Professional Opinion needed.

Options
Riad - Raging Tide
Riad - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Blademaster
Thanks for taking the time to view this thread, with that being said, these are my questions.

After days of pre-research on this game's mechanics and class pros and cons, i decided to make an axe blademaster following this guide:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Lyndura%27s_Blademaster_Class_Guide.

Now, i've been playing perfect world for around 3 weeks and i'm still new to some of the terminologies. What i have noticed is that alot of blademasters go for APS and skip VIT. I'm following a 6 STR 3 VIT 1 DEX guide for of course dual axes. I was told on many occasions that most blademasters usually get a second weapon / skills because it's "better".

What i'd like to know is if it's best if i do get a secondary weapon and skills or is being a pure Dual Axe blademaster fine enough for later on? I do not PVP at all so i'd like you to bear that in mind. Also, considering the hype about APS bm's, what's the maximum APS can anyone get with Dual axes and is it worth getting?

I don't really know much about bm's so i was hoping to get opinions from the professionals themselves, If however, i do change my weapon to a claw and try to get 5APS, i will miss the ability to be a secondary tank, second only to Barbarians but this brings up another question, are blademasters the versatile class mix of barbarians and assasins?

Like i said, i'm still new to abbreviations so if you're explaining something bear with my noob understanding. Thanks again for reading.

*EDIT I'm level 80, forum avatar is buggy.
Post edited by Riad - Raging Tide on

Comments

• _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    You shouldnt just stick with any one weapon type. Assuming you will be the debuffing bm in squads. Obviously you can use heavens flame but if you use a pole you can use glacial spike (the 59 skill that debuffs physical and magical defense) and you could possibly stack them if you time things correctly.
    I personally think all bms should carry a pair of claws/fists because. If the bm has interval then with claws or fists they would have a decent damage out put.
    Say the bm was like you who only used axes, assuming you would be using heavens flame when ever possible, if you had fists/claws you could have enough chi to hf every 30 seconds
    I dont know what max aps with axes are but i dont honestly think it would be worth it to get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
  • XHotRod - Lost City
    XHotRod - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to view this thread, with that being said, these are my questions.

After days of pre-research on this game's mechanics and class pros and cons, i decided to make an axe blademaster following this guide:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Lyndura%27s_Blademaster_Class_Guide.

Now, i've been playing perfect world for around 3 weeks and i'm still new to some of the terminologies. What i have noticed is that alot of blademasters go for APS and skip VIT. I'm following a 6 STR 3 VIT 1 DEX guide for of course dual axes. I was told on many occasions that most blademasters usually get a second weapon / skills because it's "better". It's best to go 3 str 2 dex every level because it gets all the requirements for every weapon. And if you are a "pure" (insert weapon here), you will be pretty useless in squads. If your pure axe, you have higher defense and have an amp damage, but you don't hit high and have a bad time keeping aggro. If you are pure fist, you hit high base damage but have no dragons which is really bad. A BM with no dragons should all get scolded.

What i'd like to know is if it's best if i do get a secondary weapon and skills or is being a pure Dual Axe blademaster fine enough for later on? I do not PVP at all so i'd like you to bear that in mind. Also, considering the hype about APS bm's, what's the maximum APS can anyone get with Dual axes and is it worth getting? If you don't PvP, you will still need fists. The max aps is 5.0. You will need aps or else you will be really useless in squads and take a lot longer with dungeons etc. By the way, the endgame PvP BM is a Rank 9 Axe BM.

I don't really know much about bm's so i was hoping to get opinions from the professionals themselves, If however, i do change my weapon to a claw and try to get 5APS, i will miss the ability to be a secondary tank, second only to Barbarians but this brings up another question, are blademasters the versatile class mix of barbarians and assasins?
    You got it the other way around bro. Being pure axe means your the secondary tank to Barbs. When you have fists, you are the Primary Tank in game. A Barbs flesh ream cannot keep a bosses aggro from a bms dps. Even with just pulling mobs in general, the BM will kill the wave faster and have less repairs. Barbs are just less likely to die with Invoke. And BM is not a mix of barb and sin, BMs are a mix of sin and seeker.Oh yeah, Barbs aren't very needed anymore. BMs, sins and seekers can outtank them easily.
    Like i said, i'm still new to abbreviations so if you're explaining something bear with my noob understanding. Thanks again for reading.

*EDIT I'm level 80, forum avatar is buggy.

^In red. I reccommend using Joshcjas guide.

You are level 80 in 3 weeks. Im 63 in a few days :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    First I rolled on Sanctuary as an Elf Archer in February 13th, 2009. I leveled it up to 82 the "Old Fashioned" way with just quests. A year later, I realized that Archers are butt terrible and rolled an multiple-weapon Warrior. Again, I leveled this Warrior the "Old Fashioned" way. Got it up to level 92. Tideborn came out, Gold was over 1 mil and I became butthurt. Quit for a year because I was doing terrible in school. Now I'm back and merchanting like a street prosti. And I have bought so many solo frosts, that I now get Frostgasms.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I took 9 months to get to 80 on my bm, point being?

Having an axe build is fine, but at lvl 80, you would have seen building chi for Heaven flame is hard if you use axes only. At around lvl 90, people get demon/sage spark. It is best to time the hf with the spark. If you use axes only, i doubt you can get back to 2 sparks in time without genie help after the 1st or 2nd hf.

Claws, fists are actually what lets you tank things at higher instances. I steal agro all the time now b:shocked, but what you are thinking of a tank is someone who can take a beating from a boss. If so, that means refining your end game gear to higher lvls to get more hp. A rough rule, +10 = 10k hp on all armour pieces at end game, +12=14~18k (depending on shards and sockets). That is when you have 3 base vit points.

Restating would help, but remember that aps gear will be costly, and if you want to get aps, might want to stop lvling at 80, do 8 tm runs at 1m each and get the cape.
  • Riad - Raging Tide
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks alot for your feedback all, i'm just a bit skeptical. I'll try to do some more research
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ok Riad, you seem to love Axe. I do too. I'll advise you what I did:

Level 1-84: Pure Axe BM.

Do the 3 Str per level, Dex to 60, Vit to 60 (or 55), everything else strength. You can solo AOE till 80/84 easy. With BP while doing it, you're a machine and its easy as hell.

You can also frost easy from 79-84, yea they may look at you weird for being axe only, but honestly you're there to AOE the heck outta the groups, stun, and HF groups and bosses.

When you hit 80, start doing the 3 STR / 2 DEX every level.

85-98:

Get two 50 point resets - Grab 50 out of Vit and 50 out of Strength, and get your dex up for GVs.

I was pure axe for years. I switched to Fist/Axe at 85.

It was amazing.

GVs are really cool, and with the -.1 Bracers, the -.05 from the GVs, -.05 From cape, and -.05 from tome, you become a machine. Even without the tome its fun as hell.

Thing is, your duty 90+ becomes to build chi, triple spark, cloud burst, HF, switch back to fists, and annihilate bosses. Group with another BM or two, and you guys just rotate HFs and the boss goes down instantly.

Even before 90 you just keep HFing those bosses and groups down. And you'll be AOEing the **** outta everything as well. Get a set of GXs at 90 - omg its so worth it.

You'll be living in Frost for the next few weeks till you hit 99/100 (Im close to 100 myself)

Get Deicides at 95. You can now solo the left side on Diabolic Shocktrooper.

99-100:

Can keep the Deicides or upgrade. You get more interval equip. Even at 4.0 sparked its practically permaspark heaven. Currently at 4.0, if I have demon BP and Im sparking, I never charm tick or even use pots on any bosses. 5.0 at 100 is gonna be nuts.

And then, I'm told, you live in Nirvana pretty much and sell raps and cannies or use them for more goods.

Yes, sins will outdamage us at 5.0. But 5.0 sins don't get leg-humped into squads constantly like we do due to our Demon HF.

You're also going to be looking at Pole skills for the 2 spark debuff to use on bosses immune to HF.

