What would you do?

Options
heartstabber123
heartstabber123 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
Hi, I have two situations I am confused what to do about.

Firstly, I was selling someone in game coins for paypal money, and they took the stuff and didn't pay.. Do I have any leg to stand on by going to the law?

Secondly, someone bought a pwi account for 600$, then traded that account with me, promising another $300 on top of the char, but they didn't pay, but I didn't mind with the acc trade. Now he says he has lost the account, and will go to the law unless I give him the account back.. What do I do?

I know it's a mess, and confusing but I'm worried, thanks for any help.
Post edited by heartstabber123 on

Comments

• Athelwynn - Heavens Tear
    Athelwynn - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hi, I have two situations I am confused what to do about.

Firstly, I was selling someone in game coins for paypal money, and they took the stuff and didn't pay.. Do I have any leg to stand on by going to the law?

Secondly, someone bought a pwi account for 600$, then traded that account with me, promising another $300 on top of the char, but they didn't pay, but I didn't mind with the acc trade. Now he says he has lost the account, and will go to the law unless I give him the account back.. What do I do?

I know it's a mess, and confusing but I'm worried, thanks for any help.

Sadly both situations are against ToS and can get you banned from the game.
  • ThaFister - Lost City
    ThaFister - Lost City Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    a lot of trolling going around on weekends when there is no mods or gm's around
  • ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide
    ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    account trading is not allowed and no one is obligated to do anything to help you or compensate you in anyway. Second, you don't have to give anything back if you already paid or w/e. The law cannot help him.
  • heartstabber123
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So if I reported the person's name and email to paypal or the law, would he be prosecuted for not paying me the money after taking my items? Or am I shafted for trusting him? Not too bothered about the prospect of being banned.

@ the second issue, if he went to the law, about the account trade, would I be in trouble?
    He paid someone rl money for an acc, traded that acc for one of mine and he can no longer access that acc (he had full email control etc so I have no idea how that happened). Would I be in trouble with the law? :/
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    You're screwed lol You could report him but that would get you banned too, since it's strictly forbidden to sell acoounts.

But ya, say goodbye to your money. Not like you don't deserve it for being that stupid and making such shady deals. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide
    ICasTBiDS - Raging Tide Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So if I reported the person's name and email to paypal or the law, would he be prosecuted for not paying me the money after taking my items? Or am I shafted for trusting him? Not too bothered about the prospect of being banned.

@ the second issue, if he went to the law, about the account trade, would I be in trouble?
    He paid someone rl money for an acc, traded that acc for one of mine and he can no longer access that acc (he had full email control etc so I have no idea how that happened). Would I be in trouble with the law? :/

No, if you contact paypal they may make a reversal with sufficient proof but when virtual trading, Paypal rarely makes reversals, about a 90% chance you will fail.
    They will not be in trouble with the law nor will you. The law is too busy to handle kid problems like this. Only ones that could pursue legal proceedings are PWE.
  • Xilplxim - Dreamweaver
    Xilplxim - Dreamweaver Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    all i have to say is:

DUMBASS!!!!b:victory
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    Ajiuo - Harshlands Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    No, if you contact paypal they may make a reversal with sufficient proof but when virtual trading, Paypal rarely makes reversals, about a 90% chance you will fail.
    They will not be in trouble with the law nor will you. The law is too busy to handle kid problems like this. Only ones that could pursue legal proceedings are PWE.

Basically this. There's no real "proof" and any small claims court is gonna laugh at you. Usually, the only way a trade could be honored is by having both parties present at a notory/court house and have an offical watch you both sign the agreement and have them sign and date when it happened. If that didn't happen, you're not really gonna make it in court with some screenshots and the other party's word or whatever "proof" you have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    ❝WHATIFTHESTORMENDSANDIDONTSEEYOU❞
  • heartstabber123
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Okay thanks.. I was just worried about any legal letters or anything that can be painted on my records/profiling for an incident on a game.. Lol :/

You know it's time to stop playing when pwi interferes with your real life xD
  • Ichimokusan - Sanctuary
    Ichimokusan - Sanctuary Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    You wouldn't have to worry about these issues if you abide by the ToS.
  • Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    he would have to prove it, so imo, neirther of you can prosecute the other (but eh, IANAL)

on the flip side, PWI could ban the bunch of ye for violating ToS....and then TALKING ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS.....which are A) moderated by PWI staff, and B) linked to your account.

There is already a built in way of trading RL money for coin (Gold Trading), so I have no clue why one would try to do otherwise.....unless they were planning to scam the coin seller, or were just plain stupid.

All in all, I find I have no sympathy for you. b:bye There is no cure for stupid.
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.
  • heartstabber123
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hmm well he says he can prove it with the paypal payment he made for the account initially.. Just don't wanna be prosecuted or some shet over pixels, yknow?

So there is no way I could be legally in trouble for in game to rl (or vice versa) transactions?
  • Vansloten - Lost City
    Vansloten - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I see this thread getting locked soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    PWI won't do anything except perhaps ban the accounts in question.

As with PayPal, if you paid for something and did not receive it, you can file a claim. If someone else paid you and had an account locked, they could file a claim against you. If you're determined to be in the right or wrong, PayPal can and will take money from the seller and return it to the purchaser if you're in the wrong. If you gave items and didn't receive a PayPal payment you're screwed as there was no PayPal transaction, so you would be left with filing a small claim in court.

As for illegal or unlawful activites, PayPal can just take the remainder of whatever is in any account and seize it.

You have very little recourse. "The law" won't do anything. It takes great effort for any agency to take action against online fraud. If there is no long standing history of repetitive illegal actions, no agency will pursue anything. There is not enough time for most agencies to deal with internet scams that don't deal with a lot of money or one-time instances.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Sirkura - Raging Tide
    Sirkura - Raging Tide Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    short answer no u probably won't be prosecuted over stuff like this nor can u really press charges on someone else. also u will most likely be banned when a gm see's this thread just a heads up.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    And this, boys and girls, is why buying/selling accounts is stupid.

It's not like leveling up your own is hard these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    and more chaper and safe and you keep the ingame name you want not some random moronic name.

like iseeyou or such names

anyways this thread getting closed soon
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    OP. You're screwed. You have nobody to blame but yourself. I'm going to be very blunt here.

If what you say is true then you violated the ToS. I wouldn't want you playing on the same server I do. If you did this - if you have a lacking in ethics and morals to cheat the game like this - You are also probably a scammer and I wouldn't want anyone to get involved with you and I hope you would be perma-banned.

I may sound harsh but it's **** like this that causes problems for the rest of us who are playing legitimately. Do yourself and us a favor and delete the game from your PC.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I see this thread getting locked soon.

Fuzzy envies your powers of clairvoyance! b:chuckle

-closed-
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
This discussion has been closed.