Adding HP Vs Adding Defense

GilgamCly - Raging Tide
GilgamCly - Raging Tide Posts: 42 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I am wondering about the difference between adding HP vs some defense to a character's stats. It seems everyone adds HP in there sockets to build up there resistance to damage, to stay alive. What is better more HP or more defense.

But I want to know what happens when an attack is made. What is the effect of physical defense and/or Magic defense against an attack, What happens? Does the defense absorb the attack, and how much, is there damage over flow and how much?

I would think it wou;d work like this;
Our Character has 1000 Physical defense and 3500 HP.
An attack by a mob deals 2500 hit points.
In straight theory 2500-1000= 1500 over flow damage reducing characters HP to 2000 (3500-1500)
But I realize it is probably more complicated than that. It could have factors that effect the efficiency of both the defense and the character's HP pool which would improve or deplete the effect of the attack. So many factors could effect the out come; like character's Class, Level, STR, DEX, VIT, MAG, each type and grade of equipment just to name a few.

If anyone has knowledge of how this work I really would like to know. I would like it better if adding defense was better than adding the HP because that is the way I would make it.
Is there a better way to do things or do I just keep adding all the HP I can get (which doesn't seem like a lot at higher levels anyway)?
Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
Post edited by GilgamCly - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I am wondering about the difference between adding HP vs some defense to a character's stats. It seems everyone adds HP in there sockets to build up there resistance to damage, to stay alive. What is better more HP or more defense.

But I want to know what happens when an attack is made. What is the effect of physical defense and/or Magic defense against an attack, What happens? Does the defense absorb the attack, and how much, is there damage over flow and how much?

In straight theory 2500-1000= 1500 over flow damage reducing characters HP to 2000 (3500-1500)
    But I realize it is probably more complicated than that. It could have factors that effect the efficiency of both the defense and the character's HP pool which would improve or deplete the effect of the attack. So many factors could effect the out come; like character's Class, Level, STR, DEX, VIT, MAG, each type and grade of equipment just to name a few.

If anyone has knowledge of how this work I really would like to know. I would like it better if adding defense was better than adding the HP because that is the way I would make it.
    Is there a better way to do things or do I just keep adding all the HP I can get (which doesn't seem like a lot at higher levels anyway)?

Everything you need is here.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Adding defense is only good if you already have low defense of that stat because of diminishing returns. i.e. The higher phys defense you have, the more phys defense you will need to add to raise the % damage reduction.

e.g. Physical defense shards are better on robe classes because they have really low phys defense already.

But at higher levels when you have high defenses of everything, it's probably better to add HP shards, because HP doesn't have any diminishing returns at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Aracnius - Dreamweaver
    Aracnius - Dreamweaver Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Everything you need is here.

yet pokemon equations ares till more complex...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:surrender
    -Waiting for the day they replace these stupid bear smilies with monkey ones
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Adding defense is only good if you already have low defense of that stat because of diminishing returns. i.e. The higher phys defense you have, the more phys defense you will need to add to raise the % damage reduction.

e.g. Physical defense shards are better on robe classes because they have really low phys defense already.

But at higher levels when you have high defenses of everything, it's probably better to add HP shards, because HP doesn't have any diminishing returns at all.

Defense and HP have the same linear returns
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Defense and HP have the same linear returns

....Technially they both have dimishing returns (% wise anyway), the pure amount they give is the same but % amount of increase to p def or hp max decreases with each additional point added, the difference being that on top of that the actually p def amount added also counts for less as well while the hp added always counts for the same, making sharding p/m def shards at high level nearly worthless.
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • MiniST - Sanctuary
    MiniST - Sanctuary Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    ....Technially they both have dimishing returns (% wise anyway), the pure amount they give is the same but % amount of increase to p def or hp max decreases with each additional point added, the difference being that on top of that the actually p def amount added also counts for less as well while the hp added always counts for the same, making sharding p/m def shards at high level nearly worthless.

when you add defense, there is a diminishing return relative to the % def, but in reality you have to take into account that it's the 1-%def that really matters since that's the portion of the damage you will take. The higher the defense, the smaller the returns for increased def in the %def part, but since you have a very small 1-%def, the relative increase in def is pretty much linear.
    edited February 2012

I can't tell why you think sharding pdef shards at high level is worthless... it's obviously not.
    Way too many people think sharding defense has diminishing returns while sharding HP does not.

They both have constant returns. Both are only diminishing in the sense you are comparing a constant value to an ever increasing base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I can't tell why you think sharding pdef shards at high level is worthless... it's obviously not.
    Way too many people think sharding defense has diminishing returns while sharding HP does not.

They both have constant returns. Both are only diminishing in the sense you are comparing a constant value to an ever increasing base.

That post is missing some mathematical proofs!
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    That post is missing some mathematical proofs!

I used to do that: I took a simple question, spend 30 minutes on the math, posted it and it ended up with people pretty much not giving a damn. And it was particularly annoying when unsuspecting noobs got caught by trolls who quoted me and went "Lol, wrong."
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    edited February 2012
    I used to do that: I took a simple question, spend 30 minutes on the math, posted it and it ended up with people pretty much not giving a damn. And it was particularly annoying when unsuspecting noobs got caught by trolls who quoted me and went "Lol, wrong."

I can't get my head around how defences are linear when the %reduction requires more defences as the %reduction goes up.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I can't get my head around how defences are linear when the %reduction requires more defences as the %reduction goes up.

Because 1% of a really freakin huge number is still better than 1% of a small level 10 number.

There was a nice graph somewhere, it boiled down to wanting a straight multiple of defence to hitpoints - prefer to increase whichever is lower.
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    edited February 2012
    Because 1% of a really freakin huge number is still better than 1% of a small level 10 number.

There was a nice graph somewhere, it boiled down to wanting a straight multiple of defence to hitpoints - prefer to increase whichever is lower.

I still don't get it. Surely that's against defences are linear? 1% off 10,000 damage is surely better than 1% off 5,000 damage assuming in the 2nd case you have 50% damage reduction due to existing defences only?
  • ITzDevious - Lost City
    ITzDevious - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Lots of derpin' going on. You guys need an archer OR that one cleric who knows these fancy numbers in which you seek.

I do not know them, I am a simple mud skipper. b:surrender
  • Evilsnare - Lost City
    Evilsnare - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Both are good but PDEF shards are better on Caster Classes because they lack PDef (talking about casters that use Arcane Armor) but a mix of HP and PDEF shards works out well. LA users are pretty balanced in terms of defence because they have average PDef and average MDef, but a mix of HP and PDef is also good because they have more MDef than PDef and (Assassins and Archers, there are LA venos with a lot of HP) they are squishy so they need HP. HA users lack MDef so a mix of HP and MDef shards work well.

As for endgame, I don't think you should put any HP shards because endgame gears are usually very highly refined which gives alot of HP already.

b:pleased

Plus there are many things that change the damage that mobs deal, for example, the more PDef you have, the less damage Physical Mobs will deal to you.
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    edited February 2012
    Both are good but PDEF shards are better on Caster Classes because they lack PDef (talking about casters that use Arcane Armor) but a mix of HP and PDEF shards works out well. LA users are pretty balanced in terms of defence because they have average PDef and average MDef, but a mix of HP and PDef is also good because they have more MDef than PDef and (Assassins and Archers, there are LA venos with a lot of HP) they are squishy so they need HP. HA users lack MDef so a mix of HP and MDef shards work well.

As for endgame, I don't think you should put any HP shards because endgame gears are usually very highly refined which gives alot of HP already.

b:pleased

Plus there are many things that change the damage that mobs deal, for example, the more PDef you have, the less damage Physical Mobs will deal to you.

I lol'd and realised either the poster is in 4x or a troll.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I still don't get it. Surely that's against defences are linear? 1% off 10,000 damage is surely better than 1% off 5,000 damage assuming in the 2nd case you have 50% damage reduction due to existing defences only?

See here.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    The simplest way i can think to demonstrate linear returns on defenses is

you need 50% to reduce phys damage taken by 1/2
    you need 75% to reduce phys damage taken by 3/4

while you need twice as much pdef to be 75 as you do 50%. the damage recieved is half as much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012

I used to argue the same as you're doing, I've given up because it's a losing argument. Technically, you get the same damage decrease adding 1000 pdef/mdef to a character with 1000 def or as you would to a char with 10000 def, so Asterelle is actually correct.

The reason why I argued that it was a diminishing return is because you can't just keep adding defenses however you want, it comes at a cost and at some point going higher than you are would cost more. So for a cost analysis, it's a diminishing return, but not for point statistics only.

The same is true with HP as well though. The cost of an Immaculate compared to a Vit stone, you're paying far more per point for a Vit stone than you are an Immaculate. So there is a diminishing return in cost.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited February 2012
    The simplest way i can think to demonstrate linear returns on defenses is

you need 50% to reduce phys damage taken by 1/2
    you need 75% to reduce phys damage taken by 3/4

while you need twice as much pdef to be 75 as you do 50%. the damage recieved is half as much.

This is close to correct but you actually need 3 times as much defense for 75% than as for 50%.

Suppose you have like 5000 hp and 0 pdef... you can take 5000 damage before you die.

4000 pdef gives you 50% reduction (an "increase of 50% from 0%")
    So at 5000 hp and 4000 pdef you can take 10000 damage before you die...
    - the 4000 additional pdef gave increase of 5000

8000 pdef gives you 66% reduction (an "increase of 16.6% from 50%")
    So at 5000 hp and 8000 pdef you can take 15000 damage before you die...

12000 pdef gives you 75% reduction (an "increase of 8.3% from 66%")
    So at 5000 hp and 12000 pdef you can take 20000 damage before you die...

You would have seen this same pattern by leaving pdef at 0 and adding chunks of 5000 hp.

Of course the smart thing to do is to increase both at the same time but they both give constant returns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i think you also need to look in to the main job your class will play. I've been playing a cleric for a while ( since start ). I started has a LA cleric. While every one told me it was fail, they were a bit surprise when they got in a fight whit me. Back then there was no sin and Lunar was the best gear. At LV 80 i could hold a 90 BM for 15 minute until 1 of us finally 3 spark crit the other. My LA build was +5 refine on HH80 gold. All my shard were HPG7 cause I had no point to put in vit for the requirement. If I had been AA and had wanted the same effect I would probably have put 50 to 70% of my shard in P def and the rest in HP. Giving me mostly the same build except for the damage output.

recently I have been building a veno to farm HH old style. Most experience Veno player suggested I use HP gem instead of P def. The job here being different, is that the veno need More HP to survive massive AOE form some boss. Witch probably deal magic AOE damage. ( I haven't done any playing on this yet. Making an educated guess from my cleric experience)

i would say the same goes for the barb, whit his vit build. were the true goal of the huge HP is to give other players time to help him survive. Has the Sin use blood paint to gain time over damage.

Deciding how your going to play your class is gonna influence the gem you need. My old cleric is now AA ( Because the game lack good LA gear for caster ). At 1st I went all HP and no P def but I soon found out it was not my style. So I started farming Gear whit P def attribute. At high level you have to chose an other important side for caster. Toughness vs Damage speed. Most gear are channel vs defense. if you ask a barb VIT build barb how much he likes his low M def, Caster will give you the same answer.

Unless you can afford end of game +12 refining And lol when normal people best spell remove only 25% or a lot less HP, I'm thinking you should try to find a balance for your style of playing.

IMO I favor HP gem over P def. But I do seek other ways to increase my P def. i think around LV 80 you could test the option at relatively low cost whit G7 shard. And decide what is best for your class and style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i think you also need to look in to the main job your class will play. I've been playing a cleric for a while ( since start ). I started has a LA cleric. While every one told me it was fail, they were a bit surprise when they got in a fight whit me. Back then there was no sin and Lunar was the best gear. At LV 80 i could hold a 90 BM for 15 minute until 1 of us finally 3 spark crit the other. My LA build was +5 refine on HH80 gold. All my shard were HPG7 cause I had no point to put in vit for the requirement. If I had been AA and had wanted the same effect I would probably have put 50 to 70% of my shard in P def and the rest in HP. Giving me mostly the same build except for the damage output.

LA was good back then. However, even the most prolific PvP LA Cleric that I knew of, Pharoah, he even restat to arcane when higher level shards became available. LA was a great choice when Beautiful shards were considered OP.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Ok, I'm gonna try to put this into the absolute simplest terms so that anyone can understand it, with the minimum amount of math possible.

Adding defense does not give diminishing returns.

Why is this so?

Each 1 additional point of P. def reduction ALWAYS reduces the damage you take by the SAME amount, for any given attack. If you subtract 100 from 1000, you get 900. If you subtract 100 from 101, you get 1. The 2nd example takes away a bigger chunk of the damage because the number is smaller.

P. def works in a similar way. Since each 1% of p. def subtracts the exact same damage as any other 1%, it will have a bigger effect on smaller numbers.

Put in another way...

