Many many **** accounts at this time.

Options
Karmiel - Dreamweaver
Karmiel - Dreamweaver Posts: 103 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Tideswell (East)
We are seeing more and more accounts which were tricked into going to a website that looked just like PWI's Free zen page.

The site was set up to look like a promotion for the new patch we just received.

I am seeing more and more friends accounts which were compromised do to this deception on the server.

The spamming of free zen for writing something nice about PWI is also a new one they are doing then giving a link that looks like a PWI link.

We could use so more active GM's monitoring this activity.

b:surrender
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Karmiel - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    We are seeing more and more accounts which were tricked into going to a website that looked just like PWI's Free zen page.

The site was set up to look like a promotion for the new patch we just received.

I am seeing more and more friends accounts which were compromised do to this deception on the server.

The spamming of free zen for writing something nice about PWI is also a new one they are doing then giving a link that looks like a PWI link.

We could use so more active GM's monitoring this activity.

My wife was one of the original people that were **** on the 18th.... they still haven't even changed her email address and it's been 2 business weeks. They are about to completely lose our business. Their support has completely dropped the ball on this hacking scheme, and it shows the quality of service they feel we deserve as customers. I'm highly disappointed like I normally seem to be with this company.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Stonk - Dreamweaver
    Stonk - Dreamweaver Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My wife was one of the original people that were **** on the 18th.... they still haven't even changed her email address and it's been 2 business weeks. They are about to completely lose our business. There support has completely dropped the ball on this hacking scheme, and it shows the quality of service they feel we deserve as customers. I'm highly disappointed like I normally seem to be with this company.

Here's 50 free gold just put your info to a non-pwe owned page ! derp derp okay sounds great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    one thing is sure
    flyranger will buy the **** gear
    good profit there!

when you follow links its important to look at it precisely
    a websites exact look can be copied in a matter of seconds

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16306561

for example there should not be another dot after ".com"
    that indicates a completely different server

anything else but the *ending* you are used to is highly suspicious

like if a domain you know "suddenly" ends with ".us" instead of ".com" -> dont click
    i like potato
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Here's 50 free gold just put your info to a non-pwe owned page ! derp derp okay sounds great.

It was a worm that hijacked her info. She didn't use her actual info...... I'm not sure how many times I have to say this.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Karmiel - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hey Stonk..

Yeh was not like that.

What they did was get a hold of a few accounts.
    Joined a few factions.

Then after a week or so would send a link from the friends lists to people they had made friends with saying there was a special zen offering for people that wrote something nice about PWI for promotional use.

The web links were similar to -removed- or something like this.

It actually was an identical webpage.

PWI should link log-in to the games PID number this would stop allot of this. And on changing the password details making a response email required from the registered account simple enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Karmiel - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have another friend who said something installed when he went to the page.

The next thing he knew he was booted from PWI.

When he logged in about 10 minutes later he got a disconnect message and then logged in again. 60 seconds later it then booted him again. When he tried to log in this time the details were incorrect.

This sounds like they have a program like a key logger that closed the port once the player logs on then boots them. Once they log in it steals their log in details and maybe grabs listed email address's on the computer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hey Stonk..

Yeh was not like that.

What they did was get a hold of a few accounts.
    Joined a few factions.

Then after a week or so would send a link from the friends lists to people they had made friends with saying there was a special zen offering for people that wrote something nice about PWI for promotional use.

The web links were similar to -removed- or something like this.

It actually was an identical webpage.

PWI should link log-in to the games PID number this would stop allot of this. And on changing the password details making a response email required from the registered account simple enough.

That's the problem with the admin running around saying if you get **** change your password right away. That's the stupidest thing you can do and shows you how naive the admins are to this **** and phising scheme. This is a worm based hijack that will log your email password and username if you go straight to changing your password right after. If you get **** from this site DO NOT LOG INTO ANYTHING ELSE ON THE SAME COMPUTER INCLUDING YOUR EMAIL TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. You HAVE to go onto a different computer (that's secure) or even have a faction mate change your password. If you go straight to your change password and then log into your email you will give the hacker your email login as well, and he will then be able to completely change your email and password locking you out of your account perm.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Karmiel - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    This is how they are doing.

This makes perfect since now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My wife was one of the original people that were **** on the 18th.... they still haven't even changed her email address and it's been 2 business weeks. They are about to completely lose our business. Their support has completely dropped the ball on this hacking scheme, and it shows the quality of service they feel we deserve as customers. I'm highly disappointed like I normally seem to be with this company.

Traz, our GMs have informed me that your tickets are being handled, but it's just taking some time. They will get back to you as soon as they can.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Traz, our GMs have informed me that your tickets are being handled, but it's just taking some time. They will get back to you as soon as they can.

I responded in 2 minutes to the last response asking for a different email, which I then gave them. Since then, I've been waiting 2 days to get 30 seconds of a GMs time. I'm not asking for the whole situation to be sorted, I'm asking for 30 seconds of any GMs time to change her email so that we can at least secure her account. This small task shouldn't take 2 weeks.

