Please be wary of Phishing Sites!

frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

"Phishing is a way of attempting to acquire information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication."

In our games, most phishing attempts occur through either:

1. World Chat
2. In-game mail
3. In-game private messages

Most of these attempts offer promises of free ZEN, free coins, or free leveling.

If any player attempts to direct you to any website while in-game, please be extra-cautious. Phishing sites generally try to copy the look of the official PWI website, and prompt you to enter your username and password. Once they get your information, you'll immediately get booted off your account while they ransack your characters.

So please be extra careful any time you are prompted for your PWE username and password, and if you do suspect a player of attempting to lead you to a dangerous site, please submit a ticket and let us know.

Thanks, and stay safe!
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

"Phishing is a way of attempting to acquire information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication."

In our games, most phishing attempts occur through either:

1. World Chat
    2. In-game mail
    3. In-game private messages

Most of these attempts offer promises of free ZEN, free coins, or free leveling.

If any player attempts to direct you to any website while in-game, please be extra-cautious. Phishing sites generally try to copy the look of the official PWI website, and prompt you to enter your username and password. Once they get your information, you'll immediately get booted off your account while they ransack your characters.

So please be extra careful any time you are prompted for your PWE username and password, and if you do suspect a player of attempting to lead you to a dangerous site, please submit a ticket and let us know.

Thanks, and stay safe!

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1305961&page=24
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    A. Why wasn't his posted the second these forums were made? I don't know who the original CM was - Spoons was hired shortly after I started playing so it was whoever came before him probably . . but whoever it was needs a good *** whooping for missing the most obvious sticky in the world.

B.) Why wait months after tons of people started losing their accounts through the most recent wave of rampant phishing sites to make a statement that couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes to post?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Agreed with FatherTed b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    5 more days marks 1 month since my wife got ****. GMs still haven't even talked to her about items and the last response was them babbling about missing characters.... I have no idea where they got that from?

Top notch support is top notch. b:pleased
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for informing us... It's really needed... If only a friend of mom was able to read this earlier this week... At least he still would have his account then... But seeing being late is better then never... This information is highly appreciated... b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    A common source of getting "****" is a player using the same password on an account on their faction's website as on the game.

Be sure that your in game password in unique and that you don't share it with anyone and you won't be ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the heads up frankie.

But sadly you can't beat common sense into people. So someone will still fall for *free stuff*...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the heads up frankie.

But sadly you can't beat common sense into people. So someone will still fall for *free stuff*...

This heads up is about 20 accounts to late (and that's just the ones I know of).
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• CrusherJam - Dreamweaver
    CrusherJam - Dreamweaver Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    WOOT! finally people will stop posting things like

"i've been ****"

:-)
    19k Hp and rising my goal is 20k unbuffed (would love 25k )
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012

"i've been ****"

I'd so bet you on that one up for it?
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• CrusherJam - Dreamweaver
    CrusherJam - Dreamweaver Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    id have to pay you up front b:laugh
    19k Hp and rising my goal is 20k unbuffed (would love 25k )
  • lomkoe
    lomkoe Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2012
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012

But sadly you can't beat common sense into people.

The panda couldn't agree more. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited March 2012
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    http://bbs.w2i.wanmei.com/viewthread.php?tid=1912748&extra=page%3D1

We getting this frankie? This would really help out since hacking has been getting worse.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    The panda couldn't agree more. b:laugh
    I love Fuzzy's replies.
    Krisnda wrote: »
    +1 sadly.
    +1 as well.
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear
    SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Why wait months after tons of people started losing their accounts through the most recent wave of rampant phishing sites to make a statement that couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes to post?

Knowing PWE, they probably figure the people looking for free gold aren't doing too much zen-charging, so **** 'em. Basically anything PWE does can be traced back to that focal point. You should see the next game they're coming out with: "Skinner Box".
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited March 2012

"i've been ****"

"I've been ****" almost always really means "I gave my info to someone I shouldn't have" or "I use the same login and password for more sites/services than I should".

It's kind of sad that instead of eliciting sympathy, "I've been ****" pretty much just elicits /facehoof'ing.

The bottom line is you shouldn't give your information to anyone, regardless of how much you think you can trust them. Hell, my own RL husband doesn't know the passwords to any of my game accounts.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    http://bbs.w2i.wanmei.com/viewthread.php?tid=1912748&extra=page%3D1

We getting this frankie? This would really help out since hacking has been getting worse.

Totally agreed with Traz +1 this thing actually helps a lot . Would be nice if u enforce this sms alert thing in game . b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    A common source of getting "****" is a player using the same password on an account on their faction's website as on the game.

Be sure that your in game password in unique and that you don't share it with anyone and you won't be ****.

Very true and good advice. b:victory
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I agree with Xainou....
    but anyways... I liked Sihndra's post more b:surrender b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2012

Very true and good advice. b:victory

Thirded. Very good advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Savini - Lost City
    Savini - Lost City Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    While we're on the subject, I don't check my email often, and I noticed last time that I've been getting email lately, saying something like "helpfull tips for your level" from PWI support. I just want to make sure these are legit, as some spammers have been able to copy and use "doppleganger" email addresses from legit sites to send spam and viruses in the past.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    While we're on the subject, I don't check my email often, and I noticed last time that I've been getting email lately, saying something like "helpfull tips for your level" from PWI support. I just want to make sure these are legit, as some spammers have been able to copy and use "doppleganger" email addresses from legit sites to send spam and viruses in the past.

They are "legit".

You can receive above emails every time your character become level 19, 29,39,49,59,69,79,89,99 ... when you can get new cultivation level.
  • Savini - Lost City
    Savini - Lost City Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    They are "legit".

You can receive above emails every time your character become level 19, 29,39,49,59,69,79,89,99 ... when you can get new cultivation level.
    Thanks Toliman. I thought it probably was, but "better safe than sorry" these days. Can't be too carefull. :)
  • Manostra - Harshlands
    Manostra - Harshlands Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    A. Why wasn't his posted the second these forums were made? I don't know who the original CM was - Spoons was hired shortly after I started playing so it was whoever came before him probably . . but whoever it was needs a good *** whooping for missing the most obvious sticky in the world.

B.) Why wait months after tons of people started losing their accounts through the most recent wave of rampant phishing sites to make a statement that couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes to post?

Sorry but that remind me of that old granny who sued a US company because they didnt wrote in the manual of their microwave that you cant dry wet dogs with it.

Whoever got Pished is at their own fault its a nice reminder from pwi to tell the obvious again but the sole responsibility for your account safety is by the user. When it read this it sound that pwi is responsible in any way for the account hacking.
    I hate Room 38
    edited March 2012
    Sorry but that remind me of that old granny who sued a US company because they didnt wrote in the manual of their microwave that you cant dry wet dogs with it.

Whoever got Pished is at their own fault its a nice reminder from pwi to tell the obvious again but the sole responsibility for your account safety is by the user. When it read this it sound that pwi is responsible in any way for the account hacking.

I lol'd pretty hard. Thanks for that.

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I agree with Xainou....
    but anyways... I liked Sihndra's post more b:surrender b:avoid

+1

Frankie, please ask Sihndra for creative writing lessons. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ushira - Lost City
    Ushira - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Well I know two people already hit by this....hopefully it gets sorted out soon. xD I was paranoid enough that i restored my computer back a ways and then changed all my info that i could too on both of my accounts and urged my friends to do the same.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Too bad most of the people that gets **** doesn't browse the forums(I assume),until they feel the need to make a thread about them being ****.
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry