Can you find True Love on a game?

Comments

• Finrah - Sanctuary
    Finrah - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    So many people are in these "online" relationships. I wonder if it can be just as good as the real thing or if its true that people pretend to be everything you want only to find out later they're the complete opposite. b:surrender

I'm not at all sure if its better or worser than a real life relationship, because I never had a real life relationship due to the fact that I barely see guys, and when I do meet guys they are all sissy and not my type lol

I fell in love deeply twice through PWI, one being my first love and the other being my last. Didn't expect it to go this far to begin with, didn't even expect it would be him or it would ever work, but through time you will get to know someone, then you'd step the extra mile to talk to them with voice via Skype, then do webcam calls on a daily basis when you get comfortable.

Usually from what I see and hear from my friends, real life relationships often jump right into the bed or close up intimacy. Being apart would not allow that to happen but actually grow a relationship through dedication, trust, communication and loyalty. The core need of a relationship can bloom and progress without being together in real life. Once you hit that point where you both can meet up in real life, you should already feel comfortable and know this person well, and imo even more stable n strong because for what both of you build up over time online, which is honestly, a test.

PS> Don't judge or be influenced by others that haven't been in one, because they don't know jack :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I was just curious because it seems so odd how much drama an online relationship can have...You really never know who you're really dealing with. The people you meet online will probably not be the kind of person you would associate with irl. So why bother trying to go the distance to get heartbroken when it really wont be worth it in the end? Well...I guess in a way it make the game more interesting. Just cause more drama than any game should imo. lol

lol you make it seem like you are choosing a mate/boyfriend/companion by random xD it is all a choice, the people you surround yourself with is a choice (real life and internet)
    drama is a choice...
    how you handle things is a choice

you are either young or never had a relationship before i am guessing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solar_one - Sanctuary
    Solar_one - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2011

Usually from what I see and hear from my friends, real life relationships often jump right into the bed or close up intimacy. Being apart would not allow that to happen but actually grow a relationship through dedication, trust, communication and loyalty. The core need of a relationship can bloom and progress without being together in real life. Once you hit that point where you both can meet up in real life, you should already feel comfortable and know this person well, and imo even more stable n strong because for what both of you build up over time online, which is honestly, a test.

+ 100

My wife and I are a great testament to this very fact
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I was just curious because it seems so odd how much drama an online relationship can have...You really never know who you're really dealing with. The people you meet online will probably not be the kind of person you would associate with irl. So why bother trying to go the distance to get heartbroken when it really wont be worth it in the end? Well...I guess in a way it make the game more interesting. Just cause more drama than any game should imo. lol

^^ That part in red applies to "meeting" and "getting to know" other people in a real life relation prospect as well.

Before i met solar i has been in a 2 year relationship with someone who i thought was the world! I thought i was going to grow old with this guy, i had even decided to chance my lifestyle to his and not eat meat anymore.

eventually -he- bought a house, i was the one painting everything, yet got told off for not doing a good enough job. In the end of it all, -all- of my belongings were stuffed into a hallway closet and never saw daylight again. He wanted me to make dinner every night so that when he got home it would be ready. he even asked me to make his lunches when he'd go to work.
    Simply asking him to do a chore would take begging and pleading and even -then- 9 out of 10 times he'd say "i'll do it in a minute" and never do it.

Every day was the same, he'd come home from work. have dinner, grab a beer and watch movies on the couch. nearly fall asleep on the couch while doing so, then go to bed and expected me to drop eveything i was going and go to bed with him.

intimacy consisted of 2 kisses a day, when he left for work, got home and when we went to bed.

^^ all of that was a 100% different before we decided to buy a house and make it a lifelong commitment instead of "boyfriend and girlfriend".
    As much as i thought i knew this guy as soon as he got what he wanted he dropped the positive attitude he had, as if he didn't have to work for this relationship anymore.

What people often forget where relationship in general are concerned, no matter the circomstances and no matter the distance it takes work. communication and above all respect and trust.
    No matter how close you live or how much you may think you have in common if your not on the same wavelength and communicational ladder as your other half, the chance of succes is nihil, slim at best.

