How I see PWI Maint

Options
taratulip
taratulip Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
It's not bad enough that PWI has WEEKLY maint on my day off. But, they also love to throw in weird server shut downs and updates...

This is how I think a "day in the office" goes for them. Feel free to post your own.

Monday:

Diana: "man.. I hate coming to work! We never DO anything but listen to players cry and complain!"

Doug: "yeah, but, it's okay! TOMORROW is Maintenance!"

(Diana feels better)

Tuesday:

Diana: "YAY! Maintenance day! Who's bringing what?!"

Doug: "I'm bringing PIZZA! Server will be shut down for at least an HOUR! Woo Hoo!"

Diana: "hey, shouldn't we be doing something?"

Doug: "nooo!! it's Maintenance!"

Wednesday:

Diana: (hungover) "that was some drink you made! what do we do today?"

Doug: "more listening to players QQ about how we don't work..."

Diana: "oh, AGAIN?"

Time moves on for the people at PWI and then comes Friday... Saturday.. Sunday.. then...

Diana: "OMG why did you call me in?"

Doug: "um, we have some serious server issues that need to be fixed!"

Diana: "it's my day off! Is it serious?!"

Doug: "well, some issues came up that were supposed to be fixed on TUESDAY but, you know... pizza just sounded better!"

Diana: "no worries! let's just shut down the servers!"

Doug: "okay! what do you want on your pizza?!
Post edited by taratulip on

Comments

• Mr_Punkster - Dreamweaver
    Mr_Punkster - Dreamweaver Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    taratulip wrote: »
    It's not bad enough that PWI has WEEKLY maint on my day off. But, they also love to throw in weird server shut downs and updates...

This is how I think a "day in the office" goes for them. Feel free to post your own.

Monday:

Diana: "man.. I hate coming to work! We never DO anything but listen to players cry and complain!"

(Diana feels better)

Tuesday:

Doug: "I'm bringing PIZZA! Server will be shut down for at least an HOUR! Woo Hoo!"

Wednesday:

Time moves on for the people at PWI and then comes Friday... Saturday.. Sunday.. then...

Doug: "well, some issues came up that were supposed to be fixed on TUESDAY but, you know... pizza just sounded better!"

b:laugh b:laugh b:laugh
    lvl101 Legit archer...not 1 hyper used or multi-FC
  • Radamanthys - Heavens Tear
    Radamanthys - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    +1 to this thread
  • CheetahWoods - Raging Tide
    CheetahWoods - Raging Tide Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    the money meter isn't at the level the greedy upper management would like to see after last week's fail sales
    (not USA employees, gm's or mods, they have ZERO POWER OR INFLUENCE ON THE TRUE NATURE OF THIS GAME. you poor naive children need to understand this, including you poor naive usa employees)

so they will do maintenance a day early to try and correct that.

also, thanksgiving week should be some special stuff like 2x drops/exp

they need a big week. so they need to put like 6 different packs on sale and whatever else they do.
  • taratulip
    edited November 2011
    Options
    the money meter isn't at the level the greedy upper management would like to see after last week's fail sales
    (not USA employees, gm's or mods, they have ZERO POWER OR INFLUENCE ON THE TRUE NATURE OF THIS GAME. you poor naive children need to understand this, including you poor naive usa employees)

they need a big week. so they need to put like 6 different packs on sale and whatever else they do.

I'll fix this post for you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Diana: "Why did you call me in on a Sunday?!"

Doug: "The NUMBERS aren't there! Management wants more SALES!"

Diana: "So, how do we fix that?!"

Doug: "We just shut the servers down, put up some good sales and hope people buy, buy, buy!"

Diana: "Awesome!..type type DONE.. what do you want on your pizza?"
  • Kweer - Sanctuary
    Kweer - Sanctuary Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This was only mildly amusing. I thought there was going to be a punchline, but it kinda fizzled out.

Work on your writing skills, broski.
    b:nosebleed ಥ_ಥ PWI Follower since Jan '08 ಥ_ಥ b:nosebleed
    RisenPhoenix - 100 - Demon- Cleric - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - 100 Barbarian - Sage - Sanctuary
    Nakhtuul - 100 Blademaster - Demon - Archosaur
    Nakhtuul - 8x Seeker - Sage - Archosaur
    Kehrendorh - 100 Archer - Demon - Archosaur
    /\pollo - 7x Cleric - Future Sage - Sanctuary
    Kweer - 7x Assassin - Future Demon - Sanctuary
    edited November 2011
    Options

way to come off sounding like an idiot
    This was only mildly amusing. I thought there was going to be a punchline, but it kinda fizzled out.

the punchline is....they have pizza again vs any fixes

I thought is was quite humorous myself.
  • Kweer - Sanctuary
    Kweer - Sanctuary Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options

You know...I know the USA isn't exactly the best country in the world (nor the smartest). But we sure in the hell managed to dominate the entire planet for over 100 years, since inception. Stop ragging on 1 particular country, no one is perfect. So why don't you get off your high horse there, get educated and stop sounding like a complete moron? IJS.
    b:nosebleed ಥ_ಥ PWI Follower since Jan '08 ಥ_ಥ b:nosebleed
    RisenPhoenix - 100 - Demon- Cleric - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - 100 Barbarian - Sage - Sanctuary
    Nakhtuul - 100 Blademaster - Demon - Archosaur
    Nakhtuul - 8x Seeker - Sage - Archosaur
    Kehrendorh - 100 Archer - Demon - Archosaur
    /\pollo - 7x Cleric - Future Sage - Sanctuary
    Kweer - 7x Assassin - Future Demon - Sanctuary
  • taratulip
    edited November 2011
    Options
    gosh, thanks, Mr Punkster. I was just trying to have some fun...