Frankie, if that takes two weeks just to change an email how long is it going to take to sorting out her items? Her info is verified and they already tried to change her email once, it shouldn't take 2 extra days to get back to the ticket. This kind of delay is unacceptable and I don't think anyone would disagree.

They have a lot of tickets and items to track and what not, but changing an email has nothing to do with any of that. It's now been 2 weeks how much longer is it going to take to get have decent support?

PS The same hacker has already gotten to at least 7 more people that I've seen, send one of your web team managers to check out the site on a secure PC and then contact the hosting server to have them shut it down and possibly give you their IP address so you can ban it from the game or at least track it. You guys have let him run a muck for over 2 weeks now and you NEED to get on top of this or you'll just get more and more work bogging your support staff down.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• krm21
    krm21 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There is a guy name The_Evil_ wizard 68 giving the link EDITED and saying that you get free wings (the 1s you only get on packs) once you enter the link it says to type ur user name and pass and to stay log for 2 hours.
    I send a ticket yesterday with my other account and still no reply.....

You have a name now so please do something, some of us put lots of money and time on this game so we could at list get a lill help back.

Thx.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Options
    do Not Click On That Link Above Me
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Flamespirit - Dreamweaver
    Flamespirit - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I have already had a couple people from friendslist pm me the stupid link an offer upon log in. I assume they are nolonger who they say they are.

It is not very funny , but in truth I've spent enough money on my pwi account that people get killed for much less. At any rate it should rate as a felony if they were in the usa.

I think at this time it is double important to bind any gear of value.
  • Xilplxim - Dreamweaver
    Xilplxim - Dreamweaver Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    were the links you clicked here at the earn zen area of the web site? just curious cause i earn free zen here all the time from peanut labs.
  • kyas12
    kyas12 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    were the links you clicked here at the earn zen area of the web site? just curious cause i earn free zen here all the time from peanut labs.
    Not sure, like i said the 1 they give me was for wings but some others got offer zen for a similar, my own fault for not paying attention.... BUT if it doesnt ends with .com dont even open the link.

Silent is full of sound
  • SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear
    SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Here's the thing, folks:

Just never (or never EVER, if that helps) trust anything that is not a direct link from the PWE homesite. Obviously the forums should be excluded because anyone can post what they wish there.

Also, never trust ANYONE that you don't know in the real world (Attn: meeting someone online and talking to them on Vent/Skype/etc is NOT knowing them in the real world. Once upon a time, a "Friend" actually had substance and meaning, not just a score on your facebook page or a random person you met on a game for two minutes in a squad and they are now 'your best friend in the whole world for, like, evar'). I'm not saying be rude to everyone, or refuse to associate with people.... but if you are going to survive on the internet you must know that it is best to assume everyone there is potentially a phisher/scammer/cyberpredator, and take precautions.

Hell, look at PWE, a 'legit' company, still one of the biggest scammers. They have tons of people who willingly bend over for the shaft, over and over, and ask for more when it's done. It's no small wonder that other people would want to target that demographic as well. If PWE hadn't screwed up their games so badly and offended many of the original players, maybe they also wouldn't have people out there with any kind of vendetta towards them. All kinds of kids out there want to show how 'leet' they are by hacking things and causing trouble, and if they also happen to have a personal target to channel that effort to... even better for them, I suppose.

The moral of the story is that, ultimately, it is our own actions, thoughts, and ideas (or lack thereof) which determine our path through life. Use discretion and foresight in everything you do. Stop and think. Don't ask the nearest troll what you 'should do' or what 'is best'.
  • ScottStevens - Dreamweaver
    ScottStevens - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    We have tons of people who willingly bend over for the shaft, over and over, and ask for more when it's done.

Hey! You lifted that quote straight from PWE's 2011 Financial Report ... you should properly reference that.
  • Weta - Dreamweaver
    Weta - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ok heres what happened to me today i logged onto pwi and as soon as i did a friend of

mine pmed me from one of his alts and said that his acct was ****. while talking to him i get a message from his main toon

asking me have you voted on server status yet? and gave me the website to go to get a free prize

well ofc i did not go to it but im sure there will be many that do..also like the above post i been have told by my friends that other ppl have been **** also

i am writing this to state my displeasure with whole ordeal...people here work hard for what they have

and to see it all stripped away by allowing it to continue is a shame and a slap in the face to all the people who work hard for their gear

a lot of people are reluctant to even submit a complaint due to the inefficient response they get from GM's and the slow reaction time it takes to resolve these issues...

there has got to be a better resolution then what pwi has in place at the moment

yes i know we have to take adequate steps to insure the security of our accts and i do

but enough is enough with this whole hacking fiasco. and allowing it to go unfettered

makes me want to leave the game entirely...
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Free zen? Free gift? Free this? Free that?

Doesn't it sound a bit like a fish bait?
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Free zen? Free gift? Free this? Free that?

Doesn't it sound a bit like a fish bait?