When there were no computers, no phones no digital media people would meet and fall in love through whiting letters.
    that is concidered romantic now a days yet computers and internet are filled with devilish people ?

No. Humanity is filled with devilish traits. nothing changed but the attitude and approach.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    X_Rays - Sanctuary Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    ^^ That part in red applies to "meeting" and "getting to know" other people in a real life relation prospect as well.

Before i met solar i has been in a 2 year relationship with someone who i thought was the world! I thought i was going to grow old with this guy, i had even decided to chance my lifestyle to his and not eat meat anymore.

eventually -he- bought a house, i was the one painting everything, yet got told off for not doing a good enough job. In the end of it all, -all- of my belongings were stuffed into a hallway closet and never saw daylight again. He wanted me to make dinner every night so that when he got home it would be ready. he even asked me to make his lunches when he'd go to work.
    Simply asking him to do a chore would take begging and pleading and even -then- 9 out of 10 times he'd say "i'll do it in a minute" and never do it.

Every day was the same, he'd come home from work. have dinner, grab a beer and watch movies on the couch. nearly fall asleep on the couch while doing so, then go to bed and expected me to drop eveything i was going and go to bed with him.

intimacy consisted of 2 kisses a day, when he left for work, got home and when we went to bed.

^^ all of that was a 100% different before we decided to buy a house and make it a lifelong commitment instead of "boyfriend and girlfriend".
    As much as i thought i knew this guy as soon as he got what he wanted he dropped the positive attitude he had, as if he didn't have to work for this relationship anymore.

What people often forget where relationship in general are concerned, no matter the circomstances and no matter the distance it takes work. communication and above all respect and trust.
    No matter how close you live or how much you may think you have in common if your not on the same wavelength and communicational ladder as your other half, the chance of succes is nihil, slim at best.

When there were no computers, no phones no digital media people would meet and fall in love through whiting letters.
    that is concidered romantic now a days yet computers and internet are filled with devilish people ?

No. Humanity is filled with devilish traits. nothing changed but the attitude and approach.

+1 well said.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    b:cute
    It's possible, but, you're going to have to pull a lot of weeds to grow a healthy flower, so to speak. Long Distance Relations are tough, in my experience, but they can work. I went through a really bad one before finding a really good one, here are some of the things people told me when I was going through the bad one... Not saying these are 100% but in my case they were all major signs I should have noticed but was too in love to identify.

Signs the person you are with/you are not mature enough for LDR:

♥ Asking you to visit NOW every other day or so, even though you say you will during break.
    ♥ Frequent arguments over small misunderstandings ("You don't send me smiley faces like you used to!")
    ♥ Frequent requests for pictures when they already have many of yours. Especially nudes.
    ♥ Following you in game in any way shape or form (showing lack of trust).
    ♥ Either partner has a real life gf/bf/crush/straying eyes.
    ♥ Your partner gossips about every fight you have, telling others how awful you are.
    ♥ You've been in a LOT of LDRs, this is a sign that something may not be working for you.
    ♥ Especially in PWI, a high amount of dependence is unhealthy. (The "WE MUST DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER" couple, you all know one.)
    ♥ You never plan to actually meet the person, or eventually relocate for the person.
    ♥ Jealousy is sourced in mistrust, so signs that your partner does not trust you with players of the opposite sex are bad.

For me it seems like most PWI relationships work in overdrive. People meet, decide they want to be "together", get married, spend 24/7 with each other for a month or so, then fall out of love. What worked for me was being friends for a long time before taking the step into a relationship.

