Descent issues

Options
DemShadow - Raging Tide
DemShadow - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Support Desk
Well just like Genisis and Rising Tide, it took me about 7+ hours to update. The main issue is that it won't run and tells me I need to install something called DirectX 9.0c. I've already installed it and it still says I need to have DirectX to play. Can anyone inform me on what I need to do to play some Descent? I really don't wanna quit one of my favorite MMOs...b:surrender
Post edited by DemShadow - Raging Tide on

Comments

• jillibaby1
    jillibaby1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well join the club on it taking forever to download only when I even tried to do the update I got error messages over and over.
    I decided to try and redownload the entire game which took several hours but at least it fixed the error message i was getting and I was finally able to update.

However after waiting several more hours, I go to try and launch the game and my screen freezes up on me. I was unable to even do a thing on my computer so I just shut it off, restarted and tried again. Again my screen froze up. Shut down and tried again- this time I changed the settings to window mode and lowered all of the graphics to the lowest setting. Okay well that worked-
    Only for a minute- I got as far as the password log in screen and it froze up on me again so I again, shut down the computer and restarted and then, I could not even launch the game without getting software error messages all over the place.

I click start and it takes me to the messages screen then shuts down and a software error message pops up, over and over this happened. So I decided to try and verify the files again hoping that might fix the problem and so here I am waiting hours again for the files to varify, again...so that I can try and get into the game

This was suppose to be just so easy. Just click the update and let it do it's thing and play the game. I have been sitting here for 8 hours trying to get in now and all i get is error messages. I have been playing PWI for over a year without any problems and I dont know why I'm having such problems getting into Decent.
    If revarifying the files does not work i dont know what I'm suppose to do. I have all of the direct x updates and everything and I dont understand why it freezes up on me like that and now why I'm getting software error messages when i was so close to finally getting in.

If I cant get in after doing this I may be forced to unstall the entire game and start over from scratch verses just redownloading it ontop of the old version, maybe something got messed up along the way i dont know but Im getting very angry. I dont even have windows 7 on that computer so I dont see why I should be having so many problems here.

I have never had this much problem with other updates. Either way I have pretty much figured out that I will not be playing the game tonight and this makes me very angry. I have only recently started to play again and realized how much I missed it and now this mess with this update. It just makes no sense.
    It should have been just so easy...just click update and wait and then play. Here it is hours later and I'm still not in the game.
  • Sephleson - Sanctuary
    Sephleson - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    same problem. took me about 7 hours to download. Then it said needs directx and I downloaded that but still can't get in. I was going to try to verify files. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do.
  • maylak
    maylak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ok well what its doing to me is error saying.

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Horse pucky I have dx 11 installed so that should not be an issue with vista its only for the pwi update that its doing to me on all my other programs work just fine. Just like last year taking for ever to dl then cant play because of something they have either done or not done so for this situation I would like to know how to fix it so I can get into the game. I will know more when I reinstall the game for the second time.
  • jillibaby1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well, after all the **** I went thru, I ended up having to unistall the entire game and folders from my computer and now I'm in the process of reinstalling. I came back here to do the manual patching instead of the auto and I disabled my anti-virus just in case that might have been causing me problems too.

Installation is finally complete so I'm gonna try manual patch this time and see what happens.
    I tried to install directX again but it says I already have the latest version and I"m not even running windows 7 anyways, I'm sitll on windows XP so that's a big question mark as to why I'm having such problems.

Playing PWI for a year already and not having any problems when Genesis came out- I'm scratching my head as to why this one did not work so easily. Error message after error message, then I finally get to the log in screen and get froze up- I think I glitched myself when I shut off my computer without shutting it down the proper way cause when I tried to get in after it started again, that's when I started to get all of those software messages popping up long before it would let me anywhere near the game.

I am not going to make any mistakes this time and I"M gonna try and do it all "by the book" and hopefully i wont have any problems again. I do know tho by changing all of the graphic settings to the lowest one, that did help me but- not sure why it froze up my computer after that.

It's just getting frustrating at this point...I have been at it for 12 hours trying to get into the game today and now I have missed all of my friends and I was unable to say HI or even let them know what the heck was going on.
    This is ridicules...really need to make updates that will work on ALL systems. With all the technology out there now I cant believe it's so hard to make updates just...work.
  • Xizin - Sanctuary
    Xizin - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    maylak wrote: »
    ok well what its doing to me is error saying.

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Horse pucky I have dx 11 installed so that should not be an issue with vista its only for the pwi update that its doing to me on all my other programs work just fine. Just like last year taking for ever to dl then cant play because of something they have either done or not done so for this situation I would like to know how to fix it so I can get into the game. I will know more when I reinstall the game for the second time.

DirectX 11 is not backwards compatible with DirectX 9 so you will need to download the full version of DirectX 9 to solve missing dll issues. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html Here is a link to full version of DX9. Do not worry about installing it with DX11 on system as they are mutually exclusive to one another and can both co-exist on same computer.
  • Maldoric - Heavens Tear
    Maldoric - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    your kidding..really...free my ***..
    I've been playing for 3 years...not so much lately..and maybe never again...this sucks!!
    I'm done with it!!
    really...can someone plz post a link to get this directx 9 cwap....the only one posted so far is for a game add....no help at all
  • jillibaby1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    DirectX 11 is not backwards compatible with DirectX 9 so you will need to download the full version of DirectX 9 to solve missing dll issues. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html Here is a link to full version of DX9. Do not worry about installing it with DX11 on system as they are mutually exclusive to one another and can both co-exist on same computer.

However DirectX 11 is pretty much only for Windows 7...I tried to put it on my computer and I got a message that said I already had the latest version and it stopped the install then I re-read it and found it it's specifically for Windows 7, not Windows XP.

The 9.0 version is for windows XP. I have the full version of 9.0 as well as SDK on my computer so as I stated above that has not been MY issue with not being able to get into the game.
    My problem is that my screen kept freezing up on me right after I clicked the start button so I just shut off my computer without shutting it down. I think I glitched it. Not to mention the fact that I did not restart after the auto- patch, I just tried to launch the game and got stuck.
    However even shutting the computer down like I did, that IS kind of a restart and I still had problems. I think that is because I did not do a proper shut down. Pushing the power button til it shuts off is not necessarily a restart the right way.

But this time I am gonna try a different approach- I have done the manual patch, it's downloaded and ready to be installed and when it's done then I will restart and try to launch and I will keep my antivirus disabled as well. Doing everything it says to do here on the forums so all I can hope is that come tomarrow, I wont be spending another, oh, 13 hours now, trying to get into the game again.

One day of that is quite enough.
  • tiffaniee2k11
    tiffaniee2k11 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i had the game already & it updated perfectly fine , but all of a sudden it uninstalled itself & i'm wondering why . i downloaded that directx 9.0 thing still nothing , i manually download it but it wont work without winzip or something like that now i downloaded the regular way & it said error now how the **** do i install the game ? i did everything it said to do & i'm getting pissed off i was waiting til the 15th its been 2 days now that i didn't play . & no one is helping me soo can someone HELP WITH THIS **** PLEASE
  • nexy89
    nexy89 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Guys can anyone help me plz i dont know what to do.I did the patch for Descent and i open the game and there is one bag with openning (One book opens only little (D:)) REALLY STUPID- and i reinstalled the game 3 times AND SAME BAG anyone can help me PLzzzzzzzzb:cry
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    b:sweat PATCH NOTES, people, PATCH NOTES!
    The previous link posted is wrong. Use the GM's link, it's not for DirectX 9, it's for DirectX 9.0c, an add on to DirectX that is not included in later versions like 10 and 11, but is required to play the game.
    2) The game engine has been updated to utilize DirectX 9.0c. If you encounter an error that states "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42 was not found" you will need to update your DirectX End-User Runtime. It is located at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • deadwolf5
    deadwolf5 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ik!!!

its doing the same to me and i dont really want to go through the all-day-download again (at least it always feels like all day), not to mention I got one of those cards for the boutique thing for the first time and i cant even use it :(

i really want to play again, i have serious leveling to do!!! XD
  • deadwolf5
    deadwolf5 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well just like Genisis and Rising Tide, it took me about 7+ hours to update. The main issue is that it won't run and tells me I need to install something called DirectX 9.0c. I've already installed it and it still says I need to have DirectX to play. Can anyone inform me on what I need to do to play some Descent? I really don't wanna quit one of my favorite MMOs...b:surrender
    your kidding..really...free my ***..
    I've been playing for 3 years...not so much lately..and maybe never again...this sucks!!
    I'm done with it!!
    really...can someone plz post a link to get this directx 9 cwap....the only one posted so far is for a game add....no help at all

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

right below the big green button that says "download now" you will see:

"File Size
    96MB

File Name
    directx_jun2010_redist.exe

Author/Supplier
    Microsoft"

then right below that you will see

"[Click here to Download]"

but if that doesnt work heres a direct link to the page that automatically started the download for me:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx-download.html

its for the directx.9 file thing (hopfully :P)
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2012
    Options
    nexy89 wrote: »
    Guys can anyone help me plz i dont know what to do.I did the patch for Descent and i open the game and there is one bag with openning (One book opens only little (D:)) REALLY STUPID- and i reinstalled the game 3 times AND SAME BAG anyone can help me PLzzzzzzzzb:cry

Why don't you read around the forums and try a few of the many fixes that we've posted.

If that still doesn't work.. Then post precisely what you've done so far, in good detail, and include your system information so that we have something to work with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BMJones - Archosaur
    BMJones - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I don't have that kind of problem. Mine is invisible characters! I am able to log in, but... when I get to the avatar screen, the avatar doesn't show. I see the fairy flying around and the background, but no avatar. I go ahead and click to start play, and just like the avatar screen.... nothing. There are fairies flying around, and magical aura everywhere... but no avatars, not even monster avatars. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'm not getting any answers from anyone in the Tech department, so I figure I would go here.
  • lazdijumartis
    lazdijumartis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I got problem too, but it's different. I can see character and npc skins only nicks and names. reinstalled but nothing changed. Any help?
  • XArcticFoxx - Archosaur
    XArcticFoxx - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Its actually perdy easy but does any1 no y all the monsters and charecters are just floating names for me?
  • mallowpuffy
    mallowpuffy Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I don't have that kind of problem. Mine is invisible characters! I am able to log in, but... when I get to the avatar screen, the avatar doesn't show. I see the fairy flying around and the background, but no avatar. I go ahead and click to start play, and just like the avatar screen.... nothing. There are fairies flying around, and magical aura everywhere... but no avatars, not even monster avatars. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'm not getting any answers from anyone in the Tech department, so I figure I would go here.

Thank God, someone else out there is having the same problem, I have a green orb like thing.. and thats all I see ingame??? I cant create a character, although all the elements are there to be able to.. I have installed, deleted, reinstalled, updated, patched, checked, verified and so on... NOTHING same problem, and Tech support seem to be away on there summer vacation :P sorry I cant help you, but at least you know that someone else has the same problemb:angry
  • Chorotega - Heavens Tear
    Chorotega - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i overcame all these problems installing directxd but now my characters looks like are gone, I mean they
  • kingofthyboard#5602
    kingofthyboard#5602 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I downloaded descent twice and each time, when I click start, the element appears. Then after the info given I click confirm, then, when the book is about to open the whole thing freezes and shuts down. Help p.l.s. I wanna play I'm in need b:cry
  • kingofthyboard#5602
    kingofthyboard#5602 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    yeah I only wanted to know if it might be the download that had a prob. so should I download it direct or torrent ?
  • mallowpuffy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    To torrent or not to torrent, I have tried both, twice b:angry makes no difference!!!!! also I downloaded directx or whatever the heck it is.. still nothing!
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I urge you all to go here and see if any of the fixes there help you.
    If you're too lazy to click the link, then here.
    1. Long download/install/verify time.

Due to possible issues with the patcher taking a long time to fully update the client, we suggest that players use the manual patches to update. They can be found at:
    http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download
    1a. d3dx9_42.dll is "missing upon patching."

The game engine has been updated to utilize DirectX 9.0c. If you encounter an error that states "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42 was not found" you will need to update your DirectX End-User Runtime. It is located at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
    2. Unable to see other players and yourself.

Install DirectX 9.0, which can be found here

3. After installing, the client will not open PWI; says "Enter game failed"

Thanks to skydiver for giving a possible fix, installing Visual C++ will apparently fix it, the link can be found here

4. Half way through installing, the client will stop at "elementskil.dll" and you receive an error.

Ctrl Alt Del and end the "elementclient" process, you don't need to "retry" as it says.

4a. Similar to 4, but it will say "Corrupted" files.
    Refer here.

5. DirectX 9.0 is installed, but doesn't act like it is. I.E. Still can't see people or the client will say to install it.

6. Upon opening your friends list, it will be completely wiped.

Apparently, restarting the game will fix it. Thanks to _Zappy_ for the fix.

7. Client freezes upon login.

No verified fix for it yet; possible fix here If that doesn't work, refer to this post

8. Added by AnomenDelryn.
    Mostly likely something with the graphics card, but not 100% sure.

9. Refer to this for the "fix" to tracking quests.

10. Graphic glitches on characters during Violet Dance Mode.
    There is no way to fix it until the Devs come out with a patch to, but that's likely never going to happen. Look at the TB males in stealth for example.

11. Client crashes upon the "Announcement" Popup before login screen.

No fixes yet.

12. PvP protections are broken. "If target is not in your Party, buff is cast upon yourself" & "White-Named" Protection no longer works.
    No fix yet, something devs will have to do.

I know this won't stop the threads of asking what's wrong, but hopefully it will help those with half a brain that read. Also, if there's anything I missed, let me know.

Now if any of this helped you, go thank Ajiuo for being awesome and putting it all in one place.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • mallowpuffy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ok, I have read through all that info, and have downloaded the directx again, I think maybe I had an old version? anyway I downloaded it, but it wouldnt work, I clicked NO to the bing tool bar... but, when I clicked YES to the freekin tool bar the download continued, and is now complete?? so I will go and see if I can now see myself and others... thank you to the person who answered all the Q's, much appreciated b:kiss
  • mallowpuffy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Finally its working.. ok I downloaded the directX again... this time when it prompted me to accept the Bing tool bar I accepted? anyway I now have the game with all the bells and whistles, I was able to create a character, and am now in game.. now all I have to do is to figure out why I am running backwards!!!b:cry