Where art thou, player?

XYotsuba - Dreamweaver
XYotsuba - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
I come back from a very long break, like 2 years or so, and I'm very shocked, it's like the whole server is empty, I barely see a couple people in each starting towns I'm having the hardest time trying to complete my 20/20/20 whereas a couple years ago, it was so packed I could find so many people at the entrance of each bh. Now the only thing I see it msg about 9X+ party.

Is pw dead and just on for the die-hard high level having hard time to realise it's dead. It's like it is too late to start now?
The population difference is so shocking b:shocked
Post edited by XYotsuba - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I come back from a very long break, like 2 years or so, and I'm very shocked, it's like the whole server is empty, I barely see a couple people in each starting towns I'm having the hardest time trying to complete my 20/20/20 whereas a couple years ago, it was so packed I could find so many people at the entrance of each fb. Now the only thing I see it msg about 9X+ party.

Is pw dead and just on for the die-hard high level having hard time to realise it's dead. It's like it is too late to start now?
    The population difference is so shocking b:shocked

The population is significantly lower than back then, but due to BountyHunt/FrostCity being the new best means of gaining XP, most players spend their time in instances instead of the world map (oh, and the latter can be used for Powerleveling, making quests even more irrelevant than ever).

The recent expansion also features a map/world of its own where the 95+ players hang around as well, so the main world seems a lot more emptier than usual. It certainly isnt too late to start out now, but you would want to find a faction with other low-mid levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    People are:

1) Sitting around Snowy Village trying to get in an FC (Frostcovered City, now revamped into an experience dungeon)

2) In FC

3) In another instance doing BH (Bounty Hunter)

4) In Nirvana

5) idling in Archosaur

Not too many new people (there are a few) and too many of them are "buying heads" in FC (or other forms of powerleveling) to rush to high levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • sleepyeagles1
    sleepyeagles1 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    PWI is definitely starting to feel unwelcoming to newcomers. Unless you already have a high level toon to solo stuff for you, it's sometimes difficult to get things done. Finding a party your level for bh29 or bh39 is rare, and usually someone decides to bring in a high level to solo the whole instance.

Meanwhile, characters over 90 have a bit easier time, especially finding FC squads since that's the main attraction.

I find that prices are also scary to new players. Many people play until they realize they have to treat the game like a job (or make use of the cash shop) and then go off to find a different game. To be honest if I weren't able to drop $20 every once in a while, I would have quit too by now. Merchanting isn't an option for everyone (I play on a laptop so I can't keep it plugged in all the time....kills the battery life). DQ grinding is a joke unless there's a 2x going on, and even then it's painfully slow to make any decent coin. There's still TT farming and the AH, but neither seems to be a consistent way of bringing in funds.

Once you are able to hit 100 and do Nirvana, you have to already have elite gear to even be accepted in a squad. It can be intimidating to new players, and the snobby nature of the majority of the player base doesn't help.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I think it's mostly your server.

Sanctuary is chock full of lag inducing people with flashy stuff on :<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    most certainly is unwelcoming to anyone UNDER 100 these days. when help is needed it is impossible to find. oh and you need a culti? forget about it no one is going to do it with you, even if they have to pass it on something they're doing. wouldn't want to give a "noob" a slot in an elite squad..

I was throughly shocked at the one time I've been in warsong. I went in at 91 with a bunch of 100s that needed a sin for BP. Well, being the idiot than I am sometimes I got myself killed a few times and made myself look like a complete idiot, but the squad I was with laughed it off because well.. it was my FIRST time in there, but that's the only 100+ squad I've ever been in "just for fun." However if you are in need of culti on DW for 69/79 I can help, and would be glad to.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    PWI is definitely starting to feel unwelcoming to newcomers. Unless you already have a high level toon to solo stuff for you, it's sometimes difficult to get things done. Finding a party your level for bh29 or bh39 is rare, and usually someone decides to bring in a high level to solo the whole instance...

Bh51 too is uncommon now.

I understand, that may be will do some bosses myself at levels 65+ (now level 63).

Crazy stone quest is unique way to level up without being killed, pay millions, etc.

Edit:
    Also those, who will go at way "pay to win" will be at level 100+ during week may be.
  • XYotsuba - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Well I guess I will give it up now... This is not my conception of mmo. The destination is less important than the journey, and what brought me back here was the great souvenir I had of fluidity finding party, the vast amount of quests, instances, and bosses you have to go through your journey to 100+.
    Too bad this game was awesome back in the days

I would like to thanks all those who offered me help for my culti, but what's the point if it only starts to get fun from 90+ (not even couting farming time to get some decent gears)
  • Yoyoki - Lost City
    Yoyoki - Lost City Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I strongly disagree with this being a unfriendly game for newcomers,the faction I am in in Lost city has alot of new people who are just happy playing the game talking in chat with everyone.Higher levels help lower ones when they can within reason.This game feels dead if your playing on your own or are in a faction with 7people online who are afk.Find a good active faction and make new friends
    Old areas arent populated because everyone playing are up to the new areas now it's not that less people are playing its more people are at a point in the game where you dont need to be in low level areas.
    If you don't want to spend the time to farm and learn the game why are you playing?farming in mmos is what you do lol
  • Yoyoki - Lost City
    edited March 2012
    Well I guess I will give it up now... This is not my conception of mmo. The destination is less important than the journey, and what brought me back here was the great souvenir I had of fluidity finding party, the vast amount of quests, instances, and bosses you have to go through your journey to 100+.
    Too bad this game was awesome back in the days

I would like to thanks all those who offered me help for my culti, but what's the point if it only starts to get fun from 90+ (not even couting farming time to get some decent gears)

Most people who are 100 have made the journey already you've just came back to the game when everyone has done it already :/
  • XYotsuba - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Old areas arent populated because everyone playing are up to the new areas now it's not that less people are playing its more people are at a point in the game where you dont need to be in low level areas.
    From what I understand there isn't that much new area for low lvl, people mainly ask for leeching in fc (not everybody ofc), beeing an archer or a veno your 1-79 is nearly the same like a couple years ago. Where pwi was very appealing in its design was the culti quests, challenge bosses in main map. It is some kind of milestones where people need to gather and help each other. Long ago it was so much fun, because it took no more than 5mn to gather people around the area and some guildies, it really tighten the community together, I am not saying it is not at the moment, I am saying it is in a very different way it used to be. I dare you to start a new char without the help of any of your previous friend and try to put up a BH party, you'll see...

If you don't want to spend the time to farm and learn the game why are you playing?farming in mmos is what you do lol
    This is totally irrelevant, I know my way in farming (time-sink in proper langage) and there is a huge difference in farming mats and coins and having to struggle to get a party at each BH, each culti, each Challenge boss

Most people who are 100 have made the journey already you've just came back to the game when everyone has done it already :/
    See you agree with me, the main population is already very high level.

What is a mmo when the base of the population pyramid is not here? It is called a dead mmo, because it has absolutely no strength in renewing its population when high level toons get bored and change game

Stating all this, I have absolutely nothing against people playing now, nor people starting this game; I am just stating the shocking difference in between what it is now and what it was a couple years ago, but that's ok, that is the business model of every mmo
    regards,
  • schokoketzi
    schokoketzi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    just another gameisdead thread
    its gettin really olde
  • Tye - Harshlands
    Tye - Harshlands Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I barely see a couple people in each starting towns I'm having the hardest time trying to complete my 20/20/20

Wish you were playing on my server because I'm having a hard time finding help for 20/20/20 as well. Most of what you said were my thoughts exactly when I came back.
  • XYotsuba - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2012
    Wish you were playing on my server because I'm having a hard time finding help for 20/20/20 as well. Most of what you said were my thoughts exactly when I came back.

welcome to the club!
    just another gameisdead thread
    its gettin really olde
    You see, it seems like I'm far from beeing the only one, maybe you did not know the time where I could see at least 5 to 10 green spot on my mini map wherever I went; and the great game design of this game (requiring constant party helping people to get helped afterward) is broken when the server is empty.
    Just another exemple, I went out of curiosity into one of the european server, not to mention at supposed european peak time, and I could see a world msg every like 1 or 2 mn
  • Semis_Inferi - Archosaur
    Semis_Inferi - Archosaur Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    psssh...you think the game is dead ye ought to come to archosaur..lots of crazy here,in both the high,mid,and low lvl categorys

its quite easy to find a squad,atleast thats my experience...especially since i completed me wish of gettin` blizzard wings,now i have even more freinds o.o
  • Yoyoki - Lost City
    edited March 2012
    Another game is dead thread exactly my thoughts. Sick of seeing them,plenty of people doing different things,if anything these type of threads are stopping new players from joining the game.
    FYI I have leveled without the help of my old friends since when I started playing again they have all moved servers or don't play much,I just made new ones. Forum posters complain to much and over exadurate everything to much.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Come to Sanc.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    You should leave now before all those people with bad mouth flooding this thread. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Yoyoki - Lost City
    edited March 2012
    You should leave now before all those people with bad mouth flooding this thread. b:surrender

Hahaha they will all be here soon!!