Is channel speed really that important?

fierymorning
fierymorning Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2012 in Cleric
If it is, how is it important? Most of the skills have a short channel time anyway :/ Looking forward to your answers b:cute
Post edited by fierymorning on

Comments

• Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    P.def is far more important than channeling speed
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    P.def is far more important than channeling speed

This.

A decent amount of channeling is useful, but I'd never suggest sacrificing PDef or HP in order to increase channeling.

Seeing clerics run around in elemental belts and necks with inc. channeling makes poor old Ted b:cry

Speaking for a PvE standpoint only of course. I've not enough PvP experience to comment from that end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The simple answer is it's not very important to your success as a cleric in any situation in the game. We don't take forever to channel the majority of our skills. You can boost your channeling speed so long as you do not impede your ability to survive. Regardless of PvE or PvP, you are useless if you are dead. At that point, it is irrelevant how much -chan you have. :p

There is some gear in the game that gives bonuses to both survival and -chan (TT90 gold wrists, for example, or good OHT wrists). This is what you want to use. I had a base of 27 and that was good enough for me in PvE and PvP. I know clerics with more, and I see many running around with elemental ornaments... all the time... =/
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Clerics are a reasonably fast casting class and our channeling and cast time tends to be about equal, which means we only get half the total reduction with -channeling gear anyways. Because alot of arcane gear contains - channeling anyways, without even looking for it, my cleric is going to land somewhere between 30-40% total, which is about perfect. Some skill cooldowns will start overlapping and glitch above that.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I also agree that you don't want to sacrifice pdef and hp for channeling. That extra hp and pdef goes a long ways. If you want to have it, then have a channeling necklace or belt to switch up with, but definately have a pdef one.

As you stated earlier, cleric skills are already fast without it...and sage magic shell grants -20 channeling to those who choose that path.

I also speak from a pve perspective, when the most pvp experience I've had is dueling, so I cannot appropriately cover pvp. That said, I know enough to know that a cleric's natural weakness is physical damage, and being robe wearers, we need all of the pdef that we can get. Thus, using necklaces and belts to increase these is always a plus, and will increase your survivability against these attacks.

I'm also not an overgeared cleric. My gear is decent at best. Yet I have outhealed clerics that have much better gear, and higher levels than I have.

My gear is TT90, my necklace in a level 95 pdef one, my belt is the 4th map pdef one, I have a stage 1 tome, 2 magic rings, and my refines are mostly +3. My belt is +4, and I've been called an excellent cleric, and one that rarely dies,...and that's in an age where my competition is R7, R8, Nirvana geared, TT99 geared, and Lunar geared clerics...yet I still get called because I'll heal the squad, and die that little doing so. Part of the reason that I'm able to take the hits that do come to me is because I use physical def ornaments...and I'm not a cleric that can't take a hit either...nor one that uses a squad for anything aside from instances, and bosses found on the map. I solo everything else...including some of the map bosses as well, and its due to the pdef ornaments that I even survive.

@Ted: Seeing clerics in elemental ornaments make me smh some too. Lol.

I know that its a long essay, and a little jumbled, but I'm tired, so...yeah. Hope that the information helps though. :D
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    swapping stuff (if you can afford it; -chan is a bit overpriced usually) could be useful; a fast revive, setting up BB. although, the extra speed will make a difference in a really tough situation in which case extra defense might be more useful.
    Seeing clerics run around in elemental belts and necks with inc. channeling makes poor old Ted b:cry

what should I do when I see psys with those ornaments? b:chuckle
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Lord_Vanya - Heavens Tear
    Lord_Vanya - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Only time i worried much about channeling gear was the stuff I kept in bank for when my Veno went taming haha.
    edited March 2012
    Stuff

Happened to run past you in Morai earlier.

Get a better cape b:chuckle

Rest is pretty solid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SxeChik - Archosaur
    SxeChik - Archosaur Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I used to think -chan is the best back in the old day b:shocked But after a few times I've encountered bosses in warsong/3-1, -chan was no longer listed on my wish list. I keep my -chan around -33% to -39% and to me that's enough (seen cleric with -54%chan >"<)

Since I never PK, only duels (about 5% of the entire time I play), mostly I run instances a lot, so I choose HP shards (those go with my 180 vit. helps me a lot against CRAZY aoe's) b:chuckle But if you go for tw, then you would definitely need phy. def. b:pleased
    Insanity b:thanks
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Happened to run past you in Morai earlier.

