Tankers and healers

elvenshooter
elvenshooter Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Dungeons & Tactics
Its been years since I last been here.
I have some free time lately and I decided to play an MMO, and chose PW.

Anyway, my little brother and I decided to start over from scratch.
He's playing a cleric but is asking me,"Are there any other healers types?"
He prefers to play other kind of clerics from MMOs that are heavy armor build, mace/whatnot, that heals and buffs.

The cleric in PW are more of a mage, but I'm sure theres another healer somewhere here that can replace a cleric?

And now as for me, I played as an archer until 8x a few years back and very much enjoyed it.
But lately I have grown to be a range-type gamer to more of a tanker/rogue.

I want to be able to duo with my brother with him as my healer and I being the tanker.
Which tanker, aside from barbarians, do you all recommend?
I remember in the past, I had multiple blademasters as our tanks for instances, and they just couldn't hold aggro at all.

I'm not familiar with the new classes but I'm interested if they fit what my brother and I are looking for.

Thanks for your time b:thanks
Post edited by elvenshooter on

Comments

• Arthursoul - Archosaur
    Arthursoul - Archosaur Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Its been years since I last been here.
    I have some free time lately and I decided to play an MMO, and chose PW.

Anyway, my little brother and I decided to start over from scratch.
    He's playing a cleric but is asking me,"Are there any other healers types?"
    He prefers to play other kind of clerics from MMOs that are heavy armor build, mace/whatnot, that heals and buffs.

The cleric in PW are more of a mage, but I'm sure theres another healer somewhere here that can replace a cleric?

And now as for me, I played as an archer until 8x a few years back and very much enjoyed it.
    But lately I have grown to be a range-type gamer to more of a tanker/rogue.

I want to be able to duo with my brother with him as my healer and I being the tanker.
    Which tanker, aside from barbarians, do you all recommend?
    I remember in the past, I had multiple blademasters as our tanks for instances, and they just couldn't hold aggro at all.

I'm not familiar with the new classes but I'm interested if they fit what my brother and I are looking for.

Well beside Cleric there is always Mystic who stand in the second. But to be honest they are Mage type, so Heavy Armor not suit them. Plus they are Summoning Class beside Veno.

If your brother prefer a Healer rather than Cleric then try Mystic. They can summon minions and plants to attack and support.

If you my friend want to be a Tanker instead of choosing a Barb then Seeker can be your choice after Barb and BM. They use Heavy armor and swords, most of their skills are Attack and Self Buff. With the right combination and Gear you can tank like a barb, I normally see them shine once they have their Vortex skill

In Descent expansion they have new skill which summon pet to help you. And now Earthguard can see Stealth, because Sin can now put a debuff on you and kill you to get your money (Thief class now)

For more info why not visit the wiki they help to renew your choice
  • elvenshooter
    edited February 2012
    Well beside Cleric there is always Mystic who stand in the second. But to be honest they are Mage type, so Heavy Armor not suit them. Plus they are Summoning Class beside Veno.

If your brother prefer a Healer rather than Cleric then try Mystic. They can summon minions and plants to attack and support.

If you my friend want to be a Tanker instead of choosing a Barb then Seeker can be your choice after Barb and BM. They use Heavy armor and swords, most of their skills are Attack and Self Buff. With the right combination and Gear you can tank like a barb, I normally see them shine once they have their Vortex skill

In Descent expansion they have new skill which summon pet to help you. And now Earthguard can see Stealth, because Sin can now put a debuff on you and kill you to get your money (Thief class now)

For more info why not visit the wiki they help to renew your choice
    I've told him about the mystic and he will be trying it out later.
    Hopefully one of the 2 healers will suit him and he'll continue playing with me.

About the tank class, I've taken your advice to go to the wiki and research a bit on the new classes. Also read around that the seeker can have a bit of trouble sustaining aggro, and I heard its biggest fault is to regain aggro once lost.

I didn't really consider the Barb for one reason that since I'm mainly a DPS gamer, Barbs come in last and I'm not for slow, heavy gameplay buuut after just a while ago, I started to consider them once again.

Once 6 days are up and I can delete 1 character slot in my home server,
    we might roll a Barb/Cleric duo.

Been seeing a LOT of posts about assassins being overrated and everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard finding a DPS to join us at time.

Thanks for all your help and advice Arthursoul b:thanks
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I've told him about the mystic and he will be trying it out later.
    Hopefully one of the 2 healers will suit him and he'll continue playing with me.

