Mystic Tanks???

glucose77
glucose77 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Mystic
Can Mystics be classified as tanks?

Surely a Devil Chinryu that is continuously healed by the summoner would last just as long as a barbarian or blademaster.
Post edited by glucose77 on

Comments

• violetvalor
    violetvalor Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    One might think so at first, however, the Devil Chihyu tends to have insufficient HP, defenses, and dps to hold aggro to be able to tank.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    My mystic can easily tank SoT with a cleric. Pets are crappy as tanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Corallyne - Dreamweaver
    Corallyne - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    It's all in how you look at it. Most mystics do not use their pets to tank. I use him when I am soloing/tanking FC, but my actual mystic can withstand more damage then a pet. I prequently tank FC/Warsong Pulls. It's not uncommon for me to have aggro of 3 mobs all at once.
    Granted, I'm a lvl 101 r8 mystic, but still. Mystic pets tend to be too squishy since they take after the mystic themselves. If your mystic was LA or HA, it'd stand a better chance of being able to take damage. The AA versions are much too squishy.
  • Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver
    Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    As a cleric I was helping a friend with her bh. The other squad members were a veno, a barb, mystic, a blademaster, and a sin. When I stoned in I asked the squad who was tanking, because I wanted it clear that was who I would be primarily healing, the mystic was one of the lowest lvls and insisted on the job. After BIG issues and constantly having near squad wipes he was booted and a seeker was brought in. No issues after that. Not saying a mystic can't tank (although he died several times just a few minutes into the cave and got other squad members in trouble too), but I think they are much more suited to a DD/support healer role. JMO, but that is my one and only experience with a mystic tanking any instance...maybe others have had better experiences?
  • PheosNyx - Sanctuary
    PheosNyx - Sanctuary Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    When I did pq I found it more effective to tank with my mystic; however, at 86 I have found that devil can hold aggro on ? bosses pretty easily (no apsers to deal with at this level range). I just keep his mana full and have him use his primary skill all the time. I often tank bishop boss and adalwolf in fcc this way, leaving the cleric free to debuff and aoe heal when necessary.
    Ling__Tong 101 bm ~ PheosNyx 103 wiz ~ Arande 100 HArcher ~ xXxKuro 100 barb ~ AnselTyme 101 cleric ~ lukeFONfabre 96 seeker ~ Tori_Anzu 90 mystic ~ KateiiHimura 95 veno ~ Artemaeus 58 psy. Playing since April 2009.
  • Xyrika - Archosaur
    Xyrika - Archosaur Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    In terms of surviving a Myst can tank all magic using bosses, BUT in terms of agro it will be really hard to keep agro.. When I play with a friend of mine all his chars tend to steal agro and they are up to 10 lvl below me..
    I would say stick to the DD/healing part.. If needed you can tank but in most cases other classes will steal agro. Seeker is an exeption if he sticks to using skills (Vortex excluded).
  • Mayatheia - Heavens Tear
    Mayatheia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    mystics are support class, not tankers. If they have to tank they can do it (depends on their gear) but they are not a primary tanking class. Their pets are also not designed to tank. They can do it if its necessary (most of the times) but they are not hercs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When people walk away from you, let them go... your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you.. and it doesn't mean they are bad people.. It just means that their part in your story is over...
  • Scuzeme - Dreamweaver
    Scuzeme - Dreamweaver Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Mystics are a support class and though they hit hard as arcane, our skills do not draw aggro.
    (AS+Thicket)
    I can tank the lower level instance up to 79 with the exception of pole and nob.
    I have R8 gear as well as Phy def gear (selfbuffed 7k phy def).
    I feel comfortable in support class and my mystic is fun to due with. But I leave the tanking to the HA class.
  • Mayatheia - Heavens Tear
    Mayatheia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i soloed eden and tanked 2nd boss in aba, if we have to we can do it, but its not what mystics are supposed to do, ijs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When people walk away from you, let them go... your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you.. and it doesn't mean they are bad people.. It just means that their part in your story is over...
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    As a cleric I was helping a friend with her bh. The other squad members were a veno, a barb, mystic, a blademaster, and a sin. When I stoned in I asked the squad who was tanking, because I wanted it clear that was who I would be primarily healing, the mystic was one of the lowest lvls and insisted on the job. After BIG issues and constantly having near squad wipes he was booted and a seeker was brought in. No issues after that. Not saying a mystic can't tank (although he died several times just a few minutes into the cave and got other squad members in trouble too), but I think they are much more suited to a DD/support healer role. JMO, but that is my one and only experience with a mystic tanking any instance...maybe others have had better experiences?
    A tiny bit off topic, but why the heck did you (and the others) even consider allowing the Mystic to tank when you had a Barb b:shocked?

