Relocating

Options
Sagek - Sanctuary
Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I've seen the threads, you've seen the threads.

People are upset about the lack of life in each of the servers. I know it is possible and I know it will be more than a headache, But I think it would do sooooo much good if we were given the choice to move 1 character to another server. Now I am not sure of the logistics of this, I do not know if it is within the control of PWE or if they have to contact someone at PWRD.. but face it the games been going on for years, people have had a chance to make friends on other servers and some even regret starting on the server they did but they've already spent the time and money on that char so starting a new server would be a waste of money. honestly the servers have been dwindled down to only hardcore players and the rare new person.

This is the kinda of thing you do when you've tried everything else.

Balance of power.
To this I can only say, "Hell ya". r9's are bored and have become complacent this would give them a Whole new challenge and stuff to deal with.

The issue of the ecconomy..
Thats already screwed to hell, adding this can either do 1 of two things, fix it or keep it broke.

If having empty servers is going to be an issue due to the company not wanting too look like it is empty and sucks. than take them down remove any refrence to them and use that money for improvements on this game.

With a little planning and time scheduling you can even start running events twice a day once every 12 hours so that there is a time that people can do it in the US and then a time for those in EU..

I think it's time for PWI to be consolidated and then worked on and then re expanded
but thats my 2 cents.

Anyways I figured I would make this a poll to see if anyone feels like wise.

I understand the fall backs but def see this move as something that will bennefit this game and community if it is done, correctly.
Post edited by Sagek - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I don't see any benefit to this except moving a character to another server without having to pay to level up another one. Did you ever think this? What about the scammers that rip people off in runs all the time? rip off a whole server move to a new one.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I don't see any benefit to this except moving a character to another server without having to pay to level up another one. Did you ever think this? What about the scammers that rip people off in runs all the time? rip off a whole server move to a new one.....

There are going to always be issues, but with a well thought out plan, you will have ways to over come situations like that.

But that is why I am saying allow it to happen 1 time for 1 character.

Yes, they will take a hit but in the long run it will do more good then harm.
  • OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Balance of power.
    ...this would give them a Whole new challenge and stuff to deal with.

I fail to see how this would give them a whole new challenge... afaik, its the same map, quest, mobs, events... just the name of the server is different... Now if you are referring to PK, well it's still the same chit... pk res pk res pk res... its like an unending washing of dishes...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jesusisback - Raging Tide
    Jesusisback - Raging Tide Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Speak for yourself.....RT is full of life. b:victory
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I fail to see how this would give them a whole new challenge... afaik, its the same map, quest, mobs, events... just the name of the server is different... Now if you are referring to PK, well it's still the same chit... pk res pk res pk res... its like an unending washing of dishes...

Yea but having new people to beat is the challenge. I mean if you give an R9 whos never been beat someone who can beat them, thats a good thing.

this suggestion is not something that is going to change the way PWI is, it will just bring more people together and allow alot more people to enjoy this game as well as encouraging people to tell their friends about this game. No one is going to spread the word about this game if the server is dead and the only people on their server are either D.heads or Drama starters.

The point of allowing the move is so that people who have high lvls and hate the people they are forced to stay around have the opportunity to move to a server with more like minded people and not lose anything.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Speak for yourself.....RT is full of life. b:victory

So is Sanctuary
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

They do this already. Rip off people, send goods to holder account, get ripoff account banned, make a new one using a different IP, repeat.

I'm on the fence about this. I foresee Archo going from a ghost town to being a house with the lights off and nobody home. And TBH, that probably needs to happen anyway. But on the other hand, I think people should move to Archo, simply because it spreads out load between servers. But, you can't ask established people to just move... Make it so new people can only create new characters on Archo.

Then there's the problem of those people who leveled up to 102, or glitched to 105 on a PVE server, and want to switch to a PVP server. Now they have R9+12 with full DoT or JOSD and are suuuuuper OP, but they didn't have to deal with a PVP environment to get there. At least, that's what Frankie says. Easy solution is to make it so if you're on a PVP server, you can only move to the other PVP server. On a PVE server, can only move to another PVE server. On the French server? Well, good, stay there.

