Will PWE Support S.O.P.A?

Mistbelle - Sanctuary
Mistbelle - Sanctuary Posts: 127 Arc User
edited January 2012 in Off-Topic Discussion

The Stop Online Piracy Act will be on the table on January 24, and many of the world's most-visited websites are staging a protest. SOPA would allow copyright holders to seek court orders against websites accused of facilitating copyright infringement -- which, in layman's terms, means that if you upload something to YouTube that you don't own the copyright to, YouTube could be shut down. You could also land in jail for up to 5 years.

The vague language in the act could put many top websites in jeopardy and, essentially, change the internet as we know it. If you've ever tweeted a photo that you didn't take, or made a graphic for your Tumblr, or owned a fansite, or posted quotes, or used music that you didn't compose for a video... you'd be a target.

Many consider the bill to be a form of censorship, similar to the way the China has blocked certain content from being accessed via internet. Now, major sites like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Amazon, Ebay, Wikipedia,Yahoo, Paypal, and more are planning to completely black out their services on January 23, instead displaying a message urging users to contact their reps and speak out against SOPA.

Companies that support S.O.P.A (LOL PWE).

I dunno. Just found it interesting. Thoughts? b:surrender
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Mistbelle - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    So pwe doesn't want youtube and facebook and anything that allows free user content.

No big surprise there.

I bet they're being told by Wanmei to support SOPA so that both companies can have player audiences living under heavy internet censorship. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kruze999
    kruze999 Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    What? i didnt know that pwi supports SOPA thats it,i did play pwi few times a week but now... thats it, this is too much.. im thinking that all pwe staff is **** members.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    ESA membership does not guarantee SOPA support.

I was reading about this just this morning, and according to this it appears that several ESA members are against SOPA (as well they should be) and most others haven't responded yet. PWE is among those who have yet to respond.

So if anything, we should be pressuring them to respond with a disapproval of SOPA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Interesting.
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    WTF? Ok... From this day on the little respect I still had for PWE is tottaly gone... Wich person capable of using their brains would even suport a cencoring rule like that? Even talking about copyrighted stuff can get you in trouble if this goes on... Company's will sell even less stuff cause ppl will never know of the existance of what's new... And the internet as we know and like it will be gona forever...

Edit: Just read Miu's post... Plz tell me PWE isn't suporting this **** bill... b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    New World Order, coming to you on teh internets b:surrender
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    ESA membership does not guarantee SOPA support.

I was reading about this just this morning, and according to this it appears that several ESA members are against SOPA (as well they should be) and most others haven't responded yet. PWE is among those who have yet to respond.

So if anything, we should be pressuring them to respond with a disapproval of SOPA.

Knowing PWE, they won't respond. That would take effort.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Yay, Drama
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    edited January 2012

They'll probably be the only one in the end to end up with an "unable to contact" status...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Yay, Drama

Valid drama tho.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Well now that I think of it, if they did respond, they'd probably respond in support of SOPA as per the "chinese parent company" argument someone mentioned. So, on balance, it's probably best that they don't respond anyway. >_>

And to me that seems like the most likely scenario, too. I mean, I almost made a thread about it this morning but then I realized it was kind of a lose/lose scenario.

I just have to say that I hate this thread's title. It's just patently untrue, and you guys really need to stop taking anything anyone says at face value. Do your own research, guys.
    Again: ESA membership =/= SOPA support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Title changed to reflect an accurate take on the situation.

Moved to Off Topic.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited January 2012

''Search Results
    Your search for S.O.P.A. did not return any matches (482 documents were searched):

No documents were found.''

Sure, they are against piracy, but not even once is the S.O.P.A. mentioned on that site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    SOPA is an evil corporate grab by the music industry and nothing more. Hopefully PWE doesn't support this bill....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I can't judge on the outcome but I don't think SOPA will succeed. At least that's what I hope. Because many people are against it. I think it may cause an even bigger disaster.

You see, I'm one of those people that would rather check out on something before buying (read a manga before buying, listen to an album, watch a movie) because I don't like buying something only to find out it's useless/not worth later.
    This will only cause lower sales in my opinion because as far as I am concerned I won't spend a cent on something I can't check out first and I bet I'm not the only one who feels that.

