is f2p even possible anymore?

2»

Comments

• CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    soo... it seems to me pwi is doing there best to make it p2p, well not all of us can offerd that, so prices are dropping, so farming is becoming harder, merchanting is becoming harder because pwi is trying there damn right best to stop it, whats the options? how do we earn money anymore? any ideas?

F2P isn't possible. Merching will 99% of the time produce losses.

The ones that do are hacking LUADs...b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    F2P isn't possible. Merching will 99% of the time produce losses.

The ones that do are hacking LUADs...b:cute

you my friend, dont know how to merch b:bye
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    hes being sarcastic.... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited November 2011

Somehow, losing all my coin save for 2m one night when I was supposed to get 12m normally, would turn me away from it.

Sending in a ticket didn't do anything either. It's when I lost faith in merching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
    edited November 2011
    Somehow, losing all my coin save for 2m one night when I was supposed to get 12m normally, would turn me away from it.

Sending in a ticket didn't do anything either. It's when I lost faith in merching.

not sure what your referring to

did you misprice an item ?

i have done that a few times, but the profits far outweigh my occasional losses
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited November 2011
    not sure what your referring to

did you misprice an item ?

i have done that a few times, but the profits far outweigh my occasional losses

With merchanting, I've always double-checked prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    merchant is 100% better then the farming where you need aps and no brain.

aps aps aps OMG so lame.

the day i feel for the f2p who farm with aps is the day aps itself dies i kinda like cash shoper more then make yet another lame aps toon just to make money and anything else.
  • Envelope - Raging Tide
    Envelope - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Is f2p even possible anymore? the answer depends on what you define as "f2p".

As several people have been pointing out already, you can earn everything you need with merchanting, provided that you have good merchanting skills, and enough time available. It is, theoretically, possible to do without any real money. For some people, that might be enough and you could say f2p is still possible.

For other people however, and that's including myself, it is not very convincing. Because over all that money, being real or ingame money, people fail to see the real problem. Let me ask you: Why do i have to buy everything with money if i want to stay competitive? Levels, gear, skills, potions, refines, sockets, shards, genies, mounts, fashion... it seems all of this can only be obtained if you have money. If you have money, you can level fast, gear up fast, learn skills fast, buy all sorts of pots, get all fashion you like. If you don't have money, you can hardly do anything.

What i'm trying to say is that actually playing the game won't really get you anywhere. You can go do quests... grab a few friends and run some low level TTs or do PQ... farm herbs, mats... do warsong for fun... whatever. At the end of all this, see what you got, and compare it to what you will need. The difference is slightly depressing, if you ask me.

Sure, you can just grind a while for coins and DQ to get some basic stuff... but on the long run, not being able to pvp and not being able in to Nirvana/TT3-x farming groups etc... while constantly watching others surpass you within a few weeks, can sure get frustrating. So if that is what you mean by f2p, then no, its not really possible anymore.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    That's fine, I'm just not the type of person to have a computer on solely for making coin in a MMO.

Is that really a factor? b:shocked

Since I got cable internet, I have only shut off my computer if I was going out of town or if I was doing a hardware upgrade/rearranging my stuff. It's been pretty much the same for the rest of my family/friends for about the last 10 years.

My question is serious because you're not the first person I've seen make a comment like that. I really didn't think that leaving a computer on was actually a big deal anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    soo... it seems to me pwi is doing there best to make it p2p, well not all of us can offerd that, so prices are dropping, so farming is becoming harder, merchanting is becoming harder because pwi is trying there damn right best to stop it, whats the options? how do we earn money anymore? any ideas?

Same thing as always --- you don't do any of the things that don't work.

Basically, I'm playing 100% solo --- so no gear pressure, no money pressure, nothing. I'm not trying to compete with anyone about anything. If they can get from A to B in no time and slash through bosses faster than I can cast a spell, so be it. They are playing a different game. I've also stopped trying to be a trade mutant; in games with horrible trading features like PW I don't even try buying or selling anything.

Of course, that also means most of the game isn't accessible --- most dungeons I have never entered, those that I have entered are only accessible until the first boss, maps that are unlocked by bosses are not available, I have a very limited selection of skills etc. I wear what I find, and I do the stuff that I can handle --- at lvl 83 there isn't really anything to do anymore, so it's primarily WQ while ALT-TABbed out of the game. Occasionally I kill 60 whatevers for some cash, a chance of getting an item to wear, DQ drops, materials, and currently also to level my pets.

I've been playing as free player for years, in various games. Perfect World isn't anything special, if you want to roll with the crowd you have to pay and/or play 24/7. Unless you can bring your own "crowd", of course (which I can't).
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Same thing as always --- you don't do any of the things that don't work.

Basically, I'm playing 100% solo --- so no gear pressure, no money pressure, nothing. I'm not trying to compete with anyone about anything.

Doing this on my alts and having alot of fun.

Really, I log one, go out and quest and if I get camped by a pker, I log that one out and log another one.
  • SadieMae - Lost City
    SadieMae - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    F2p is possible, if you've more time than money. If you work full time and have more to do than PW, you probably won't be very successful at this game.
    I've come to the conclusion that most "merchanters" spend as much real money as anybody else. They just won't admit it, lol.
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    This game is far from p2p. In fact, as long as you farm, it PAYS YOU to play it.

The best farmers can bring in an average of up to $2 an hour. That's over 2 million coins/hour at current gold prices.

The only reason to CS is to avoid farming/save time.

I think 99% of PW players can earn more than $2 an hour in RL. So why grind at sub minimum wage rates when you could do a normal day job and buy zen. More efficient.

Farming is not worth it unless you can't make more than $2 an hour in RL. If you want to work for $2 an hour, go ahead and let everyone know how math challenged you are. You don't need a credit card. You can buy PW game cards just about everywhere.
    Just some guy
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Most people are here to play a game while they're home from work or school. That is all.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I've also merchant loads of coins in the past, and I'm really not impressed by it, it's easy, but boring and even annoying at times.
    Quite true, actually. It's easy, kinda boring, and often annoying.

Unless there was at least some thrill at logging in and finding out how much profit I'd made today, I think I'd probably have given up on it a long time ago, so I can understand why not everybody wants to do it.
    What i'm trying to say is that actually playing the game won't really get you anywhere. You can go do quests... grab a few friends and run some low level TTs or do PQ... farm herbs, mats... do warsong for fun... whatever. At the end of all this, see what you got, and compare it to what you will need. The difference is slightly depressing, if you ask me.
    If you look back in the forum archives, you'll find I was saying pretty much your exact words back when Anniversary Packs first came out.

Merchanting went from being a side hobby that could help you pay for basic in-game necessities, to the undisputed best/fastest way you could accomplish anything in-game, without actually ever playing the game.

Even though I enjoy merchanting, and I'm pretty good at it, I still agree the game was a better game back when you actually had to play it.
    F2p is possible, if you've more time than money. If you work full time and have more to do than PW, you probably won't be very successful at this game.
    I've come to the conclusion that most "merchanters" spend as much real money as anybody else. They just won't admit it, lol.
    Heh... a common accusation, actually, though I don't hear it nearly as often as I used to. b:chuckle

My counter-argument has always been that if it's true, and we're lying, then we're the biggest idiots on the planet. What idiot would spend $2,000 on a game, then use it to buy a bunch of stuff he/she won't use, just so they can leave it all sitting in an anonymous shop?

As for how much time is spent merchanting, I spend far more time reading and posting in the forums than I do anything else. Merchanting is far, far, FAR, faster at earning coins than grinding or farming could ever hope to be, which is why I do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • CheetahWoods - Raging Tide
    CheetahWoods - Raging Tide Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Be smart and find a way to make money and learn to adapt to new ways.

It's just a matter of being smart b:surrender

there you go. the second post of the entire thread basically just ended the thread.

i do great making money, and basically do exactly what the quote says
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    "pick up keys"....? what keys are you referring to?

and when you say BH1, which do you mean? ui have to ask, because nowadays everyone calls things by names i dont recongise as an old player....b:sad

i dont do anything in game except stand around, pick up keys, and do bh 1... and i make on average 5-10 mil a week. (from drops in bh and rewards from bh 1) and i do bh 1 on 2 level 100 characters (just fyi)
    this is more than enough to be f2p

edit: you wont get things as fast as people who p2p BUT... it is called patience
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • SadieMae - Lost City
    SadieMae - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Heh... a common accusation, actually, though I don't hear it nearly as often as I used to. b:chuckle

My counter-argument has always been that if it's true, and we're lying, then we're the biggest idiots on the planet. What idiot would spend $2,000 on a game, then use it to buy a bunch of stuff he/she won't use, just so they can leave it all sitting in an anonymous shop?