Last best advice I can give you:

Save up 90-100m and start shopping for Demon HF NOW. Last month or so Ive seen 4 for sale, thats it. Fist mastery and Bell also seem to be semi rare or expensive, if you have the coin, keep an eye out for the right price on them. Currently on my server Bell is 25m and Fist is 40m. And you can do cheaper, just have to be patient and keep an eye out in AH and WC.

I hope this gives a clearer picture. 95% of the end game BMs who go for PVP will still have the -int for 5aps gear. They PVP just fine with their R9 gear.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • ZackMystic - Harshlands
    ZackMystic - Harshlands Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    on my bm, 75 right now im mainly sticking to fist/claw for solo questing. when it comes to bh i usually use axes for them aoes, but also switch back to fist for fast chi buildup to just keep using ultmates. I really like myriad sword stance for its damage debuff but many people will disagree with me on its use-fullness. i've used all paths besides polearm...idk why but polearm didnt intrest much. i'll probably try it eventually. Btw sword is probably the most difficult path due to lower dmg but skills are very tactical i say. good luck to you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    78 Mystic ZackMystic
    95 BM ZackBlade
    Retired in March 2012, thx DarkNova for the fun.
    Exiirah made this purely awesome signature b:pleased Many thanks to her
  • Riad - Raging Tide
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ok Riad, you seem to love Axe. I do too. I'll advise you what I did:

Level 1-84: Pure Axe BM.

Do the 3 Str per level, Dex to 60, Vit to 60 (or 55), everything else strength. You can solo AOE till 80/84 easy. With BP while doing it, you're a machine and its easy as hell.

You can also frost easy from 79-84, yea they may look at you weird for being axe only, but honestly you're there to AOE the heck outta the groups, stun, and HF groups and bosses.

When you hit 80, start doing the 3 STR / 2 DEX every level.

85-98:

Get two 50 point resets - Grab 50 out of Vit and 50 out of Strength, and get your dex up for GVs.

I was pure axe for years. I switched to Fist/Axe at 85.

It was amazing.

GVs are really cool, and with the -.1 Bracers, the -.05 from the GVs, -.05 From cape, and -.05 from tome, you become a machine. Even without the tome its fun as hell.

Thing is, your duty 90+ becomes to build chi, triple spark, cloud burst, HF, switch back to fists, and annihilate bosses. Group with another BM or two, and you guys just rotate HFs and the boss goes down instantly.

Even before 90 you just keep HFing those bosses and groups down. And you'll be AOEing the **** outta everything as well. Get a set of GXs at 90 - omg its so worth it.

You'll be living in Frost for the next few weeks till you hit 99/100 (Im close to 100 myself)

Get Deicides at 95. You can now solo the left side on Diabolic Shocktrooper.

99-100:

Can keep the Deicides or upgrade. You get more interval equip. Even at 4.0 sparked its practically permaspark heaven. Currently at 4.0, if I have demon BP and Im sparking, I never charm tick or even use pots on any bosses. 5.0 at 100 is gonna be nuts.

And then, I'm told, you live in Nirvana pretty much and sell raps and cannies or use them for more goods.

Yes, sins will outdamage us at 5.0. But 5.0 sins don't get leg-humped into squads constantly like we do due to our Demon HF.

You're also going to be looking at Pole skills for the 2 spark debuff to use on bosses immune to HF.

Last best advice I can give you:

Save up 90-100m and start shopping for Demon HF NOW. Last month or so Ive seen 4 for sale, thats it. Fist mastery and Bell also seem to be semi rare or expensive, if you have the coin, keep an eye out for the right price on them. Currently on my server Bell is 25m and Fist is 40m. And you can do cheaper, just have to be patient and keep an eye out in AH and WC.

I hope this gives a clearer picture. 95% of the end game BMs who go for PVP will still have the -int for 5aps gear. They PVP just fine with their R9 gear.

What you're saying makes alot of sense but right now, i have 254 STR 138 VIT and 50 DEX
    Should i reset 100 points from VIT and just get alot of DEX? or as you said, 50 from VIT and 50 from STR, if i do that however, i won't be able to weild my dual axes anymore. and what should it have been from the start? 3STR 2DEX per level? I see alot of BM's tell me that's what they get to weild all weapons. TYVM for your info.

