Should I?

Options
nanb0554
nanb0554 Posts: 25 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
So I am returning to my lvl 48 barb. I quit 2 years ago because I was with a high end guild spending $5K a month farming dungeons, owning all the land. It was to much to keep up with. Now, I am looking for a casual game. That is, I do not have my eye on farming dungeons, I just want to enjoy some PvE, lore, chat and get gold and materials off mobs and what not. I have not played since last Expansion.
Is it possible to play to end without the top epic armors and worrying about constant repairs? Or is this still "Reach cap, either pay or quit". type of game?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    nanb0554 wrote: »
    So I am returning to my lvl 48 barb. I quit 2 years ago because I was with a high end guild spending $5K a month farming dungeons, owning all the land. It was to much to keep up with. Now, I am looking for a casual game. That is, I do not have my eye on farming dungeons, I just want to enjoy some PvE, lore, chat and get gold and materials off mobs and what not. I have not played since last Expansion.
    Is it possible to play to end without the top epic armors and worrying about constant repairs? Or is this still "Reach cap, either pay or quit". type of game?

You were a lvl 48 barb and you spent $5,000 a month to farm? I think someone was farming you. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

Rule is same: "Reach cap, either pay or work(merchant) or quit".

If you don't want to be worrying about constant repairs you can play something like Cleric (need to heal and buff only), Venomancer (need to heal Pet), Mystic (same as previous), Psychic (best DPS for magic class).

Assassin is now OP for high level PvE but need money for his gear (as every other class).

Edit:
    And level cap now 105, you need great amount of money since 90+.
  • nanb0554
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Michael_Dark, The guild was paying, not me, that is why I wrote the compliment of the object direct: " a high end guild spending $5K a month farming dungeons, owning all the land" Obviously one person cannot own all the land, farm a dungeon... I am a 48 barb that played causally, and had my dungeons ran immediatly by my guild, so I had my gears and cultivations up to date. I had some cash on my account too to buy some costumes charms. Nothing fancy, the guild on the other hand... LOL! That is another story. Any ways, sorry you didn't read right.
  • nanb0554
    edited December 2011
    Options
    @MAgicsabre, IS this true with just regular questing? Like, can I hit cap, farm daily's, gather materials, and be ok?
    Or is it "Hit cap, must farm dungeons as other content is over and nothing gives enough money for regular repairs except selling merchandise"

I guess what I am asking: I am looking to log in, do some questing, enjoy the PvE, chat, gather basic materials. Is this possible later on (end game), or is it to expense to even PvE due to repair costs (forcing you to do the typical dungeon runs for mat selling). Are the mobs to strong later on that it is obligatory to get the top end gear??

Basically I do not want to get caught with the "armor/ dungeon" brain so many people have. , everyone logs in to get to end game and best armor. However, you can avoid all that and just do daily quests, collect gold, gather basic materials, enjoy some lore, and chat... in most mmorpgs...some however, make basic questing impossible due to mob difficulty at end game, therefore always forcing you into the system of "Guild up, invest time selling mats and farming dungeons"... Is it possible just to be the guy that logs in, do quests and "enjoy" the game? Or is it all paths lead to :(pay, merch, or quit)??
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    @MAgicsabre, IS this true with just regular questing? Like, can I hit cap, farm daily's, gather materials, and be ok?

"
    Yes, theoretically you can hit cap (105) by regular questing, performing dailies, etc.

But it will be long, long way.

FC and hyper leveling can help to do it faster.

Mobs and bosses are same at every level.

High level mobs have more hp than low level mobs, better skills (like your character).

Boss level 43 is same as bh mob level 60+, for example.
  • nanb0554
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ok, thanks. b:victory
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Michael_Dark, The guild was paying, not me, that is why I wrote the compliment of the object direct: " a high end guild spending $5K a month farming dungeons, owning all the land" Obviously one person cannot own all the land, farm a dungeon... I am a 48 barb that played causally, and had my dungeons ran immediatly by my guild, so I had my gears and cultivations up to date. I had some cash on my account too to buy some costumes charms. Nothing fancy, the guild on the other hand... LOL! That is another story. Any ways, sorry you didn't read right.

