I think that I'm in love Poleblade

Options
laisvis
laisvis Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Blademaster
I had seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19scYOX9t_4 video and I liked how poleblade bm was powerfull in pvp. Does it good choice to make non-aps bm, but poleblade as main weapon?
Post edited by laisvis on

Comments

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    That video is from 2009, early 2010. I'm not sure if he was fighting low levels or if it was just the gear back then was so poor but the damage output he has is pathetic. He's hitting people for 1400 damage and takinging half their hp. He's a level 100 BM and if he's fighting other level 100s today he wouldn't have the damage output to get through a charm tick.

Poles are useful. They're okay in pve. In PvE people will want you to have axes to HF every 30 seconds, the other 28 seconds are up to you. Fists have the best damage output and chi gain for a BM which is why they are popular. Its expensive, but it will reimburse itself by being able to farm more coin. In PvP poles are,... nice for a few skills but against any moderately geared person you would not be able to kill them. Ever. Poles just don't have the dps to get past a charm, or the spike damage axes have to jump a charm. For low level pvp or against undergeared people it'd be fine.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I was 1v1ing a bm who used poles.
    I think this was the stats he had on it.
    http://pwcalc.com/04841a6a6abaeeeb not sure if it was sacrificial strike or purge he had but he was hitting 1k-4k on me depending on debuffs etc.
    Yeah they wont compare on damage with claws or r9 axes but the damage output is still nice and they have some nice skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    LMFAO, it's a montage of ICE's GS+TE HUUURRRRDUUUURRRR. b:laugh
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    X_Rays - Sanctuary Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Actually, after the pvp dmg reduction, axe does not do much more damage than poleblade. Aside from fist, poleblade is perhaps the best 1v1 weapon due to better range and better skills. If you say you cannot kill anyone with a +5 Dance of Universe nowadays, then neither can you say that you can kill anyone with a +5 GX. And don't mention r9 axes because it's just not in the same platform of discussion.

If you mainly pvp, currently the best poleblade to get is the rank 8 recast pole with advanced purge and +2 meter range. But unless the devs introduce the rank 9 pole with GoF, the r9 axe is still much much better.

I highly support poleblade BMs as they're best with a skill-spamming fighting style. After carefully looking at Wizard's new skill Arcane Light, which shrinks after any auto attack, and overall the devs endeavors to nerf aps, BM's fighting style will slowly shift from fisting to skill-spamming. It's good that you enjoyed that video, but remember a good BM uses all 4 weapons. Axe for control, Pole for range, Fist for DPS, and finally Sword for showing Seekers who is the true BladeMaster.
  • Sjuggs - Lost City
    Sjuggs - Lost City Posts: 617 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Actually, after the pvp dmg reduction, axe does not do much more damage than poleblade. Aside from fist, poleblade is perhaps the best 1v1 weapon due to better range and better skills. If you say you cannot kill anyone with a +5 Dance of Universe nowadays, then neither can you say that you can kill anyone with a +5 GX. And don't mention r9 axes because it's just not in the same platform of discussion.

If you mainly pvp, currently the best poleblade to get is the rank 8 recast pole with advanced purge and +2 meter range. But unless the devs introduce the rank 9 pole with GoF, the r9 axe is still much much better.

I highly support poleblade BMs as they're best with a skill-spamming fighting style. After carefully looking at Wizard's new skill Arcane Light, which shrinks after any auto attack, and overall the devs endeavors to nerf aps, BM's fighting style will slowly shift from fisting to skill-spamming. It's good that you enjoyed that video, but remember a good BM uses all 4 weapons. Axe for control, Pole for range, Fist for DPS, and finally Sword for showing Seekers who is the true BladeMaster.

+1 b:victory
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Actually, after the pvp dmg reduction, axe does not do much more damage than poleblade. Aside from fist, poleblade is perhaps the best 1v1 weapon due to better range and better skills.
    But axes hit just as hard if not harder, so why bother refining another weapon? Just to be different?

End game BM is already skill spamming with R9 axes against most classes. Unless R9 pole comes, there will be no use of pole other than the once in a while FS.
    +1 b:victory

• Sjuggs - Lost City
    Sjuggs - Lost City Posts: 617 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    and who are you? b:puzzled oh yea not one of the thousands of sins out there who think they know everything about pvp, well we all wont CS that hard to get r9 axes like every fail does when they feel weak
  • JuFranz - Raging Tide
    JuFranz - Raging Tide Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    and who are you? b:puzzled oh yea not one of the thousands of sins out there who think they know everything about pvp, well we all wont CS that hard to get r9 axes like every fail does when they feel weak

b:chuckle Okeano already deceive so many people by using a sin avatar.

Okeano is one of the knowledgeable BM around b:laugh
    Previously: Level 100 BM and I still enjoy farming to upgrade my gears b:victory

Now: At 101 still continue farming b:shutup
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    b:chuckle Okeano already deceive so many people by using a sin avatar.

Okeano is one of the knowledgeable BM around b:laugh

This. and I believe freetoplay, also.

Xrays had alot of good points, the average damage of axes is much higher, the range of axes is much higher, you are much more likely to find zerk axes for zerk crits than a zerk pole, and pole skills tend to add a static amount (ie. +3912 damage) where axes get weapon damage + static amount, meaning better refines give axes an advantage when they already have an edge.

Poles are useful for ranging players, purging players, and GS proc. They should be used, but as of now I'd say a axe+fist are still the best combo.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The only reason CV poles were even considered a viable weapon back in 2009-2010 were because they were G13 and you could use the cheap attack charms with them. GXs were G11 and worthless against 10x. That would be the only argument at high refines a CV pole would have higher damage range than GX's. You shouldn't compare a G13 to a G11..

When you compare similar grade weapons same refine, axes will always out DPH a pole. Aside from the fact that GS had an auto crit proc back then when CC was still around, as buff effect registered before the hit... Axes naturally have the higher high and lower low. The best DPH weapon and best AoEing weapon a BM has.

The only reason I have a spear for these days in PK/PvPis for purging a very tanky buffed R9 or when I have no chi left the occasional meteor rush. Demon farstrike is rarely used as my R9 +12 axes will finish off a target before they can kite. And even when demon farstrike is used it will only hit like 10% of what my axes could hit.

I used to have a CV pole, but after getting G15 axes, I tossed it. Now my R9 axes make my G15 axes look like garbage, and the G15 axes are sitting in the bank because they're bound. The only end-game pole a BM should have is a purge pole.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ideally, in 1v1 (not group pvp):

Demon Meteor Rush (1.1 sec cast, +3912, 6 sec cd) > Fissure (1.7 sec cast, +3097, 8 sec cd)

Demon Farstrike (2.0 sec cast, 120%+4048) > Highland Cleave (2.4 sec cast, 100%+3233)

Not to mention demon meteor rush has 33% chance to stun for 5 sec, and demon farstrike can get up to 25meter range with a good pike. The slow effect of Fissure can be replaced by Ocean's Edge.

With enough range of a 7 meter pike, BMs can spam Aeolian Blade (5 seconds cooldown) + Meteor Rush (6 seconds cooldown) to stun opponents with ease without using any chi. Chi Chi Chi. Why mindlessly throw away 1 spark if you have a 66% chance to stun 3-5 seconds for every 5-6 seconds? Also, it is unfortunate to see many BMs trying to stun a wizard with Roar of Pride but gets locked for several seconds after the wizard blinks away right before channeling is done.

And rank 9 is out of my consideration.

My point made clear enough: Pole is more than just good, it's indispensable.

b:thanksAnyway see you in game. :)
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm not even sure why we are discussing pure axe / pure pole BM in PvP because I thought those didn't exist anymore since 2009-2010 due to G15 nirvana axes / R9 axes severely out DPHing any other BM weapon. And well, fists out DPS any other BM weapon.

But if there was some reason we could only choose 1 weapon in a 1v1, I'd still pick axe even if damage was the same for a couple of reasons.

I don't save chi unless I plan to use it; axes are where I can use it. Reliable stun-locking, with cool-downs matching perfectly so that roar CD is just enough to loop a 19.5 second stun-lock without any chance to fail unless it's by missing on drake bash or they immune. I'd rather keep the upper hand in a 1v1 knowing I am the one "controlling" the fight. Let's not forget that demon HF > demon GS as a 100% amp is better than a 50% debuff. Pure damage means nothing if you can't hold a reliable stun-lock against a kiting enemy.

In short... Even if we were to consider the damage relatively the same... full control skills > pure damage with chance to stun. I wouldn't consider pole required, but I would consider it useful for your given reasons, as I personally use meteor rush with my purge spear to stun/purge when I have no chi.

• Okeano - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options

Guess you'll have to be around the forums enough to know the irony of my avatar. I'm constantly bashing Sin while having been a Sin.
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm not even sure why we are discussing pure axe / pure pole BM in PvP because I thought those didn't exist anymore since 2009-2010 due to G15 nirvana axes / R9 axes severely out DPHing any other BM weapon. And well, fists out DPS any other BM weapon.

But if there was some reason we could only choose 1 weapon in a 1v1, I'd still pick axe even if damage was the same for a couple of reasons.