Furthermore why was it even necessary to bring in a Seeker after the Mystic was booted?

The only plausible explanation I can see is that the Mystic had the best equipment, leveled skils and stats (the others powerleveled and with newbie equipment and skills?) and probably WAS the best choice for tank in the squad.

Oh another possibility is that perhaps you are a fail Cleric? I have a Cleric and when I go into mid level BHs, we rarely talk about who is Tank because it is almost impossible to predict who is going to steal aggro. I just learned to switch IH fast and even stack IH in advance. In some places you just throw up BB because of all the aggro ping pong.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Oh another possibility is that perhaps you are a fail Cleric? I have a Cleric and when I go into mid level BHs, we rarely talk about who is Tank because it is almost impossible to predict who is going to steal aggro. I just learned to switch IH fast and even stack IH in advance. In some places you just throw up BB because of all the aggro ping pong.

A fail cleric also just switches with just IH and doesn't use wellspring first. b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver
    Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Viper_girl I tend to totally agree, actually. I was appalled at the barb NOT tanking especially since he was six lvls higher than the mystic. But, it was not my bh - I was there to help a friend who happened to be in squad - they could'nt find a cleric; wasn't my call to make. When he proved he couldn't do the job he was booted. The seeker was brought in to make sure everything went smoothly since a few of the other squad members were friends of the Mystic - and 2 others left after he did becaue they got mad about him being kicked - one was the barb who seemed to be asking how high to jump when the mystic said "leap". Since you have never ran with me in an instance and know nothing of my cleric abilities I think its rude to just spout insults. But, I totally see your point, and I was pretty uncomforatable with the decision for the mystic to tank the instance. Sometimes you gotta let ppl make mistakes; maybe they won't make the same ones again. The people I routinely run with would have never chosen to run an instance this way. But, with randoms you get what you get, and I was not abandoning my friend - I was there to make sure she and the other squad members survived...but mostly her.
    edited November 2011
    A fail cleric also just switches with just IH and doesn't use wellspring first. b:shutup

I agree with you that sometimes you need Wellspring first and sometimes it is better to use SoR. I have all 3 maxed and on my F1-F3 keys to use as I see fit. But often if you watch what is going on and see a Mob switch aggro, or perhaps the Veno Pet dying etc, you can pre-stack an IH before the Mob even hits the player and it is necessary to Wellspring. I am of the camp where it is better to overheal than not, and I am not afraid to tick my MP charm.

Viper_girl I tend to totally agree, actually. I was appalled at the barb NOT tanking especially since he was six lvls higher than the mystic.

I apologize if I was rude. I was just amazed at the ridiculousness of situation you described. I would not have stood for it.

I guess live and learn, lots of crazy squads out there. b:chuckle
  • Rich_Rahl - Dreamweaver
    Rich_Rahl - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    First let me state that I am not a nice player and have no qualms telling people they are being **** or booting them for not listening to the cleric or squad leader. As Ny_Naeve's husband in the game and real life I suppose I am slightly biased, however she keeps me alive when we do 89 eden with just the 2 of us unwined, this is a testament to her skill as a cleric as I have no illusions to my classes capability or lack there of as a tank. In this particular case I was the seeker called in to get it done because we know I can do it with out issues. Any cleric that doesn't ask who is tanking in the beginning of a random squad is automatically a fail cleric and should delete their character and play hello kitty island adventure from now on, with today's players trying to fulfill all roles but their own in instances, it is impossible to know who is going to try tanking or who is there just to try and steal agro as some sort of bragging right. I am all for people trying to expand their characters capabilities and of course to try to have fun as best they can, after all it is a game. However, in this case the barb was fail for not researching what it means to be a barb and not being able to tank something well within his level range. The mystic gave it a try and that is fine as well, but after not even being able to tank the mobs and getting killed (which I dont care about in the least) the offending mobs then go after the rest of the squad, this is when it becomes everyone's issue that the attempting tank fails. I hear it everyday, "it's ok if I die" well, to the idiots making this statement, I have this to say. Your right it is ok if you die, in fact I wish you would die so often you would quit the game, because when you die everyone else is at risk. This is why a class like the mystic should not be tanking unless they way out level the instance in which they are trying. In short, get killed all you want, try anything you want, but when you get kicked out of a squad for putting everyone else in danger for your own ignorance, don't say you weren't warned.

Also if I ever have the chance to, I will get your toon killed for bad mouthing my wife viper, she forgives, I don't and I am a very patient man. just saying. have fun out there.
    Seeker of Truth FTW
    edited November 2011
    First let me state that I am not a nice player and have no qualms telling people they are being **** or booting them for not listening to the cleric or squad leader. As Ny_Naeve's husband in the game and real life I suppose I am slightly biased, however she keeps me alive when we do 89 eden with just the 2 of us unwined, this is a testament to her skill as a cleric as I have no illusions to my classes capability or lack there of as a tank. In this particular case I was the seeker called in to get it done because we know I can do it with out issues. Any cleric that doesn't ask who is tanking in the beginning of a random squad is automatically a fail cleric and should delete their character and play hello kitty island adventure from now on, with today's players trying to fulfill all roles but their own in instances, it is impossible to know who is going to try tanking or who is there just to try and steal agro as some sort of bragging right. I am all for people trying to expand their characters capabilities and of course to try to have fun as best they can, after all it is a game. However, in this case the barb was fail for not researching what it means to be a barb and not being able to tank something well within his level range. The mystic gave it a try and that is fine as well, but after not even being able to tank the mobs and getting killed (which I dont care about in the least) the offending mobs then go after the rest of the squad, this is when it becomes everyone's issue that the attempting tank fails. I hear it everyday, "it's ok if I die" well, to the idiots making this statement, I have this to say. Your right it is ok if you die, in fact I wish you would die so often you would quit the game, because when you die everyone else is at risk. This is why a class like the mystic should not be tanking unless they way out level the instance in which they are trying. In short, get killed all you want, try anything you want, but when you get kicked out of a squad for putting everyone else in danger for your own ignorance, don't say you weren't warned.

Also if I ever have the chance to, I will get your toon killed for bad mouthing my wife viper, she forgives, I don't and I am a very patient man. just saying. have fun out there.

Whatever, if you bothered to read, what I said was 'perhaps'. I did not say she WAS fail, and I did apologize.

BTW, Learn how to paragraph.

No you don't always need to ask who the Tank is, except when you are at the Boss and you need to pre-IH or discuss strategy.

But usually, you can tell from the class and how they behave on the easier mob who will in fact should be Tanking. Then as Cleric you tell the squad what is going to happen. b:shutup
  • Rich_Rahl - Dreamweaver
    Rich_Rahl - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    learn to paragraph, really, that is hilarious, can't attack my content so you attack my grammar. Typical of someone arguing from a weak position, anyway if your opinion mattered I might be upset, however, I'm not. I know I am a mean spiteful jerk, I own it. You on the other hand look like you go into situations on assumptions and run with a lack of communication, you are the perfect example of someone who doesn't pay attention enough to be a useful player and are the type I kick at the first sign of trouble. Luckily for me you are on another server, but if you don't mind, stay on that server the short bus is full on dreamweaver and the windows are clean from all the licking, so your limited services won't be needed, thank you, drive through.
    Seeker of Truth FTW
    edited November 2011
    learn to paragraph, really, that is hilarious, can't attack my content so you attack my grammar. Typical of someone arguing from a weak position, anyway if your opinion mattered I might be upset, however, I'm not. I know I am a mean spiteful jerk, I own it. You on the other hand look like you go into situations on assumptions and run with a lack of communication, you are the perfect example of someone who doesn't pay attention enough to be a useful player and are the type I kick at the first sign of trouble. Luckily for me you are on another server, but if you don't mind, stay on that server the short bus is full on dreamweaver and the windows are clean from all the licking, so your limited services won't be needed, thank you, drive through.

I asked you to learn to paragraph because your wall of text hurt my eyes.

I have never been kicked from a squad on any of my toons and I know I'm useful even if we don't have a long dialog. Good players know their role. I do sometimes tutor a newbie.

I have a Seeker that is getting near your level and it isn't that hard to heal a halfway decent Seeker through Eden. IJS.

Have a nice day b:bye
  • Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    O_o derail much? FWIW, i also WTF'd at Ny_Naeve's post, but I've seen some really bizarre squads work, so i cant really judge (also seen squads that should have been great fail spectacularly).
    Also, you don't always need to ask at the beginning who is tanking. You can often tell (or at least have an idea) by the first boss who is tanking, who is not, who is going to take aggro by accident that you will heal, and who you are gonna not bother healing and laugh at when they take aggro (usually because they are a jerk too). If you DON'T know by then, you can always ask before the boss, or specify that you would prefer a specific player to tank/not tank.

Anyway, BAAACK on topic. I have seen mystics successfully tank, but summons seem to not be as...durable...as Veno pets, and in general, don't seem to be able to take the damage as well. several times, the mystic ended up getting it, either because the pet died, or because they didn't bother using pet as a tank in the first place. Without the pet (and even with, on normal bosses), they seem to have trouble holding aggro as well, which is important.

So, I would say that while mystics CAN tank (actually, I don't think there's a class that I haven't seen tank at some point) and even do a pretty decent job of it, I would not classify them AS a tank
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.