PW INTERNATIONAL? no so....

Options
karmelia
karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
This sweepstakes is open only to participants who are legal residents age 18 or older of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island)

You have no problem when international players pay you to buy zen for the cash shop, but you are too cheap to make your sweepstake available to us, eh?

Yous suck, PWI....
Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
Post edited by karmelia on

Comments

• TPstar - Sanctuary
    TPstar - Sanctuary Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Probably the legal department says no.
  • karmelia
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Probably the legal department says no.

Their legal department don't say no to international players' credit cards tho.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • TPstar - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »

Credit Card is probably protected by some kind of merchant or trading law and backed by some kind of bank. b:surrender
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Options

Credit cards aren't subject to country customs policies, nor are they subject to sweepstakes laws in any country. So many countries have differing laws on how people can win and/or accept prizes that it isn't worth it for a company to go through the hassle of verifying that their prize is within those laws. Thus, physical prizes are usually limited to the country in which the business exists.
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Credit cards aren't subject to country customs policies, nor are they subject to sweepstakes laws in any country. So many countries have differing laws on how people can win and/or accept prizes that it isn't worth it for a company to go through the hassle of verifying that their prize is within those laws. Thus, physical prizes are usually limited to the country in which the business exists.

It still doesn't change the fact that they do want international money but when it comes to something free (of value) that can be won by actually JUST playing the game international suddenly only stands for US... oh yeah, Excluding even Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It still doesn't change the fact that they do want international money but when it comes to something free (of value) that can be won by actually JUST playing the game international suddenly only stands for US... oh yeah, Excluding even Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island.

It isn't really worth it for them to get deep into import/export laws when giving something away. Many times they end up paying 2 to 3 times what an item is worth to just legally be able to send it to a foreign country. If you notice, many sweepstakes are run only in the country of origin, this isn't something exclusive to PWE.

Also, the exclusion of Rhode Island is due to its (honestly) **** laws and limits on winning sweepstakes, and the exclusion of Hawaii and Alaska is due to import/export laws. They don't do it because they want to exclude them, they do it because it isn't worth it for them to include them.b:surrender
  • ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver
    ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    then why not offer like 2000 zen for other areas to make it fair?
  • LadyMaraJade - Sanctuary
    LadyMaraJade - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

then its huge slap in face all your otherplayer base that a only a few can do * it should be something that All of PWI player base can join in not just 1 country*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TPstar - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Get over it. b:shocked Keyboard/mouse is probably sponsored by Logitech's US division. b:surrender
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Omg, you cant win something!!
    Poor you... Not like we are many playing at this game, but...

I can't be at this contest btw.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Puberty - Harshlands
    Puberty - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    International in the fact that you can play it anywhere (granted the place you're playing at doesn't already have it's own native server) and that's it.

Like it was already stated, other countries don't have the same customs laws and regulations that the U.S does so it's not simple to ship things like this out of the states.
    The servers here are also ALL U.S based.
    So essentially, you're also whining about the time of TW and events as well.

It's like this with pretty much every game. "GMS", "iRO", they're all the same. Servers are U.S. hosted & based, can be played from anywhere in the world but they cannot ship 'prizes' to you.

You can call it greed, or law or whatever, but that it how the situation is and it won't be changing anytime soon.

I however do agree with the above poster who mentioned zhen as a consolation prize for international 'winners'.
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thus, physical prizes are usually limited to the country in which the business exists.

If the PWI doesnt exist in my country then what am I playing and paying?b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
  • Puberty - Harshlands
    Puberty - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If the PWI doesnt exist in my country then what am I playing and paying?b:shocked

What he means to say is that PWE is based in the US. (California, to be specific)
    PWE has a presence where you are (since you can obviously play the game) but they are not based there.
  • Pensil - Harshlands
    Pensil - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There is PWI office in Europe too. But I don't see any Sweepstakes in DE or FR website.

It isn't that complicated. There is little to no cost to PWI itself, but problem might occur to the winning person, as he/she might have to pay fees for importing that prize.
    Let's say I win 1st prize, and person on customs had bad day so they decided to charge me, I'd have to pay 52,3euro fees, compared to 230euro price of Logitech keyboard and mouse.

Shipping price is nothing compared to what players spend in this game.

But, Logitech also has their office in almost every EU country, so those fees could easily be avoided by letting local Logitech offices send rewards.

And that PWI Barbarian Statuette could easily pass customs without any fees, at it's probably really cheap, few euros (Made in China b:shutup).

Btw: this PWI forum is also here for support for UK and other English speaking players. EU servers have only DE and FR forums. b:thanks
  • ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear
    ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    1) none of this is new

2) contests have always been this way

3) the company's based in the States, and yet you seem surprised, and take it as a personal affront

4) the time has come for you to get over yourself
  • Pensil - Harshlands
    Pensil - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    3) the company's based in the States, and yet you seem surprised, and take it as a personal affront

As I said, there is Perfect World Europe.

Perfect World Europe B.V.
    Atlas Arena, Africa Building
    Hoogoorddreef 9, 5th floor
    1101 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands

And as I said, this forum is also for EU players who speak English. There is no dedicated English forum for EU players (hint: check the flag at the top of this page, it's mix of USA/UK).
  • Eccii - Raging Tide
    Eccii - Raging Tide Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If i remember correctly International always meant Canada and the states...
    Very international, right?
    Retired on Barb-
    Currently playing mystic-
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hey, here's an idea, why don't YOU run an international sweepstakes and figure out how expensive it would be to send even a small, inexpensive item to another country to someone who won there.

or are you just gonna keep pounding your keyboard with your chair and not listen to the actual good information that the forum mods are giving you?

And no company in recent memory has ever allowed sweepstakes to be legal in RI, that place is... Just stupid.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I would enjoy from one of the people complaining to place some links for some Sweepstakes that are FULLY International.

Because I don't know of any.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If i remember correctly International always meant Canada and the states...
    Very international, right?

Except that even that isn't true. Canadians are not eligible to play these contests either, and they don't celebrate our holidays in the game like they do the American holidays. It is, and always has been, PW US.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear
    ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

(hint: check the flag at the top of this page, it's mix of USA/UK).

hint: 3) the company's based in the States

further hint: 4) the time has come for you to get over yourself

Is this the first time you've ever noticed that as contests go, dealing with multiple countries rules and regulations has occasionally been decided to be more trouble than it's worth?

Perhaps you should get out more.

Or perhaps you believe that after a contest has already been started, you can make a company change it's policy after they've spent 6 months planning a contest by complaining in the "general" tab of a game support forum (instead if the nice, handy, *appropriate* Suggestion Box forum on the same screen?)

Good luck with that.

I'm sorry they didn't include your place of residence. I can't enter any contests in your country from here either. Perhaps I should write a letter to the editor.
  • karmelia
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Like someone else said before, they could very well have planned two contests

One for the eligibles US players for the physical prizes

A second one for all those excluded from the first, consisting of some ingame stuff.

But I guess imagination is not the best quality of the upper management staff of PWI...

• Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ohlookit'sthisthreadagain

American company = american servers = american time = american contests
    American company = european servers = european time =/= european contests

deal with it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    People like taking the name to literal. It's INTERNATIONAL to the Chinese version, which doesn't dictate specific locations this game is available too (or any of it's awards / other stuff).
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    World Series Championship in Baseball.

Hmmm, don't see many teams outside of US in that. Canada is lucky to have at least one.

It is just a US thing to make them sound like the best.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Like someone else said before, they could very well have planned two contests

One for the eligibles US players for the physical prizes

A second one for all those excluded from the first, consisting of some ingame stuff.

But I guess imagination is not the best quality of the upper management staff of PWI...

No they can't. It's not that simple. Every country has its own laws that regulate gambling and a sweepstakes, or contest that is a form of gambling or game of chance even is the prize was currency. It would be impractical for any company to attempt to satisfy the laws in every country's jurisdiction with a contest.

If you really want to see regulatory hell with it comes to international ventures look at the IRS.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • ZuziboX - Lost City
    ZuziboX - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    funny , Mods are quick to explain why pwi cant make these prizes a worldwide event, but arent even pulling for other countries to at least get a prize in game, because that i know for SURE is in their reach. Not only would everyone be understanding of the whole issue, but their would actually be a fairness to it. you guys can say what you want about the difficulties of it, fact is, there are alternatives, and the fact that you didnt explore them says that us other countries, mean nothing to you. Id like to see a zen reward sweepstakes for every country but america, and see how fast they change their tune about how the rest of us are complaining.
  • Devilspirits - Archosaur
    Devilspirits - Archosaur Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is there is very little issues shipping anything from the USA to Canada. Depending on where people are in Canada and the Sender in the USA it can be cheaper to ship an item then to send within the USA. I ship stuff to the US all the time. I don't argue that if PWI wants to keep prizes to the USA they are in the wrong. It's there business and they can do what they want. Just saying the reasoning is slightly flawed. The only thing is if a Canadian wins a sweepstakes we have to answer a skill testing question. PWI is a business and there is probably a lot more to why prizes are US only. Just saying
  • FerClaw - Heavens Tear
    FerClaw - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I actually don't care much for this kind of stuff. I know there are some nasty rules that makes shipping worldwide a hassle.

Still, the idea of having INGAME prizes is not bad. They should consider it and there are no laws (that I know of) from stopping them from doing this. It would make a lot of people happy.
  • Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver
    Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The name of the game is Perfect World internatinal so why the prizes only for USA.
    there is a place that ships overseas called a POST OFFICE .

Funny i can buy zen at the local shop in australia BUT you can not ship prize to here.
    b:angryb:angry

pull your heads out of your a**s

The perfect world ends at the USA borders but you love our $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$b:angryb:angry