*EDIT*

For anyone new who's posting, is being a pure dual axe blademaster a really terrible thing to be? I know you should always get a second weapon path but i feel as tho nothing's wrong with being just dual axes at least at my level - 80. I really wanted to get the warflame cleavers but it seems that my money should be spent on Fist/Claw's instead of axes and to be honest, 4+ APS sounds like a blast but i'm just a bit annoyed i already followed someone else's guide and they didn't speak on getting more than one path.

Resetting skill points is a bit expensive as well, 15 gold to reset my VIT which imo is ridiculous. What i really wanna know is if people will still take me in their groups if i was REALLY tanky with dual axes alone OR maybe dual axes/poleaxe combo at least! Something where i don't have to pay to reset my skills. I must say i like my 6 STR 3 VIT 1 DEX per 2 levels cause i get decent hp bonuses but let's be honest, how many successful 100+ pure dual axes are there out there?
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    For anyone new who's posting, is being a pure dual axe blademaster a really terrible thing to be? I know you should always get a second weapon path but i feel as tho nothing's wrong with being just dual axes at least at my level - 80. I really wanted to get the warflame cleavers but it seems that my money should be spent on Fist/Claw's instead of axes and to be honest, 4+ APS sounds like a blast but i'm just a bit annoyed i already followed someone else's guide and they didn't speak on getting more than one path.

Resetting skill points is a bit expensive as well, 15 gold to reset my VIT which imo is ridiculous. What i really wanna know is if people will still take me in their groups if i was REALLY tanky with dual axes alone OR maybe dual axes/poleaxe combo at least! Something where i don't have to pay to reset my skills. I must say i like my 6 STR 3 VIT 1 DEX per 2 levels cause i get decent hp bonuses but let's be honest, how many successful 100+ pure dual axes are there out there?

Being a pure axe BM is only useful in TW, pretty much. Yes, axes excell in the two most important aspects of a BM, HF and stun/crowd control. However, most the time no crowd control is really needed or an aoe stun is good then 15 second cooldown. And HF takes 1.9 seconds to cast and has a 30 second cooldown so what do you do for the other 28 seconds? Claws will help you build chi faster to use those stuns/HFs, as well as give you tons more damage (seriously, endgame claws will out dps axes by about ten times). The trade of for your lack of accuracy, damage, and chi gain is 1.5k hp and a bit of defense but never using it because you'll never hold aggro. Every other BM is doing exactly what you are doing with less hp, and probably better because rather than taking more damage they are just killing things faster.

Unfortunately you used a guide original created in December of 2008. It is an excellent guide and still valid in many areas, but Lindura and it are often made fun of because of how out dated and incorrect some of the assumptions in it are. The best source is the forums, if you are unsure about something then ask.

I personally went axe/pole/sword/fist from level 1. I favored axes 1-29 but found fists gave me more survivability and were much more useful from 29+, mostly because of the chi gain. Levels 99+ became more about stacked interval gear, but even before then fists are usually my tool of choice, depending on the situation.

Yes, I'd recommend a restat away from vitality but first get refines on so you don't feel too much of the hurt. You can even wait till 90+ or 99+ depending on how fast you level. FCC squads will expect you to have both axes and fists, without either you're basically doing only half the job. Check Joshcja's frequently asked question guide, or my guide which is linked in there.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    "What you're saying makes alot of sense but right now, i have 254 STR 138 VIT and 50 DEX
    Should i reset 100 points from VIT and just get alot of DEX? or as you said, 50 from VIT and 50 from STR, if i do that however, i won't be able to weild my dual axes anymore. and what should it have been from the start? 3STR 2DEX per level? I see alot of BM's tell me that's what they get to weild all weapons. TYVM for your info."

Actually, you went a bit overboard with VIT on your build it seems. You want to dump about 128-133 points out of VIT if those are your stats without gear on. Double check for yourself though to be sure you aren't counting any equip.

Essentially your base VIT needs to be 5-10 once you hit your area for fists. I know it seems awful, but you will get higher HP with the right refines and shards just fine. Even at +5 refines and HP shards you'll be in good condition at 90 with Mountaincrasher. TT80 Green or Gold at +3 to +5 worked just fine for me on my BM and Barb.

