New Facebook Security measure

Stressedout - Dreamweaver
Stressedout - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
So I got an interesting prompt when attempting to claim a blessing just now...

When I attempted to login to my Facebook account to like PWI, I was told I needed to enter a phone number to verify my account. It also clearly reads the phone number can only be used to verify one account.

Well that kinda creates an issue, I live in a household where 3 people share one phone, and we all have Facebook accounts! (No I'm not about to use a cellphone number so I can receive even more annoying text ads that I must pay for)

When I submitted a support ticket to Facebook explaining the issue, they replied with something that really kind of blows my mind!

They actually asked me to copy my driver's license or passport and send that copy to the via e-mail........!

I don't know how familiar you may be with identity theft these days, but I can assure you this:

The last thing you want to do is copy personal information such as a driver's license and send it to anyone over e-mail! Especially not a social networking site that has had/does have security issues on a regular basis!

I guess I'll be playing without blessings in the near future unless they decide to change their newest policy b:surrender
frankieraye

Oh the snowmen are coming, don't you worry..
Post edited by Stressedout - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Eccii - Raging Tide
    Eccii - Raging Tide Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Works perfectly fine for me...
    Retired on Barb-
    Currently playing mystic-
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    If they really ask for such personal information, **** that shady website, it`s already enough that they allow to use your information and picture for a 3rd party website where anonymous people can comment, and mysterious comments have already appeared and they ask money to remove your picture and name an comments. Nothing more than blackmail, think that website was abouteveryone.com you can find it just by typing your name and surname in google.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Look around on the page man, you will find a small blue text that will let you skip over that bull****.

I have it all the time on the facebook alt account I made for blessings :>
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    There is an old thread on this: and to the above poster, there is no bypass for this on my new account. They are all closed excpet my old account which I wont use because from what other people say, when you like the PWI page, your account will get spammed with PWI adds and so will all your friends.

Other people have said they get new accounts banned too when they like PWI. I have a theory that Facebook checks all the PWI connected accounts and can easily see from lack of friends and lack of other legitimate traffic, which accounts have been set up, just to get the Jones blessing, so they close them.

No blessings for me for 2 months now......
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    No blessings for me either. I absolutely refuse to link my real Facebook account in any way to PWI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    You can just skip it, by clicking the little blue hyperlink next to the confirm button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    There is an old thread on this: and to the above poster, there is no bypass for this on my new account. They are all closed excpet my old account which I wont use because from what other people say, when you like the PWI page, your account will get spammed with PWI adds and so will all your friends.

Other people have said they get new accounts banned too when they like PWI. I have a theory that Facebook checks all the PWI connected accounts and can easily see from lack of friends and lack of other legitimate traffic, which accounts have been set up, just to get the Jones blessing, so they close them.

No blessings for me for 2 months now......

lol, dude I logged into that facebook acount just yesterday after over 5 months of not even logging it in xD.

It send me a "WELCOME BACK!" email to my google account XD!
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Stressedout - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2012
    You can just skip it, by clicking the little blue hyperlink next to the confirm button.

Afraid not. Perhaps that used to work, but there is no hyperlink there at all for me. Instead I get:

"Sorry!

Your account is currently unable to use Facebook Connect. For more information, please log in to www.facebook.com and follow the instructions you see there."

Attempting to login to Facebook without using Facebook Connect prompts me to enter a phone number, rinse & repeat post 1.....
    frankieraye

• TolanSky - Heavens Tear
    TolanSky - Heavens Tear Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    A.) How long has it been since you logged into Facebook with this account

B.) Have you ever logged into Facebook on this account using the computer you are currently attempting to log into from (I will occasionally be asked to enter a phone number or other form of password verification if trying to log into Facebook from an unknown location).

C.) Have you forgotten your password (I almost always will be asked for a form of password verification if I have forgotten my password and enter a wrong password enough times, this password verification will usually end up auto-logging me into my account once used and allowing me to reset my original password).

If none of the above appears to apply to you I don't know what to tell you, because I just checked and none of what you are describing appears to be affecting me. Of course I don't use an alternate facebook account for the sole purpose of obtaining jones or o'malley's blessings.
    Acc 1: TolanSky ~ ● Seeker / Daearena ~ Mystic / ThornLily ~ Veno
    Acc 2: Veilana ~ Sin / QueenBlubrry ~ Cleric / Lemondrop ~ Psychic
    edited January 2012
    A.) How long has it been since you logged into Facebook with this account

B.) Have you ever logged into Facebook on this account using the computer you are currently attempting to log into from (I will occasionally be asked to enter a phone number or other form of password verification if trying to log into Facebook from an unknown location).

C.) Have you forgotten your password (I almost always will be asked for a form of password verification if I have forgotten my password and enter a wrong password enough times, this password verification will usually end up auto-logging me into my account once used and allowing me to reset my original password).

If none of the above appears to apply to you I don't know what to tell you, because I just checked and none of what you are describing appears to be affecting me. Of course I don't use an alternate facebook account for the sole purpose of obtaining jones or o'malley's blessings.

A:about 3 days

B:yes, same computer I usually use.

C: no, I'm quite positive I know my password and it's correct.

Other notes of interest:

The Facebook account has been active basically ever since Facebook was first becoming popular (back when people still used Myspace:P )

Account has several real friends linked to it and has always been used for purposes other than collecting blessings for PWI.

Account has no photo displayed, and does not disclose any personal info. My friends know what the need to about me, why display it for everyone else to see?

