Descent v612 update - Can't Patch, Invisible Chars, .dll error, HELP!

darthpanda16
darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Support Desk

To Help With Patching issues:

It may take you 1-3 hours to autopatch the game on a broadband connection.

It is probably best to use the manual patches directly from perfect world:

Patch 606-612 (862MB)
Patch 580-612 (870MB)

After you use the manual patch or complete the auto patch, restart your computer and then startup the launcher again.

Manual patches will be on the download page and also here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=818282#post818282

Because so many of the game files are going to be changed, it may be a good idea to temporariliy disable or shut down your antivirus or firewall while updating until you can login. If you have added the game folder to the exception list for your security software, it may not be an issue. It will take some trial and error on your part.

You may have to restart the launcher multiple times.

To help with the .dll/DirectX error, and having missing characters or NPCs in the game:

1) If you encounter a DirectX error, dll error, or invisible characters, try updating with this on Windows 7, Vista, and XP:[/COLOR][/B]

Web Installer
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

2) Then restart your computer.

You will need to install this if you get those kinds of errors, even if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 so that DirectX 9 files can be copied over to the right spot.

--OR--

=====> Information to help with the .dll/DirectX error, and having missing characters or NPCs in the game:

1) If you encounter a DirectX error, dll error, or invisible characters, try updating with this on Windows 7, Vista, and XP:

Web Installer
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

2) Then restart your computer.

You will need to install this if you get those kinds of errors, even if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 so that DirectX 9 files can be copied over to the right spot.

--OR--

You can try this method:

We found one source for the dll file, but don't know how genuine it is, so use AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1) You can download d3dx9_42.dll here: http://dllcentral.com/d3dx9_42.dll/9...3001/download/

2) Paste this file into your system32 and system folder. Also put it in your syswow

3) Navigate to your System32(32Bit OS) or SyWOW64(64Bit OS) Folder.
Note: The location of System32 or SyWOW64 is
C:Windows\System32 (If you are using 32Bit Windows)
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (if you are using 64Bit Windows)

4) Paste the d3dx9_42.dll into this folder.

5) Run the game. It may or may not work now.

Your video chipset hardware needs to support features for DirectX 9.0c level minimum for graphic visuals. DirectX 9 came out in 2002 (10+ years ago), and 9.0c original spec came out in 2004.

Restart your PC and try again.

Your video chipset hardware needs to support features for DirectX 9.0c level minimum for graphic visuals. DirectX 9 came out in 2002 (10+ years ago), and 9.0c original spec came out in 2004.

Thank you all for your dedication, patience, and understanding on this latest major release!
Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
Post edited by darthpanda16 on

Comments

• Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    whats patch version with game installer ?(not the v612 i mean )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • darthpanda16
    edited February 2012
    If you just downloaded and installed the game client, that is version 580.

So the 580-612 should hook you right up.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • jsfj
    jsfj Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    pwi needs to link a site to download directx 9.0 so ppl can play or all this was a waiste of my time
  • darthpanda16
    edited February 2012
    Windows XP should be updated to 9.0c with Service Pack 3.

You can do a search online for Microsoft Windows, how to update DirectX 9.0c, and how to update Service Packs from 1 or 2 to 3.
  • darthpanda16
    edited February 2012
    Servers are live and getting populated with people! b:victory
  • TheFire - Lost City
    TheFire - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    jsfj wrote: »
    pwi needs to link a site to download directx 9.0 so ppl can play or all this was a waiste of my time

yea im haveing that same trouble what is it...and is there a web site to get it from???
  • TheFire - Lost City
    TheFire - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    nvm tyty for replying to my post you guys and girls are awsome <3
  • Naturion - Dreamweaver
    Naturion - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    why is it taking forever updating the game :( it never takes this long for me
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Is I need v9.0c even if v11 installed (W7)? b:angry
    Answer: yes. Need to download DirectX Runtimes
  • Lellaishi - Lost City
    Lellaishi - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I have a problem not sure where to post it but after i patched pwi and logged in successfully but my character and all npc and other players are not visible how do i fix this problem? b:cry please help me fix this
  • Llewelyn - Raging Tide
    Llewelyn - Raging Tide Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    After patcher update I keep getting the following error every time I try to run the patcher:
    Entry point for the GetStrValueIniFile procedure in the PackDLL.dll library not found.

