Just a few questions...

Lelouu - Sanctuary
Lelouu - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Cleric
I was wondering, I'm prepared to spend loads of game money/zen on making a cleric or what ever it takes to level a cleric easier/faster/what ever...

But I've had some concerns...

Is the way people treat clerics that bad? I've heard they are treated terribly - not by ALL obviously but by enough to discourage some people! I've noticed most of the community to be helpful... So I was just wondering... xD

Now with leveling... I always see a Cleric with another while questing - is that always so? Besides the obvious elite quests...

And any advice you'd be kind enough to give me - nothing lengthy or something I could find in a guide - but if there's anything I should know...

I don't know a Cleric in-game just yet... So I'm sorry if these questions are 'nooby' or what ever... I was curious about these things!

I've always played as a healer in most of the online games I've played and I wanted to try it out on PWI.
Post edited by Lelouu - Sanctuary on

Comments

• DuckTapez - Archosaur
    DuckTapez - Archosaur Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I was wondering, I'm prepared to spend loads of game money/zen on making a cleric or what ever it takes to level a cleric easier/faster/what ever...

Is the way people treat clerics that bad? I've heard they are treated terribly - not by ALL obviously but by enough to discourage some people! I've noticed most of the community to be helpful... So I was just wondering... xD

Now with leveling... I always see a Cleric with another while questing - is that always so? Besides the obvious elite quests...

And any advice you'd be kind enough to give me - nothing lengthy or something I could find in a guide - but if there's anything I should know...

I don't know a Cleric in-game just yet... So I'm sorry if these questions are 'nooby' or what ever... I was curious about these things!

I've always played as a healer in most of the online games I've played and I wanted to try it out on PWI.

a lot of other players simply just don't appreciate clerics b:surrender they ought to try playing one
    being a cleric is not an easy job, everyone screws up at some point and, even if the fault isn't yours, the cleric often gets the blame
    there are even instances where you might find a fail tank that insists you do things their way
    there's really no way to win in said situations...if you do what they say and squad wipes you get yelled at; don't do what they say and you still get yelled at
    there are definitely more of those out there that understands and gives the cleric the respect they deserve though b:cute for me the praises i get more than make up for the handful of ill-tempered players

as for low-level questing...
    clerics do not always squad with someone else, clerics can hold their own very well (partly thanks to heals) but many find that it is much easier to quest with someone else because the mob gets killed faster: clerics aren't bad at DDing...quite the opposite actually, but they aren't the best around either (although at lower levels clerics do find themselves dealing more damage than many other classes that are seen as the traditional DDs)
    or much of the time it's actually the other person that sends a squad request b:laugh heals, buffs, rez...everyone could use a bit of cleric while questing

just my personal experience...others may have different opinions
    but for me, playing a cleric was definitely rewarding, a bonus is that clerics don't cost a lot of money to maintain or gear...compared to many other classes that is; PWI is still bent on sucking every penny out of you regardless of class b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Duct tape is like The Force: bright on one side, dark on the other. It holds the world together, and, if not handled correctly, becomes a sticky mess.
  • BadDesires - Harshlands
    BadDesires - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I find that the leveling of a cleric is rather tedious especially in the lower levels. I hate the grinding on mobs, it is so boring, cyclone - plume shot - ih and a bit of kiting, rinse and repeat for hours. As I have a higher-level sin too, I got me hypers and had the sin kill basilisks in the southwest corner of the map. This helped getting like 20 levels or so.

Also, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a hyper fcc session once in a while to speed things up. As long as you don't do it exclusively. I suggest that you run every dungeon level at least ten times to learn group dynamics, class roles and boss behaviour. Also, when you have outgrown a dungeon level, you should help lower levels to do it - as you will be helped with yours by higher level players. You will need to have appropriate gear for running the dungeons of your level, and you will have to level your skills.

I have never been treated badly, even when someone in my squad died. Which was their own fault anyway in most cases. :) If you learn how to play and try to get it right, people will love to have you around.
    I used to play PWI until I took an arrow to the knee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    dive in and experience! >:O just like all of usb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    well basically what the others said,

gotta be strong ;o thought i find tht ppl have gotten lesser rude/ with clerics
    then they used to do but idunno o=

if yu need any help/advice yu can always pm me ingame if yur cleric is on sanc, im mostly bored ,helping on low lvl bhs or just chatting so yu can pm me anytime ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • MBz_i_NL - Sanctuary
    MBz_i_NL - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    really tbh its not all that bad. just find a friendly faction and you are good.
    also remember, you are the one holding the power of life and death and you can always leave squad whenever you want, you don't have to take any **** from others ;)

the only thing that makes some ppl act mean to clerics is because if a cleric sucks, it stands out waaaay more than when, say a veno sucks.

so play good and other will appreciate you and your class.

edit: hmmm no idea why forum doesn't show my lv100 cleric in my avatar :S but this is feedback from a person who played cleric as main for 3+years
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Cleric's are kind of the princesses of PWI. They are the most likely person in a squad to ragequit over simple criticism. I play a cleric and can take advice, it makes me a better cleric and usually the DDers/tank know what they'll need from a healer so I listen to them, but I notice some players are too scared to comment to the cleric because so many rage quit. I've let many horribad clerics just do their own thing rather than give advice because bad healing was better than no healing.

That being said, cleric's are also the first to get raged at when things go badly and do have to stand up for themselves. Good cleric's get tons of respect, bad clerics get raged at. That's how it is for any class. Nowadays cleric's have a bit of support in the squad with mystics and bloodpaint so all the blame can't be put solely on the cleric.

Anyways, you mentioned solo questing. Cleric's can solo almost anything its just not time efficient because our DD isn't on par with other classes. It's close, but not the same. Melee class DD rules in pwi because attack speed grows exponentially and since the game has been around for a while gear ahs gotten to the point that any class can tank anything, so its better to duo up with a second person for farming/questing.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    really tbh its not all that bad. just find a friendly faction and you are good.
    also remember, you are the one holding the power of life and death and you can always leave squad whenever you want, you don't have to take any **** from others ;)

the only thing that makes some ppl act mean to clerics is because if a cleric sucks, it stands out waaaay more than when, say a veno sucks.

so play good and other will appreciate you and your class.

edit: hmmm no idea why forum doesn't show my lv100 cleric in my avatar :S but this is feedback from a person who played cleric as main for 3+years

in the top left corner, where your icon is it should say edit your avatar right next to it. From there you can pick which character to post on, they don't pick one automatically and just use a generic forum avatar so people can choose which character to be identified with. If they want to be identified at all.

If something goes wrong in squad, the cleric or the tank are almost always blamed. The cleric is usually the first one to get raged at. Not by all, not even by a lot of people. But it's a regular enough occurrence that you'd want to consider squadding mostly with friends/guildies as opposed to randoms.

Also, as a cleric you just tend to notice bad runs more than other classes. Other classes will see that you kept them alive, and their charm didn't tick, and think it was a good run. Meanwhile, you've gotten really frustrated and used up a LOT of potions to ensure that it happens because you have to heal all over the place. And so it ends up being a lot more frustrating, and a lot more expensive than it should have been. So you might think to yourself, what a terrible run. While they are thinking to themselves, what fun! Just keep that in mind, that since you're job is to notice every mistake and keep track of everyone's health bar; you're naturally gonna see the mistakes and get frustrated. Just don't sweat the small stuff, and learn to take charge and being a cleric really isn't that stressful.

You can solo your normal quest mobs just fine. MOst of the time when i'm on my cleric, people will invite me rather than the other way around. Because of the obvious advantages of buffs/heals. I accept because of the obvious advantages of the speed at which they kill.

In the bubble boss at FC, stand on the opposite side of your squad. If they are spread out, go to an area they are not but close enough you can purify anyone of em. If the boss turns towards you, spark. You can often resist being bubbled/slept by doing this.

When aoe grinding, do so on poison mobs. The Orchid petalis in the 70s, the Mothran Dazzlewings in the 80, Lethal Araneid Sharpfang 90+. IH stack yourself around 3-4 times. Jump on a mount or use holy path and gather a bunch into a tight circle. Purify any poison, heal yourself again an then let loose with aoes. Don't forget to purify in between aoes.

Anytime someone is going to do a big pull, and wants you to BB. Try to wait if you can until they are beginning their journey back to yuo. While they are running towards the mobs, ih yourself. When they turn, immediately plume shell (if phys mobs) and then start channeling BB. Make sure it's up before they get there. IF you have the time for this it can save you from a bad pull without the need for absolute domain. This mostly applies to 75+

If a squishy is running from a single mob, sometimes you can use your seals to sleep it and then heal them.

Get holy path as soon as you can, it will be your best friend ever.

That's what the cleric forum is for, good luck in game! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Cleric's are kind of the princesses of PWI. They are the most likely person in a squad to ragequit over simple criticism. I play a cleric and can take advice, it makes me a better cleric and usually the DDers/tank know what they'll need from a healer so I listen to them, but I notice some players are too scared to comment to the cleric because so many rage quit. I've let many horribad clerics just do their own thing rather than give advice because bad healing was better than no healing.

That being said, cleric's are also the first to get raged at when things go badly and do have to stand up for themselves. Good cleric's get tons of respect, bad clerics get raged at. That's how it is for any class. Nowadays cleric's have a bit of support in the squad with mystics and bloodpaint so all the blame can't be put solely on the cleric.

This so hard. Especially the first paragraph.

And Clerics are well respected if they do their job right. I always tend to friend good clerics and invite them to squads. Finding smart DDs is abit harder since alot of aps toons seem to focus more on DDing and less on making sure the cleric doesn't catch aggro. For the most part, play your class well and you will be fine and gain praise. You seem to have a background in healing classes from other MMOs which assumes you understand squad dynamics. You will more than likely do fine.
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    honestly i havnt had many bad experiences >.>

i think the forums are used to vent alot so its just natural you hear a ton of horror stories.
    No ones really gonna go their way to post their 'normal' experiences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • StreamElf - Sanctuary
    StreamElf - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    honestly i havnt had many bad experiences >.>

i think the forums are used to vent alot so its just natural you hear a ton of horror stories.
    No ones really gonna go their way to post their 'normal' experiences.

Same here.. Yeah.. Once in a while you're in a fail squad, but most of the time everything just goes smooth (:
    8x Cleric (Sanctuary)
    6x Veno (Sanctuary)
    5x Assasin (Harshlands)
    3x Archer (Sanctuary)
  • LaLeLoo - Sanctuary
    LaLeLoo - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    The disrespect for clerics has decreased in my opinion. Or perhaps at higher levels the disrespect for cleric decreases, mainly because you are mostly around people who know what they are doing for the most part. More people will respect you, than those who will disrespect you. The only people who have yelled at me were the sins or squishy BMs who would charge in a crowd and expect to get healed before they drop like a fly. Or those who do not have aggro and expect heals. If you run into these type of people just laugh and find another squad.
  • Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver
    Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Yes, people can be jerks - especially in random squads. However, one poster suggested running instances over and over to get squad dynamics down, very goood idea. Try running a bit with EACH of the classes; some like high dex build classes will pull aggro away from the tank occasionally and you need to know what to do for your squad when it happens. Also, best advice I can personally give a beginning cleric is: be up front with your squad if you are unfamiliar with an instance, and ask for advice from others who can guide you a bit. And, join a NICE faction that will be patient and advise you when you need it -a little gentle encouragement goes a long way towards building your confidence when the lives of 5 squad members depends on you..at least partially. Once you are more confident you can stand up to the bullies that try to blame clerics for stuff like a death. Best of luck to you...I LOVE being a cleric myself!