Good luck~
    hahaha omg you are so right :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • XxStormy - Harshlands
    XxStormy - Harshlands Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Almost two years ago I joined Omerta. The leader and I hit it off instantly. I fell in love woith him. We finally met 2 weeks ago.we spent a week together and it was amazing.b:thanks I love him with all my heart and we plan to get together again soonb:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Med0lin I am still curi0us ab0ut y0ur sig btw.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • PixieCharm - Dreamweaver
    PixieCharm - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    ofc its possible, anything is possible with time and where two people both want to work towards building a life together... BUT as one other poster pointed out in game time is like living life on fast forward and as another said so much is fantasy (including relationships for many)... as such you so often get these jump in jump out scenarios, the insta lets be together scenarios, the ppl who immediately call you hun baby darlin etc and u just met them killing krix for them, the lonely ppl who want to buy you everything in return for company, the game ho's who jump from toon to toon for the thrill it gives em and the fantasy life it affords, the lurkers who wanna cyber with you, be your slave, wanna tell you how HUGE their bits are, tell you how hawt you are (like ummm errr sure these pixels are ok...) etc etc... and then on some fleeting occassions if the moons align or it is ur fate or God wills it (pick whichever you believe in) you meet someone who over time you realise is an amazing person, who you wake up thinking about and go to bed dreaming about, who enriches your life on so many levels you didnt even realise it was possible, who makes you shine every single day... and my friends even if you do meet such a person it is still highly possible that all the will and best intentions and determination in the world cannot overcome the many obstacles to taking what is a beautiful and true relationship out of the online world into real life... embrace your friendships in game, cherish the real ones and enjoy what they bring to your life but don't ever imagine that life in game is anything more than heightened fantasy for the majority of players... it is completely up to you if you want to make the effort and take the time to peel away the fantasy and find the real people who sit behind the perfect toons we make of ourselves. stay shiney now ya'll <3
  • Massad - Harshlands
    Massad - Harshlands Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I just made a comment about this in wc to the likes of

"Why are you even looking for a relationship in a video game"

To which I get a pm from a girl.
    "What we can't have fun while we play
    Massad: That is just creepy on so many lvls
    Girl: Its fun to fool around

Downside is her toons name actually matches a rl ex's name b:shocked

Now for the stories....

I have been gaming for many years now. I started on another game where I was young and niave. I helped out alot of people I came across.. One of those people I helped in that game later on turned into a relationship with me (real life). But not before she had one in game with a guy from another country. This guy played nice and treated her well then married her because (what we discovered later) she was on the rankings board for being wealthiest on the server.... And then he tried to play mister controlling while on the game... Even went so far as finding out her cell phone number in the states and calling her from India asking where she was and what she was doing.... (Did not help the situation that I answered the phone) Note the guy was in his 50's and she was 20 at the time... Yea thats not creepy at all. Once she got clear of that guy another one stepped up and claimed her... This time from Romania and tried much of the same thing however this time she did not marry this person.

Our relationship ended after much fighting and arguing over the simple fact that I wanted all this to stop (same as she did). We had tried to keep our relationship a secret just because of the way game community was and how well known we both were in that game. I had my way of settling it while she wanted to be nice and polite about it... I wanted to light the proverbial fires and go to war. In the end we both went our seperate ways to other games but it was a lesson in just how sad some of the guys on these games can be.

Now skip ahead to more recent times... A little older and a little longer in the teeth. I have a friend that I play with now on pwi. She got involved with someone on the game and even had plans of meeting that person. However, again he was extremely controlling and demanding over her and her actions in the game... If she spent time out of sz with other people he would pop out of stealth and kill them... She was not allowed to play like she wanted to If she wanted to sit archo and chit chat people and friends he would get angry and from what I was told call her and start yelling at her. She was not allowed to do certain things in her life like she wanted to. She told me that if she said she was going with friends for the night he would get upset. Only what he said goes... So she divorced him.... But not before expressing her fear of what he was going to do to her in game and out. She was worried that in game he would hover over her (as he did while they were together if someone made a comment or hit on her he would pop out of stealth) and not let her leave sz. She was concerned that he was going to be abusive and he knew where she lived and could reach her very easily... Apparenly living less than an hour away.

Anyways there are some holes in the story I know... I am trying to tell it without giving to much away... But my point being is that you have to be careful with the people in these games...

