8708 Elemental Defence
4592 HP

or -

11807 Magic Attack
1854 Physical Defence
8058 Elemental Defence
4362 HP

?

Im undesided at this point between my current Anger of the Beast Soul Belt +4 & the R8 Verdant Soul belt +3. I say "at this point" because Ill be swtiching other gears out moderately soon (within 2 months or so) and the above will change.

But at this point, Im basicly losing 545 Physical Defence and gaining 138 Magic Attack in exchange for gaining 230 HP and 650 Elemental Defence.

Which is better for the moment please? Physical Defence or HP? Magic Attack or Defence? High Phys Def v. Higher HP & Elemental Def ? *is confused*

If it doesnt really matter, cool. But Ima scared...b:surrender

Thanks again b:thanks
Post edited by Brillance - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Both are trash. Get the OHT past belts and use those until Warsong/r9.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Noted Eoria, thanks b:thanks

I guess my answer is to just carry around the Anger of Beast Soul and, if I feel too squishy, switch it out until I can get further along on the OHT maps.

Cool! b:pleased
  • Marista - Lost City
    Marista - Lost City Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    As a magic class, you should never use a mdef belt (except maybe for channeling, and that should be a separate set). Pdef is much more needed for a mystic. However, both belts are indeed suboptimal. If you want a cheap but good belt and you have a barb friend +95, then collect the 7 "Demonal Documents," do the quests, and have your barb friend turn in the scrolls for the "Ethereal Belt." It id quite good for pdef, offers some hp too, and should only cost you ~7mil, give or take. At a cost per pdef/hp rate, it's infinitely better than the overrated and overpriced warsong belt (and, for a fun little trick, if you +7 it, it gives +666 pdef as the base value before blue mods =P). Another cheap but effective option is the jungle belt--think they're only like 3m or less per stone atm, so it should cost <18m.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So, I heard HA veno is the way to go? :3
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    umm i dunno hard to say... im all about gaining hp and p.def together, not losing one or the other lol. but since the hp loss isnt that much, maybe the second one.

i agree with eoria, get the oht belt. the 3rd map one (after opening scarred valley) is good enough if u cant make it all the way to the 4th map one. as for necklace, im assuming you are using sky demon pearl? if so, you can upgrade to the tt90 gold p.def necklace, also adds more p.def.

and as far as hp and p.def goes, if you are using rank 8 pants, the tt90 green ones gives a lot more p.def with the same hp amount ADD-ONS (but rank 8 refines better), and also 4 socket tt90 isnt hard to afford.

these are all affordable suggestions, assuming you arent going to go all out crazy on pro gear :P

as arcane armor user, i wouldnt be concerned by your m.def too much. i would take the loss of m.def for the gain of p.def any day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    In general, for mystics (who always have self 90% p. def buff), 1 point of p. def almost always increases your survivability against physical damage more than 1 hp would.

So that means if you're choosing between say, 150 hp or 150 p. def, take the p. def.

The only time I'd advise taking hp is if you're like, full garnet gems with +1 refines on armor and 5 vit, or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    In general, for mystics (who always have self 90% p. def buff), 1 point of p. def almost always increases your survivability against physical damage more than 1 hp would.

So that means if you're choosing between say, 150 hp or 150 p. def, take the p. def.

The only time I'd advise taking hp is if you're like, full garnet gems with +1 refines on armor and 5 vit, or something.

The first stat they posted was matk.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited March 2012
    tweakz wrote: »
    The first stat they posted was matk.

Its in the order of reading my face page, starting with the left column and progressing to the right...if that's okay...b:surrender

Thanks Marista, vixter, and Burnout for the replies and suggestions. Burnout, you hit the noob nail on the head! Your answer was in terms that any noob could understand. b:chuckle
  • Synta - Dreamweaver
    Synta - Dreamweaver Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I wouldnt always agree with what Burnout said, particularly since the survivabiity of hp is multiplied up by things like charms. At the same time, taking less damage is more useful as it allows heals to be more effective.
    Since pdef isn't linear, it essentially means that there are points when hp would be the better investment. At the moment your pdef is low though, so what burnout said holds.

You have around 4.4k hp. This isn't bad. 1.3-1.8k pdef is very bad. Concentrate on pdef, OHT belt as mentioned is your best bet. Once you have your self buffed pdef at around 4-5k, you can work on getting your hp up...
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I wouldnt always agree with what Burnout said, particularly since the survivabiity of hp is multiplied up by things like charms. At the same time, taking less damage is more useful as it allows heals to be more effective.
    Since pdef isn't linear, it essentially means that there are points when hp would be the better investment. At the moment your pdef is low though, so what burnout said holds.