I cannot update the game....
  • darthpanda16
    edited February 2012
    Please review my first post. Try the manual patches if you need too, and update DirectX.

If you need further help after you have fully Searched the Forums and Support Knowledge Base and have not fixed your problem, please send in a ticket to Tech Support b:victory
  • Llewelyn - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Where should runtimes be unpacked to? Since the linked pack doesn't perform any installation, it just unpacks the cabs files in it... It does not even indicate any installation folder.
  • Shanabee - Harshlands
    Shanabee - Harshlands Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    b:sad why patcher wont log me into game i updated all and have directx 9.0cb:cry
  • Llewelyn - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    After installing redistributables, the patcher still gives the same error on startup. I'm downloading manual patches but how to install them without a patcher? Is there some manually loaded last patcher release?
  • myssa311
    myssa311 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Having the same problem GetStrValueIniFile procedure in the PackDLL.dll library not found, *sighs* If anyone has found how to fix this please post..would be greatly appreciated.
  • mordrin
    mordrin Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I downloaded the manual patch and when it went to update it gave me an error message and stopped the update can someone help me please iv been have trouble with this all day so far
  • Shanabee - Harshlands
    Shanabee - Harshlands Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    enter game fails b:cry
  • Lellaishi - Lost City
    Lellaishi - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I did use the manual patches and updated directX and still have that problem.
  • thejeepman
    thejeepman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    So I first downloaded the Manual patcher that they listed in the cabbage patch notes, and installed that which then changed my patcher from 606 to 580? so what was the point of that?
  • marepacificum
    marepacificum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I did use the manual patches and updated directX and still have that problem.

I'm having that issue too :(
  • Eariala - Sanctuary
    Eariala - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Windows XP should be updated to 9.0c with Service Pack 3.

You can do a search online for Microsoft Windows, how to update DirectX 9.0c, and how to update Service Packs from 1 or 2 to 3.

My main windows XP SP3 machine was completly updated (checked yesterday) and patched and needed that extra install of the DirectX install.
  • Xoger - Raging Tide
    Xoger - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i also have a problem with the game but its after i launch it (it patched succesfully and i do START button and it works) then the game open and i click confirm on the announcements and then the book try to open just before i can log and then the screen freeze ( I can't see the window to enter my information to log in) , i hope someone have found how to fix this plz answer me b:surrender
    Server Raging Tide:
    Regox - 100 sage barb
    Xoger - 100 demon BM
  • _Lucretia_ - Dreamweaver
    _Lucretia_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I downloaded the patch and also the DirectX 9.0. Then when I go to log onto the game. I can click on the start icon, which works. Then when it goes to the loading screen. Which uselly turns on the announcements and your log account screen. The screen loads black instead and all I can see is my mouse icon and a black screen.
  • MoonsMyst - Heavens Tear
    MoonsMyst - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i have simuliar problem, i autoupdate it without manual patch so i choose this 3 hours autopatchin, i downloaded direct x to but still after i open game and get notice and after i klik noticec ether my game close or i cant see my toons, but i only see here alot ppl havin same problems and nobody solvin em or givin hints how to fix it so i guess i cant hope much to fix mine to.
  • ImaPurpleU - Sanctuary
    ImaPurpleU - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Same here.
    Game updated on manual patch, installed the DirectX9.0c also runetime version but when do i start game i have the message about it needs DirectX9.0, i reinstalled, restart pc but still nothing... i cannot play now after like 5 hours waiting for update complete.....
    the error msg i got is: missing file d3dx9_42.dll
  • XKi - Lost City
    XKi - Lost City Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Wut's the target folder the direct x update is supposed to go in? >_>
  • Llewelyn - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Any, its just needed to unpack the redistributions, then you will install them with startup.
  • Foxmeko - Dreamweaver
    Foxmeko - Dreamweaver Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Wut's the target folder the direct x update is supposed to go in? >_>

I wonder the same thing
  • ReapersHeart - Heavens Tear
    ReapersHeart - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I wonder the same thing

^ what they said, i downloaded it but stuck it in downloads and when i start the game it still says i need directX, where am i ment to ut the files?
This discussion has been closed.