Yes there are good people here and functioning members of society that have done well for themselves and even met others to live happy long fulfilling lives together...

But Also there are people here who are lonely, sociopathic, desperate, and just down right crazy and creepy. Honestly if you want to meet someone this should be the last place you look.... Scratch that you shouldn't be looking just let things happen naturally... And if you get a red flag.... RUN!!!!b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Other names include but not limited to LOKl_ _ClRCE_, _AnGeal_
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    But... I love the hot people online... right baby?
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    But... I love the hot people online... right baby?

Yes my darling, oh yes indeed b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Man - Raging Tide
    Man - Raging Tide Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    2 Ppl in my faction "Cupcake from Victoria TX" and "Ben from Isreal" got together irl and got married. They are happy and together last i heard ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Meeka - Lothranis
    Meeka - Lothranis Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Hey all,

i found my real love in PWI about 2 years ago on sanctuary server. We got to know each other well and i moved to him. Since august 2010 we live together and we are going to marry the coming year. So yea it can exist like in any other internet relation.

Thanks PWI for letting me find my true love xD
  • JSXJoe - Sanctuary
    JSXJoe - Sanctuary Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    TBH, and I'm 100% honest. I met the girl of my dreams right here in PWI, sure not PWI alone, skype helped alot...Yeah she got loads of trouble that time of her live and started playing PWI because it somehow relaxed her after work...We started chatting, got to know each other better and then we started out with our first date. That was for about 1 year and 8 Months and we live together since 6 months and yeah, it is great so far. Our relationship has nothing to do with this game anymore so you could say that, if we had met us somewhere else then we would prolly be a couple as well xD

But its a matter of fact that our relationship started right here in this game but there are too many freaked out guys around here so finding someone special in PWI became nearly impossible, imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am really honered, ty b:victory

My Chars:
    101 Demon Blademaster. 101 Demon Barbarian,
    100 Sage Seeker, 100 Sage Cleric, 100 Demon Assassin,
    101 Demon Cleric, 93 Demon Archer, 101 Sage Venomancer,
    89 Demon Psychic, 100 Sage Mystic, 100 Demon Wizard
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    ofc its possible, anything is possible with time and where two people both want to work towards building a life together... BUT as one other poster pointed out in game time is like living life on fast forward and as another said so much is fantasy (including relationships for many)... as such you so often get these jump in jump out scenarios, the insta lets be together scenarios, the ppl who immediately call you hun baby darlin etc and u just met them killing krix for them, the lonely ppl who want to buy you everything in return for company, the game ho's who jump from toon to toon for the thrill it gives em and the fantasy life it affords, the lurkers who wanna cyber with you, be your slave, wanna tell you how HUGE their bits are, tell you how hawt you are (like ummm errr sure these pixels are ok...) etc etc... and then on some fleeting occassions if the moons align or it is ur fate or God wills it (pick whichever you believe in) you meet someone who over time you realise is an amazing person, who you wake up thinking about and go to bed dreaming about, who enriches your life on so many levels you didnt even realise it was possible, who makes you shine every single day... and my friends even if you do meet such a person it is still highly possible that all the will and best intentions and determination in the world cannot overcome the many obstacles to taking what is a beautiful and true relationship out of the online world into real life... embrace your friendships in game, cherish the real ones and enjoy what they bring to your life but don't ever imagine that life in game is anything more than heightened fantasy for the majority of players... it is completely up to you if you want to make the effort and take the time to peel away the fantasy and find the real people who sit behind the perfect toons we make of ourselves. stay shiney now ya'll <3
    been a while since i seen a huge chunk of non spaced/punctuated block of text. Lost myself half way so just hit reply b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Massad - Harshlands
    Massad - Harshlands Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    TBH, and I'm 100% honest. I met the girl of my dreams right here in PWI, sure not PWI alone, skype helped alot...Yeah she got loads of trouble that time of her live and started playing PWI because it somehow relaxed her after work...We started chatting, got to know each other better and then we started out with our first date. That was for about 1 year and 8 Months and we live together since 6 months and yeah, it is great so far. Our relationship has nothing to do with this game anymore so you could say that, if we had met us somewhere else then we would prolly be a couple as well xD

But its a matter of fact that our relationship started right here in this game but there are too many freaked out guys around here so finding someone special in PWI became nearly impossible, imo.

I met the girl of my dreams on pwi to.... I just never talk to her or bother her lol

Massage therapist, bachelors degree, pole dancerb:dirty

I doubted this until I saw her facebook page and spoke with her

Seriously thats the girl of my dreams and I don't even try to say hi half the timeb:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Other names include but not limited to LOKl_ _ClRCE_, _AnGeal_
  • Aurelliya - Heavens Tear
    Aurelliya - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Some people do find love in game, they meet... talk... grow close... and fall in love. It's not amazingly common, but it happens. The thing is, unless you actually have some way to meet the other person someday, it will fall apart. It's best to just avoid the whole situation unless you know what you have is real and you can meet up some day.

Just my two cents.

This is very well said. I have been fornunate, and unforunate to have found somone that I thought I could love on here. As Zanyru said, it fell apart in the end, because only one of us wanted to meet up in real life, and when we did not accomplish that. It all fell apart. Though...I have no doubt that this game, has become meaningful to those that have found true love on here, and did meet up, and have it work out for the best. :)
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I shall tell my story, and all good stories begin with once upon a time, but...

I met my match in a parade last year, he was a blademaster from Thailand, but originally Burmese. we became good friends and bonded over making machinima's and music. Eventually, we became an item, both in game and real life. Skype was our connection, and I admit, he was the most gorgeous guy I had ever met. He was romantic, gentle, caring, and extremely funny. He always cheered me up when i got upset.
    Our relationship became a full blown intimate romance (no regrets), and eventually we got married ingame; much to my mums disapproval. At the time I was living with her, she despised it, and hit me when I was talking to me on skype (she was bipolar.) After this, He decided to try for a Masters degree after his Bachelors and come to England so I could live with him. We would talk when she wasnt up, and I'd fall asleep with him till it was time for me to wake up, and he would go to Uni.

He helped me detox my gaming addiction after I kept checking the forums when I quit to spend more time with him, even If it took some hard love and him telling me off harshly because of it. But I managed in the end. Cruel to be kind, but I could not thank him enough for it, as my grades had plummeted with playing the game so much.

Then, smack bang on my dads birthday, Mum kicked me out after she couldnt take it anymore. She couldn't accept I was happy. Then under new house rules, I couldnt talk to him until from 4-7, and it really put a strain. It was then I realised:
    I couldnt give up my GCSE's, despite my grades being back to normal for him. If he came to England, then I would skip college and just go straight to London. He was my red rose, I would had given up everything for him - and thats pure honesty.

(red roses mean youd give in a relationship, white means taking, just a lil fact :) )

So, I had to call it off this April, after a whirlwind relationship that made me the happiest girl in the world. I recorded a message and said goodbye, saying to not forget me, as I havent forgotten him to this day. I miss him every day and have his steel ring still on my right ring finger or around my neck when I feel like it.

And, although we may have gone our seperate ways and we don't talk, he still plays a part in my life. He inspired me to take Graphic Design for College next year (I wanted to take beauty therapy, but thats mostly for tangerine queens...), and i'm more happy at my dads then I ever was with my mother. I'm only going to play PWI now when i've completely finished my studying, and only for short periods, not for a full blown 9 hour marathon.

So, I know he wont read this but, thank you Raven_Faiths for everything you have done ^^.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    My issue with relationships online are that many of them seem rather inappropriate. I'm not normally one to jump on the Ageist bandwagon, but married women "marrying" 15-17 year olds in game and not having it be just for the quests? Men in their 40's hanging out with teenage "girls"? This sort of nonsense isn't love, if there is such a thing. It's people making unhealthy overly dependent connections based on immature impulse emotions such as jealousy(Oh, he wants her because he saw some other guy carrying her last week.) and avoidance(Can't make it with a girl/guy in real life? Go find an avatar.)

I'm not saying it's impossible, matters of the mind and heart can frequently transcend physical, and I think that if you're not wearing rosey glasses it can be easier to tell whether someone is a fake online rather than in person. But both parties need to be mature. If you're "in love" with someone different every week, you need to unplug and go get a real life. I'm pretty sure they sell them at Walmart.
  • glamourez
    glamourez Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    me and my boyfriend meet over perfect world i he vists as much as he can now and been together for over 2years and the more time that passes the closer we get :)
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You can find true love in the oddest of places. When I started playing, it was just to help with my social anxiety issues. I was not expecting almost everything that's happened in the past couple of years to be because of this game.

TBH, when I first met Escorian, I was indifferent. I saw him as a friend but nothing more. A few months later, we're a couple in game with an intention to meet. Skip to a year later, we're engaged now and we have a 5-month-old daughter. We wouldn't change this for the world.

Our relationship is indeed one of very few that works out this way (especially since we're so different in some folks' eyes, but opposites attract, right?). There was no "ooh, let's get married and mooch off each other"; if we wanted something, we were on our own (for the most part). There are so many that become "relationships" because of the size of the others' wallet. That's trivial stuff. What happens when someone else with a bigger wallet comes along?
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Rikkai - Sanctuary
    Rikkai - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2011

So, I know he wont read this but, thank you Raven_Faiths for everything you have done ^^.

Your story made me tear up |: it just seems so unfair..

And others had great inputs as well I loved reading them all and I hope more people post them

My own input though - As a female playing online games I have noticed that a friendship with a guy may become 'something more' quite quickly depending on actions taken. The guys I meet who are not in a relationship always seem to be ready to be in one, and this is where I wonder. If guys are always so quick to be nice to a girl and they enjoy talking to her why are they not approaching girls like me in their own school/mall/local gamestop SOMEPLACE ._.

It may seem sad to say but I have been approached and told I'm pretty and nice and bla bla bla by more guys in PWI than people who live around me. So it's a question as why this doesnt happen when I walk into school. Am I too shy? Are they too shy? Am I just ugly to guys around me? Or is it just that guys change when they play the game..

Anywho I guess now I'm a believer in online love because I am actually not ignored. I suppose if I like to play this game and you do also it is a fun thing to do to pass the time together. Those who have said that a way to actually reach the person is a vital part, I do not think that is true. Even if you don't have a way of reaching eachother, trust and confidence and hard work would grant a couple the ability to be together. It would just take a while :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~Lol dont you just love those random stalkerish guys~b:shocked
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Yes..
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Your story made me tear up |: it just seems so unfair..
    :\

Yeah.. it was I guess. If I could do it all over again without eagle eye parents, I would. The situation I was in meant I couldnt continue the relationship ;.;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Finrah - Sanctuary
    Finrah - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Yeah.. it was I guess. If I could do it all over again without eagle eye parents, I would. The situation I was in meant I couldnt continue the relationship ;.;

Holy Jesus Christ...

and I thought my parents were horrible...

Thanks for the sharing, this made me feel that I need to hold my ground firmly by what I want instead of what they want. I will never let them separate us apart b:angryb:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    b:cute
    It's possible, but, you're going to have to pull a lot of weeds to grow a healthy flower, so to speak. Long Distance Relations are tough, in my experience, but they can work. I went through a really bad one before finding a really good one, here are some of the things people told me when I was going through the bad one... Not saying these are 100% but in my case they were all major signs I should have noticed but was too in love to identify.

