Storyline?

Options
Sagek - Sanctuary
Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
What happened to it? Does anyone remember it? Would you enjoy things more if there was a more indepth storyline? Would you like more quest that are class specific?

Also would you be against them rearranging the way Arch looked?
Post edited by Sagek - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A good question: how many people read quests?

I'm personally writing out a nice little backstory that the game gives us for Frostcovered City. It's a nice questline.

I'm also going in-depth with Twilight Temple (Holy Hall).

Next huge plan of action? Chrono wheel, and THAT back story.

Any others you want me to look in to?
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • Yusiong - Lost City
    Yusiong - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    a story line for classes would be awesome but not many people would read it since anymore its frost to 100 buy gears and complain there is nothing to do anymore
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

~A naked BM is a happy BM~
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    once upon a time, a chinese game developer made a game, then there were some minor localization changes, then lots of people spent money on the game, that was marketed as free to play, and the forums became over run with people crying about people spending their money to win.

the end
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yusiong - Lost City
    Yusiong - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    once upon a time, a chinese game developer made a game, then there were some minor localization changes, then lots of people spent money on the game, that was marketed as free to play, and the forums became over run with people crying about people spending their money to win.

the end

you forgot when the people that complain about the sales then still go and spend money on it.
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

~A naked BM is a happy BM~
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    you forgot when the people that complain about the sales then still go and spend money on it.

thats in there too, its just not explicitly laid out =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

waaaait thats the next expansion chapter pff you ruined the movie u_u
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This isn't like Blizzard's MMO, where everything actually makes sense and is connected. It's all disjointed, mostly pointless, and the questlines are all... short. Blizzard's MMO, the questlines are huge. Can take you weeks to complete entire ones, and have many elements. Granted, they have more advanced features, including 'kill XXXXX NPC', which Wanmei... Probably will never figure out. But, uh, the quests are all in a huge, long chain, moving you from one area to the next.

It's still a grind to kill X number of mobs for Y drops, or kill X number of mobs because Y NPC is pissed off that one of them peed in his shoe, but there is a commonality element that is completely missing in PW. It's sorta there in Morai, but they got lazy and allowed you to do it way out of order, went 'oh ****' and invented the entire time paradox bs, and more or less ruined it.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'd probably be more interested in storyline if they weren't always so tl;dr-esque.
    Maybe add some cinematic like many other mmo's.
  • /eren - Dreamweaver200
    /eren - Dreamweaver200 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    OP also asked how we felt about changing archos look. i can take that question a number of ways. do you mean change it from a giant gridwork square to a different shape? or giving the city a makeover to tellus or RT standards? if they did a remodel they would also need to redo lost plume etherblade 1k and DW. i personally like the square grid look. however i would strongly request an NPC transfer to a different location. such as the marriage quest NPC to say the north part somewhere so ppl dont lag and DC trying to start MQ. and also duke blacke to the bottom of the harbor would also be a nice NPC movementb:laugh and really i dont mind the older looks to the towns...i dont lag in them -.-
  • brideinred
    brideinred Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

+1

Some people just lose this part of the game. Maybe because some quests motivations are really silly/dumb, but others are really funny. Some of the new Morai quests have funny dialogs. I hardly lose more than 30 secs reading a dialog page.

Damn I read books for hobby and people complaining of texts with about 20 sentences.

It can be very very useful too. I learned the Endless Universe rules and tips reading the NPC dialogs, not the broken guide on the forums (IMO).
  • KingCrash - Dreamweaver
    KingCrash - Dreamweaver Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm personally writing out a nice little backstory that the game gives us for Frostcovered City. It's a nice questline.

You can do the Tideborn questline story. Not sure if you're limiting yourself to just instance storylines though. I didn't start bothering to read that questline a little until after Goshiki died. heh.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    There are some long questlines with stories:
    The cultivation chain is the main one of course (which includes the 'go back in time and mess it up' chain; - which even has choices in it!); there's also quite a lot about the exploration of TT and, as people mentioned, the tideborn ones. (Supertrout!)

And each of the main races has a nice set of quests from 1-20 many of which tie together to give a backstory - and even tie to the other races; you have to play at least three characters to get the full view of the old elf-vs-human-vs-untamed wars and the story of the winged tiger.

