edited November 2011 in General Discussion
Whats the best class for leveling solo? Both damage and survivability
Post edited by PaganMagick - Archosaur on

Comments

• Princess_Rya - Harshlands
    Princess_Rya - Harshlands Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Whats the best class for leveling solo? Both damage and survivability

Mystic --> Pet Tank and you DD or heal self or pet ..

Venomancer --> same things but can heal only pet
    b:cute
  • Lenestro - Sanctuary
    Lenestro - Sanctuary Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    sin

/5chars
  • Malord - Heavens Tear
    Malord - Heavens Tear Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    5.0 wizard.
    Fashion Mastery

"The skill for fashion tailoring. A master who is proficient in
    producing fashion can make the most eye-catching, colorful clothes around!"
  • Yami_ - Dreamweaver
    Yami_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Venos and Mystics, people say that WB is easy too but I never played with one.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Trolls aside, I'd still call the venomancer the only self sufficient solo class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Trolls aside, I'd still call the venomancer the only self sufficient solo class

That's because you either haven't used a mystic, or didn't even get one to at least level 75, therefore, opinion is invalid.

If a player knows how to use an archer in PvE properly (excluding TT soloing), you can actually play through just about all of PvE with rarely even using pots, even if you do use some pots, it won't be the ones you buy anyway, I got my archer to 80 on pw-ms and never once bought a single pot and had several hundred in my bag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
    edited November 2011
    That's because you either haven't used a mystic, or didn't even get one to at least level 75, therefore, opinion is invalid.

If a player knows how to use an archer in PvE properly (excluding TT soloing), you can actually play through just about all of PvE with rarely even using pots, even if you do use some pots, it won't be the ones you buy anyway, I got my archer to 80 on pw-ms and never once bought a single pot and had several hundred in my bag.

Made a mystic on day one EG appeared, mystic which is 86 atm, thank you very much. Mystic is a great second choice, but the op wanted a best choice, really. Factoring that the op wanted a character to easily level from scratch to decent levels (post 80 is still moderately high in my book for a person that is new and enjoys playing the pwe aspect of the game), I stand by what I said: mystics will be asked to become healers in most newbie bhs ( the op did say he wanted solo leveling,but still, bh after 40 is a daily), mana management issues in the start, whereas venos rarely need mana/hp pots, buffs or anything confusing to do inside a bh. That being said, I do confirm the awesome potential of a mystic :more versatility, great attack on pets and, in some situations, better grasping of a tough situation, but I do not consider mystics a great self sufficient class for the beginner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I have to agree with DeffyNature,

My mystic is 98 and I love it. However, when it comes to tanking higher lvl bosses, our summons is way too squishy. If you throw in an AOE boss, we are screwed.

While mystics are a great addition to any squad because of our debuffs and aoe skills, as solo tank... veno has us beat imho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Made a mystic on day one EG appeared, mystic which is 86 atm, thank you very much. Mystic is a great second choice, but the op wanted a best choice, really. Factoring that the op wanted a character to easily level from scratch to decent levels (post 80 is still moderately high in my book for a person that is new and enjoys playing the pwe aspect of the game), I stand by what I said: mystics will be asked to become healers in most newbie bhs ( the op did say he wanted solo leveling,but still, bh after 40 is a daily), mana management issues in the start, whereas venos rarely need mana/hp pots, buffs or anything confusing to do inside a bh. That being said, I do confirm the awesome potential of a mystic :more versatility, great attack on pets and, in some situations, better grasping of a tough situation, but I do not consider mystics a great self sufficient class for the beginner.

Unless the squad needs you to pull. I've seen venos who have no clue how to do that.b:surrender
  • Jin_Wang - Lost City
    Jin_Wang - Lost City Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Anyone can solo when it comes to how you play your character, not the class. Also using a discipline genie, leveling it with exp to get holy path. Save your spirit to get to quests much faster. They are the top.

Venomancer- Cheapest, you don't have to do much as long as you have a pet (even easier as a tank pet) with highest level pet heal. Other things are a plus, they excel in survivability.

Mystic- Again, not really having to have to do much and make sure you prioritize healing, more importantly, I heard mystic summons take more damage than venomancer's pets.

Barbarian- High HP is the reason why they make top 4 classes and can cancel magic attacks, they may be one of the characters that deals the 2nd least damage (they can still do respectable amount of damage).

Blademaster- It depends on what you are using, fists/claws are the cheapest route to finish quests, however swords have a balance of DPS and range/knockback. Good to keep off certain pure melee mobs when you're killing archer type mobs. Spears are the same with ranged attacks, and AOE knockback, while axes/hammers are for AOEs. They can do many things.

Assassin- Trust me, as overrated assassins are, they can level pretty fast when you know your routes. The point is on lower levels, you could just use puncture wound and make yourself not get hit as much. As for other skills such as tackling slash, you gain chi really quickly.

