Can't connect to server

Options
_Aveline_ - Archosaur
_Aveline_ - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Support Desk
Well, I enjoy the login page as much as the next person. The music is nice. But I'm getting a little sick of not being able to connect to the servers.

I've checked all my network/internet issues and tried everything. My brother is a sysadmin and he's done everything he can think of. My partner's computer works fine on the same network so it's not our network or connection. There is a possibility that it's something on my machine, however the internet works fine and other online games run fine, so that's a bit weird.

I ran a traceroute as suggested several times on the forums and it always times out at hop 6, it doesn't even leave the UK (where I am)!

I'll admit that our internet isn't that great, we live in a rural area, but our browser connection is usually fine (a normal speed of around 6mb) and I've tried other games and they work without problems.

Now if this is a problem with a hub somewhere between my computer and the pw servers, I realise pw can't do anything about it, but is there any way to fix it? Surely it should just find another route if one doesn't work? How come it gets stuck on a timeout? Questions questions XD

Anyway if anyone has had similar issues and managed to resolve them, let me know how! I appreciate it's probably nobody's fault but I'd like to get it fixed so I can play!! =D

Thank youuuuu b:kiss b:victory
Post edited by _Aveline_ - Archosaur on

Comments

• linkism
    linkism Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Seems you're having the same issue i am. I'm also in a rural area, our internet is sufficient for w/e. Never had problems with pwi, have a decent ping to game, no problems browsing, but its not the fastest net. I can't log during high-traffic hours it seems, but early and late in the day i dont seem to have issues.

If i do manage to get in the game, i disconnect pretty quickly and regularly.
  • Ukkie - Sanctuary
    Ukkie - Sanctuary Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'd suggest try the neighbours connection with PWI ... (seriously :D)

A traceroute doesn't say alot because of firewalls etc. which might block ICMP traffic (which is used for traceroute) and allow other traffic like DNS, HTTP etc. (Yes, before you say SylenThunder, I know you have different opinion!)

I'd try a verify of your client a couple of times, PWI support will, unfortunately, say the same. Have you tried installing to game on your hubbies computer? Though he might dislike that, it might be possible to trace the problem to your hardware.

Maybe download the big client v580 package and update from there. Those files should be 100% ok, just to make sure it isn't caused by a conflict of a previous patch (which I'm beginning to think...)
    Gentlemen, I believe I am on fire
  • _Aveline_ - Archosaur
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It works fine on his computer, gah! He can play and I can't >.< and unfortunately my house is between two old ladies who don't have any kind of internet.

I've verified once but I'll do it again to see if it helps =) and when you say download the big client do you mean the torrent file?

It might be something to do with us, he's actually having problems getting on LOTRO now, even though it was fine before. PW seems to work ok on his machine though. It's all very confusing. We've also tried a few different antivirus softwares in case it made a difference. I'll try another verify ^^

Thanks both of you for replying, fingers crossed it just fixes itself soon hehe XD
  • Ukkie - Sanctuary
    Ukkie - Sanctuary Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    When computers are gonna fix themselves I'm out of a job ... ;-)

Anyway, the Big client, yeah the torrent file or the big v580 download file. You might try turning off your AntiVirus for a bit to see if that helps. Also, there is a program out there called "GameBooster". It optimizes settings for when you play games and puts everything after you are done playing. E.g. it turns off background processes which are not required for playing the game so you can optimize performance.
    Gentlemen, I believe I am on fire
  • _Aveline_ - Archosaur
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ok just to tell you we fixed it =D the game works great on both comps on a wired connection. It was our router being rubbish lol! Thanks for all your help and I'm very happy to be back in the game =D yay pwi!! b:laugh