A guild spending $5k a month isn't a big deal, so I thought you meant you, personally. I know more than a couple dozen people that have put over $20,000 into the game... each. Lots more in the $5k-$10k range.

The game isn't really Pay to Win anymore, it's more like Pay to Stay Relevant these days.

If you have no desire to spend a dozen hours a day farming or merchanting on several accounts at a time, and/or spending bucketloads of cash, there's no point to even play this game really. You'll need to spend $3-$5 just to be average these days.
  • Aquyla - Heavens Tear
    Aquyla - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    hi. first off i would not play just barb till end of the game. barbs are least needed class in game atm. you would just be a buff baby and maybe go into tw. if you wanna play barb i suggest make also one alt that will farm gold for your repairs.

if you really want to play casually then it's a must. barbs and clerics are most hated classes here and if you just want to cool down after some tiresome run with bunch of power leveled people that don't know how to suppress aggro and die and then rage that it's your fault then made an alt which is fun and easy to play.

if you want to be the best you have to pay (rank 9 equipment), but you can always farm nirvana equipment if you have people to do it with which is in rank with r8 equipment (second best atm i think).

game economy is unbalanced i must say. if you're paying or you know how to merchant you'll do fine. if not... you can just grind for dq items and sell them or farm mats for apothecary.

hope i answered your questions at least a bit and welcome back b:victory
  • nanb0554
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Great, thanks for all the reply's/ I think I will cancel the download. I have no desire to be that dedicated to a game. And it is a pity the game has got to this point. Enjoy the game in the future, I hope they patch it up for you all and make a game that offers balance and easier on the pocket. (Seeing this is not addressed since China went to Malaysia, and finally here...and seeing that my lvl 40 on Forsaken world has hit that "Pay or quit" wall... I think I am blacklisting PWE all together).

Enjoy! To each his own, I think I will get back to some Skyrim to pass the time :) b:byeb:dirty
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Great, thanks for all the reply's/ I think I will cancel the download. I have no desire to be that dedicated to a game. And it is a pity the game has got to this point. Enjoy the game in the future, I hope they patch it up for you all and make a game that offers balance and easier on the pocket. (Seeing this is not addressed since China went to Malaysia, and finally here...and seeing that my lvl 40 on Forsaken world has hit that "Pay or quit" wall... I think I am blacklisting PWE all together).

Enjoy! To each his own, I think I will get back to some Skyrim to pass the time :) b:byeb:dirty

If you want something casual, I'd suggest any number of P2P games that have more users and a larger group of new players. It'll be way cheaper in the long run and if you decide to quit a year later you haven't spent $10k or whatever.
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Actually, if you want to stay isolated, do your quests, not worry about pvp or tw or anything it is quite possible. Since there are tokens readily available for not mcuh coin and you get DQ points to help you out with some basic stuff (like charms) you can theoretically play the game "the old way". Just don't expect to eb able to compete with R9 players or anything...
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    As long as you're not interested in PvP, you can easily play this game completely for free, without all that much effort.
  • nanb0554
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I might start download then. I liked the old way. I don't care to compete with the high gear folks. I have no desire to get emotional over PvP. I am totally comfortable to getting ganked as a noob and finding ways to log in late at night to avoid the killers LOL! It is kind of fun, I never QQ about getting ganked!
    I only QQ over bieng forced into end game "pay or quit" (bad game mechanics). I just want to be chatty with friends I meet, and quest ^_^. I mean, it is pixels on a screen, and I know my ***** is pretty big. I have no desire to compensate by spending money and getting gear to feel better. LOL!
    Any ways, See what happens. Thanks again for tips and what not.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Or is it "Hit cap, must farm dungeons as other content is over and nothing gives enough money for regular repairs except selling merchandise"

I guess what I am asking: I am looking to log in, do some questing, enjoy the PvE, chat, gather basic materials. Is this possible later on (end game), or is it to expense to even PvE due to repair costs (forcing you to do the typical dungeon runs for mat selling). Are the mobs to strong later on that it is obligatory to get the top end gear??