Archer- Always a good idea to keep up stunning arrow, frost arrow and knock back arrow for kiting and take aim for an opening attack.

Mages- They are alike, but you have to use your movement on these, prioritize healing and attacks that slow and immobilize, so you won't get hit much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cexylady - Lost City
    Cexylady - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Anyone can solo when it comes to how you play your character, not the class. Also using a discipline genie, leveling it with exp to get holy path. Save your spirit to get to quests much faster. They are the top.

Venomancer- Cheapest, you don't have to do much as long as you have a pet (even easier as a tank pet) with highest level pet heal. Other things are a plus, they excel in survivability.

Mystic- Again, not really having to have to do much and make sure you prioritize healing, more importantly, I heard mystic summons take more damage than venomancer's pets.

Barbarian- High HP is the reason why they make top 4 classes and can cancel magic attacks, they may be one of the characters that deals the 2nd least damage (they can still do respectable amount of damage).

Blademaster- It depends on what you are using, fists/claws are the cheapest route to finish quests, however swords have a balance of DPS and range/knockback. Good to keep off certain pure melee mobs when you're killing archer type mobs. Spears are the same with ranged attacks, and AOE knockback, while axes/hammers are for AOEs. They can do many things.

Assassin- Trust me, as overrated assassins are, they can level pretty fast when you know your routes. The point is on lower levels, you could just use puncture wound and make yourself not get hit as much. As for other skills such as tackling slash, you gain chi really quickly.

Archer- Always a good idea to keep up stunning arrow, frost arrow and knock back arrow for kiting and take aim for an opening attack.

Mages- They are alike, but you have to use your movement on these, prioritize healing and attacks that slow and immobilize, so you won't get hit much.

well said, and i completely agree 100%
  • Cdabeast - Heavens Tear
    Cdabeast - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Unless the squad needs you to pull. I've seen venos who have no clue how to do that.b:surrender

ONCE AGAIN!!!! I'VE FOUND YOU!!!! MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the op, go with veno. They make it look easy.

Edit: No game has a perfect balance, and you forget that barbs and bms tend to get hurt at later levels because most monsters ALSO have a long-range magic, which is just about how they ALWAYS open up a fight, thus you lose a decent bit more health than you would if they never used that said magic. Those in magic defense oriented armor don't have to worry about them coming up and swiping them, and even then, they'd only swipe the pet in the first place, so venos and mystics have a major advantage in solo play, simply because they aren't the ones that are doing the fighting. And to top it off, venos can get hurcs. They're so tanky they made me look bad, so I'd say veno any day.

I mean, let's be honest. A barb or bm caught with 2 or 3 monsters on him at once is not gonna walk out of that with above 50% health. I used to get mad as hell because there would be enemies shooting magic at me that I'd want to kill, but if I left the one I was fighting, it'd start using magic on me. -_-
    edited November 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »

Most venos are a disgrace, sadly, everyone used to say that venos are the easy way to play, and that is true if you do not take full advantage of your class.
    Yes, I have seen venos that had no clue how to pull, not to mention spaming venomous like hot cakes, very few use or even learn,for that matter, amplify damage, and almost none have a clue about myriad rainbow.
    To maximize squad input damage, for instance, I go foxform-amp-pet magical debuff-human form-ironwood and genie amp together, ideally syncing with HF...but people are really puzzled when they see myriad, usually when it proc they are amazed of how great they are for getting awesome crits :/...oh wellb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    For solo leveling only, especially when cost is factored in, nothing is going to beat the cleric. And not even including them in the list, that's pretty bad.

Clerics can solo a group of 20+ mobs with generic +1 or 2 gear that they wear on a regular basis. Outfit them in some specialized, bought from AH, crappy lvl 70 gear and watch the number they can solo sky-rocket. Factor in how cheap it is to 4 socket the gear, and equip it with cheapy elemental gems no one wants anyways, and you've got a character that can solo 30-40 mobs at once. Also keep in mined they can still join in as a healer for group things, and have nearly nearly 0 repair cost even after multiple runs. Oh yeah, cleric wins hands down.

Other classes will likely be able to solo the same later on, but by then you're not leveling anyways. You're already at end lvl.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    in my experience psy lvl extremely fast at lower lvls killing regular mobs. way faster than any chars i have ever made. but that's just me tho. i just dont like to play psy but they kill fast.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Seekers FTW. IMO.

On a seperate note:
    For solo leveling only, especially when cost is factored in, nothing is going to beat the cleric. And not even including them in the list, that's pretty bad.

Clerics can solo a group of 20+ mobs with generic +1 or 2 gear that they wear on a regular basis. Outfit them in some specialized, bought from AH, crappy lvl 70 gear and watch the number they can solo sky-rocket. Factor in how cheap it is to 4 socket the gear, and equip it with cheapy elemental gems no one wants anyways, and you've got a character that can solo 30-40 mobs at once. Also keep in mined they can still join in as a healer for group things, and have nearly nearly 0 repair cost even after multiple runs. Oh yeah, cleric wins hands down.

