Request for Frankie / GM or Dev about snowmen?

Options
MageMERC - Harshlands
MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
I am curious thats all - this is not a troll thread.

What was done differently this year with the snowmen? I mean, many of us happily massacred snowmen for the last two Christmas periods and this year they caused a problem.

Was it because the snowmen themselves were modified (hopefully for a benefit to players) or was it a compatibility issue with some other content? Any you guys/gals know? Would be interested to get your feedback.

Tks.
Post edited by MageMERC - Harshlands on

Comments

• krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I don't think they know themselves. I'm curious why it wasn't tested on the test servers prior to activation on the actual servers, as that would have avoided the issue altogether. They would have noticed something wrong, and possibly have been able to get a fix in with time still to implement them this year. It's slightly depressing that this wasn't the case, but c'est la vie.
  • Elstraya - Heavens Tear
    Elstraya - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The "test servers" either don't exist or no testing is done on them.
    I could point to many patches over the years where obvious stuff was broken (orbs causing client instability, duke blacke talking too much, piggy loosing its effects) and I don't think I have ever heard them mention any problems found in test.

The snowmen incident just prooves it for me...the "test servers" are a lie.

I vote the GMs come online, stand around arch and let us hit them and drop fireworks and genie food from their inventories. I just gotta have my yearly snowman "fix". b:laugh
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    I don't think they know themselves. I'm curious why it wasn't tested on the test servers prior to activation on the actual servers, as that would have avoided the issue altogether.

Testing something before implementing. LOLOLOL you are funneh.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the snowmen look like they may have been modified SERVER-side. the client data matches up with data from all the way back to age of spirits, but for whatever reason, this year they are doing damage on par with hands (clap, anyone?) currently they are probably investigating the server data, or requesting a fix for it (just my guess)
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    they shoulda just left it =/ i heard it was epic killer snowmen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ....... many of us happily massacred snowmen for the last two Christmas periods and this year they caused a problem.

I think you mean they "turned the tables"... and massacured the players...

You really got to admire the irony there..... (I bet that was a OH-SH-!T heard around the world when the developers found out and rolled it back).
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Would have been something to go down in the PWI history books. Something that isn't completely negative like is the norm now. b:thanks
  • HEX_AT - Heavens Tear
    HEX_AT - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    it does not seam like a random segmant of code, Wonder if it was a joke or someone got a bit annoyed as they left PWI... I mean would the patch have been checked for the snowmen or is it just applyed to the server?

Anywayz im sure PWI will find some way to make sure the snowmen are back and may be someting different to say WHOOPS.
  • Phedre_Rain - Sanctuary
    Phedre_Rain - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

I vote the GMs come online, stand around arch and let us hit them and drop fireworks and genie food from their inventories. I just gotta have my yearly snowman "fix". b:laugh

GM's exist? Does that mean Santa's real, too?

Free pinatas! b:thanks
  • Channman - Lost City
    Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I think you mean they "turned the tables"... and massacured the players...

You really got to admire the irony there..... (I bet that was a OH-SH-!T heard around the world when the developers found out and rolled it back).

wait the snowmen were killing players :o wtf they should of kept it them would of been great to walk in arch and see all the blue names die
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    wait the snowmen were killing players :o wtf they should of kept it them would of been great to walk in arch and see all the blue names die

Yeah some of us have DREAMED for all of these vending stalls to be totally wiped out... and yes, I am not sure 'how' but the Snowmen went on a rampage.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I did post the information they needed to fix the code on the server side in another thread. Sadly though, it's my understanding that the "Dev's" on our side aren't able to actually make any changes to the server files, even in as small a change as this would be to fix the snowmen. Then turning them on is a simple command from the GM console.

Basically, PWE Management fails at managing things, and since we'll have to wait for PW-CN to send us a fix, well, they might have it updated by July.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Sylen, I've been told that they have a policy of not accepting unsolicited user-submitted things, even if it's exactly WTF they need at that moment. b:surrender

And it'll only be updated by July if PWE actually bothers telling Beijing it's broken...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Apparently the staff couldn't handle the snowmen finally bringing about their promise of world domination.

Shame too since I wanted to help our snowmen overlords and once they seized power, backstab them by activating the sun and causing them all to melt
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm curious why it wasn't tested on the test servers

PWI have test servers? O.o b:puzzled
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I don't think they know themselves. I'm curious why it wasn't tested on the test servers prior to activation on the actual servers, as that would have avoided the issue altogether. They would have noticed something wrong, and possibly have been able to get a fix in with time still to implement them this year. It's slightly depressing that this wasn't the case, but c'est la vie.

I know why the snowmen are not out yet even after this recent maintenance. It's the recent pack sales, they are causing server instability like with the 11/12+ dragon orbs! TAKE THEM OUT PLEASE :D
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm peaked by this snowmen issue. I was waiting to level my sawfly from 50 to 96....... I hope we still get them for a month if/when they work it out....
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I remember during these snowmen events, all classes can equip a special holiday range weapon given from a quest, will this exclude earth guards from equipping it since that race can't equip range weapons?

...Maybe this is what they are trying to fix? or is it that Christmas Card quest event that worked out fine in 2008 Christmas, semi failed in 2009 but people were still able to collect a majority of the card sets, and was not implemented as part of the event until the last day of the event in 2010.
  • MiniDusk - Heavens Tear
    MiniDusk - Heavens Tear Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Omfg! I hope someone recorded the killings because I had to miss it due to my computer being packed up cause I'm moving. I'd lmao!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]