Manual Patch - Am I Doing This Wrong LOL

honeychyld71
honeychyld71 Posts: 24 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I first tried updating the regular way and was taking forever, then I saw the thread for the manual patches.

I downloaded the patches, then the launcher opens, reading the patch, and it still is taking as long o.o I've been sitting forever and it's hardly moved lol!

Idk, I've never manually patched, just opened the launcher and let it do it's thingb:chuckle
Post edited by honeychyld71 on

Comments

• talyho
    talyho Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    me too... wth? why patching update take so long
  • Nimmanic - Lost City
    Nimmanic - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    same it gets stuck for me on elementskil.dll and then tells me theres a error no matter wa i do
  • honeychyld71
    edited February 2012
    When Genesis was launched it never took this long >.>

I thought the manual patching was supposed to be fasterb:surrender
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    same it gets stuck for me on elementskil.dll and then tells me theres a error no matter wa i do

Ctrl+alt+delete open task manager click process and close element client.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Sone_ - Archosaur
    Sone_ - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    My computer almost always updates PWI super fast, but it's taking a buttload of time right now o.o"". Maybe it's just a huge update? b:surrender
  • honeychyld71
    edited February 2012
    I haven't encountered an error..and I hope I don't..it's the length of time it's taking to update.

I realize it's a content update,and it won't be lightning fast, but whether I update manually or the regular way, it's taking forever. I've been sitting here for hours and it's hardly moved - and yes I have high-speed internet.

I don't get it b:surrender
  • Annonrae - Sanctuary
    Annonrae - Sanctuary Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I noticed that for me, it's apparently updating AND verifying files at the same time. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case whenever I ran previous updates. Maybe that's why it's taking so long?
  • Naturion - Dreamweaver
    Naturion - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Seriously this is taking forever updating the damn game ...-.-
  • Channman - Lost City
    Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    its a big update.... ofc it will take a little longer.. i been running about 25 mins and am close to half way done not sure why you guys are taking so long
  • Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver
    Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Tip for Linux users: Get the manual pacth, start the updating and don't touch your computer for the next 3 hours.

Just changing windows causes the patcher to crash --'.
    Trolling since September 2008b:victory

Don't worry. I might stop trolling and say something useful... One day....
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I got the update through and now I am stuck at "Sorting Patch Files" at the same percentage on the bar......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I first tried updating the regular way and was taking forever, then I saw the thread for the manual patches.

I downloaded the patches, then the launcher opens, reading the patch, and it still is taking as long o.o I've been sitting forever and it's hardly moved lol!

Idk, I've never manually patched, just opened the launcher and let it do it's thingb:chuckle

You downloaded both? <_< No, that's not how manual patches work with PWI. b:chuckle

What was the client version you started with before you started to patch? If you've just downloaded a clean client off the website, you'd want the v580-612 patch ONLY.

If you were playing more recently and had a fully updated client before the expansion, you're running version 606. So you'll want to use the v606-612 patch ONLY. Trying to update using the wrong version causes patcher freezes.

Also this is an expansion. Expansion patches always take longer because there's usually a complete overhaul of major parts of the game. So patching will take longer, but you have less chance of getting patcher to server lag when the patch is running from your computer and not over your internet.

Load up the patcher, and go take a nap. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Sumine - Sanctuary
    Sumine - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm not even 1/4 into the patch and I did use the manual patch. This is pretty sad...I hope it won't crash halfway or anything. Guess I'll go and make myself an elaborate lunch ^__^ let's hope the bar has progressed atleast a little by the time I come back.
  • Descendus - Lost City
    Descendus - Lost City Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    You downloaded both? <_< No, that's not how manual patches work with PWI. b:chuckle

What was the client version you started with before you started to patch? If you've just downloaded a clean client off the website, you'd want the v580-612 patch ONLY.

If you were playing more recently and had a fully updated client before the expansion, you're running version 606. So you'll want to use the v606-612 patch ONLY. Trying to update using the wrong version causes patcher freezes.

Also this is an expansion. Expansion patches always take longer because there's usually a complete overhaul of major parts of the game. So patching will take longer, but you have less chance of getting patcher to server lag when the patch is running from your computer and not over your internet.

Load up the patcher, and go take a nap. =P

You sir just saved me from an *** load of grief, a friend told me that the update via normal means was taking forever and advised me to do the manual download >.< but said to get the 580 Patch, stopped it at 65% when I just read your post and now Downloading patch 606, Tyvm xD b:victoryb:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Need better/up-to-date sig)

Remember my name. For it's the one you will fear in your waking nightmares...
  • smeggle
    smeggle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I kept getting stuck on elemetskill and then i would get an error. Nothing I did worked. If any advice or tips plz help
  • Descendus - Lost City
    Descendus - Lost City Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    smeggle wrote: »
    I kept getting stuck on elemetskill and then i would get an error. Nothing I did worked. If any advice or tips plz help

That should help, if it doesn't then you just broke The Game.... I'm such a ****, I know XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Need better/up-to-date sig)

Remember my name. For it's the one you will fear in your waking nightmares...
  • HisSukkubus - Archosaur
    HisSukkubus - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    What if you patched with the wrong patch file before reading this thread and now your launcher says Enter game fails b:shockedb:cry
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    What if you patched with the wrong patch file before reading this thread and now your launcher says Enter game fails b:shockedb:cry
    Which client version did you have before patching (580 is fresh, 606 is current) and which patch(s) did you use?