This is another issue where the PWE staff is being uncommunicative and unsupportive, it's obviously something a lot of people want.

I see WC's all day long 'want to trade my coins here for your coins on RT/HT/Archo (hah)/wherever.

But then, this game was designed by idiots and college students learning how to make games, not by actual professionals, so there's a chance that the PWE devs don't even have the code access required (or the KNOWLEDGE) on how to make a character move service even work. I suspect this may be the reason that we don't have Unbinding charms here, even though they do in PWCN.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    They do this already. Rip off people, send goods to holder account, get ripoff account banned, make a new one using a different IP, repeat.

I'm on the fence about this. I foresee Archo going from a ghost town to being a house with the lights off and nobody home. And TBH, that probably needs to happen anyway. But on the other hand, I think people should move to Archo, simply because it spreads out load between servers. But, you can't ask established people to just move... Make it so new people can only create new characters on Archo.

Then there's the problem of those people who leveled up to 102, or glitched to 105 on a PVE server, and want to switch to a PVP server. Now they have R9+12 with full DoT or JOSD and are suuuuuper OP, but they didn't have to deal with a PVP environment to get there. At least, that's what Frankie says. Easy solution is to make it so if you're on a PVP server, you can only move to the other PVP server. On a PVE server, can only move to another PVE server. On the French server? Well, good, stay there.

This is another issue where the PWE staff is being uncommunicative and unsupportive, it's obviously something a lot of people want.

I see WC's all day long 'want to trade my coins here for your coins on RT/HT/Archo (hah)/wherever.

But then, this game was designed by idiots and college students learning how to make games, not by actual professionals, so there's a chance that the PWE devs don't even have the code access required (or the KNOWLEDGE) on how to make a character move service even work. I suspect this may be the reason that we don't have Unbinding charms here, even though they do in PWCN.

I like the PvE can only move to PvE and like wise with PvP. I think that would keep a lot of the balance that otherwise might be loss. But people should have the option at least once. I personally wouldn't leave sanctuary, but I do know of some who would want to move here.
  • Kirstiein - Sanctuary
    Kirstiein - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    While this is a sound and well thought out plan, its impossible for pwi to do. Each server has its own database, and each account (thats means all chars on that account) have a number and a spot inside the database. Pwi cannot combine the databases or add things from other databases. If the attempt was made it would crash the databases and all things on those databases will be lost. You can dream about this all you want, but it comes down to the fact that it cannot be done.

Example: lets say my account number on Sac was 54, and my friend on dreamweaver also has number 54, if I put my account on dreamweaver it would overwrite my friends account, and visa versa.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    While this is a sound and well thought out plan, its impossible for pwi to do. Each server has its own database, and each account (thats means all chars on that account) have a number and a spot inside the database. Pwi cannot combine the databases or add things from other databases. If the attempt was made it would crash the databases and all things on those databases will be lost. You can dream about this all you want, but it comes down to the fact that it cannot be done.

Example: lets say my account number on Sac was 54, and my friend on dreamweaver also has number 54, if I put my account on dreamweaver it would overwrite my friends account, and visa versa.

It is possible, it's just a matter of them feeling like it is worth the effort. I understand that this has been asked over and over again and I understand how in the past this might not have been a worth while endeavor, but as time progresses and servers become more and more noticeably empty this starts becoming more and more valid.
  • OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

While this is true, it may be possible for GMs to recreate that character by punching in some numbers and creating a new ID tag for that said character. The only thing i can think of not being touched is the character customization. Then again i guess this is why GMs dont want to bother such a hassle xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ijs other versions of PW have merged servers. And it's two databases. Yes, you would have to find a way to make both exist next to each other but it is possible.

As for the question: I simply don't see it needed. More people wouldn't solve the problems this generarion of players got. And Sanctuary is far from dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ijs other versions of PW have merged servers. And it's two databases. Yes, you would have to find a way to make both exist next to each other but it is possible.