You have around 4.4k hp. This isn't bad. 1.3-1.8k pdef is very bad. Concentrate on pdef, OHT belt as mentioned is your best bet. Once you have your self buffed pdef at around 4-5k, you can work on getting your hp up...

P. def IS linear.

The simplest way to put it is like this:

Holding all other variables constant (attk lvls, def lvls, buffs are all at 0)

For every 4000 p. def you get, you get survivability equal to your hp.

So if you have 5000 hp, and 0 p. def, your survivability is 5000.

If you have 5000 hp and 4000 p. def, your survivability is 10000.

If you have 5000 hp and 8000 p. def, your survivability is 15000.

This is why people think p. def has diminishing returns. Going from 5000 to 10000 doubles your survivability, but going from 10000 to 15000 only increases it by 50%. But in reality, it's 300% of your original 5000 survivability.

So if you have 5000 hp and 0 p. def, and was deciding whether to get more hp or p. def, in order to get the same survivabilty as 8000 p. def, you'd need to get +10000 hp adds in order to equal out what p. def would give.

For another case, if you have 1000 hp, and 0 p. def, your survivability is 1000.

If you have 1000 hp and 4000 p. def, your survivability is 2000.

If you have 1000 hp and 8000 p. def, your survivability is 3000.

See where it's going?

In this case, you'd only need to get +2000 in hp adds to equal out what 8000 p. def gives. But this only holds true for VERY low hp numbers (what lvl 101 mystic has only 1000 hp?).

Of course, things get muddled up when you mix hp and p. def together. My mystic currently has ~10000 hp and ~8000 p. def, so increasing hp is slightly more effective for me than getting more p. def.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Agree on the pdef that needs to go up.

But the HP is also pathetic. Anything below 5k HP is bad for a 100+ mystic even at 3 base vit. Means you got absolutely little to no refine on gear.

HP must be easier to increase then pdef, so try to get both up?

Also investing in a cube necky is awesome. It's even better if you can +10 it. So worth it :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
    edited March 2012
    I honestly think the Elemental defense in conjunction with the HP boost has to play a role in making up for the difference.

Im R8 3 pieces all refined to +4. I cant see going higher till I figure out what Im recasting.

Acrobatic Arms & Boots, both +4. Warsoul of Heaven +7. Weapon =5. Always said to be unnecessary & too much up until this very level of 100, lol.

It will be a while before I get anywhere close to the +10/12 family of refines, as I cant afford to refine high now then turn around one day and do it all over again.

Unless, I deside to go for Nirvy gear pieces, R8 Recast will be end game for me for the foreseeable future. b:surrender

Anyway, I seem to take damage only very slightly faster than I used too. I just did my first Warsong and Casters today and seemed to be as strong as always.

What is the 'Achilles Heel' for Mystic R8 gear? Has to be one. Only way to esplain feeling weak at some points and fine on even harder things at other times. *throws arms open in wonder and amazement*

b:thanks
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    You could maybe get a Vibrant Jade: Order (FC Gold p def belt). I think the +p def helps a bit more than the m def for AA classes and its better than Anger of the Beast Soul.
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion Vindis. The Vit on there is certainly an attractive bonus, & the Str bonus is cool too, but if I switched up I'd be looking for the Phys Def & Vit bonuses.

Aside from providing me the precious Vit, it seems to provide the same amount of actual PDef with the +4 refine that Anger of the Beast Soul does. If the maker doesnt get the +100 PDef bonus on it, then its about 100 PDef shy of the Anger belt.

Again, I thank you, I will keep my eye out for the belt you suggest. 5 extra Vit will be nice when I find it. b:thanks
  • Marid - Dreamweaver
    Marid - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    P. def IS linear.

It's not linear...
    5000 pdef at lvl 100 gives a 56% damage reduction
    10000 pdef at 100 gives a 72% damage reduction
    15000 pdef at 100 gives a 79% damage reduction

If I have to explain why that's not linear, I really can't be bothered to take the time to do so...
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    It's not linear...
    5000 pdef at lvl 100 gives a 56% damage reduction
    10000 pdef at 100 gives a 72% damage reduction
    15000 pdef at 100 gives a 79% damage reduction

If I have to explain why that's not linear, I really can't be bothered to take the time to do so...

Kitty`s head is fuzzy atm and he was wondering if it was just him or if the post didnt make sense. I really shouldnt bother even looking at math outside Archer subforums.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o