I'm frustrated PWI

Elemental_w - Heavens Tear
Elemental_w - Heavens Tear Posts: 111 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Alright, I know that a lot of people play PWI, I get that. However, I'm kind of frustrated when it comes to character names for several reasons..

First off all, I can't find a decent name for any of characters I'm trying to make because their all taken. I guarantee that over 50% of these "taken" usernames are from players who are inactive, alts, and even maybe quit the game. More and more character names are starting to have _'s and /'s and even the i - L thing going on because there's no decent names left on this game.

Example; my friend I had when I was level like 10 in 2009 quit the game. Hasn't been on since and its 2012 almost. His character has been there for 3 years almost inactive.... Not a single sign on and it counts as a used up name.

Doesn't it frustrate you when you have a lot of really good idea's for a character name just to find out that that name has been taken at character selection screen? I find it very annoying.

If anyone says its "Your fault for a lack of creativity" then thats also FALSE because the only way you can basically find a name thats ENGLISH is MAKING A WORD UP and making it your character name or using some dumb chinese name that nobody understands because its the best thing you can do.
Post edited by Elemental_w - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    b:cool
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    <--Made a character named Jeremiad just this spring. It's a real english term, meaning a long literary work in which the author bitterly laments the state of society and its morals in a serious tone of sustained invective, and always contains a prophecy of society's imminent downfall. I don't play him much.

Jeremied is is a play on that word, but I like it better.

Vocabulary more please. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    It must suck to be so unimaginative.

All of my toons are one word names. Only one has an _ in it and it's because I took the original name myself. I make new ones every couple of months. Yesterday, I made a toon as well. It took me less than 5 tries to find a name that wasn't used. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited December 2011
    It must suck to be so unimaginative.

All of my toons are one word names. Only one has an _ in it and it's because I took the original name myself. I make new ones every couple of months. Yesterday, I made a toon as well. It took me less than 5 tries to find a name that wasn't used. b:bye

I feel the same way. I always try to think of an original name, or I find a little-known name (generally Elvish ones for the Elven characters). I even used the Japanese (transliterated) word for "mystic" as the name for my male Mystic.b:chuckle
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I thought there was a policy to cancel accounts if they have not been logged in for a certain time. I could be wrong but I for one, even though leaving the game a year ago logged in from time to time to update and keep my characters from being deleted. Just in case.

Now that I decided to come back to play, I am glad my characters were not removed.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Synsae - Sanctuary
    Synsae - Sanctuary Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Well, I can agree, naming characters is tough for me... but I don't think my creativity in naming my characters is that bad though

Synsae comings from using letters on the brand name of my hockey stick (which is Easton Synergy)
    Onbekend is dutch for "Unknown"... I had a lil help from Dutch faction-mates with naming this character though
    Maineah.. I live in Maine (in some accents 'r' gets sounded as 'ah'... hence Maineah)

and I'll just leave it at that... don't want to list all my characters (I do use them all btw)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Silvychar
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    Asgardeus - Sanctuary Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Not really, I always come up with original names. lol

Even if my original idea seems to be taken, I can smith a name that I'll like and that doesn't contain _or x's. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I just love all the characters who are called "xXxSTEALTHxXx". XD I swear, one day I'm gonna pronounce them like that out loud.

I admit it's easier to get names if you don't use english, but you don't have to resort to that. Try combinations of existing words. Try the name of a weapon, or a piece of gear you liked in another game. Or the name of a spell. There are all kinds of sources.

The way I name my characters hasn't changed much in three years, and while I'd never claim to be the most creative guy around, I've never really had a problem naming characters, and I wouldn't resort to Xs or underscores.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • LeroyJinkens - Heavens Tear
    LeroyJinkens - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    *Runs in swinging*

>=D yea party wipe FTW! at least it used to be when everyone had normal names before
    //\\ []D[] []V[][]D was even a name, and if this name isn't taken i'd be surprised rofl
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    When I made my archer, I named him after a German mathematician and that wasn't taken. The only character I have that's two words is my TT opening alt, a wizzie named Math_Wiz
    b:surrender
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I thought there was a policy to cancel accounts if they have not been logged in for a certain time.
    Judging from the amount of "I'm coming back to the game after xx amount of time, what's changed" topics that pop up on the forums, I don't think this is a policy, or if it is, one thats not enforced.
    I just love all the characters who are called "xXxSTEALTHxXx".
    Actually it is amazing how many variations of the word Assassin there are out there. And to what lengths people go to make sure they can use that word with underscores, x's, and various other characters taking the place of the A's and N's.

/\ss/\ssi|\| D:
  • _Nei_ - Sanctuary
    _Nei_ - Sanctuary Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Ya! Someone tell to Nei to give me back my name so I can delete the _ from mine b:laugh

What I adviced is from deleted charas - account you cannot recover the name as a free one.

