Can you find True Love on a game?

Options
_Ashleigh_ - Raging Tide
_Ashleigh_ - Raging Tide Posts: 26 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
So many people are in these "online" relationships. I wonder if it can be just as good as the real thing or if its true that people pretend to be everything you want only to find out later they're the complete opposite. b:surrender
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by _Ashleigh_ - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Lienna - Momaganon
    Lienna - Momaganon Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    its like opening packs, 0,00005% chance b:laugh
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Some people do find love in game, they meet... talk... grow close... and fall in love. It's not amazingly common, but it happens. The thing is, unless you actually have some way to meet the other person someday, it will fall apart. It's best to just avoid the whole situation unless you know what you have is real and you can meet up some day.

Just my two cents.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Some people do find love in game, they meet... talk... grow close... and fall in love. It's not amazingly common, but it happens. The thing is, unless you actually have some way to meet the other person someday, it will fall apart. It's best to just avoid the whole situation unless you know what you have is real and you can meet up some day.

Just my two cents.

Wise words and complete truth!
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So many people are in these "online" relationships. I wonder if it can be just as good as the real thing or if its true that people pretend to be everything you want only to find out later they're the complete opposite. b:surrender

If you can never meet the other person the online relationship is doomed to fail. But you only live once, give it a whirl.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Solar_one - Sanctuary
    Solar_one - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in if i may

About 2 and a half years ago and after a long talk about getting married in game we decided we would. Spent weeks questing running around and just having fun we spent hours on game and really got to know each other ..now im not all that great at typing so we move to using skype ( made life so much easier in game just being able to talk) we spent more time playing the game together than we had ever done day in day out after a couple of months i realised i had a lot more feelings for this person and confessed them to her . ( We had our ups and down and at 1 point didnt talk to each other for a month but to cut a long story short )

On the 15 th of March this year i flew from Australia to Holland spent 2 weeks there and we both flew to Australia then on the 22nd of October this year we got married RL.b:victory

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of BAD endings out there but sometimes there are the good ones.
  • Xinaeco - Harshlands
    Xinaeco - Harshlands Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    You just have to find a person that is willing enough to come be with you in real life o.o It's very few and far between, we all have seen pwi couples meet in real life and stay together, but there's only a handful of them.
    Imo, nothing compares to being able to hold a loved one's hand and cuddle with them, etc. :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NiightmareXz; lv 92 demon archer (retired)
    xinaeco; lv 9x sage veno (retired currently)
    lil nab secret cleric (main)
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in if i may

About 2 and a half years ago and after a long talk about getting married in game we decided we would. Spent weeks questing running around and just having fun we spent hours on game and really got to know each other ..now im not all that great at typing so we move to using skype ( made life so much easier in game just being able to talk) we spent more time playing the game together than we had ever done day in day out after a couple of months i realised i had a lot more feelings for this person and confessed them to her . ( We had our ups and down and at 1 point didnt talk to each other for a month but to cut a long story short )

On the 15 th of March this year i flew from Australia to Holland spent 2 weeks there and we both flew to Australia then on the 22nd of October this year we got married RL.b:victory

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of BAD endings out there but sometimes there are the good ones.

Now I'm jelly. But congratz on meeting someone special.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • X\_Tegus_/X - Harshlands
    X\_Tegus_/X - Harshlands Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    possible , but highly unlikely imo. Let me tell you why, I agree with Zanryu but let me tell you my theory. youre a girl so prepare for the following.

- there seem to be alot of desperate guys on game that will try and get with just about any girl they see. You guys think that ''MMORPG'' stand for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game?... nah son.. what it really stands for is ''Many Men Online **** Pretty Girls.''
    But the government doesnt tell you that cause it will ruin everything they have going on behind the scenes and mess up their already corrupt image. These ''MMORPGer's'' will try and be the ''ideal man'' just to get close to you.... and then before u know it .. Bam! they whip out marriage packs out of their back pocket yo! **** you into marrying them! There are people on my server that ive seen re-marry different people like 10 times.... What are the guy's goal you ask ? I dont know .. maybe theyre just trying to look cool that they have a girl on game. Because the first thing every guy except me tries to be on game is a badass! Im sure theyre secretly working for the government having their strings pulled for some hidden plan they may have ready to execute...

What im trying to say is it is possible to find true love in game, but desperate actions r highly unlikely to lead to it. In other words, 'looking for it'' isnt worth it. I feel things turn out best if you just let things happen naturally... so dont go out and WC ''LF BF pm me weapon!'' or something like that.. lol
  • Ephemera - Raging Tide
    Ephemera - Raging Tide Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It takes some serious commitment to deal with the long distance relationship until you can be together in person, and a lot of times people aren't willing to put up with it for very long. It is much harder than meeting someone in person, but at the same time, it can bring you even closer if you're really invested in it, just because of the emotional connection you can build that isn't based on physical chemistry (though, obviously, that's what we all crave in the end, and does make a good emotional connection even stronger).