As for the question: I simply don't see it needed. More people wouldn't solve the problems this generarion of players got. And Sanctuary is far from dead.

Well it's arguable if there is a need for it. As far it fixing all the problems the players are facing, I in no way think it would do that. But it would be a better fix to some of the issues that we are currently facing.
  • Kirstiein - Sanctuary
    Kirstiein - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    No it is in fact not possible. One of my friends runs a private server of pwi and when he attempted to combine two different databases, the database crashed and was not recoverable. If you combine two different databases that have different things in it they conflict and then it cant be accessed anymore because it becomes corrupted. They can add things like mounts and such because those files are in a different file then the char and account database file. In fact things like glitch fixes, mobs, mounts, etc all have there seperate files, that your client refers to when it needs to. You can modify these files and fix things in them, but you cannot take from a completely different database and add to these files. Dont mean to sound rude but you dont seem to know anything about programming and server configuration. Its not just a matter of copy and paste, because like I said each server has its own database, and each account has a number and if you try and put that number over to another database you would overwrite the same number of the other database. Its like trying to put a windows system file on an mac. It cannot be done because they are two different operating systems. Just like each servers database.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    No it is in fact not possible. One of my friends runs a private server of pwi and when he attempted to combine two different databases, the database crashed and was not recoverable. If you combine two different databases that have different things in it they conflict and then it cant be accessed anymore because it becomes corrupted. They can add things like mounts and such because those files are in a different file then the char and account database file. In fact things like glitch fixes, mobs, mounts, etc all have there seperate files, that your client refers to when it needs to. You can modify these files and fix things in them, but you cannot take from a completely different database and add to these files. Dont mean to sound rude but you dont seem to know anything about programming and server configuration. Its not just a matter of copy and paste, because like I said each server has its own database, and each account has a number and if you try and put that number over to another database you would overwrite the same number of the other database. Its like trying to put a windows system file on an mac. It cannot be done because they are two different operating systems. Just like each servers database.

Again it is possible, It is just a matter of them willing to put in the effort to do it.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And what exactly is the problem with taking the same data but saving it as another ID? I know you cannot merge them directly. But it's the same type of files. They would fit into the same database if you fixed the issue of duplicated IDs.

Sagek: I wouldn't move any character. Yea, the German server would be perfect for me. But I started on Sanc years ago. My friends are here, my stuff is. Not willing to give that up. b:surrender
    For others... I don't see which good it would do. .-.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Again it is possible, It is just a matter of them willing to put in the effort to do it.

Why should they? New character on new server=more money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sagek: I wouldn't move any character. Yea, the German server would be perfect for me. But I started on Sanc years ago. My friends are here, my stuff is. Not willing to give that up. b:surrender
    For others... I don't see which good it would do. .-.

I feel the same way, but there are people out there that want to move to other servers because it is more the game enviroment they are looking for.

It should be an option for those who want it.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Why should they? New character on new server=more money.

Can you really say that is 100% true?

I mean just because you move to another server doesn't mean you are going to quit buying stuff.. why would it?

PWE has a better chance of making money from this then hoping people are going to start a new char on a new server and get it all the way to r9 when they already in fact have an r9 on another server. it doesn't make sense.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Can you really say that is 100% true?

I mean just because you move to another server doesn't mean you are going to quit buying stuff.. why would it?

PWE has a better chance of making money from this then hoping people are going to start a new char on a new server and get it all the way to r9 when they already in fact have an r9 on another server. it doesn't make sense.
    I don't think so as a new player on new server you will need everything again. Skills, gear, inventory, everything= money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It is possible, it's just a matter of them feeling like it is worth the effort. I understand that this has been asked over and over again and I understand how in the past this might not have been a worth while endeavor, but as time progresses and servers become more and more noticeably empty this starts becoming more and more valid.