That's why now mine has _ b:surrender
    [SIGPIC]C:\Users\Fatima\Pictures\neivindicatequickfix.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Is Elemental_qq taken?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Tidestrike - Lost City
    Tidestrike - Lost City Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Surprised my cliched, unimaginative name wasn't taken when i made it earlier this year. Same goes for my Seeker, Terrastrike. Maybe because everyone who considered it realised how lame it is >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I hate my name. And since November 08, I've yet to see the original Trigger on any server I've played - HT/Arch/RT/Harshlands ....

b:sad
  • KingThis - Heavens Tear
    KingThis - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Elemental_QQ...
    Very creative!
    Elemental that name suites you.
    Think about how it would look in worldchat?
    New and improved.... Elemental-Q_Q

Anyways...

My BMs name is /X\an because Xman was taken SAD_FACE like so............................................................................b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <3 SLITNOTb:chuckle
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Wish I could change my name, many people think I`m a chick *sad panda face* b:cry
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    look its eleMENTAL.b:laugh

come on you really complaining about names.You also have a _ in yours and l(L) have a capital L as my i blahahahahaha but i was named after one of my friends who no longer play,i may see him a time or two because i guess he wanan keep his account active.
    dont make fun of Elemental king_glitch
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I could've gone with pretty much any name at the time I made this cleric, but oh well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ciretako - Harshlands
    Ciretako - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Well at least there aren't so many Legolas clones around these days.
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I could've gone with pretty much any name at the time I made this cleric, but oh well...

b:sad How could you have even a modicum of regret? Your names awesome D:
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • SoulRequiem - Sanctuary
    SoulRequiem - Sanctuary Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    There is a relatively easy fix for this:
    If your account stays inactive for 2/3 months,your characters does not get deleted,instead,they lose their names,so if you want to return after 3+ months of inactivity,you have to pick a new name.

//Problem Solved

\\But not gonna happen
    WTB>More Fash
    Currently Want-to-buy list>>(W=White;B=Black;A=Any color)
    ((W. Steampunk Top \\ W. Aegan Dress \\ W. Road Warrior Vest and Shorts \\ W. Cougar Top \\ W. Barfighter Top \\B. Chipao \\ Trading B. Shinobi Set to White \\ B. Bowknot Top \\ W. Porcelian Dress \\ B. Leopard Boots \\W. Corsair Dress \\ B. Debutante Dress \\ W. Sunshine Blouse \\ W. Tiger Lily Dress \\ W. Stardust Dress \\ \\ Red Bikini Bottom \\ W. Crown Princess Dress))
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    none of my names use any type of spacers or weird characters and i got the names i wanted.. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box.
    I have quite a few elvish names, one who is a goddess of finish mythology, my cleric who has a "regular" name and a compound name that was just a mash up of a name i used in an old game and my rl nickname (DiamondStar)

try again b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    My name was just random, and idk what's the deal about all the x's in names. I didn't use it to make the name go through, I just wanted to put an x in front of my name.
  • Aryarie - Sanctuary
    Aryarie - Sanctuary Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Video and console games are a great place to find unique names... that's where I found my wizzie's name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rolix9
    rolix9 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    *Runs in swinging*

>=D yea party wipe FTW! at least it used to be when everyone had normal names before
    //\\ []D[] []V[][]D was even a name, and if this name isn't taken i'd be surprised rofl
    i see where you took your name frome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU
  • Zarni - Dreamweaver
    Zarni - Dreamweaver Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The best answer I ever heard for "how did you name your character?" was:

1 consonant, 1 vowel, repeat.

You can do that with about any string of words or even just randomly pick letters. If you've ever read low quality fantasy novels you'll see a lot of names made like that, lol.

For example, the title of this thread would make names like: Musated, Furati, Wimadir, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rolix9
    rolix9 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The best answer I ever heard for "how did you name your character?" was:

1 consonant, 1 vowel, repeat.

You can do that with about any string of words or even just randomly pick letters. If you've ever read low quality fantasy novels you'll see a lot of names made like that, lol.

For example, the title of this thread would make names like: Musated, Furati, Wimadir, etc.

i duno.. in my country Zarni means intestine
  • LeroyJinkens - Heavens Tear
    LeroyJinkens - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    rolix9 wrote: »
    i duno.. in my country Zarni means intestine

that cuz she didn't follow the formula >.>
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I hate my name. And since November 08, I've yet to see the original Trigger on any server I've played - HT/Arch/RT/Harshlands ....

b:sad

That's cause the original Trigger is my TT opener. Personally, I made sure that all my names (of characters that I intend to play) doesn't have any weird placement of I/L that could allow a misspelled duplicate.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf