same repeated questions.

I'd like to help. I was waiting to respond for two reasons: First, its end of the term and I'm focusing on finals. Second, I've been trying to pull away from the forums a bit since if I'm spending time trolling here thats time I could be farming. But, it'd be a worthwhile cause to clean up the forums and help out new BMs.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    I meant your name, but I couldn't spell your name to save my life unless I were looking directly at it.

• jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    yeah remake of the guids would be nice, they are kinda out of date.. Also sneak a peek at archers side of things.. This was one good idea i think we should steal: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1286181

Ik it will be harder to do that for BM.s ofc.. but some general guide of what ppl should aim for would be good. since 99% of the questions here on BM side is about endgame builds, and im sure a guide like that would take care of 85% of them ;)

I can post my build information, and people can expand for variations. Most BM build are similar, tiny differences of where your TT99 HA/LA go, and whether you go for Lunar or TT vana pieces, along with popular weapon choices. But it will take some time, that build will be more along the lines to give people an idea where to farm mats and what kind of squad set up is necessary, or the amount of coins needed to get the items.

I remember i had to search around a lot and organise lots of different things before i could even begin farming my endgame gear.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    So Ideally, a thread like this:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3811672&postcount=1

Ideas for sections:

Basics, Builds, & Skills
    4 Weapon path guide
    Where to put your points depending on style
    Whatever skill guides

Gear & End Game Gear
    Pre end game selections
    End game gear selections
    Weapon Selections

PvE
    Whatever strategy guides
    Genies

PvP
    Whatever strategy guides
    Genies

I'd assume we'd just link to various posts on the matters. Does that format work or am I missing something?

The next question is what do we have that is complete, and what do we need written?
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    jabq wrote: »
    I can post my build information, and people can expand for variations. Most BM build are similar, tiny differences of where your TT99 HA/LA go, and whether you go for Lunar or TT vana pieces, along with popular weapon choices. But it will take some time, that build will be more along the lines to give people an idea where to farm mats and what kind of squad set up is necessary, or the amount of coins needed to get the items.

I remember i had to search around a lot and organise lots of different things before i could even begin farming my endgame gear.

Jabq, I think the point of that is not just to post on your build, but a variety of possible builds and explaining whys and etc on them. Farming the gear, leave that to the Dungeons & Tactics section. Pricing comparison is a great idea however.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Jabq, I think the point of that is not just to post on your build, but a variety of possible builds and explaining whys and etc on them. Farming the gear, leave that to the Dungeons & Tactics section. Pricing comparison is a great idea however.

Forgot to mention with variations b:chuckle. I already have most of the why listed and explained on my faction site post. There is some leeway in a 5 aps build, but the same family of items is needed for 5aps for bms, the cost differs where you decide to put them. Just need to brush up a bit and post it here, and see if it is worth anything, if not, we can disregard it.

Just have to add a bit about lunar weapons and r8 recast. Will leave out the farming section.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    jabq wrote: »
    Just have to add a bit about lunar weapons and r8 recast. Will leave out the farming section.

Always wanna be wary of the TL:DR, "I'll make a post anyways cause I have ADHD" people.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    Dan, you interested in revamping a PVP guide?
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    So Ideally, a thread like this:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3811672&postcount=1

Ideas for sections:

Basics, Builds, & Skills
    4 Weapon path guide
    Whatever skill guides

Gear & End Game Gear
    Pre end game selections
    End game gear selections
    Weapon Selections

PvE
    Whatever strategy guides
    Genies

PvP
    Whatever strategy guides
    Genies

I'd assume we'd just link to various posts on the matters. Does that format work or am I missing something?

The next question is what do we have that is complete, and what do we need written?
    Dan, you interested in revamping a PVP guide?

I am probably one of the most extensively knowledgeable old school BM PvPers still around out there, but I can't say much for my PvE knowledge pre-90s as I was a sage BM way back in 08 when everyone thought fist builds sucked, and times have changed, so I never really experimented with early builds. But anything end game related I could contribute lots of knowledge there.

I was always interested in putting a guide together, but was always too unmotivated to actually set aside time to put it together due to the fact I'm not really a big number crunching person and PvE builds don't really interest me all that much, so you're going to hear a lot of bias from me when it comes to builds/set ups because all my builds/set ups are geared towards PvP.

There is just so much more to know about BMs than any other class IMO so it's hard to know where to even start.... but it seems you already formatted a general outline for what guides you would need, but if my help is needed I can help out in the PvP related areas and some portions of the PvE guide too if my knowledge isn't too biased.

• Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    I was always interested in putting a guide together, but was always too unmotivated to actually set aside time to put it together due to the fact I'm not really a big number crunching person and PvE builds don't really interest me all that much, so you're going to hear a lot of bias from me when it comes to builds/set ups because all my builds/set ups are geared towards PvP.

Learning to PvP myself recently, honestly PvP with axe methods is wholly different than PvE, and Im noticing method is way more important than any gear.

Bias is okay, I imagine others can add in their two cents easily on other opinions.
    There is just so much more to know about BMs than any other class IMO so it's hard to know where to even start.... but it seems you already formatted a general outline for what guides you would need, but if my help is needed I can help out in the PvP related areas and some portions of the PvE guide too if my knowledge isn't too biased. I do have pretty extensive knowledge of how to reach 105 through solo FCC without goons or any glitching though if it matters.

I think anything we all can contribute will help. I suck balls at PvP compared to my faction mates, hence why Im lookin at you and Calvin along with a few others.

Im gonna start searching for the good-posts that will be useful, and tracking you people down and asking you to add more soon. Barring anything you guys start before I get to that point.

Cause really what we can do, is dig up the good posts, or create new ones, and work-in-progress them away with multiple contributors.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    I can say one thing though, I am a genie fanatic when it comes to PvP...

I've pretty much 1v1ed every top R9 player (with the exceptions of barbs) on my server and been able to win reliably each time and experimenting with genie set ups to allow for BMs to be a viable choice for 1v1s, PvP, and PK.

On a scale of 1-5, I would rate BMs to be at 5* difficulty requiring maximum player skill required to PvP on the class well due to having a major disadvantage in mass PvP against other R9 DDs. They'd get a 4* survivability behind seekers/barbs and not having the most epic DD skills and probably 2* DD output because the class is limited to mostly melee range without any high DPH skills.

• Hattori_ - Archosaur
    Hattori_ - Archosaur Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    i Can Say One Thing Though, I Am A Genie Fanatic When It Comes To Pvp...

I've Pretty Much 1v1ed Every Top R9 Player (with The Exceptions Of Barbs) On My Server And Been Able To Win Reliably Each Time And Experimenting With Genie Set Ups To Allow For Bms To Be A Viable Choice For 1v1s, Pvp, And Pk.

On A Scale Of 1-5, I Would Rate Bms To Be At 5* Difficulty Requiring Maximum Player Skill Required To Pvp On The Class Well Due To Having A Major Disadvantage In Mass Pvp Against Other R9 Dds. They'd Get A 4* Survivability Behind Seekers/barbs And Not Having The Most Epic Dd Skills And Probably 2* Dd Output Because The Class Is Limited To Mostly Melee Range Without Any High Dph Skills.

+1000
  • XCableX - Archosaur
    XCableX - Archosaur Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    +9001

There ya go.
    youtube.com/xArsonist18 : XCableX's TW videos

pwcalc.com/56b00d33a8c63c7d : Current BM Build for TW
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    Shamelessly bumping this as it looks like we are getting more guides together.

Please, your assistance is needed!
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2012
    Okay guys & gals & indeterminate gender, here is where we are at so far:

Basics, Builds, & Skills

4 Weapon path guide

Saku's: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=766822
    Hippie's (Keep or? Something we should steal for Saku's?): http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566611

I think a simplified post on this would be good - any volunteers?

Gear & End Game Gear

Concept behind this would be some easy peasy guides. Any volunteers?

Pre end game selections

End game gear selections

Weapon Selections

PvE

We are also lacking in this department. Perses said he/she would do something for this. Anyone else?

Strategy Guides
    Maelael needs to fix this: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16217911&postcount=15

Genies
    All the threads I found on this are more replies than guides. Any volunteers? We could also make it part of the "Strategy Guides" section.

PvP

Strategy Guides
    Dan's - http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

Genies

Dan's guide kinda covers this. Much like PvE we can also lump this into the strategy guide section.
  • Nine_Lives - Raging Tide
    Nine_Lives - Raging Tide Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I AM VERY MUCH INTO THIS

BM's are one of the most interesting to build toons in the game side by side with venos. Since most of the resource persons in being a bm in my fac are not always there to be asked (they are ALWAYS busy doing something be it nirv, TT, fc or delta), it would be nice if an all inclusive sticky be made or just dump out the old stickies (Fist bm's suck? tell that to a 5 aps bm that farmed 2nd cast nirvy gear for all his current toons both arcane and melee b:shutup).

They already made an all in one sticky in the veno and archer forum. I am planning to make a BM someday when I feel I reached end of the line for my veno. I don't want an answer that reads along the lines of ''get rank gear, warsong belt and cube necky'' which is basically what most endgame gear is for most classes. I want more variety than that...this is a game not a workplace that everything has a clear cut formula, I want to enjoy my gaming experience here

Power, flexibility and sheer badass...this is what BM's are all aboutb:victory b:pleased b:thanks
  • SpazzMcAps - Harshlands
    SpazzMcAps - Harshlands Posts: 2,561 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    add my guide to it