Personally, I met my boyfriend in another game. We're both stuck where we are due to school at the moment, but in the next year or so we'll be living together and eventually getting married. It's hard with the relationship being long-distance right now, but we're able to visit each other now and then, and are both looking forward to the future. b:cute

As other people said, it's rare, but it does happen.
  • rolix9
    rolix9 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This forums needs a psyho section
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Online relationships aren't really much different than the game... it's all a fantasy in your head. No matter "how well you know each other", unless you've actually been physically together, there's no way you can know so many things about someone, their annoying habits, their mannerisms, etc... It's a lot like looking at a picture of a delicious steak. You don't really know if you'll like it or not until you experience it. The whole not having met IRL and being an "IRL couple" thing bugs me too. Anyway, to each their own.

There are quite a few mentally disturbed people playing MMOs. Much higher per capita than you would find almost anywhere else except maybe a mental ward. There are the desperate clingy types looking for love and affection and always get burned. There are those that prey on them. I know far more people who love being in love and jump from person to person, not really caring who or how many people they've hurt.

Two people with faith and patience can work out. It's just not typical. Most online relationships consist of one person who is a sociopath, the other, ending up a victim.

Love fraud exists... it's not always intentional. Sociopaths are like that.

And men are usually worse than women in this regard...
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    b:cute
    It's possible, but, you're going to have to pull a lot of weeds to grow a healthy flower, so to speak. Long Distance Relations are tough, in my experience, but they can work. I went through a really bad one before finding a really good one, here are some of the things people told me when I was going through the bad one... Not saying these are 100% but in my case they were all major signs I should have noticed but was too in love to identify.

Signs the person you are with/you are not mature enough for LDR:

♥ Asking you to visit NOW every other day or so, even though you say you will during break.
    ♥ Frequent arguments over small misunderstandings ("You don't send me smiley faces like you used to!")
    ♥ Frequent requests for pictures when they already have many of yours. Especially nudes.
    ♥ Following you in game in any way shape or form (showing lack of trust).
    ♥ Either partner has a real life gf/bf/crush/straying eyes.
    ♥ Your partner gossips about every fight you have, telling others how awful you are.
    ♥ You've been in a LOT of LDRs, this is a sign that something may not be working for you.
    ♥ Especially in PWI, a high amount of dependence is unhealthy. (The "WE MUST DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER" couple, you all know one.)
    ♥ You never plan to actually meet the person, or eventually relocate for the person.
    ♥ Jealousy is sourced in mistrust, so signs that your partner does not trust you with players of the opposite sex are bad.

For me it seems like most PWI relationships work in overdrive. People meet, decide they want to be "together", get married, spend 24/7 with each other for a month or so, then fall out of love. What worked for me was being friends for a long time before taking the step into a relationship.

Good luck~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd say it's possible, but it's like digging out a swimming pool with a spoon. There are better alternatives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ceiba - Sanctuary
    Ceiba - Sanctuary Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Not possible, is internet, everything is fake on Internet.
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It is possible, but don't come here thinking it's a online dating game.

Met my gf in June 2010, we started talking in vent where we gradually started to grow fond of each other. Then it went on to msn, cam (just to see each other, nothing spicy..lol), phone calls and real life meeting.

Been with her ever since with no signs of slowing down.

Just don't jump in anyone's arms that will say things like "Will u be my bf/gf , i'll get you R9", those kinds of relationship don't work and are most of the time, not a tad serious.
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

This b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • princessice
    princessice Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Imo, Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

I met a barb on pwi, (i was a veno) and i pk'd alot and lost alot of my gear. Said barb would pk the people that took it until i got it back and I thought it was cute.

one day he didnt log in for a couple weeks, and I started talking to his irl friend who also played the game. we got close and I went to visit him, which ended up moving in together.

sadly to say it didn't last. after about a year of being together (and the orignial barb not liking me a whole lot) Me and the friend split up, and it was hard for me. Me and the original barb started talking again. and got together.

we've been together about a year now with a baby on the way, it gets rough sometimes but we always seem to work it out.

Not every ldr is perfect and not all of them work out. but If its ment to be you'll find someone.
  • VindictiveX - Sanctuary
    VindictiveX - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    b:cute
    It's possible, but, you're going to have to pull a lot of weeds to grow a healthy flower, so to speak. Long Distance Relations are tough, in my experience, but they can work. I went through a really bad one before finding a really good one, here are some of the things people told me when I was going through the bad one... Not saying these are 100% but in my case they were all major signs I should have noticed but was too in love to identify.

Signs the person you are with/you are not mature enough for LDR:

♥ Asking you to visit NOW every other day or so, even though you say you will during break.
    ♥ Frequent arguments over small misunderstandings ("You don't send me smiley faces like you used to!")
    ♥ Frequent requests for pictures when they already have many of yours. Especially nudes.
    ♥ Following you in game in any way shape or form (showing lack of trust).
    ♥ Either partner has a real life gf/bf/crush/straying eyes.
    ♥ Your partner gossips about every fight you have, telling others how awful you are.
    ♥ You've been in a LOT of LDRs, this is a sign that something may not be working for you.
    ♥ Especially in PWI, a high amount of dependence is unhealthy. (The "WE MUST DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER" couple, you all know one.)
    ♥ You never plan to actually meet the person, or eventually relocate for the person.
    ♥ Jealousy is sourced in mistrust, so signs that your partner does not trust you with players of the opposite sex are bad.

