R9 and Cloud Stir or 2 Sky Covers?

Options
Rawrarwrwrw - Dreamweaver
Rawrarwrwrw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Today two people on Loth were arguing about whether to use two Sky Covers or the R9 ring and a Cloud Stir/R8 ring for a full +12 Jade sharded Psy and I wanna know which is actually better?
Post edited by Rawrarwrwrw - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i think you might find more answers if you can post in the psy forum ;o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the answer is throw your wallet at your monitor and smash your face into the keyboard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Today two people on Loth were arguing about whether to use two Sky Covers or the R9 ring and a Cloud Stir/R8 ring for a full +12 Jade sharded Psy and I wanna know which is actually better?

There's a psy on my server sporting 2 +12 sky covers atm. Both rings give him a combined ~3100 extra p. def. He has more p. def than most wizards on the server. Combine that his seal buffs, retal buffs, etc, and I've seen him tank *multiple* demon sparked nirv dag sins @ the same time without breaking a sweat. (his ~40% seal chance doesn't make matters any easier)

A psy in black voodoo and a +12 wep can already kill just about anything he wants to, tbh. So I'd personally go with the 2 rings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd go with the R9 and Cloud Stir, you'd lose a nice chunk of M attack with Sky Covers. Could mean the difference between a charm tick and a kill, and personally I'd rather have a kill. A Psychic has Soul of Silence and other souls to use defensively, along with White Voodoo if they just really need to withstand a gank or whatever, so sacrificing magic attack just to gain some Pdef isn't something I'd go for.

Some people like that and more power to them, but I'll take more damage, thanks.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd go with the R9 and Cloud Stir, you'd lose a nice chunk of M attack with Sky Covers. Could mean the difference between a charm tick and a kill, and personally I'd rather have a kill. A Psychic has Soul of Silence and other souls to use defensively, along with White Voodoo if they just really need to withstand a gank or whatever, so sacrificing magic attack just to gain some Pdef isn't something I'd go for.

Some people like that and more power to them, but I'll take more damage, thanks.

2 +12 cloud stirs is around 20-25% less damage, id estimate. The 2 mag attk rings will barely give you 5% more damage. They don't give you 4 atkk lvls, either.

So it's actually giving up quite a lot of defense for just a little more offense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2011
    Options
    2 +12 cloud stirs is around 20-25% less damage, id estimate. The 2 mag attk rings will barely give you 5% more damage. They don't give you 4 atkk lvls, either.

So it's actually giving up quite a lot of defense for just a little more offense.

Actually you gain 14% more Pdef while sacrificing over 2k Mattack. The 4 attack levels don't make up for the Matk lost, and since you're also sacrificing 5 defense levels which is ~5% more resistance you're gaining about 9% Pdef in replacing your rings.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Actually you gain 14% more Pdef while sacrificing over 2k Mattack. The 4 attack levels don't make up for the Matk lost, and since you're also sacrificing 5 defense levels which is ~5% more resistance you're gaining about 9% Pdef in replacing your rings.

Assuming a psy has ~55% p. def unbuffed, and adding the 2 rings raises it to ~69%, then the total damage reduction is actually ~31% less physical damage taken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Shadowphreak - Lost City
    Shadowphreak - Lost City Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the Answer Is Throw Your Wallet At Your Monitor And Smash Your Face Into The Keyboard

+10000000000
    Evolution: Dungeon Master > Bards Tale > Ultima > Archlord > Perfect World

Leader of faction: REJECTED | Recruiting FUBAR players since 2010 |FREE BEER

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Assuming a psy has ~55% p. def unbuffed, and adding the 2 rings raises it to ~69%, then the total damage reduction is actually ~31% less physical damage taken.

I'd still much rather be able to end someone one hit sooner, because otherwise they could have time to resist it somehow or stun/seal you and you end up drawing the fight out a bit longer. A R9 Psy is already gonna survive well, why not go for as much damage as possible?
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of pattk rings for the pdef refines, but I've also never seen rings that were quite as worth it as the PQ rings. I think both of you have good points, it's just a matter of if someone chooses to augment defensively or offensively. For what it's worth, I'd go with the +12 pattk PQ rings if money was not a factor.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    For psychics getting R8 / R9 rings doesn't give any soulforce. So having 2 +12 sky covers will add like 5k more soul force which helps them do damage in other ways. Personally I'd get the sky covers and switch to rank rings as the situation demands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I recorded a quick video on my troll/silver pool spy char, of a full +12 psy using 2 sky covers for p. def.

In this video, he tanks a full +12 R9 wiz, R8 cleric, +10 R8 archer, and a +10 R9 sin. What's impressive isn't that he tanked them - (although he did do it without cleric or barb buffs), but the length of the stun, as well as the archer and sin being completely incapable of doing any damage to the psy.

At :09 seconds into the video, the wizard takes a full 15 second stun. At :45 into the video, the archer takes the same 15 second stun. It may look like they went afk due to the video quality, but they are actually stunned during this entire time.

The psy is demon, so he has over 40% chance to proc his seal. The sin comes in, but spends the majority of the time sealed.

The 2 +12 rings make a significant enough difference in defense/stun time during ganks.

Watch here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I recorded a quick video on my troll/silver pool spy char, of a full +12 psy using 2 sky covers for p. def.

In this video, he tanks a full +12 R9 wiz, R8 cleric, +10 R8 archer, and a +10 R9 sin. What's impressive isn't that he tanked them - (although he did do it without cleric or barb buffs), but the length of the stun, as well as the archer and sin being completely incapable of doing any damage to the psy.

At :09 seconds into the video, the wizard takes a full 15 second stun. At :45 into the video, the archer takes the same 15 second stun. It may look like they went afk due to the video quality, but they are actually stunned during this entire time.

The psy is demon, so he has over 40% chance to proc his seal. The sin comes in, but spends the majority of the time sealed.

The 2 +12 rings make a significant enough difference in defense/stun time during ganks.

Watch here.

Hmm... fair enough that they make a difference in ganks, but would the attack power lost be worth it in every situation?
  • Adorable - Harshlands
    Adorable - Harshlands Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    hey Burn, couldn't read the psy's name but something tells me it's our famous hardcore farmer DeityOfRain/letsdance? : )
    Since 2008
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2011
    Options
    hey Burn, couldn't read the psy's name but something tells me it's our famous hardcore farmer DeityOfRain/letsdance? : )

Who else has double +12 sky covers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Adorable - Harshlands
    Adorable - Harshlands Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    True : )
    I shouldn't have even asked that.
    I wonder what he farms that much to earn such moneyz in such compact times.
    Must be 3-2 gold wrists mat, judging by the most of his WC shouts.
    I do really have enough respect for that guy since ages ago.
    He's a farming idol : )
    Since 2008