Get a better cape b:chuckle

Rest is pretty solid.

Lol. Yeah. My cape is ****...well...beyond **** at this point. Lol. b:shedtear b:cry I'll get it changed when I get a few immacs for a new one. Its just serving for now until then. Lol. b:laugh

*Looks at crappy cape, and prepares it for alts. XD*
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    For me, defense, hp, and channeling are all important. acknowledge the fact that when one of the three increase, the other two generally decrease.

Therefore, at high levels, its nice to have both a channeling necklace and belt for special ocassions, as well as puzzle cube/warsong belt/jungle belt/other def and hp belts for other ocassions. same with the rings: its nice to have a set of highly refined defense rings for survival purposes, as well as a set of rank rings (or other rings that give channeling) in other cases.

Generally, in pk, defense rings are the way to go (generally), while in PVE, if you already have enough hp from your armors, you will need that extra channeling and magic attack from your rings, so PVE default rings are magic.

Same with capes. You might want to keep a cloudcharger/elite leather/matchless wings when you're trying to survive, while you may use a calm robe if you think you have enough hp/def from other stuff. Switching back and forth is pretty useful.

This post is very general so please do not hate on me personally if you have opposing opinions.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    This post is very general so please do not hate on me personally if you have opposing opinions.

Your post is fine, and I agree that swapping gear allows for greater flexibility (like someone said earlier for pulling off a faster revive or BB channel). The one addendum I'd like to make is that gear flexibility comes out to a greater investment in money. That's not really an excuse for having decent gear, I just wanted to point out that not everyone will keep a set of highly refined phys rings for pvp.
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Your post is fine, and I agree that swapping gear allows for greater flexibility (like someone said earlier for pulling off a faster revive or BB channel). The one addendum I'd like to make is that gear flexibility comes out to a greater investment in money. That's not really an excuse for having decent gear, I just wanted to point out that not everyone will keep a set of highly refined phys rings for pvp.

First of all, thanks for not insulting my post, because a lot of people do insult each other in forums these days.

And on Decus' point, I would like to add to the thread saying that in the case money becomes an issue, its best to look at what kind of stuff one does more, like aoe (channeling important to prevent cancels), BB (def more important because chan doesnt affect heal speed), and PK (def important), etc. Personally, i dont pk and i aoe grind and stuff so i got a chan neck and puzzle cube, and chan rings.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • _vaiya_ - Lost City
    _vaiya_ - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    channeling gear isn't all that important. i'd say that it's actually one of the least important things for a cleric. the only time i can think of when channeling gear would be good is during pvp. it's a nice option to have but only when you're happy with all the rest of your stats, including phys def, HP amount and mag atk.
  • Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver
    Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Clerics are a reasonably fast casting class and our channeling and cast time tends to be about equal, which means we only get half the total reduction with -channeling gear anyways. Because alot of arcane gear contains - channeling anyways, without even looking for it, my cleric is going to land somewhere between 30-40% total, which is about perfect. Some skill cooldowns will start overlapping and glitch above that.

YES!! I dont go after - chann so to speak, but if the gear I want happens to have it b:pleased great. It's also very true that if you get too much - chann then your skills and macros will stall = not good in combat.
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I suggest having 2 sets. One for chan gear and one for your real gear.

The only time I switch to chan gear is 1) if theres a squad that honest to god needs SPAM heals or 2) I'm not taking damage, nobody else needs heals, and I'm free to DD for a bit.

Atm I'm only -20% chan and thats plenty fast enough. Can get up to -70% if I want, but there just isn't a reason to do it most of the time. Work on your defence more than chan. Most players don't need IH thrown at them 70% faster to survive in this game.

Edit: And it is also true that when you reach a certain chan amount it will mess up your macros.
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    My philosophy when it comes to gear is "whatever works." Unless you plan to TW or PK, you don't need fantastic gear to survive in PvE. Okay, maybe in cube, but that's VERY situational as you'll only really need it if rooms 14 and 34 if you don't have the do-alls to pass instantly.

If you want both channeling and good all-around defense, go for rank 8. I never had channeling as a priority when it comes to gear, but I ended up with -18% channeling in total from rank 8 alone. Very nice bonus! b:chuckle

Also, don't worry about clerics that wear elemental -chan belts on the map while grinding/questing/killing stuff, but I'd get worried if you're in an instance where the boss has a physical AOE. I recently tried out the rank 7 belt (an elemental belt - no channeling, but still nice bonuses) and it's fantastic for killing magic mobs. So yes, there is some benefit to using elemental belts. Just don't wear them when you PK or when you're in an instance where you can expect to take damage, especially phys damage.