I did say "most" mechanters. Of course there's exceptions. I know some people who say they make a lot of money buying packs (with cash) then opening them and making items from the tokens. They think that making flawless shards (at 14 tokens each) and selling them for 160k is making a huge profit. They forgot that they spent 50 silver (the equivalent of approx. 600k coins) to buy the tokens in the first place. Other players I've talked to say how they buy fashion with gold, then sell for coins. Either way, that isn't "making coins" in the game.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Most people are here to play a game while they're home from work or school. That is all.

This applies to me.

I'd rather spend the ~3-4 hours a night and my weekend playing, doing FCC, BH, or TT, instead of farming mats, killing mobs for DQ, or similar.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • CheetahWoods - Raging Tide
    CheetahWoods - Raging Tide Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    warrenwolfy is lucky i am not on his server. ijs [evil laugh face goes here]

and i'm prob'ly lucky he isnt on mine [snicker face goes here]
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I cash shop here and there and not used a single gold for gameplay enhancements as it is too much of an improvement in gear. FTP is 100% possible, start doing the real quests and do real instances instead of dailies.
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    I did say "most" mechanters. Of course there's exceptions. I know some people who say they make a lot of money buying packs (with cash) then opening them and making items from the tokens. They think that making flawless shards (at 14 tokens each) and selling them for 160k is making a huge profit. They forgot that they spent 50 silver (the equivalent of approx. 600k coins) to buy the tokens in the first place. Other players I've talked to say how they buy fashion with gold, then sell for coins. Either way, that isn't "making coins" in the game.
    Ah, that's true. I'd forgotten about those kinds of "merchants".

In that case, I admit I have to agree with you, because the number of people who do nonsensical, money-losing transactions in order to convert real-life dollars into in-game coins is kinda staggering.

I remember one time overhearing (overreading?) a public conversation in West Archo where a woman was trying to buy Chest of Coins because she needed money. At the time, Gold was at 250k, so she was losing 250k every time she opened one, plus the extra cost she was paying a cat-shop for the Chest of Coins. But that was her method of generating "income", and she was determined to continue doing it that way.
    warrenwolfy is lucky i am not on his server. ijs [evil laugh face goes here]

and i'm prob'ly lucky he isnt on mine [snicker face goes here]
    Heh... Sanctuary is already kinda a no-holds-barred merchant knife-fight. You're welcome to join in the blood-bath if you'd like. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    is f2p even possible anymore?

No, not realistically.

Unless you can play 12 hours a day or more every day for half a year.

This game is so old, player base is getting so stagnant, making profits is harder than ever and without a nice pot to start with (100k isn't really good enough to start merchanting anymore), then you'll most likely need to cash shop some of your end-game gear to be taken seriously at 90+.

Sure, you can do it, it's just not worth the time and effort, and by the time that time and effort pays off, servers will be empty.

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited November 2011
    This game is so old, player base is getting so stagnant, making profits is harder than ever and without a nice pot to start with (100k isn't really good enough to start merchanting anymore)
    I find profits are higher than in the past, actually, and I still have plenty of people sending me thank-you PMs claiming they just went from nothing to their first 10m, 50m, 100m, etc..., thanks to merchanting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011

Heh... Sanctuary is already kinda a no-holds-barred merchant knife-fight. You're welcome to join in the blood-bath if you'd like. b:chuckle

you should join in on RT, west arch is a merchanting gladiator arena 0.o
    i swear we have 100 pack merchants here
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    uhh to the OP yeah make more lvl 100 alts do bh runs get lucky off mirs,x2 xtc,or excitement cards..lol works for me..and and freakin wine your bh,s..its a gamble but in my days i have hit the jack pots on book drops..spend 200k to make millions..yeah awsome.Get crafting skills up..make armors,weapons etc to sell in a catshop,catshop to have is so awsome,patience equals coins,herb farming is another key to wealth MILLIONS due to TW.

i think without my catshop lol i would be a sad man.i leave it running unless i get a DC...always something to sell,im pretty well established in the what can sell good department and that takes time..so gl.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I find profits are higher than in the past, actually, and I still have plenty of people sending me thank-you PMs claiming they just went from nothing to their first 10m, 50m, 100m, etc..., thanks to merchanting.

Well, profits may be up a bit since there are less players playing (and merching). But that's a bit offset by the fact that there are very few things that you can make really good coin at that a dozen other people aren't trying to do as well. So, I'm sure coin profits could be up, but there are far fewer people playing and gold prices are much higher.

My point was that if you play a lot, you may still be able to do well, but you're not gonna fund full end-game in months like you used to be able to.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.