For me it seems like most PWI relationships work in overdrive. People meet, decide they want to be "together", get married, spend 24/7 with each other for a month or so, then fall out of love. What worked for me was being friends for a long time before taking the step into a relationship.

Good luck~

Kerona, I love your post and I couldn't have put it any better myself. and in my opinion you're right about the list of signs for LDR. It is smart to get to know a person really well before taking the next steps and forming a loving relationship, but even when you think you know a person sometimes it turns out you really didn't know them at all and that becomes heartbreaking and a relationship doomed to fail as well. Take baby steps and don't be too trusting early on, take time to get to know the person as well as their reactions to things, and try to be observant and aware of every situation within the relationship. It's so easy to deceive online, and when the truth is revealed it can hurt like hell, and even with that said, I'd say still give love a chance including LDR as there is always that possibility of finding your true love and soul mate in unexpected places.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away." ~Hitch
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It happens, but I only know 1 or 2 couples that worked to every 20 or so that didn't.

Can't tell you how many people working amazingly well ingame, then decided to meet IRL, and the next thing I know is drama ensuing and tears.

But true love knows no distance, if you're willing to take that chance, that leap, take it, because you might only find true love once in your life and don't wanna miss it b:cute
  • Hovinski - Harshlands
    Hovinski - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the first and ultimate requirement:

able to meet up IRL.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

That made me laugh, thank you b:pleased.
  • Ephemera - Raging Tide
    Ephemera - Raging Tide Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

Just don't jump in anyone's arms that will say things like "Will u be my bf/gf , i'll get you R9"

I lol'd. I've seen this type of thing in world chat sometimes, in multiple games, and it never gets less ridiculous.

Definitely wouldn't play a game with the intention of meeting someone for a relationship; meeting people in your area in person is much more realistic. The only relationships that start in games and seem to last are those that were stumbled upon accidentally--i.e. you met a friend in a game, started talking, got closer over a period of time, and then developed feelings for each other. Anyone who's actually looking for a relationship in an online game is going to be sorely disappointed.
  • rolix9
    rolix9 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I lol'd. I've seen this type of thing in world chat sometimes, in multiple games, and it never gets less ridiculous.

Definitely wouldn't play a game with the intention of meeting someone for a relationship; meeting people in your area in person is much more realistic. The only relationships that start in games and seem to last are those that were stumbled upon accidentally--i.e. you met a friend in a game, started talking, got closer over a period of time, and then developed feelings for each other. Anyone who's actually looking for a relationship in an online game is going to be sorely disappointed.

"meeting people in your area in person is much more realistic"
    No **** sherlock
    Ofc ppl play games for fun thinking otherwise would be idiotic.
    If its possible to find friends in game witch you meet irl then why couldnt you find a gf. Sadly all my friends who i hawe met in game and live relativly near me are all guys.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Yes it is possible.. I'm proof of that. *sigh* We even met in person and had a great time together.

I still believe I should have never left there, maybe things would be different.

It did not last though. . . .

But to get around the obvious disadvantages of being long distance, we kept the love strong through many methods, the best one of course being through voice chat. We also maintained a strong sense of rationality. There was no worry about cheating, as I'm not that kind of person, and neither was she.

So there is 3 big things to work on to make an LDR work.

And if anyone has questions regarding this post..just PM..I don't wont to see this thread again.
  • Aowenn - Archosaur
    Aowenn - Archosaur Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It's like having a relationship with a computer

'Oh baby, i love your big.......pixels'

IRL is the ONLY way to have a REAL relationship
  • Queelen - Sanctuary
    Queelen - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    A female friend of mine have found her man through this game. It turned out the guy didn't live that far away from here and they have been together for 2+ years now. If I wouldn't know her personally IRL I wouldn't even believe that you can get any kind of meaningful relationship through shiny little pixels. Surreal sh*t, I tell you.
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It sure is possible. The fac leader and director from my first faction got married irl :)
    However, you do have to be able to meet eachother ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wimpykid90
    wimpykid90 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hmmm Maybe...I've been playing this game named freejack and met someone and that felt like sorta love...it was just funny to open the game and then talk just like we were a couple
  • Sjilver - Sanctuary
    Sjilver - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

Just my two cents.

I know two couples who have met and married through playing online games, 3rd wedding on the way. True, I play a LOT of games - but quite amazed at the number.
  • _Ashleigh_ - Raging Tide
    _Ashleigh_ - Raging Tide Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I was just curious because it seems so odd how much drama an online relationship can have...You really never know who you're really dealing with. The people you meet online will probably not be the kind of person you would associate with irl. So why bother trying to go the distance to get heartbroken when it really wont be worth it in the end? Well...I guess in a way it make the game more interesting. Just cause more drama than any game should imo. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]