Other classes will likely be able to solo the same later on, but by then you're not leveling anyways. You're already at end lvl.

I for one would like to know how you do this (AOE solo) and on mobs who aren't magic? Seriously. I have 2 alt Clerics. If you are talking about using Tempest, you don't get it till higher levels and the other AOEs don't seem to do enough damage ... at least on equal level mobs.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited November 2011
    Seekers FTW. IMO.

On a seperate note:

I for one would like to know how you do this (AOE solo) and on mobs who aren't magic? Seriously. I have 2 alt Clerics. If you are talking about using Tempest, you don't get it till higher levels and the other AOEs don't seem to do enough damage ... at least on equal level mobs.

Pretty easily, and most classes don't do any real AoE soloing until later. Going pure magic makes it easy to work your way up, can do generic poison mob grinding as needed and level similar speed to other classes. It's when you reach the first petali that it becomes easier.

Should be hexakiss petali as the first really good ones, and you should be close to getting Tempest lvl 1 by then. Keep Tempest/Razor Feathers maxed to lvl and have purify at least lvl 5 when you can get it there. Move on to Orchid Petali. Here is where the number gets bigger, 23 grab wasn't hard to do even when people actually quested. With servers as they are now, you can pretty much take everything.

The Chipmonqs or Cadevils after. After them it's the lvl 96 spiders. The spiders are nicely enough in quantites where you can grab 30-40 pretty easily.

Search the forums for Sylvae from Sanctuary with keyword poison. It should be near the last page of the thread on Razor Feathers. It has a guide going further in detail.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

• ZackMystic - Harshlands
    ZackMystic - Harshlands Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    this is a very good topic, i recommend like others to try venomancer or mystic, although venomancer may be slightly cheaper due to the fact that mystics with charms can usually farm and level really fast. Try veno first id recommend b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    78 Mystic ZackMystic
    95 BM ZackBlade
    Retired in March 2012, thx DarkNova for the fun.
    Exiirah made this purely awesome signature b:pleased Many thanks to her
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    My veno is 102 leveled very old school. Mystic pwns it (if you're adept at playing, not if you think you're going to be spam healing a pet)
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Pretty easily, and most classes don't do any real AoE soloing until later. Going pure magic makes it easy to work your way up, can do generic poison mob grinding as needed and level similar speed to other classes. It's when you reach the first petali that it becomes easier.

Should be hexakiss petali as the first really good ones, and you should be close to getting Tempest lvl 1 by then. Keep Tempest/Razor Feathers maxed to lvl and have purify at least lvl 5 when you can get it there. Move on to Orchid Petali. Here is where the number gets bigger, 23 grab wasn't hard to do even when people actually quested. With servers as they are now, you can pretty much take everything.

The Chipmonqs or Cadevils after. After them it's the lvl 96 spiders. The spiders are nicely enough in quantites where you can grab 30-40 pretty easily.

Search the forums for Sylvae from Sanctuary with keyword poison. It should be near the last page of the thread on Razor Feathers. It has a guide going further in detail.
    Thx for the info. I know about the Petali, was quite impressed by Clerics who were doing it a couple of years ago while I was doing the area on my Veno. I thought you had some system for handling physical mob too.

This is one of the reasons why Clerics aren't ideal soloers, they are very restricted on the type of mob they can AOE solo and at what level at least compared to say, Seekers.

I personally prefer playing my Cleric(s) in a support role in squads and developed my skills primarily for that purpose. My Seeker, Veno and Mystic are far better at soloing a variety of instances than the Cleric which is most effective on Magic mob.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited November 2011
    Thx for the info. I know about the Petali, was quite impressed by Clerics who were doing it a couple of years ago while I was doing the area on my Veno. I thought you had some system for handling physical mob too.

This is one of the reasons why Clerics aren't ideal soloers, they are very restricted on the type of mob they can AOE solo and at what level at least compared to say, Seekers.

I personally prefer playing my Cleric(s) in a support role in squads and developed my skills primarily for that purpose. My Seeker, Veno and Mystic are far better at soloing a variety of instances than the Cleric which is most effective on Magic mob.

Clerics are hindered by having only certain mobs they can farm for xp, but that doesn't matter in regards to this thread. It is asking the best for solo leveling. Granted a full mag cleric can still solo some instance, I solo farmed my TT60 weapon that way, but for leveling purposes it doesn't matter if a class can do an instance better or easier. The only way that would have any bearing, is if there was more exp from doing that instance. And the level one needs to be to solo a BH usually puts someone outside that BH level range, or nearly end game anyways. And at endgame, there currently isn't alot of leveling going on due to lvl cap.