I typically claim blessings for my 3 most active characters using that account, and do not spam multiple accounts to claim blessings. However my GF also claims blessings from her account using her computer, but lives at the same address.

Do with it what you will. Just another typical example of people being paid to make ridiculous decisions. I really need to forge a degree and see if I can get hired for one of these positions, can't possibly do any worse....
    frankieraye

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    To those who have had their alt accounts closed...

Do you often log into your real Facebook account regularly?

They could be doing something as simple as IP flagging for multiple accounts to determine if you need to enter a phone number.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Mark Zuckerberg got banned for putting EG hair on his veno, so he is raging against PWI.

TBH, I have an alt FB acct just for blessings and have had no probs this far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oxytorch
    oxytorch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Reading this thread reminded me that i need to make a facebook to get blessings that I've been meaning to for ages. It will not let me continue untill I enter a phone number.. which I WILL NOT DO !! There is no way to get past it as the OP said . So I guess no blessings for me .

It seems like this phone number thing on facebook is a new implement , and I trust it wont last long when people start complaining, so I will just wait till it is removed .
    b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry We love this game STOP RUINING IT !! b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry

"Sometimes the strongest are the ones that walk away . Enough is Enough ".
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    oxytorch wrote: »
    Reading this thread reminded me that i need to make a facebook to get blessings that I've been meaning to for ages. It will not let me continue untill I enter a phone number.. which I WILL NOT DO !! There is no way to get past it as the OP said . So I guess no blessings for me .

It seems like this phone number thing on facebook is a new implement , and I trust it wont last long when people start complaining, so I will just wait till it is removed .

Just faceroll your numpad.

Facebook gonna get a lot of fake phone numbers...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited January 2012

Only problem with that is they actually call or text you to give you a code to unlock your Facebook account, so yeah...........
    frankieraye

edited January 2012
    Only problem with that is they actually call or text you to give you a code to unlock your Facebook account, so yeah...........

Heh... Sounds like you won't be making a new fakebook then.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • oxytorch
    edited January 2012

I would but would probably end up with an ip ban or something if they check . I assume there is an ulterior motive for wanting your phone number such as for call centres and annoying text messages trying to sell you stuff . I'll submitt a complaint to Facebook and see what happens if enough people do it might change ( if it's not run like PWI that is lol )

EDIT: ninja'd . Ahh they do verify?
    b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry We love this game STOP RUINING IT !! b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry

edited January 2012
    Funny thing... I use a phone at work only. That is, I don't have a phone at home. No cell right now.

So, I guess i couldn't get fakebook if I wanted to...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Would it be possible to use a skype account to bypass the phone thing? I'm not having any troubles but I see other's are. I know I use skype to handle all my phone calls from home since my cell gets poor service and i don't have a landline. Just a thought.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    edited January 2012
    Would it be possible to use a skype account to bypass the phone thing? I'm not having any troubles but I see other's are. I know I use skype to handle all my phone calls from home since my cell gets poor service and i don't have a landline. Just a thought.

Honestly, having a blessing just isn't worth that much of a freaking hassle. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2012
    Honestly, having a blessing just isn't worth that much of a freaking hassle. b:surrender

What hassle? lol. Everybody I know has a skype-in phone number. Just use it instead of your cell number.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    edited January 2012
    What hassle? lol. Everybody I know has a skype-in phone number. Just use it instead of your cell number.

But.... I don't use skype. No need for it, no desire to use it. b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oxytorch
    edited January 2012
    I have skype but just use it for free pc to pc calls , I don't think it has a phone number , tho I will go check now . That is a great idea.

EDIT: Had a look and you can get a skype phone number for a subscription fee.
    Not gona bother with blessings

• ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I have the same issue on some facebook accounts, others which I also use purely for jones work perfectly fine. But I just make a fresh facebook account every time I need a blessing. Their problem whether they prefer one inactive facebook account occasionally getting a blessing or a new one every week.

I just think it's rediculous that they force you to get a facebook account in order to get a jones blessing...
  • Nenor - Dreamweaver
    Nenor - Dreamweaver Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Looks like there is alot of people having the same "blocked from FB" issue I am. Main account blocked, 2 alt accounts blocked, and soon as i try to make a fresh one, demands a cell #. Yea im not sending in a picture ID with all my personal info either.

Hey Frankie, how about another option for getting the blessing since this seems to be a growing issue? Say possibly, on the DQ reward page?b:thanks
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Looks like there is alot of people having the same "blocked from FB" issue I am. Main account blocked, 2 alt accounts blocked,

That does sound like they're IP flagging accounts.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Elementous - Momaganon
    Elementous - Momaganon Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    A few weeks back I had this phone number request show up on my facebook. I just closed the page and next time I went to use it (the following day or two) there was no number request and I haven't had one since.

That's with my main facebook account - they already blocked the alt one that I had for games :P
    edited January 2012
    But.... I don't use skype. No need for it, no desire to use it. b:shutup

Ah, I'm so used to everyone i know having Skype already. Of course if you don't have it/use it then yes it would be a hassle.
    oxytorch wrote: »
    I have skype but just use it for free pc to pc calls , I don't think it has a phone number , tho I will go check now . That is a great idea.

EDIT: Had a look and you can get a skype phone number for a subscription fee.
    Not gona bother with blessings

I got my phone number on Skype about 5 years ago for free, I did not realize they were charging a sub fee for it now. Guess they got smarter.
    edited January 2012
    Well still can't log in to my main account, but it's allowing me to create fake accounts today lmao!

Let the influx of fake e-mails & FB accounts commence!
    frankieraye