I don't save chi unless I plan to use it; axes are where I can use it. Reliable stun-locking, with cool-downs matching perfectly so that roar CD is just enough to loop a 19.5 second stun-lock without any chance to fail unless it's by missing on drake bash or they immune. I'd rather keep the upper hand in a 1v1 knowing I am the one "controlling" the fight. Let's not forget that demon HF > demon GS as a 100% amp is better than a 50% debuff. Pure damage means nothing if you can't hold a reliable stun-lock against a kiting enemy.

In short... Even if we were to consider the damage relatively the same... full control skills > pure damage with chance to stun. I wouldn't consider pole required, but I would consider it useful for your given reasons, as I personally use meteor rush with my purge spear to stun/purge when I have no chi.

I agree with you. If I could only pick 1 weapon I would go axe too. But I was not advocating for pole-only BMs. I was advocating for the viability of using pole as a main weapon, and axe/fist/sword as supplementary in 1v1. That ruled out the inability of reliable stun-locking since you can always switch to axe for a Drake's Bash when the time is right. Finally by no means am I saying that BMs who use axe as a main weapon are inferior.

I don't think that axe can have the so-called "reliable stun-locking" anymore in the age of genies. Let's talk about our archenemy, Wizards, for example. I spend 1 spark on Drake's Bash => Wizard uses Badge => Wizard blinks away => 1 spark is wasted => Now I have to catch him again in a 80% slower speed after getting hit by a glacial snare. Against kiters like wizards and archers, I find it more beneficial to stun them using Meteor Rush or Aeolian Blade first, then follow with the standard axe stun-lock. The idea is to have the opponent's Badge or any other anti-stun genie skill on cool-down before using 1 spark to cast Drake's Bash. The 5-sec stun from Meteor Rush is long enough to follow 2 skills after it, and in many cases the opponent will be pressured into using Badge to escape.

Again all this is just for argument's sake, since currently there is no pole that can compete with the terrifying rank 9 axe. 嘻嘻
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If one is to win the add lottery upon recast and get some pretty interval numbers the following polearm can turn such underlooked path into the most powerful one:

☆☆Glaive of the King: Eon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If one is to win the add lottery upon recast and get some pretty interval numbers the following polearm can turn such underlooked path into the most powerful one:

☆☆Glaive of the King: Eon

I don't know the difference in freeze effect between Thunderstrike and Square Formation, but they both look appealing.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd never take any of those stats on my spear over purge imo.

If I were to make a r8 recast weapon, I would make the sword because it has faster attack speed to proc freeze/paraylze + seal with when I have no chi left.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/32266

• X_Rays - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Word. Since the R8 recast fist has no unique add-ons like purge and zerk, sword is next in line. I don't know if any faction is doing recast runs it takes so much effort, might as well farm for reps for rank9... Though in China rank 8 recast is a big thing because there is no rep sale there.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd never take any of those stats on my spear over purge imo.

If I were to make a r8 recast weapon, I would make the sword because it has faster attack speed to proc freeze/paraylze + seal with when I have no chi left.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/32266

I'm going to sound like an "OMGapsPown" idiot for this but... 3 random -int add ons would take those to 1.33 aps base, potentially 3.33 sparked with R8 sword damage. I see -int has only a .0013 chance of coming up as an add on each chance (1/770), which is already ridiculously low before considering 3 of them and 1/51 the odds of most other procs. If you consider all three add on spots that 1/256 chance of getting one.

Did anyone else notice the error of Range +100-200, btw? That'd be epic. Stand at the banker and pk people in west...
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Never noticed the +100-200 range before lol. Kinda sucks that the r8 recast fists can't get any good adds otherwise it would probably have been more viable than Regicides. I think someone linked a screenshot of a r8 recast sword with GOF and double -int, sounds crazy rare, heh.

• X_Rays - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • FateBlade - Lost City
    FateBlade - Lost City Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Wow, I missed a good troll thread.

Pole is worthless except to debuff. In PvP, other than trying to debuff someone, it's purely for the lulz, just like trying to GS or MSS in PvP.

But, sometimes it's actually funny to kill someone because they died laughing at you trying to kill them with a pole.

And I think TheDan is spot on. Dance was only marginally a good PvP weapon back in 09 until people realized what you could do with Deicides. Dance and GX were the best weapons a BM had at that point, which was pretty horrible when you compared to everyone else. Lunar wand or bow totally outclassed any weapon a BM could get. BM only got a fair endgame axe when Nirvana came out, and then later R9 axes. Since Nirvana, +5 or even +10 Dance is about the same as GX. Non-factor, and insignifcant at end-game. I dunno about R8 recast stuff, but all of the G13/G15 poles suck, which is why you see so many carrying the 99 debuff.

I don't know how many times I've laughed at people for dying to GX. You die to axes la? lmao Because it's pretty bad if someone dies to GX at 10x.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.