and yes.. the punchline is Pizza.

some people...
  • _Quaz_ - Archosaur
    _Quaz_ - Archosaur Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lmao, you really think they would've made you stick to the game and make tons of money by grabbing their arses with their 2 hands? Your post is funny but I hope that's not really what you think xD
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lmao, you really think they would've made you stick to the game and make tons of money by grabbing their arses with their 2 hands? Your post is funny but I hope that's not really what you think xD

it's probably something called humor...then again for all we know it could be true as well
    b:chuckle
  • genotypist
    genotypist Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    We really do love our pizzas. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Life is short...Bury! Steady Sword!"
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »
    We really do love our pizzas. b:laugh

What kind of pizza?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Yeah, maintenance.

It's funny how apparently NO game-maker takes this into account.

There are a few issues common to ALL games that I've seen so far. From the user perspective, it's the lack of a proper indicator on the client. Thing is, there is no reason for the client to not being able to retrieve status information even during maintenance, if they want it. It could be via a separate server that is queried by the client whenever the connection fails, or it could be an alternate "login" server that gets swapped in when they shut down the real ones.

However, why DO they need "maintenance" at all? Backups? These can be done while things are running. Unless they want proper "full" backups or something similar, which only takes a few seconds if the software isn't prepared for that: take down the servers, make a snapshot, start the servers again, backup the snapshot. If the software is prepared for making backups they don't even need to shutdown the servers --- they'd just tell the relevant servers (DB, probably) to close and flush their files, make a snapshot, and continue operation without ever anyone noticing (depending on how well the software handles the snapshotting it may appear to 'hang' for a few seconds since it might not be processing any requests until it's in full operation again).

Ok, so how about software updates? Just a few seconds, again. Basically the same procedure: put the new software onto the server machine, into a different directory. Shut down the running server, rename the old software out of the way, rename the new software into the proper place (you can skip these steps if the actual pathnames don't matter, but for the sake of having stupid software I'll just assume it does), start the new server.

Basically, minimize downtimes by considering the standard cases (I'm not complaining about servers going offline for some noticeable amount of time because their CPU board breaks down or something like that), and implementing the software/operating procedures accordingly.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • chuckybug
    chuckybug Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Diana: "Why did you call me in on a Sunday?!"

Doug: "O, I forgot next week is my vacation!"

Diana: "So, what?!"

Doug: "Lets just do the maintenance tonight, the boss won't know!"

Diana: "You mean we are going to **** up thousands of ppl"

Doug: "What do you think my vacation or thousands of ppl? "

Diana: "Ya, you are absolutely right, but pizza is on you"

Doug: "what topping you like, half a dozen max. "
  • Annastasia - Lost City
    Annastasia - Lost City Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    taratulip wrote: »

Monday:

(Diana feels better)

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

+1million
    as if the random monday maint wasnt enough.
    i give PWI customer service an F rating.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    +1million
    as if the random monday maint wasnt enough.
    i give PWI customer service an F rating.
    gotta remember they kinda do get pushed around by the chinese peeps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    gotta remember they kinda do get pushed around by the chinese peeps

Just replace Japanese with Chinese and you get a discussion between the American PWI guys and the devs b:laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G30gIjZWKk b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • genotypist
    genotypist Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    What kind of pizza?
    Prosciutto Watercress and Eggplant is the only thing we can agree on.

If you break it down into teams:
    Jalapeno peppers and Dried tomatoes is a favorite
    Feta cheese and Wild mushrooms is quickly catching on
    Bacon, Onions and... Icing is a perennial option, though some pick out the Bacon and replace it by tossing on some Walnuts.
    finally there's Egg, Sausage and Olives... though it's kind of niche flavor.

We're currently trying out a new flavor: BBQ chicken and Lobster, but it's really out of left field based on what we usually order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Life is short...Bury! Steady Sword!"
  • MyCatShop - Dreamweaver
    MyCatShop - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options

The punchline was what do you want on your pizza.
    Wtf! I am level 11! Hear me roar!! b:laugh
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Just replace Japanese with Chinese and you get a discussion between the American PWI guys and the devs b:laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G30gIjZWKk b:cute
    this might suit the american taste b:pleased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09hBuy1mFQ&feature=related
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sverdet - Heavens Tear
    Sverdet - Heavens Tear Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »
    Prosciutto Watercress and Eggplant is the only thing we can agree on.

If you break it down into teams:
    Jalapeno peppers and Dried tomatoes is a favorite
    Feta cheese and Wild mushrooms is quickly catching on
    Bacon, Onions and... Icing is a perennial option, though some pick out the Bacon and replace it by tossing on some Walnuts.
    finally there's Egg, Sausage and Olives... though it's kind of niche flavor.

We're currently trying out a new flavor: BBQ chicken and Lobster, but it's really out of left field based on what we usually order.

BLASPHEMY!!!!b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sverdet ~ Lvl 100 Seeker; Rank 8