About the tank class, I've taken your advice to go to the wiki and research a bit on the new classes. Also read around that the seeker can have a bit of trouble sustaining aggro, and I heard its biggest fault is to regain aggro once lost.

I didn't really consider the Barb for one reason that since I'm mainly a DPS gamer, Barbs come in last and I'm not for slow, heavy gameplay buuut after just a while ago, I started to consider them once again.

Once 6 days are up and I can delete 1 character slot in my home server,
    we might roll a Barb/Cleric duo.

Been seeing a LOT of posts about assassins being overrated and everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard finding a DPS to join us at time.

Thanks for all your help and advice Arthursoul b:thanks

The aggro thing is only really an issue when you get to high levels, like 80+, when the damage dealers (Bms, Archers, Assassins) start getting ridiculously high damage.

As for tanking, there's at least three options:
    Seekers got the AoE DD part and tanking due to heavy armor
    Barbs got pulling and tanking due to heavy armor and their skills
    Bms got a mix of it all: they can pull due to heavy armor, they got great AoE skills and are the second best single target DPS class in the game

The problem with Cleric/Barb is that as a duo, they lack DPS, meaning everything takes time. If you add in a DD, at higher levels, that will make the barb nearly useless because he won't be able to keep aggro from the DD and teh DD will most likely be able to tank perfectly well, especially with a cleric.

I'd suggest a BM as a tank.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Tell your brother to play **** there a medic class with healing, heavy armor, buff (using consumable to cast), and steal hp while using specific spell. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Arthursoul - Archosaur
    Arthursoul - Archosaur Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'd suggest a BM as a tank.

Forgot about DD, but I like being a barb instead of BM, mostly I afraid about BM is money for repairing their Weapons. Plus they use too many weapons and their skills really annoying but useful.

BM maybe have Good Damage and High HP, but still a big target in TW and won't last longer than a Barb.

The reason I choose Seeker for the topic is that they can see throught stealth (Sin and Archer), I also said with the right Combination and Gear you can tank like a Barb. Mean you must have the right combination of your Enchant Skills to make each battle easier, soon you can master that class and find a shortcut for it.

Seekers don't spend much like Barb or BM for gears repairing, since elven brother is a healer, and you know what the combination of those 2 classes made.

So the Tank classes is decided by you.

If you like a Full Long Tank then Barb is the best tank, slow and low on damage but helpful

If you like to be balance in Hp and DD then BM, they deliver great damage and they are the second with the highest Hp after Barb. But they have too many skills path to choose from

If you like to have both Hp and DD along with Speed then Seeker can help a lot, we normally see them weak at early lvl but believe me they are tricky and deadly at End game.

Just remember that all of Tankers will lost Aggro fast to Sin or Archer (I love to watch those 2 die because I can't seem to do my job as a tanker)
  • Aquyla - Heavens Tear
    Aquyla - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I would better go bm than seeker in pve. yes seekers have debuffs, vortex aoe, def lvl buff but put a seeker in front of boss and you'll only see a ton of mana pots/herbs going down the drain. If those 2 want to duo i think bm is better then. great when pulling, aoe dding, single target/boss/elite mob dding b:pleased
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Forgot about DD, but I like being a barb instead of BM, mostly I afraid about BM is money for repairing their Weapons. Plus they use too many weapons and their skills really annoying but useful.

The repair costs aren't high at all. I'm a 3.33 Sage sin, most of what I do consists of auto-attacking and I've never gone over 100k in a single repair.
    The reason I choose Seeker for the topic is that they can see throught stealth (Sin and Archer), I also said with the right Combination and Gear you can tank like a Barb. Mean you must have the right combination of your Enchant Skills to make each battle easier, soon you can master that class and find a shortcut for it.

The new Seeker skill has a few issues:
    1. it takes about 6 weeks of daily in-game questing to get the book
    2. The skill has a duration of 8 seconds with a cooldown of 2 minutes
    3. You cannot even begin to farm for said book before you're lvl 95.
    If you like to be balance in Hp and DD then BM, they deliver great damage and they are the second with the highest Hp after Barb. But they have too many skills path to choose from

No they don't. The sword and pole paths are pretty much useless: 99% of BMs use only Axes and Fists.
    Just remember that all of Tankers will lost Aggro fast to Sin or Archer (I love to watch those 2 die because I can't seem to do my job as a tanker)

A sin will always get aggro at 89+. An archer will only get aggro due to Barrage or if there is no sin in the squad.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    for a tank that can put out decent DPS (which a barb, sadly, does not) i would say BM, followed by seeker.

both the healing classes in PW are arcane, and cleric>mystic in terms of healing power, as well as skills to reduce damage taken and heal over time.

so I suggest BM+Cleric as the most powerful duo option involving a healer.
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    A sin will always get aggro at 89+

if he wants it. Sadly, the art of aggro management has died out since the release of Rising Tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    if he wants it. Sadly, the art of aggro management has died out since the release of Rising Tide.