And not everybody lives in the capital of the world, you know. Not every city has everything and thus not everything is available for everyone in real life (as in certain mangas or music albums etc. cannot be found in x city but only online).

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • HadesHound - Raging Tide
    HadesHound - Raging Tide Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I could see SOPA killing PWI rather quickly. There is a certain other game which shall never be mentioned that would probably claim PWI is a carbon copy, and that PWI stole a lot of profit from them by making a game so similar.

It's rediculous, to be honest, and scary too just how far reaching this crapola can be. I pray that its stopped cold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's not the years that matter, it's the milage that has true meaning. Do not spend your life trying to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Walk the best path you can, and enjoy that journey.
    And ladies... Save a cowboy, ride a brony!
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    New World Order, coming to you on teh internets b:surrender

We're all gunna dieeee. Internet withdrawal doom. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godofmadnes
    godofmadnes Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2012
  • godofmadnes
    godofmadnes Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2012
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Please don't make duplicate posts.
  • ZackMystic - Harshlands
    ZackMystic - Harshlands Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Learnin about it and posting it a little late arent ya???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    78 Mystic ZackMystic
    95 BM ZackBlade
    Retired in March 2012, thx DarkNova for the fun.
    Exiirah made this purely awesome signature b:pleased Many thanks to her
    edited January 2012
    Wiki: List of organizations that support SOPA... PWE is not on that list... Haven't bin on it either... So I don't think they're suporters of this... b:victory Now let's just hope for the best...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    This is getting serious b:surrender
    Wikipedia blackout, everyone talking about this... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Wolfssohn - Sanctuary
    Wolfssohn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,535 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Wiki: List of organizations that support SOPA... PWE is not on that list... Haven't bin on it either... So I don't think they're suporters of this... b:victory Now let's just hope for the best...

Well...if the link on the first page is correct, then PWE is a member of ESA (entertainment software association)...
    The ESA is actually on that wiki list...so...ya can't just say "PWE isn't on that list..."
    No idea if PWE supports it or not, but don't really care either...
  • Clairvoyantt - Dreamweaver
    Clairvoyantt - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Another video that explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjrPuYLAIkk

A lot of major companies that we know of are located in the U.S. and will be subject to these bills.

A local example would be for all those that make PWI videos with songs in them, as this will most likely affect them too. There is a potential 5 year sentence to stream a copyrighted work that would cost more than $2,500 to license, even if you are a totally noncommercial user.

Links to help fight against the bill:

http://www.fightforthefuture.org/pipa
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/
    https://donate.mozilla.org/page/s/SOPA?source=sopa_page
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/12/write-congress-about-sopa/
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/12/1044534/-ACTION:-Call-Congress-to-stop-SOPA
    edited January 2012
    I think this bill got rejected... Cause sites I hang out on are now openly discussing this... Even the admins where against it (they censored the entire site the whole day yesterday just to show us with this bill could do)... But it's over now... And another small fact... It apeared that the SOPA site itself was using a copyrighted image... b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lynzeya - Dreamweaver
    Lynzeya - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I'm writing a little blog on my opinion now, will post link in about 15 minutes

EDIT: Its here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vixter - harshlands:
    hey, i got a good idea, lets complain about gas prices, since thats also something we have no control over!

<3 proud to be autistic! /watch?v=Q7lJ8ioD2-g Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I think this bill got rejected... Cause sites I hang out on are now openly discussing this... Even the admins where against it (they censored the entire site the whole day yesterday just to show us with this bill could do)... But it's over now... And another small fact... It apeared that the SOPA site itself was using a copyrighted image... b:laugh

Nope. The vote on it was postponed until February. However, PIPA is still going up for vote in a few days. Make sure you contact your state Senators to tell them to oppose this other bit of inanity.

Internet freedom will not be protected until both of these bills are defeated.b:surrender
    edited January 2012
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Nope. The vote on it was postponed until February. However, PIPA is still going up for vote in a few days. Make sure you contact your state Senators to tell them to oppose this other bit of inanity.

Internet freedom will not be protected until both of these bills are defeated.b:surrender

I almost forgot about that one... Although I don't think that one will pass now... Broblem is that those contacts require your psysical information... So I can't realy participate in that... Gaia however is holding activities and education about this so I'll just protest along there... We even got these "anti-SOPA signs" for our avi's aside from censoring the entire site yesterday for a whole day... b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]