Basically I do not want to get caught with the "armor/ dungeon" brain so many people have. , everyone logs in to get to end game and best armor. However, you can avoid all that and just do daily quests, collect gold, gather basic materials, enjoy some lore, and chat... in most mmorpgs...some however, make basic questing impossible due to mob difficulty at end game, therefore always forcing you into the system of "Guild up, invest time selling mats and farming dungeons"... Is it possible just to be the guy that logs in, do quests and "enjoy" the game? Or is it all paths lead to :(pay, merch, or quit)??

Yes you can play like that. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. Basically they got the same mindset as you used to have, and because someonelse spent money on their gear they feel they have to do so as well. You don't. There is end-game gear you can get F2P. You can still farm mats in lothranis to make a bit of money for repairs, fun things like that. I know plenty of casual gamers and there is really no reason at at all it has to be that way. Play the game the way you want to do so and don't worry about what everyone else is doing and you'll be fine. There is no in-game mechanic whatsoever stopping you from leveling by grinding mobs. When they say barbs are not wanted, they mean their barb isn't wanted for farming high end dungeons for the best gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Shadowphreak - Lost City
    Shadowphreak - Lost City Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options

For a barb, it will be challenging after lvl 98 - Up to 98 you will be wanted to FC squads - After 98 no squads will want you for anything.

For me i didnt spend a dime on my sin until 9x when I needed cash for weapon/charms. I fc until 100, spent some more money for R8 and arhsura/lionheart gear. Now I dont spend ANY money. My sin solo frost in 30-40 minutes easily with no hp charms, and I either bring along faction members to level, or sell big room for coin.

All together I've spent probably $200 since Nov, 2009. If I never played a sin, I'm sure I would have spent considerably more. R8+ SINS finance everything.
    Evolution: Dungeon Master > Bards Tale > Ultima > Archlord > Perfect World

Leader of faction: REJECTED | Recruiting FUBAR players since 2010 |FREE BEER

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zarni - Dreamweaver
    Zarni - Dreamweaver Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It takes a long time to reach "endgame" the old school way, but is entirely possible (except levels 104 and 105, but that's another story....).

There aren't any mobs or dungeons in the game which require cash shopped gear. You can play casually, level and adventure at your own pace and pay for your repairs and skills with simple activities in game. To acquire adequate armor and weapons you can form squads to farm the required materials, manufacture your own gear or buy cheap molded legendary gear from other players who are upgrading their gears. You may have a hard time finding squads for some things, as most of the game population is either alts or powerlevelers, but with some patience and creativity anything is possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Yes you can play like that. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. Basically they got the same mindset as you used to have, and because someonelse spent money on their gear they feel they have to do so as well. You don't. There is end-game gear you can get F2P. You can still farm mats in lothranis to make a bit of money for repairs, fun things like that. I know plenty of casual gamers and there is really no reason at at all it has to be that way. Play the game the way you want to do so and don't worry about what everyone else is doing and you'll be fine. There is no in-game mechanic whatsoever stopping you from leveling by grinding mobs. When they say barbs are not wanted, they mean their barb isn't wanted for farming high end dungeons for the best gear.

Translation: You can play the game solo. Most people who aren't high level aren't playing their mains. Being a new user and finding friends is difficult, most users are already established and already have their cliques. You could get lucky, but you probably won't. You can give it an honest try, but insane gold prices, the lack of any real mid-level factions and most of the population already being end-game isn't going to make anything easy.

lol
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Translation: You can play the game solo. Most people who aren't high level aren't playing their mains. Being a new user and finding friends is difficult, most users are already established and already have their cliques. You could get lucky, but you probably won't. You can give it an honest try, but insane gold prices, the lack of any real mid-level factions and most of the population already being end-game isn't going to make anything easy.

lol

Michael has such a way with words :p
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray