VoIP -- Mumble (Vent / Ventrilo - TS / TeamSpeak)

Sparc - Harshlands
Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
I still can't figure out why it seems like everyone that plays PWi uses Vent or TS. At least on Harshlands Vent or TS seem to be the primary VoIP clients in use.

Well, for those who don't know there is a MUCH more superior VoIP out there, and even better, it's FREE *AND* OPEN SOURCE. It's called Mumble. See a comparison of Mumble vs Vent and TS here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfF36NvoJc

Now I do understand that in the above video, they actually use TS2 (and many people have upgraded to TS3), but the latency differences between TS2 and TS3 are nominal.

Like I said, probably the BEST thing about Mumble is that it is 100% FREE, AND it's OPEN SOURCE ! (not to mention it performs better !)

You can download Mumble here:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

once you download it you can even run your own server (client and server are all in one download), without the restrictions you get in Vent or TS (like how many concurrent connections you're allowed !)

So... why keep using something inferior (especially if you're paying anything for it) ! Tell your faction/guild leaders, tell your friends, make the switch today !
Post edited by Sparc - Harshlands on

Comments

• Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    There are, indeed, factions using Mumble. My faction does. We even pay for a server (cheaper than a Vent server and better performance). PM me if you want a recommendation. They've treated me quite well so far.

Best thing about Mumble? Text-to-speech. People without mics can now communicate vocally!

The only real downside to Mumble right now is that there's no DirectX 8 overlay support. And if Genesis doesn't upgrade the PW game engine to DX9, that's a show stopper for some factions.

But yeah. Here's what one UK guild from another game has to say about it.
    And here is a more in-depth video.

Personally, I'm not advertising that we use Mumble. I want to make sure we have the edge in PvP. 60ms latency vs 300ms is a world of difference. Especially when you tack on Vent/TS's "heavy" codecs. b:victory

What makes me laugh though are the people who honestly think Skype is a valid choice for faction-wide chat. Skype was meant to replace telephones, not sitting next to someone. It's just not designed for things like PvP and other real-time things. b:bye
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    downloading mumble now to take a looksee, that latency test was pretty damn fast on mumble, i hate it when i talk over people on vent by accident :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    There are, indeed, factions using Mumble. My faction does. We even pay for a server (cheaper than a Vent server and better performance). PM me if you want a recommendation. They've treated me quite well so far.

Best thing about Mumble? Text-to-speech. People without mics can now communicate vocally!

The only real downside to Mumble right now is that there's no DirectX 8 overlay support. And if Genesis doesn't upgrade the PW game engine to DX9, that's a show stopper for some factions.

But yeah. Here's what one UK guild from another game has to say about it.
    And here is a more in-depth video.

Personally, I'm not advertising that we use Mumble. I want to make sure we have the edge in PvP. 60ms latency vs 300ms is a world of difference. Especially when you tack on Vent/TS's "heavy" codecs. b:victory

What makes me laugh though are the people who honestly think Skype is a valid choice for faction-wide chat. Skype was meant to replace telephones, not sitting next to someone. It's just not designed for things like PvP and other real-time things. b:bye

I'm sure glad to hear someone else is using Mumble :) Thank you for the recommendation offer, though I do not need it, I run all of my own servers out of my house (I have a very fast internet connection).

Anytime I see someone bring up 'vent' in game now, I always try to make sure they're aware of Mumble, because more often than not I've found most people just simply haven't even heard of it ! I did have an 'in game friend' express his interest in joining my faction (when I "open" it) only if I had or got a Vent server. Well I tipped him off to Mumble, had him connect to my server, next thing you know he's telling me he deleted Vent b:chuckle

Well, almost needless to say, I personally will never use Vent or TS again while there is mumble (let alone run any server besides a Mumble [murmur] server).
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    downloading mumble now to take a looksee, that latency test was pretty damn fast on mumble, i hate it when i talk over people on vent by accident :/

I'm pretty sure you're going to love it. So far I've had a 100% success rate, of conversions from other VoIP's to Mumble. Which currently totals 10 people. In each of the 10 cases, all 10 people had simply just never heard of Mumble before; but now they are already swearing by it =D

The silly thing is I'm not a salesman (though I may sound like one when 'pitching' Mumble LOL). I am not one of the Mumble developers, and even if I was I would not be earning a commission or any form of monetary compensation for getting people to use Mumble. I am not trying to host and 'rent' out a server. I will not benefit monetarily in any form or fashion. I just really think people should use what is the best, and so far from all VoIP's that I've seen, Mumble IS the best !
  • Dkoko - Harshlands
    Dkoko - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Another nice thing about mumble is that you don't have to create user accounts. If you use a phpbb3 forum and have full access to the mysql database either as a local or a remote connection you can actually use the phpbb3 logins to work as a username and password for mumble accounts. This can make it easier to assign groups based on rank on the forums and have it reflect the changes in mumble. I've been running mumble servers for friends for a few years and even host a faction on harshlands that use it without any problems.
    By far, I'd highly recommend using mumble over TS and vent.
  • manta2012
    manta2012 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    5 mumble hosts left

30 slots to 500 slots

very cheap :)

pay monthly only :P

hosted on a intel 8 core 24ddr3 gig
    10 gig line connection

contact

e-mail : richmantaray@yahoo.com
    msn addy : richmantaray@yahoo.com
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Do they have phantoms and binds on mumble?
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Semis_Inferi - Archosaur
    Semis_Inferi - Archosaur Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2012

can i borrow your signature pic?its pretty awesome and being an archosaur cs user id find it usefull o.o
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    manta2012 wrote: »
    5 mumble hosts left

30 slots to 500 slots

very cheap :)

pay monthly only :P

hosted on a intel 8 core 24ddr3 gig
    10 gig line connection

contact

e-mail : richmantaray@yahoo.com
    msn addy : richmantaray@yahoo.com

don't necro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I love how he compares servers and he makes the mumble in germany and the vent / teamspeak in UK. b:bye rigged test is rigged. also this is a necro yes I know but still funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • FatalFem - Heavens Tear
    FatalFem - Heavens Tear Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I dunno, I find it annoying that people cant seem to function in the game without vent. Most every TW faction you go to requires vent. The game isn't in vent, and neither is the faction.

On a side note, vent has killed 2 soundcards and 1 harddisk. I will never download it again. EVER! I'd much rather use another type of communication. It is like, some factions all the officers get on vent and forget that they are in a faction on the game. Its annoying as hell.
  • SarraLost - Sanctuary
    SarraLost - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I dunno, I find it annoying that people cant seem to function in the game without vent. Most every TW faction you go to requires vent. The game isn't in vent, and neither is the faction.

On a side note, vent has killed 2 soundcards and 1 harddisk. I will never download it again. EVER! I'd much rather use another type of communication. It is like, some factions all the officers get on vent and forget that they are in a faction on the game. Its annoying as hell.

I can see a poorly coded program killing a soundcard. But how the **** does Vent kill a HDD? Seriously, the way that this kind of program works, it shouldn't even be using your HDD that much. >_> Or did you have a failure while using vent at the same time, and just conveniently blame Vent for it?

I've got a Dual PIII server that currently won't boot, I'm sure you'd call it 'totally and irrevocably dead', throw it away, and buy a new one, but I'm relatively certain that if I got my *** off my chair and spent 5 minutes cleaning the dust out of it and reseated a few of the PCI cards in it, it would work just fine again. *Unamused*

I've used Vent. It lags PWI.

I've used TS. It lags PWI.

I've used Mumble. It lags PWI.

I've used Skype. It lags PWI.

I've used my cell phone on a confrence call. It doesn't lag PWI, but my phone bill... Well it would have been cheaper to just buy R9 and solo it myself.

And BTW... I've played Minecraft on one computer and PWI on my other computer at the same time and it doesn't lag PWI as much as Mumble/TS/Vent do.
    When the 11 and 12 star orbs were removed due to
    "Client Instability"...
    Was PWE referring to the Game Client?
    Or the players?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Well... yeah. Duh. Voice comms uses a big chunk of bandwidth and CPU (to do compression to try and save bandwidth)

It's going to cause your game to lag, no matter what.

Anyway - basic problem with voicecomms is that everyone needs to have the same one. Which gives the incumbents (TS, Vent, Skype) a big advantage over a newcomer.

I do wish more games would just build it in, though.
  • Sakkin - Heavens Tear
    Sakkin - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    well, if there any faction out there that want a free channel on TS3 go to spoofed.info:9987 i will get u one
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Well... yeah. Duh. Voice comms uses a big chunk of bandwidth and CPU (to do compression to try and save bandwidth)

It's going to cause your game to lag, no matter what.

Anyway - basic problem with voicecomms is that everyone needs to have the same one. Which gives the incumbents (TS, Vent, Skype) a big advantage over a newcomer.

I do wish more games would just build it in, though.

CPU shouldn't be an issue. PWI client is a single thread game. I've got a 4 core CPU. Whatever I'm using should have three 3ghz CPU cores to choose from.

Lag I get is usually connection and machine lag. I've also got 6 GB of RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue either. Only other thing I can think of is that the game and TS/Vent/whatever would be wanting to use the same CPU cache, but that makes no sense since I have independent cache for core pairs. if Vent is on CPU 0, and PW is on 3, they should use different Cache.

Then there's bandwidth. Using a 1333 Bus, and Vent shouldn't saturate that. If it can saturate an entire CPU core (100%), it would be needing to page a lot of data from RAM to CPU, so it might be hammering the Bus pretty hard.

Guess I'm gonna need to get a new AMD system with a higher capacity HT bus...

6 core CPU, here I come?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    CPU shouldn't be an issue. PWI client is a single thread game. I've got a 4 core CPU. Whatever I'm using should have three 3ghz CPU cores to choose from.

Lag I get is usually connection and machine lag. I've also got 6 GB of RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue either. Only other thing I can think of is that the game and TS/Vent/whatever would be wanting to use the same CPU cache, but that makes no sense since I have independent cache for core pairs. if Vent is on CPU 0, and PW is on 3, they should use different Cache.

Then there's bandwidth. Using a 1333 Bus, and Vent shouldn't saturate that. If it can saturate an entire CPU core (100%), it would be needing to page a lot of data from RAM to CPU, so it might be hammering the Bus pretty hard.

Guess I'm gonna need to get a new AMD system with a higher capacity HT bus...

6 core CPU, here I come?

Nerd.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Nerd.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

QQ I only have 7 computers right now...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level