Signs the person you are with/you are not mature enough for LDR:

♥ Asking you to visit NOW every other day or so, even though you say you will during break.
    ♥ Frequent arguments over small misunderstandings ("You don't send me smiley faces like you used to!")
    ♥ Frequent requests for pictures when they already have many of yours. Especially nudes.
    ♥ Following you in game in any way shape or form (showing lack of trust).
    ♥ Either partner has a real life gf/bf/crush/straying eyes.
    ♥ Your partner gossips about every fight you have, telling others how awful you are.
    ♥ You've been in a LOT of LDRs, this is a sign that something may not be working for you.
    ♥ Especially in PWI, a high amount of dependence is unhealthy. (The "WE MUST DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER" couple, you all know one.)
    ♥ You never plan to actually meet the person, or eventually relocate for the person.
    ♥ Jealousy is sourced in mistrust, so signs that your partner does not trust you with players of the opposite sex are bad.

For me it seems like most PWI relationships work in overdrive. People meet, decide they want to be "together", get married, spend 24/7 with each other for a month or so, then fall out of love. What worked for me was being friends for a long time before taking the step into a relationship.

Good luck~

+1 kerororo, couldnt of said it better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Safe to say its easily possible, but highly improbable.

If you have an ingame marriage, try to keep it in perspective - just like your chars, its just pixels...fantasy...and not real. Harder to do than you may think, if you really get emmotionally into this online love.

You can have a lot of fun with it - just dont be surprised if that lovely girl or handsome guy you fell so hard for turns out to be an old ****, pervert, convict, or someone that does not really meet your real life gender requirements.

Fantasy is fun, including fantasy love - which is why so many people play MMOs to begin with. You may not really be all that handsome and cool in real life - but on a PC where your real identity is hidden, you can be anything you want to be.

But, as is always said, once you bring your fantasies to fruition, you may find they did not live up to what you expected them to be. (i.e. its the fantasy that creates the excitement, and once you let it fail, you need a new fantasy.)

People meet in many places, including online. Just dont be disgusted if you find your ingame love is NOT what you thought it was in real life. They were obviously a nice person or you never would have invested any emotion into them to start with.

To intentionally look for love on a computer game is folly - but if you happen to find it, God bless.

To enjoy the fantasy char you made within the fantasy world of PWI is what MMOs are all about. MMOs are social games, and relationships are normal within that context - even platonic friendships that will never expand beyond the reach of your PC. Just keep it straight in your mind, and you should be fine.

Remember, many relationships that start in real life - everyone seeing what they are getting up front, with more cards on the table than a PC relationship ever has - dont stand the test of time. So, a relationship based around all this fantasy is probably doomed if you try to take it out of its fantasy world.

Sure, many people meet on MMOs, and some try to take that to the next step. Real life. And, those that are successful have defied all the odds. Gratz!

Have fun with the game - all aspects of it. Just keep the person who created your char safe & happy too.
  • Breitling - Raging Tide
    Breitling - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I have learned in my years upon this world, anything is possible when given the chance to make it something special. The biggest risk are things told that wind up being falsehoods. An air of caution should never be cast aside unless you are willing to accept that what seems to be winds up not being.

My biggest recommendation, is as the old saying goes...never throw caution to the wind, but also live life to its fullest potential. This is after all, the digital computer age.
    Proud Executor of Rapture

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Like a good timepiece, a cleric is there when you need it.

Alt: Behike
  • Reix - Dreamweaver
    Reix - Dreamweaver Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    You most definitely can, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who did or believes so. b:cute

I met my boyfriend on this game almost two years ago. He joined my faction cause a friend of his made him. We've been around each other and played together since. Eventually, I developed a little crush. Seven or eight months ago, I got to go visit family in California, close to where he lives and we decided it would be cool if we could meet up in person. When we did, I completely fell in love. A week or two after returning home, my cleric married his wizard (at first just for the experience and items and the fun of it, I suppose) but that night, after the wedding we got together as a real couple as well. We're both happy together, and because we're both in college, the distance works out in our favor so we can focus on classes. In all honesty, I have every intention of marrying this man.

So it's possible, just be careful of who all you meet. Not everyone is a friendly face. b:surrender
    When we first met face to face, he actually apologized for not being a 44 year-old pedophile. He was just being funny, but damn was I glad when he wasn't one. He very well could have been.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]