Regardless, I mostly use physical defense belts in general PvE. Those never have channeling, but the hp and physical defense bonuses help a ton. That's probably why even if my cleric has decent gear and not very impressive ornaments, he's pretty tough in PvE. In TW, only recast rank 8 or rank 9 may save you from being one shotted... and even if you do have them, you might get one shotted anyways! b:shocked
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Banndit - Heavens Tear
    Banndit - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Heres another way of looking at it. For most of us, avoiding car accident on the road can be difficult so for safty reason, we don't ride motor bikes but drive sedan cars instead. Most of us can't appreciate a sporty car so spending the extra money on them will just go to wast. On the other hand, for some people, having the extras sports car come with makes a big difference in terms of driving pleasure.

Def/hp are a must have and a min amount are required depending on the situation you are in. Imo chan gears are for those who can meet those min requirements or those who can get away with having low def/hp.

My guess, most that use chan gears don't use them to make things easier but to creat more possiblities with them such as faster runs, throwing more heals when demanded, allowing dds to do more, and enabling riskier runs etc. Chan gears aren't necessary but in some cases, they compliment some peoples play style, such as people who are naturally fast with quick reflex, who can read what their squade members are doing and predict what they going to do next quickly.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Chan is good but not as much as p.def and hp like other said.

If you are or plan be R8 you will get -6%chan by the weap, chest and ring, if u use TT90 gold or TT99 sleeve you'll get a other 6, which mean total -24% chan which is really decent and enough, but if u want more you can also get lunar ring that give 6 too and 250p.def., and if u can get TT99 boots you'll get a bonus -3%.

So you can get a good chan without chan ornement. I have 36% chan on my cleric and 4.5k p.def and 6.2k hp, yea i could change ornement for chan one and loose 1.1k pdef and still have around 3.4k pdef unbuffed, seriously even with my 36% chan i need to wait the skill cd anyway so that dont worth to loose p.def for more chan than needed, so even if u have 76% chan, that change nothing about the fact u need wait the cd of the skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    When you reach lvl 100 your get your channeling naturally with tt99 and r8.
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    When you reach lvl 100 your get your channeling naturally with tt99 and r8.

tt99,r8? meh, sleeves of the sea captain: how else could a 100 cleric manage to have <3k hp so he can go splat at final caster boss? b:avoid
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    tt99,r8? meh, sleeves of the sea captain: how else could a 100 cleric manage to have <3k hp so he can go splat at final caster boss? b:avoid

sleeves of sea capt are awesome i used it til i was lvl101 lolll
  • ETHA// - Sanctuary27
    ETHA// - Sanctuary27 Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I run around most of the time in channeling ornaments, however I swap to phys defense ones if I notice my squad sometimes doesn't bother to agro half the mobs. (If I can handle the mobs, I do heal, if not... I'll just rez xD)

But well... I personally just love channeling... I swap to channeling ornaments too when healing a boss without aoe/weak aoe to ditch in some attacks, or faster heals. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our hearts are filled with the will to survive
    In this last night of their life
  • Airstorm - Dreamweaver
    Airstorm - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    If it is, how is it important? Most of the skills have a short channel time anyway :/ Looking forward to your answers b:cute

depends how u play phys def and hp can be fixed by armor with vit stats and hp shards or pdef i have 42% chan so far and is gr8 faster i heal better i stay alive lol i rarely die unlike other ppl i use meat too when i need anw is ur choice chan or not b:chuckle depends on how u play
  • cloudmistress
    cloudmistress Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    channeling gear isn't all that important. i'd say that it's actually one of the least important things for a cleric. the only time i can think of when channeling gear would be good is during pvp. it's a nice option to have but only when you're happy with all the rest of your stats, including phys def, HP amount and mag atk.

+1 to this
  • ellero
    ellero Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    My cleric got -45% chan and its not even lvl 99 b:laugh

I just love how fast it heals etc... b:bye
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Are people so lazy that they can't use both on the hot-bar, switched circumstantially?
    re
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Are people so lazy that they can't use both on the hot-bar, switched circumstantially?

whut?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
    edited April 2012
    I've always kept channeling ornaments in my inventory.

Last time I put them on? About 2 and a half years ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    I've always kept channeling ornaments in my inventory.

Last time I put them on? About 2 and a half years ago.

^
    This.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]