Problem is, they are mostly very badly written (or maybe translated); very easy to skip; impossible to re-read - and for every nice long bit of quest there's a "Yes Ok / I've got it" response. (Though Morai *mocks* those, and in some places is really genuinely funny: "Just tell me what you want me to kill already" being a particularly standout one)

So yeah - this is genuinely a playerbase problem. There IS a lot of backstory, and a lot of nice little touches. People just don't go looking for it. (Oh! The heaven/hell quests that don't show up in your quest finder, those are somewhat interlinked too)
  • gyroki
    gyroki Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This was an issue to me since server start: the small in-game font never motivated me to read anything. When i started in lost city i even had probs to kill flowers which didnt attack me... I didnt read any text from very beginning.

It would be way better (or up-to date since 6-10 years?) when NPCs would have a voice and when there would be a situational in-game music which puts across a spirit. Vidoe games r no books, they r more like interactive movies (and i dont like video sequences in games btw).

The chinese devs were able to create a nice graphical artwork, but were not able to arouse feelings/emotions. U can still c it when they try to make trailors, they r always a pain to watch and look very unprofessional (= dont transport any storyline).

But ive arranged myself with the game as it is. My main in-game motivation is to gear up (it stimulates my collector instinct lol) and chat.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    In this game not exist even one quest, which necessary to be read to understand aim of the quest.

Exist games where you need to read quest's information to choose way at which will move your character or else ...

And this is one where you are like in "You Can Be The Stainless Steel Rat" by Harry Harrison, even worse, because in 90% of quests you must do one possible task only.

There are (at PWI) of course, Pay or gather materials option (not related with storyline) to increase bank's storage or Demon / Sage cultivation (among other 10% of quests).
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'm guilty of hardly reading any quests. Most of them just come down to... "oh those wraiths are annoying! Go gather 50 of their heads!"
    wtf are those npc's doing anyway with all those bodyparts D: ?
    Eyeballs, toes, heads, wings, hearts...
    ._.

I did read the tideborn quest line, the winged tiger(so sad D:), chrono half-ish ._.", read all the EG-quests, the quest about the venomancer and archer at dreaming stronghold, the quest about the elder of 1k streams and his lost lover(which was a veno :D), the quest about the banker and the elf guard, and currently reading the Morai-quests.

I also remember reading a quest from east barrier village... The flying machine of the npc's had dropped down.... ._. what year are we in?
    I prolly forgot some... and I prolly read more quests already than half the pwi-community XD!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Options
    You can do the Tideborn questline story. Not sure if you're limiting yourself to just instance storylines though. I didn't start bothering to read that questline a little until after Goshiki died. heh.

Someone already beat me to that one: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=623592

At the end of their post is the story of the entire quest. Quite lovely.

• Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Just from reading other threads a more in your face storyline for this game would be nice. I mean with it left to the players, it has become all about the economy and how to make money. Thats boring, I don't want to see the Wild adventures of a Merchant.. sitting in catshop.. fighting dragons with reasonable prices..
  • OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    When i first started playing i was reading the quest, doing every single quest that i have gotten. Over time i realized that all the quest i have been doing is all meaningless, all except the cultivation. These so called side quest aka, "side track" diverts you from the main line, which is your cultivation. Thats the only importance in this game. I have to admit, some of side quest are interesting but picking flowers for some dude who cant or kill this and i will tell you the rest of what you know is boring. I dont need to know what happened to his/her son/daughter/father/mother. And the silly goto npc one after another only to find out i wasted 1 hour of my time talking about jibber. So whenever i start a new toon for kicks, i simply kill mobs my way.

As for remodeling Archosaur, pwi has their event, the atk on archosaur. We had so many you would think archosaur has been damaged in some way. Be nice to see some structural damage to it. Hell Elysium Village is on fire!

You know what would be nice? Monuments erected somewhere in Archosaur showing off the hero's that saved the city. If the attack on archo was weekly these hero's can be displayed.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    What happened to it? Does anyone remember it? Would you enjoy things more if there was a more indepth storyline? Would you like more quest that are class specific?

Um the storyline finished, didn't you finish the 4th map belt culti? 0_o, you killed(or saved) the person who was mass creating the wraiths(Spoiler: the princess of moonlight or was it twilight?), the remaining wraiths being natural created. The Elysium village storyline is finished by GBT where you kill the villain in trial nine, only storyline left is the morai one and that hasn't been finished yet.
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Um the storyline finished, didn't you finish the 4th map belt culti? 0_o, you killed(or saved) the person who was mass creating the wraiths(Spoiler: the princess of moonlight or was it twilight?), the remaining wraiths being natural created. The Elysium village storyline is finished by GBT where you kill the villain in trial nine, only storyline left is the morai one and that hasn't been finished yet.

Actually, Thats what brought up this thread. I'm finishing the 4th now and and it's just.. well I can't think of what a good word would be for it. Aside from the cult questline and being here as long as I have. I would have never known anything about the PW mythology or the history to each of the classes. I know it's there, but you really have to seek it out to know anything.. Maybe it's the quest windows that makes people not really pay attention. Maybe it's the fact the citys are lifeless, or lacking any kind of reality to them.

I mean if your going to have classes have a more depth to them, How do the seekers live? Whats a house for them look like? what about the elfs do they all live under that one tree in plume?
  • Takeva - Heavens Tear
    Takeva - Heavens Tear Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

I think the only quest story I ever stuck to reading all the way through, was the goshiki and dizzy story. I don't know what made me keep wanting to read it. I don't want to give any spoilers but Goshiki dies b:sad
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I think the only quest story I ever stuck to reading all the way through, was the goshiki and dizzy story. I don't know what made me keep wanting to read it. I don't want to give any spoilers but Goshiki dies b:sad

It's one of two or three quests that made me cry in this game. b:sad

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

Also would you be against them rearranging the way Arch looked?
    i stopped reading them back in 2008 cause a good bunch of them were totally engrish =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    morai quest stories are funny ("since the fairy asked so nicely.." XD)
    culti is nice, goshiki is almost touching!

around lvl 20 though i was really tired of reading that generic npc X needs an item Y.

it's not that i dont like reading, i do like to read books; but some quests stories are very close to twilight level... lol xd
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Pwi needs a new evil villain, Instead of popping out and sending random monsters they should make it a adventure.
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the storyline is we go genocide EVERYTHING we're told to, like zombies...
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    In this game not exist even one quest, which necessary to be read to understand aim of the quest.

Apart from Culti39> The one that tells you to die in the quest text?
    Or the one on the tideborn chain that tries to trcik you into moving?
    Or the one that you can choose to free the demon or not?

Those are, admittedly, just about the only ones - but they ARE there.

More quests like those would be lovely.
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the storyline is we go genocide EVERYTHING we're told to, like zombies...
    No, no, no...you clearly didn't read it.
    The storyline is that the inhabitants of Perfect World are aspiring Dr. Frankensteins. Hence, they have you go out and about in the world killing other beings for their body parts, collecting fingernails, eyeballs, hair, and even saliva and so forth.

Actually the whole of the real story would be cool to see all together. I read it all when I did every quest and opened every map on my archer. The whole chrono world story and it connecting to the Hwilight Hemple was interesting enough. Throwing in FC and whatnot and its not all that bad.
    As far as redoing Archo......well I can go either way. Sure it'd pretty it up some, but then we'd se so much QQ over how much more it lags then. The one thing I would for certain want to see done with Archosaur is rearrange the NPC's. For example, move the wedding/wine guy out of West D:
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Apart from Culti39> The one that tells you to die in the quest text?
    Or the one on the tideborn chain that tries to trcik you into moving?
    Or the one that you can choose to free the demon or not?

Those are, admittedly, just about the only ones - but they ARE there.

More quests like those would be lovely.

Cultivation level 39 is in the list of the most frequent questions .

It has dozens of threads in our forum.

What again show, that almost nobody read information about quests.

When almost every quest has fog of information about nothing, like a background to kill x mobs to (or) gather y dropped items, any interesting stories are invisible because of frequent "skip it" action of player.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Sadly hardly anyone reads the quests and stuff. I do xD
    Goshiki had a very sweet story.

Truth is that I didn't read the Chrono one at all but as I have to do my Psychic's and Cleric's chrono I'll get the chance to.

It's a shame since some of the quests' stories are pretty good.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★