?is true botting even possible in pwi?

CheetahWoods - Raging Tide
CheetahWoods - Raging Tide Posts: 257 Arc User
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
was just thinking about this as i saw that thread about reporting a bot.

i farm hard and people have asked if i was a bot. my response leaves zero doubt in their minds LOL. no bot could be that crabby and snarky when responding. if i could lawnmowerman them through their monitor i would.

but, [and i'm not looking for the details of how to do it, i dont even want to know actually, even if it truly is possible], i want to verify officially if there truly is a way for people to bot and they actually have some kind of macro/program or w/e they do to automate their bot.

legends, anecdotal evidence, hearsay and rumor go a loooong loooong way, especially when children and idiots are in the mix of a free for all, i mean free to play MMO.

i saw a true bot in that other 10 year old MMO that has a monthly fee and elves that live in a giant tree and u die if u fall too far.
this thing was farming those um(been a while) like flame essences in northrend from those fire demon things. it was a DK and it would get hung up in the rockwork sometimes. i used to steal its kills to mess it up until it got hung in the rockwork by going for the fire demon i left on the other side of the rockwork and ganked all his ez2get mobs. there was no doubt that there was no human behind the wheel because it would dork out for a long time hung in the rockwork.

i have never seen anything as automated as that in PWI, and the fact that people see a pro farmer optimizing every aspect of efficiently killing mobs that they call me a bot is really quite a complement now that im thinking about it.
Hmmmm, maybe they should send me money in gratitude that they witnessed the awesomeness [snicker face goes here, maybe 2 of them even]

but the fact remains, that they have never seen a true bot.

also, i have not seen every corner of pwi so i really dont know myself. i guess that's why i'm asking now lol. TIA 8D
Post edited by CheetahWoods - Raging Tide on

Comments

• John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    With servers as barren as they currently are its not unusual for them to go completely unnoticed.

Ive seen a good few in the desert over time, although the popular time when medals were DQpoint buyable has passed and there are fewer now.
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is "Google will find you the answer in a heartbeat"

And I suggest this thread will be sent to the depths very quickly.

I'd add that I have seen very few characters who even *might* be using these bots actually in game.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i want to verify officially if there truly is a way for people to bot

Of course it is. All MMO"RP"Gs that I have seen so far are trivial to play for a bot; all it takes is some work to analyse the software so your patch can see the scenario (at a high level, where a monster is still a monster and not just a bunch of polygons and textures) and issue commands.

Maybe (I have no idea how they usually do it) they don't even bother patching into the client --- we are talking client/server here, so the bot could be the client. In that case, they'd have to analyse the wire protocol, and probably the map data (I don't think the wire protocol bothers telling you what the map looks like, it's probably just placing the monsters and items).
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Any game will always be bottable, even if ALL processing was done server side (including graphics) and the server only tells you what your screen looks like, it's still possible by analyzing pixels etc and simulating keys pressed and mouse clicks.

But for most games it's simply a matter of analyzing either 1) the game's code, or 2) the packet traffic. Then injecting a dll, modifying the client, or inserting asm code into ram for (1) or write a bot client for option (2).

There is no way to make a client unbottable. It can only be made hard to do.

The only wya out would be to have a company person watching you as you play. Or second best, having enough GMs in game to verify to the best of their abilities whether a player is acting human.
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    unless you can bot nirvy, or tt 3-3, why bother

i bet i can merch more in an hour, then a bot can gather from dq and coins
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    unless you can bot nirvy, or tt 3-3, why bother

i bet i can merch more in an hour, then a bot can gather from dq and coins

But someone could bot like 6 clients and doesnt need to be even remotely on-key to obtain the cash. You have to return to make price changes and the like.

Bet someone could bot more in 72 hours of being absolutely AFK than you could.
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    But someone could bot like 6 clients and doesnt need to be even remotely on-key to obtain the cash. You have to return to make price changes and the like.

Bet someone could bot more in 72 hours of being absolutely AFK than you could.

i have made over 100 million in 72 hours more then once, being afk

perhaps they could, but i can do it legally
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • p36459
    p36459 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    OP - I used AutoHotkey for a little bit with a lowbie sin at Wave Breaker Cliffs. Mobs don't aggro until attacked and the drop rate on hay was decent. It was a nice way to make some coin while at work especially during double drops.
  • snufalufaguss
    snufalufaguss Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    How can botting even be effective in PWI? Mob drops are terrible... or are they farming herbs or something other than drops?
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Back in the day when there was no BH, leveling was only done with killing mobs. So setting up a bot to run 24/7 could level up your toon quite fast.

I never did it but found and ticketed quite a few in the early days of PWI.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.