Everything you need to know about assassin stealth

Trawne - Lost City
Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
edited April 2012 in Assassin
I'm putting this thread together to help out those who don't know how stealth works. Most of the stuff in here I tested myself over the past few months and posted in various threads. This will be a localized place for all that information.

Let's start with how stealth and awareness levels are determined.

Equation for Stealth level: Stealth level = Character level + level of stealth skill used (shadow walk or escape) + Cat-like Tread

Awareness level = Character Level + Sharp observer skill + Detection potion

For most Awareness level will be just their character level as only sins get sharp observer and the potions aren't cheap.

To see a stealthed assassin your awareness level must EQUAL or be greater than their stealth level.

Example: A level 60 assassin with 7 Cat like tread and 10 shadow walk has a level of 84 in stealth. This means any player level 84 and above can see him.

An assassin level 66 with level 6 sharp observer has an awareness level of 84 and will see the level 60 assassin. At 65 he would only have 83 awareness levels and would not see the 60 Assassin.

Detection potions as taken from my testing and written in another thread:

my sin is 61 with 5 levels of cat-like tread and 8 levels of shadow walk
61 + 10 + 8 =79

first subject was a 58 veno. veno could not see me alone (obviously). if the pot was correct, he should still not be able to see me
58 + 20 = 78
78 < 79

after using the pot this veno was able to see me however, supporting that the pot did give 30 levels.

a 44 veno could not see me before nor after using the pot
44 + 20 = 64
44 + 30 = 74
both are < 79

at 78 could not see me. a 79 player could.

This shows that they add 30 levels though the description says 20. Detection potions allow non-assassins to see stealthed assassin of their level or lower. A Level 93 archer using a detection potion will see any sin 93 and lower. He will not see a 94 or higher sin though.

Stealth Detection Potions do NOT work for assassins as they do NOT stack with Sharp Observer

Shadow Escape:

With the addition of sage/demon shadow escape, it is possible for an assassin to be invisible to everyone (except seekers now with the newest skills) due to receiving 11 stealth levels while using it. Note that sage/demon Shadow Walk do NOT get a bonus level added and remain +10. The maximum Stealth level you can attain is now 136. Level 105 + 11 Shadow Escape sage/demon + 20 from Cat-Like Tread. Stealth detection pots and the Sharp Observer skill will no longer be enough to see an Assassin that is equal your level and uses Sage/Demon Shadow Escape.

The only class that can currently detect a level 105 Shadow Escaped Assassin is the Seeker class. For the Seeker to achieve this they must have the Radiant Sight skill. This raises the seekers detection level by 31, allowing a level 105 seeker to attain the necessary 136 Detection to see the assassin. I do not at this time know if this skill will stack with a Stealth Detection potion, but seeing as they don't stack with Sharp Observer I doubt they will stack with this skill either.

Nifty things to use stealth for and other miscellaneous information:

You can use any skill while stealthed without breaking stealth (unless you cause damage doing said skill) EXCEPT for one: Sage/Demon Spark. Use of this skill will remove your stealthed condition at the Start of the cast. You are not placed in combat and may re-stealth after if you wish.

As previously stated, you may use Healing trance and remain stealthed while channeling. You will be placed in combat, however, so make note that your mana regen will be 1/4 and you will NOT be able to use Shadow Walk to remove stealth while in combat (you can still smack something to remove stealth).

Shadow Escape can be used to reset your threat level in boss fights against bosses that are not level 150. In order to reset your threat level the boss MUST be attacking you directly. If you just use Shadow Escape and the boss is not targeting you, it will NOT reset your threat level. I like to use this when doing BH. Note that in Twilight Temple all bosses are level 150 so this will not work in here.

Shadow Escape can also be used to pull monsters from a group. aggro the monster and run. Have another member of your squad grab the monster you want then you shadow escape making all the other monsters go back to their spawn point. Make sure your cleric knows not to heal you while you do this or the monsters.

Shadow Escape can also be used to do BH runs unwined. This is very tricky and requires an experienced team. The sin runs ahead of the squad getting aggro on every mob with the squad following behind. Once you reach a safe spot where no monsters are Shadow Escape and the monsters will reset. Again this is very difficult for people not experienced and for most this will just end in squad wipes.
I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
Post edited by Trawne - Lost City on

Comments

• RADD_RATT - Harshlands
    RADD_RATT - Harshlands Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    BRAVO! i applaud this man. ive seen way to many people tell me im wrong about stealth and i dont even want to argue because their thick stubborn skull wont believe me anyways. ive have done countless tests myself and found everything posted above to be 100% accurate. about time some one made a post about it.

+1 to you my freind
  • Wolfyyy - Raging Tide
    Wolfyyy - Raging Tide Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So that means a maxed level sin with maxed detection skill can detect another sin of same level?
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    So that means a maxed level sin with maxed detection skill can detect another sin of same level?

Correct.

2 sins at level 92 with max skills will both see each other. or any level for that matter as long as they have the same skills.

Also, a 70 sin with 8 shadow walk, 5 cat like tread, and 6 sharp observer has a stealth level of 88 and awareness level of 88

A 79 sin with just 9 shadow walk, 0 cat like tread, and 3 sharp observer will also have 88 stealth and 88 awareness levels. This would make both sins able to see each other though one sin is a higher level.
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If you were on HT Trawne, I'd make a veno and marry you, no homo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • zangetsu99
    zangetsu99 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    u put the formula of stealth lvl as stealth level=character lvl +skill llv + cat like tread but later u give the example of a lvl 60 sin with 7 cat like tread and 10 shadow walk that adds up to 77 but u say his stealth lvl is 84 howd u come up to that?
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    zangetsu99 wrote: »
    u put the formula of stealth lvl as stealth level=character lvl +skill llv + cat like tread but later u give the example of a lvl 60 sin with 7 cat like tread and 10 shadow walk that adds up to 77 but u say his stealth lvl is 84 howd u come up to that?

Necro necro necro.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    So, why wasn't Trawne's stealth guide stickied? b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • YouTiao - Heavens Tear
    YouTiao - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Nice guide... I was not sure of how I got my Awareness etc till I saw this guide... Should stick it...

A Noob question though... Beside being same or higher lvl for other players/mob to see us, is there any other way once could see a assasin even though the other party lvl is lower? (Not talking about squad mode though) Cause I have stealth mode of lvl 65++ and the other at 80+ too, but a lower lvl player of (maybe 58) can see me.. And I'm not in squad... :D (What he told me that he click on me, before I go into stealth mode) and the click was still there even i go into stealth mode... Weird.. Is there such thing? Also, if one have a pet, if we go stealth mode, will the player know we are there, since the pet is moving along our side?
  • FirstPk - Archosaur
    FirstPk - Archosaur Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    A Noob question though... Also, if one have a pet, if we go stealth mode, will the player know we are there, since the pet is moving along our side?

Not sure what u meant by the first part but when you stealth the pet turns yellow and disappears on there screen (although we can still see it)
    Sorry didnt read the date
  • foxxel1980
    foxxel1980 Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    yeah i know, bad me necroing.
    but catlike treads=2 stealth per level:)
    60+10x1+7x4=84:)
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Can't necro a sticky xD
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I think the setence is wrong:
    "at 78 could not see me. a 79 player could."

If oppositing side has the SAME detection as your stealth level, it DOES see you.

If you have 114 Stealth level, a one with 114 detection is able to see you. A one with 113 is not.

Thats why No one can see you with lv 11 shadow escape, because stealth lvl goes to 136, when all 105 sins got 135 awareness.

Edit: Other thing you might also like to know about stealth: Using triple spark knocks you out of stealth mode.
  • Jerk_Bag - Sanctuary
    Jerk_Bag - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I would like to add with that this can actually vary. A level 105 sage/demon sin with sage/demon shadow escape is actually undetectable regardless of anyone else's level or if they have detection pots (excluding other sins). I've noticed that sage/demon shadow escape adds an extra stealth level beyond that of sage/demon shadow walk. Other than that though this post was spot on. Very nice post about assassins cheapest moves in duels/pk xD.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This is odd, but I'm a frequent forum goer and I've never seen this sticky thread. I see it's been up for at least 3 months but lol
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • legoham
    legoham Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Thanks!
  • Ancris - Archosaur
    Ancris - Archosaur Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    If you get poisoned by a mob and you use Shadow Escape, when poison ticks will you drop out of stealth? Likewise, if you get poisoned by a mob while in stealth (mob is higher than you so can see you) will you get knocked out of stealth?

(Also random comment, sin's stealth reminds me a lot of the cloaking used in Star Trek, you become invisible but you have flaws so sometimes they can detect you, and you can't attack while stealthed)
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    If you get poisoned by a mob and you use Shadow Escape, when poison ticks will you drop out of stealth? Likewise, if you get poisoned by a mob while in stealth (mob is higher than you so can see you) will you get knocked out of stealth?

DoTs such as Wood damage will not knock you out of stealth if you had them before stealth.

A mob that can see you can knock you out of stealth.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Furthermore, if a mob is channeling an attack while you're stealthing and it hits you after you stealth, it will not knock you out of stealth.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Ancris - Archosaur
    Ancris - Archosaur Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. I just thought I'd ask since I saw it nowhere on the stickied assasin guides...
  • aew7
    aew7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    ok so yes sins can see each other BUT you all forget if your lvl 89+ with lvl 11 Shadow Escape
    any 1 your lvl can not see you like with 2 105 sins both 11 stealth =106 so you have to wait till 1 pops out so do not forget sins get lvl 11 stealth thats what you all forget -.-

but ya have fun and hope this will help out b:bye
  • killersarequiet9
    killersarequiet9 Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Correct.

2 sins at level 92 with max skills will both see each other. or any level for that matter as long as they have the same skills.

Also, a 70 sin with 8 shadow walk, 5 cat like tread, and 6 sharp observer has a stealth level of 88 and awareness level of 88

A 79 sin with just 9 shadow walk, 0 cat like tread, and 3 sharp observer will also have 88 stealth and 88 awareness levels. This would make both sins able to see each other though one sin is a higher level.

What about level 11 shadow escape? o_o

Gives 11 stealth levels instead of 10 IJS
  • Divine_Death - Harshlands
    Divine_Death - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    That was written before TBs had level 11 skills IJS.
  • ScreamingSKY - Archosaur
    ScreamingSKY - Archosaur Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I have a Question... now does anyone know what the little red dots flying around level 70+ assassins dags are... i think its a buff
  • ScreamingSKY - Archosaur
    ScreamingSKY - Archosaur Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    PS i have a level 65 assassin lol
  • foxxel1980
    foxxel1980 Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    the little red dots are just an effect . this can be caused in armor my sharding, 2 grade 5+ garnets will give a red glow.
    and Weapons glow for a different reason:
    Three-star (purple name) = Blue glow. Obtained from a few quests, boss drops, or rarely (10% chance) from weapon manufacturing.
    Legendary (gold name) = Gold glow. Obtained by using materials and a mold (dropped from dungeon bosses) at a Legendary Weapons forge.
    Twilight (green name) = Usually a green glow (there are a few blue glowing ones). Obtained by using Twilight Temple materials at a Twilight Weapons forge.
    Frostcovered (green name) = Glow green like Twilight Temple weapons. Gotten from Frostcovered City drops.
    Frostcovered (gold name) = Red lightning effect on some weapons. Made from "The Past of Frostcovered City" items or Frostcovered Sign.

if the weapon is grade 7 or better and has two sockets, you can add two concentric rings of sparkles that circle around the hand(s) holding the weapon(s) by sharding with two grade 7 or higher shards. The shards and their resulting sparkle colors are:
    Grade 7+ HP shards (Citrine) = purple sparkles
    Grade 7+ MP shards (Turquoise) = blue sparkles
    Grade 7+ physical attack shards (Garnet) = red sparkles
    Grade 7+ magic attack shards (Sapphire) = white sparkles
    Grade 7+ evasion shards (Amber) = yellow sparkles
    Grade 7+ elemental shards (Alabaster, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Ruby, or Topaz) = green sparkles
  • ShadowKnifes - Harshlands
    ShadowKnifes - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm putting this thread together to help out those who don't know how stealth works. Most of the stuff in here I tested myself over the past few months and posted in various threads. This will be a localized place for all that information.

Let's start with how stealth and awareness levels are determined.

Equation for Stealth level: Stealth level = Character level + level of stealth skill used (shadow walk or escape) + Cat-like Tread

Awareness level = Character Level + Sharp observer skill + Detection potion

For most Awareness level will be just their character level as only sins get sharp observer and the potions aren't cheap.

To see a stealth assassin your awareness level must EQUAL or be greater than their stealth level.

Example: A level 60 assassin with 7 Cat like tread and 10 shadow walk has a level of 84 in stealth. This means any player level 84 and above can see him.

An assassin level 66 with level 6 sharp observer has an awareness level of 84 and will see the level 60 assassin. At 65 he would only have 83 awareness levels and would not see the 60 Assassin.

Detection potions as taken from my testing and written in another thread:

This shows that they add 30 levels though the description says 20. Detection potions allow non-assassins to see stealthed assassin of their level or lower. A Level 93 archer using a detection potion will see any sin 93 and lower. He will not see a 94 or higher sin though.

Shadow Escape usage in boss fights:

Shadow Escape can be used to reset your threat level in boss fights against bosses that are not level 150. In order to reset your threat level the boss MUST be attacking you directly. If you just use Shadow Escape and the boss is not targeting you, it will NOT reset your threat level. I like to use this when doing BH. Note that in Twilight Temple all bosses are level 150 so this will not work in here.

Shadow Escape can also be used to pull monsters from a group. aggro the monster and run. Have another member of your squad grab the monster you want then you shadow escape making all the other monsters go back to their spawn point. Make sure your cleric knows not to heal you while you do this or the monsters.

Shadow Escape can also be used to do BH runs unwined. This is very tricky and requires an experienced team. The sin runs ahead of the squad getting aggro on every mob with the squad following behind. Once you reach a safe spot where no monsters are Shadow Escape and the monsters will reset. Again this is very difficult for people not experienced and for most this will just end in squad wipes.

Thanks, this really helped me with stealth, i tried stealth pking at my lvl, and well i lost my daggers.. so...now i know how stealth works, thank you
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    I have a Question... now does anyone know what the little red dots flying around level 70+ assassins dags are... i think its a buff
    Foxxel is correct, but there is also a couple of weapon buffs that seekers can cast that look similar. Purple is the only buff glow that comes to mind. Also wizards have a buff (Aqua Spirit I believe) and sins have a self buff (Condensed Thorn) that gives a white-ish blue watery glow, adding water damage to the weapon's hit.
    ~Spazz~
  • Trawne - Lost City
    edited March 2012
    Oh wow when did i get stickied? b:chuckle

I have pretty much gone into retirement and haven't played much in about a year but occasionally check forums. I will fix this up a bit though for you guys while i'm on and answer a few questions.
    What about level 11 shadow escape? o_o

Gives 11 stealth levels instead of 10 IJS

Please note at the time I wrote this, level 11 skills were not out for sins and psychics b:victory
    I think the setence is wrong:
    "at 78 could not see me. a 79 player could."

If oppositing side has the SAME detection as your stealth level, it DOES see you.

If you have 114 Stealth level, a one with 114 detection is able to see you. A one with 113 is not.

Thats why No one can see you with lv 11 shadow escape, because stealth lvl goes to 136, when all 105 sins got 135 awareness.

Edit: Other thing you might also like to know about stealth: Using triple spark knocks you out of stealth mode.

I rechecked that sentence and it is correct. my stealth level was 79, therefore a level 78 would not see me. You are correct 3 -spark does knock you out of stealth now. At the time of writing this was not true and sage/demon skills were not out :)

Edit: If anyone notices something I may have missed (dont know much about this latest expansion)please let me know. I'll check back in a day or 2 and add it.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Interesting that you're actually posting. This has been stickied for well over a year now.

If you have any questions about anything new relating to the assassin, or anything that has changed since your guide, just ask me, Empu, Olbaze, and a variety of other well-knowledged Assassins on these forums nowadays.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!