I still remember how I used to start with Sharpened Tooth Arrow on my Archer and then only start attacking once the effect was gone. Even then, I did get some odd looks for that. Nowadays I'd probably be kicked out of squad for "afking" or something.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    if you ever reach high lvls you will be glad to have a BM instead of a Seeker or Barb

BM is the second highest damage over time class in this game
    and actually useful in every single instance

only assasins are about double of that damage, but lets dont talk about that outbalanced overpowered class...
    i like potato
  • elvenshooter
    edited February 2012
    Been leaning towards Barb/Cleric, but now I'm really leaning towards BM/Cleric combo.

You all have made a good point.
    Aggro is insanely important from what I know, and if BMs and Sins are outdealing the tank, then how is it to be? The BM/Sin will either tank after stealing aggro or a wipe out comes. And thinking now that if I can't tank with a Barb since aggro being stolen will be inevitable, then its common sense to choose BM right?

My goal was endgame and level cap during 2009, but leveling was unbearably slow and went with only dailies and barely hit level 90 before I decided to quit.
    Now, I want to make the right choice with choosing a tank for endgame where I'll be most helpful with my brother as cleric, taking things seriously with playing our class and doing our job but having fun too.
    Not PvP based, unless its TW!

Anyway back on topic, it is most advisable to start out as a BM endgame?

Average gear for extra info, I do tend to cash 10-30 every month and also don't have the patience to run a dungeon more than 10-ish times before moving onto something else, so epic tank gear will be out of my reach! Rather not rely on gear but not sure if its important to have best gear nowadays.

About Cleric vs. Mystic for little bro, he decided to be a Cleric. Thanks for helping b:thanks
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    otay but keep in mind that bms will never be able to keep aggro off assasins at any given lvl
    unless the gear difference is very high

and casters+archers are still superior dds in mid-lvls.... but bms have those sweet stun and hf to make evyerone happy lol

aooooeee alllll the mobs. brb logging on bm
    i like potato
  • Khish - Dreamweaver
    Khish - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    as a old aged tanker myself. i find the easiest way to keep aggro is to just lay down some rules on bosses.
    e.g.
    say you ask for the dd's to watch thier aggro & say they keep crittin like a cannon on heat.warn yer cleric, mystic & let em die keep your alpha male ready when it happens because next to die will be the healer.
    less speed mosre haste
    Antcy - inactive - HT
    Khish - Active - Dream
    ???? - Semi Active - Dream
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    as a old aged tanker myself. i find the easiest way to keep aggro is to just lay down some rules on bosses.
    e.g.
    say you ask for the dd's to watch thier aggro & say they keep crittin like a cannon on heat.warn yer cleric, mystic & let em die keep your alpha male ready when it happens because next to die will be the healer.
    less speed mosre haste

"let them die"
    this always comes from barbs or really bad low lvl clerics

its the reason why i stopped doing bh on my little mystic

bh79:
    i am the only healer. needless to say that i skipped 30 lvls and didnt play that char for a few months...
    so in this squad was a barb and a sin
    the barb didnt bother get a weapon of his lvl, neither did he refine or shard it
    but he was all about tanking

the assasin had upbto date gear and didnt even try hard but get aggro all the time..
    since i dont have bb and healing plant isnt enough i had to heal both under stress
    both really close to die...

as im a spoiled hi lvl i told the barb to stop trying to tank, he will loose it again the next second but die without heal

all i got was a "are u nuts? im a barb!"

i think, when the best dd is able to tank with heals the barb should just shut it and devour
    and find other aspects to shine

like pulling every mob in the instance including the boss and hold that till the others kill it
    thats what barbs do. not tanking single bosses
    they take massive damage
    single bosses dont do that! take two at least : D

derailed topic is derailed

edit. smartphone+sausage fingers = typos
    i like potato