Suppose you had 10,000 people in a stadium. If security removed 5 people, no one is likely to notice. But now suppose security repeated this procedure 1998 times. You now have 10 people. If security removed 5 more people, it would now be a LOT more noticeable.

P. def works in a similar way. Each 1% reduction is like security removing 5 people from the stadium and never letting them come back.

The smaller the number, the greater the effect 1% p. def will have on damage. If you have 98% p. def, that means security removed 5 people from the stadium 98 times, and the number you have is very, very small, and the effect is very, very large by comparison, because each 1% p. def reduces damage by the same, static amount for any single given damage number.

For this reason there are no "diminishing returns" on p. def, because the effect gets GREATER the more p def % reduction you have. PWI just balanced it out so that it gets harder to get that extra 1% as the effect becomes greater.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • GilgamCly - Raging Tide
    GilgamCly - Raging Tide Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Wow thanks for all the replies, i often wondered if anyone ever read my questions LOL
    There seems to be opinions about how Phys Def and HP actually works when those values increase and more is added but I get the basic idea. Also I would like to know where you get all the information to back up your claims and to do the math, not that I want to but it good to look at to make an estimate what will be the result.

Now, how does each compare during an actual attack? ie what is the resistance of Physi Def during an attack and what actual HP is effected by the remaining unchecked damage, is it 1 to 1 on the HP loss. An example for the sake of numbers; a Phys Def of 500 and HP of 5000 is hit with 1500 by a mob. Using a simple straight forward calculation with nothing extra what happens here? What damage is reduced by the Phys Def and what HP is loss?
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
  • Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Wow thanks for all the replies, i often wondered if anyone ever read my questions LOL
    There seems to be opinions about how Phys Def and HP actually works when those values increase and more is added but I get the basic idea. Also I would like to know where you get all the information to back up your claims and to do the math, not that I want to but it good to look at to make an estimate what will be the result.

Now, how does each compare during an actual attack? ie what is the resistance of Physi Def during an attack and what actual HP is effected by the remaining unchecked damage, is it 1 to 1 on the HP loss. An example for the sake of numbers; a Phys Def of 500 and HP of 5000 is hit with 1500 by a mob. Using a simple straight forward calculation with nothing extra what happens here? What damage is reduced by the Phys Def and what HP is loss?

Assuming lvl 100, 11% reduction and 1335 HP is lost.
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2012

Look, you need at least 6k hp, the squishier you are, this is the minimum you'll need at end-game.

Now, when it comes to HP vs Defenses, use Vitality stones, they add both b:avoid

EDIT:
    Now seriously, higher defense means your pots will be more effective, hence why EVERYONE uses Jades of Steady Defense.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited February 2012

Use Asterelle PWI Socket Calculator to calculate what you want.

Also don't forget, that damage reduction dependent from level of enemy (attacker level).
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    according to some calculations that ive run in the past on a cleric.. sharding X amount of g9 citrines gave the same effective health return approximately as sharding the same amount of g9 garnets (when referring to physical endurance only). On the other hand, garnets do nothing for magical defenses - whereas sharding fully with citrines provided better effective health overall - as is generally the case.

to answer your question though - Defense is Better than Raw HP. This can be seen in Jades of Steady Defense being used in a full set - and usually accompanied by a blessing and gear set bonuses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • ravenleandra
    ravenleandra Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    It's the same as asking a barb hp or mag rez....Altho u dont get a benifit from his hp buff the mag rez makes up for it mostl;y during instances with magic bosses.Learned my lesson back in the day with my old hp barb against wiz b:laugh

Just my thought.I prefer mag rez before hp makes his weakness his advandage b:victory
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    It's the same as asking a barb hp or mag rez....Altho u dont get a benifit from his hp buff the mag rez makes up for it mostl;y during instances with magic bosses.Learned my lesson back in the day with my old hp barb against wiz b:laugh

Just my thought.I prefer mag rez before hp makes his weakness his advandage b:victory

Barbarian has more than enough HP.

Caster, especially Wizard has not.

So, if you don't want to be killed by one hit, you must have some HP.

If you have some HP, you can increase defense.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Huh...

I had lots of vit on my Sin in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Indeed, the vit gave me a lot of HP in comparison to others of those levels, so I sharded for PDef.

Once I hit 100, I began to stat the vit points into Dex, and my defenses and HP dropped. Like, a lot. So instead, on my endgame gear, I sharded with vit shards, and now I have a lot of HP and somewhat good defenses.

So why not shard for both at the exact same time?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level