Twaz what Mita was thinking... Nothing ever comes free in life
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hey guys I'm giving out free Scroll of Tome!!! I got 5 left so just pm me your account info and I will totally give you one.

/sarcasm Lvl:Noob
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • spensen
    spensen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options

ugh how many people were already **** this time? 15? 20?

people are going nuts all over dreamweaver about this hacking spreading like a mad virus. even on other forums i see some thread raging about this incident.
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hey guys I'm giving out free Scroll of Tome!!! I got 5 left so just pm me your account info and I will totally give you one.

/sarcasm Lvl:Noob

ok i pm u my info nw pls send me sot plspls can u make me offer and give me 2 sot if I give u mi alt too plspls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The biggest problem is what are you gonna do if a friend of yours pms you a tiny url link? you can't check if it's a fake site. (which is why i recommend not going to it) but you wouldn't think a friend of yours ingame would pull a trick like that and no I am not talking about free items than posting a tiny url i mean a hey check out this glitch that happened to me let me get you a tiny url *posts a tiny url to a **** site* boom you go to that link and you got a virus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The biggest problem is what are you gonna do if a friend of yours pms you a tiny url link? you can't check if it's a fake site. (which is why i recommend not going to it) but you wouldn't think a friend of yours ingame would pull a trick like that and no I am not talking about free items than posting a tiny url i mean a hey check out this glitch that happened to me let me get you a tiny url *posts a tiny url to a **** site* boom you go to that link and you got a virus.

gweendelyne was sending friendlist-pms
    took me a split-second looking at the url to figure out that she was ****
    following that link would be beyond ****, unless you use some sort of security measures first
    i was immediately spamming in faction chat that she was most likely ****
    but ppl already knew whats going on and her items were being sold in worldchat by another **** faction mate
    asking if anyone could contact her /phone or something didnt quite bring results tho :/
    her hubby logged in on her char not much later and changed the password i think
    but damage was done. i got pms of other people in fac who were not quite sure if it was really him, so i kept talking to him in pms and could finally verify he is real (you know how your friends act and talk...) .. but her items are gone
    ...ya you gotta make sure its really them when they *return*
    >.>
    i like potato
  • OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    If you want to be extra careful with promotions, just log on to the forums first. If you're not still logged in when you go to the link, then it's obviously a fake site. Unless frankie decides to go postal and **** multiple people's accounts of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Options
    gweendelyne was sending friendlist-pms
    took me a split-second looking at the url to figure out that she was ****
    following that link would be beyond ****, unless you use some sort of security measures first
    i was immediately spamming in faction chat that she was most likely ****
    but ppl already knew whats going on and her items were being sold in worldchat by another **** faction mate
    asking if anyone could contact her /phone or something didnt quite bring results tho :/
    her hubby logged in on her char not much later and changed the password i think
    but damage was done. i got pms of other people in fac who were not quite sure if it was really him, so i kept talking to him in pms and could finally verify he is real (you know how your friends act and talk...) .. but her items are gone
    ...ya you gotta make sure its really them when they *return*
    >.>

That's just it, aadore had a 10 minute convo with the hacker on angelicammo's account BEFORE he gave the link, so by the time the link was given she really didn't think much of it because she figured it was angelic.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary

• Menarin - Dreamweaver
    Menarin - Dreamweaver Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    That's just it, aadore had a 10 minute convo with the hacker on angelicammo's account BEFORE he gave the link, so by the time the link was given she really didn't think much of it because she figured it was angelic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can see saved chat information somehow. I assume from that the hacker can quite easily assume the guise of the stolen account. Just copy pasta stuff you've talked about before and bam a bunch of trusting fools with no reason to doubt.

Hackers are not stupid. The internet is serious business. hide yo kids hide yo wife they hackin everybody out there.

...but seriously, dont underestimate their boredom. they gonna find you they gonna find you so you can run and tell that home boy, home boy, home home home boy.

(condolences to those who lost items btw)
    Our time is coming, we cannot be stopped, soon the time of the wizard will be upon us and all shall know and fear us. we are a magical army of wizardry and death, cold and emotionless, we carry out our tasks without a conscience.
    ~Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide

^Wow he has no life.
    ~Menarin - Dreamweaver
  • StarsDoBreak - Heavens Tear
    StarsDoBreak - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised PWI itself designed the phishing site, paid for the domain and allowed these "links" to be a popular conversation topic.

Their lack of action seems suspicious as well.
    I mean, an international multi-millionaire with several successful MMORPGs and years of developing experience can allow this security leaks out AND have their customer support not do a single thing about it? Seriously?
    "24 hours at most until we reply to your ticket" and I've heard people that have been waiting since thursday.

Oh, and let's not even get to the part where the "multi-millionaire " budget is not enough to employ part-time GMs on weekends to attend this kind of security priority issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Now, let the day just slip away, so the dark night may watch over you.
    Velvet blue, silent true.
    It embraces your heart and your soul..
    Have no fear when the night draws near and fills you with dreams and desire.
    Though darkness lay, it will give way when the dark night delivers the day.
    They call us Nocturne.