_Ernesto_ - Raging Tide Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    alienware M18x or gtfo
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Search function FTW...

I've posted this before, I will now post it again....

The client's engine is CPU intensive since it dates back to around 2004 and has not been updated since. Hell it doesn't even support multi-core CPU's. Besides which, if you're going to throw a lot of money at a system to play a MMO, save yourself some trouble and spend it on your internet connection instead.

That said, here's what I've got...
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz CPU
    4 GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 460GTX 768MB video card
    Several Hard drives, size doesn't matter as long as you have 6-8GB of free space for the client.
    CD/DVD specs are **** because you don't use a disk for the game.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    No batteries because this is a Desktop.

My system is a bit over 5 years old now and runs the client at 1080p with an average of around 65FPS. (IN West Archosaur, or TW, it does drop down into the 20's, that can't be helped.) It cost me a mere $500 at the time and I am certain I could build a newer system for a similar price today.
    24GB of ram is pretty much worthless unless you're running a server, so dunno what you plan to do with that. I mean even with no swap file 12GB is more than enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    http://originpc.com/eon17-gaming-laptop-features.asp

Better source. PWI has met its match in playability. b:chuckle
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

Why would you want that? Sure it looks pretty, but you get like 45 minutes of battery life. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • MiniST - Sanctuary
    MiniST - Sanctuary Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    why in the world would you need/want i7 and that GPU on a laptop.... it gonna make you sterile from all the heat in injects into your legs b:chuckle
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Desktop computer for gaming or gtfo.

Yes that will run PWI...But seriously $7000 for that? You could build your own desktop that will be much better than your laptop for like $1000.

Max RAM you'll need, ever, is like 4 or 8 GB.

$7000 is a ripoff imo.

SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. You are getting scammed sir.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • _Ernesto_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Why would you want that? Sure it looks pretty, but you get like 45 minutes of battery life. lol

b:surrender 30 mins here
  • _Ernesto_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Desktop computer for gaming or gtfo.

Yes that will run PWI...But seriously $7000 for that? You could build your own desktop that will be much better than your laptop for like $1000.

Max RAM you'll need, ever, is like 4 or 8 GB.

$7000 is a ripoff imo.

SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. You are getting scammed sir.

thats right the M18x(which is way better and the battery actually dont drain in 30min, that was just a joke xD) is on 2k
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    b:surrender 30 mins here

Haha... ouch. I almost bought one of those too. I decided on the Asus G73, and it's severed me well for about a year now. Battery life is about and hour and 15 minutes though.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Xilplxim - Dreamweaver
    Xilplxim - Dreamweaver Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    just bought this. in west arch running anywhere from 25-30 fps everywhere else 50+ on almost max. all for under 500 bucks. very impressive laptop. ive used a VAIO for the last 6 years and was skeptical about Lenovo but so far so good. its not a top of the line gaming laptop but for the price i think i got a steal. do some research theres no need to spend 7 grand in my opinion.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    In most cases, Desktops > Laptops for anything gaming-related.

That said, I can tell you that one of the biggest factors will be your video card(s). Most laptops have integrated video cards, the performance of which can range from "okay" to "meh." My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad - which admittedly I got for reasons other than gaming performance - and it runs PWI alright. I can keep the distance up, but the more fancy effects I usually turn off on it. I often find myself turning off distant players to keep the framerate acceptable in Archosaur. (Just don't ask me how well it runs Minecraft <_>)

My desktop is much better because I actually picked one with decent stats primarily for running PWI. The only thing it was missing was a good video card, so I picked one up separately. And that's the best thing about desktops - you can easily **** with the hardware. :P

I never memorize the exact stats though, and I'm too lazy to open up my laptop at this point (tl;dr: it's nothing special), but the stats on the desktop are:
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor (2.8GHz)
    6.0 GB RAM, could easily upgrade to 8 if I felt like it
    1TB HDD (about 920MB of it usable, currently 843MB free)
    GeForce GT 220 video card, 1GB dedicated memory
    Win7 Home Premium

I can run PWI on that desktop with the settings maxed, and it still gets at least as good performance as the laptop does, usually somewhat better.

Never, ever evereverEVER run PWI on a laptop running on battery though. From personal experience, there is NO faster way to drain your battery and reduce its battery life short of smashing it with a hammer. From a few weeks of playing PWI until the battery drained, the laptop I had before this one went from maybe 30min of PWI on battery to maybe 2min... and the battery itself couldn't even do normal activities for more than 20min at that point.

Finally, $7,000 is an absurd amount to spend on any laptop (and it'd be a hell of a stretch even for a desktop). Either that thing cures cancer, or it's marketed to idiots. Don't buy it. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide
    Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    LOL you guys even take this post serious. I mean, can't you see that this is an