1) Try verifying files. If this doesn't work, see 2)

2) Do you get an error that says "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42 was not found"? If yes, see 3a) If no, see 3b)

3a) You need to update your DirectX to 9.0c. Only use this if you are seeing error " d3dx9_42 was not found".

3b) You may have to uninstall and reinstall a fresh client. Patch the fresh client with the 580-612 patch ONLY or let it update automatically.

I hope one of these works for you =P

You sir just saved me from an *** load of grief, a friend told me that the update via normal means was taking forever and advised me to do the manual download >.< but said to get the 580 Patch, stopped it at 65% when I just read your post and now Downloading patch 606, Tyvm xD b:victoryb:thanks

b:chuckle You're welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • HisSukkubus - Archosaur
    HisSukkubus - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure I had 606 and used the 580 patch QQ I am currently verifying thank you very much I hope I don't have to reinstall as this verify seems it's going to take awhile itself XD
    tyvvvvm :D
  • siumiki
    siumiki Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    its normal. when genies expansion came out it took like 6 hours for most ppl to update. so go bake late valentines cookies because it is gonna take a while
  • Assasinadia - Archosaur
    Assasinadia - Archosaur Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    2/3 done after 2 & half hours b:shocked... with NASA speed computer b:surrender
  • Dollci - Harshlands
    Dollci - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2012

maybe ill try this :D
  • honeychyld71
    edited February 2012
    I got the update through and now I am stuck at "Sorting Patch Files" at the same percentage on the bar......

Now I'm stuck here toob:cry
  • Darg_race - Sanctuary
    Darg_race - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Still waiting for the sorting files to finish, i'm getting older...

Woot, looks like the sorting patch files yellow bar is moving at a extremely slow speed, i see hope...

I know this is a 862MB patch with lots of files in it, but it still shouldn't take this long to update and sorting the files. Maybe there is a problem with uploading and downloading this patch over at PWE HQ or their servers
  • Bosk - Sanctuary
    Bosk - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I almost always use the Manual Patch file as I find downloading it first and then installing the patch to be a lot faster than doing an automatic update.

The Manual Patch file (606-612) is almost 900 meg, which for me required about 6 minutes to download. Once complete, I just opened it and it did the update. I did not time this part, but I know it was under 2 hours (I suspect it might have been less than 30 minutes, as I was AFK during most of the update).

The only significant issue I had was with the DirectX 9.0 update that is also required and is NOT automatic (at least not for my old Laptop with Windows XP). It took about 15 minutes to find something detailing this on the forums and do the update, with two reboots. There are links in the posts above, so I won't link them again here, but I do encourage people to use the official Microsoft site and not a DLL download library. For one reason, the Microsoft DirectX installer installs the DLL files that are appropriate for your OS and Hardware. Downloading a DLL with the same name might not be the DLL you need for your hardware/OS configuration (you need to also know the appropriate version number and release date, but even that might not be enough as MS often releases multiple instances of the same version). And there are other more nefarious reasons not to use other versions on the web.

In the past I have installed an older patch on a newer version without problems. So, using the 580-612 patch when your current version is 606 should be okay, however using a later patch on an older version is likely not going to work (if you have 580 as your latest version and you use the 606-612 update, expect trouble).

Good Luck!
    Dante: "Cute is a relative term."
  • FatalFem - Heavens Tear
    FatalFem - Heavens Tear Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm having problems with the patcher as well. It got stuck at a certain point :(
  • honeychyld71
    edited February 2012
    Ok..finally I'm in-game LOL!

Thanks guys for all the help :)
  • ChiefZoltar - Heavens Tear
    ChiefZoltar - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    siumiki wrote: »
    its normal. when genies expansion came out it took like 6 hours for most ppl to update. so go bake late valentines cookies because it is gonna take a while

Today isn't the day after Valentine's Day. It's Saint Skeletor's Day. Bake cookies for that if you must.
  • deathmarine
    deathmarine Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    well my old xp laptop was faster at manual patch than my win 7 computer by horse lenghts. So I srecomend all to get worse computers xD hehe

seriously though. my main comp been manual patching for over 2 hrs now. and just half way sorting through files. It was faster to download and install the darn game than it is to patch this. Couldn't they jsut make a new installer so you wouldn't have to patch. Would be faster at least for me. ..... ..... *takes a dirt nap meanwhile*
  • U_Sasuke - Sanctuary
    U_Sasuke - Sanctuary Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    took me 1 hr n half for everything and im done b:victory