I can also say that although high HP is nice for AOE grinding, high strength is better. You kill things soooo much faster. Think about it this way, as what I found grinding pirates back in the day before I moved my Vit down to 60:

High STR: 2 rounds of aoes to kill mobs, 1 with HF.

Decent STR, higher vit: 2.5 rounds of aoes to kill mobs, With HF 1 round plus 1-2 more aoe skills.

Same survivability, but more efficient with high STR. This was back before hypers and the FF change too, I charm ticked maybe 1-2 times an hour.

In terms for your concern with not being able to weild axes, as long as you keep it 3 str per level you're fine. Essentially with where you went with your build, you're most likely going to remove vit, and dump most into dex, and the rest into strength.

Honestly keep driving for 79/80, and any of us can help you where to stat out for Fist/Axe when you get there. If your base Vit is 138, stop putting that in, and start upping strength. Get dex to 60 though, its worth it for the crit.

"For anyone new who's posting, is being a pure dual axe blademaster a really terrible thing to be? I know you should always get a second weapon path but i feel as tho nothing's wrong with being just dual axes at least at my level - 80. I really wanted to get the warflame cleavers but it seems that my money should be spent on Fist/Claw's instead of axes and to be honest, 4+ APS sounds like a blast but i'm just a bit annoyed i already followed someone else's guide and they didn't speak on getting more than one path.

Resetting skill points is a bit expensive as well, 15 gold to reset my VIT which imo is ridiculous. What i really wanna know is if people will still take me in their groups if i was REALLY tanky with dual axes alone OR maybe dual axes/poleaxe combo at least! Something where i don't have to pay to reset my skills. I must say i like my 6 STR 3 VIT 1 DEX per 2 levels cause i get decent hp bonuses but let's be honest, how many successful 100+ pure dual axes are there out there? "

Okay what Sakubatou said is on page, he's a good guy. Joshcja's guide stickied in our forums is also great information, even in its 4th grade English level snarky gamer style.

I can add my thoughts to your questions here though:

Honestly, **** happens and you make mistakes. It's how you recover from them that makes you a good player/person/businessman/etc.

Whats nice IS that you can get the resets not too difficultly. Yes gold is insane right now (mix of good and bad for Merchants like me), but here's my advice that I always give people who need money to do something they want/need:

Go to pwinsider.wordpress.com and find warrenwolfy's guide. It pretty much sums up everything I've ever done to make coin in this game.

Grind DQ items...now. And sell them to players.

Go mow some lawns, shovel snow, clean a house, something easy and quick and sell some gold. It's 1.8-2m right now per gold on my server.

But to your question - there really aren't any successful pure axes out there past 80/85, particularly 90+. Efficiency is key, and nothing we have builds chi, tanks, does dps, like high interval fists. You'll still be using axes...alot. And pole in Nirvana. But fist will be your single target DPS and chi building skill.

Many BMs like to switch to pole and sword for situational PvP as well (Axe is still king)

So thats three of the 4 weapon styles. And that is kind of what is intended for the class - master of different weapon styles for the situation.

Fists to build chi -> spark -> HF or GS -> fists to build chi (repeat). And of course, especially in FF, AOE mow with axes (Pole is kinda nice for harpies there...).
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Riad - Raging Tide
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Tyvm for all the feedback, i guess i have alot of mistakes to correct b:surrenderb:surrenderb:surrenderb:surrender
  • toyoy73
    toyoy73 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    me i only use dual axes too...

well a lot like to use fists as an alternate weapon and it is quite a good thing though you would face a problem with your points. Axes/hammers use too much str while fists use too much dex.

as with the issue on having 2 sparks for HF requirement, I use the two marrow skills to get the needed 2 sparks...lol...upgrade them to their max to have more chi for the sparks.
  • SpazzMcAps - Harshlands
    SpazzMcAps - Harshlands Posts: 2,561 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I dont know what max aps with axes are. but SpazzMcAps is so cool he will probably make a pwcalc for us
    i would but pwcalc is being fussy on my computer
    you can techinicallly be 5 aps with halberd of the king eon