I think if it were possible they would offer it for a fee, like most other gaming companies do. I think that either they aren't allowed to because Mother China says no, or they just can't figure out how to make it work without completely borking it up and having players on the forums screaming for 2x as compensation for the down time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wall of text, my head dislikes walls. It could be done, maybe not in most practical manner but saying like "Cant be done `cause my friend couldnt..." is fallacy. It might actually be as simple as writing algorithm to redo account ID`s on database X disqualifying ID`s from database Y and there would be unique IDs for every account and those could be merged into new database w/o having those difficulties. I have no education with computers nor have I ever managed a database but to me it sounds like your friend has no competence whatsoever. I cant fit 2 pieces of bread into 1 hole in toaster w/o completely facking it over but when I put both of em in their own holes - I`ll have a nice breakfast.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Some servers ARE on the same database. Others are not. Try making any character name you have on, say, HT, on Archosaur. It won't work. By contrast, I've recreated my main with the exact same name on Lost City and it worked fine. Another example? Try making a faction on Arch with the same name as an HT faction, even if there is not a faction by that name on Arch. Doesn't work.

But either way, as Xainou points out, the data can still be moved over. The ID numbers just won't be the same. What's stopping PWE from sending the same create-character commands that a player can send, with a pre-existing character appearance/build/inventory/etc. as pulled directly from their data on the sending database? All they would need to do is lock down the sending server so no one can get on and change the data in the meantime.

The only problem I forsee with this is if someone has eight characters on one server, they will have no room to accommodate characters from the other on their same account (and that IS possible to do... hell, I've logged my HT chars and Arch char on from the same account at the same time). But frankly, we've needed to do away with that 8-character limit for awhile now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    While it's possible to merge/combine databases It will never happen. PWE has no plans on ever allowing players to transfer accounts from one server to another and Support/Admins have already commented on this in previous threads. The only way to play on other servers is to create a toon and level it from scratch.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    While it's possible to merge/combine databases It will never happen. PWE has no plans on ever allowing players to transfer accounts from one server to another and Support/Admins have already commented on this in previous threads. The only way to play on other servers is to create a toon and level it from scratch.

Yea, I was hesitent to post the thread, but in my opinion the idea needs to be reevaluated. I understand when this was asked for before the servers had a decent amount of players and really it was a moot point. but now adays it is becoming more and more obvious that, that isn't the case anymore, having a player base that is stretched thin is not a smart move.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    yeah if there was a option to move to anotehr server i would go t oa east coast server...if they have one
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I voted no. Allowing it would pull server merging completely off the table and make people pay money to relocate and PWE will milk every last dollar from it. How many alts do you want to move? You'll probably have to pay for each character, knowing PWE.

PWE needs to merge some servers. This would remove any possibility of it. No.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I voted no. Allowing it would pull server merging completely off the table and make people pay money to relocate and PWE will milk every last dollar from it. How many alts do you want to move? You'll probably have to pay for each character, knowing PWE.

PWE needs to merge some servers. This would remove any possibility of it. No.

Merge servers, move players, isn't that asking for basicly the samething?
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Merge servers, move players, isn't that asking for basicly the samething?

Nope. merging would just pool up the servers.
    Allowing to transfer characters would probably result in bored people hopping around over and over :p And people who want to stay just can stay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Semis_Inferi - Archosaur
    Semis_Inferi - Archosaur Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    X.X

acct 54 dreamweaver[hardcopy account],change number to 5454,relocate?

acct 54 sanc,[hardcopy account],change number to 5445,relocate to same?

its not very hard o.o it just takes a little thinking...i do this all the time when saving random articles from the web,sometimes i need more than one copy of something,so i just type a random prefix,with an identifyer that i can easily recognize,to continue my work (a hobby of mine is editing songs on my comp)

and as for the alt account problem....they could do it this way

make it so that you choose an identifyer number(could be any random number and letter combo),and then input your ip address (the system would match the input with what yer ip address is,so you couldnt foul it up)....

making sure you write down your identifyer code that you made..the system would search the account database,find the ones with your ip address on them only,since they were made...it would tag these accounts with the identifyer code you made...

this identifyer code would be similar to acct name making,in that you couldnt choose one someone else already has

and then when it comes time for the merger or move to new cluster server...you could input the username and pass of your main acct,plus the identifyer code..and then the transfer process would begin

:P