Lag serious Lag and DCing

Mystik_Kiss - Dreamweaver
Mystik_Kiss - Dreamweaver Posts: 61 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Support Desk
Ok I was off PWi for a little while just taking a break from it. I managed to finally get the Latest patch update and installed. I have been playing it until about 2 or 3 days ago. The first day back everything was fine and dandy no problems.

Over the past day or so I have been Getting heavy Lag ranging from 12K to 45K the Lag Meter was so red I swear my eye where bleeding. I've Been DC'd 12 time in 10 minutes Maybe less. Thinking it was Server and to many people online I backed out well I log back in today and I get the Same issue.

Steps I have Taken:

1: Checked My Modem Connection

Result:
100% Connected and No Faults There

2: Ran the Antivirus:

Result:
Absolutely NO VIRUSES, MALWARE Trojans etc etc

3: Contacted ISP:

Result:
After running several Packet checks and Other Timing Tests to check the Modem Speed, Connection Speed and all Nothing Bad there.

4: Firewall access:

PWI Is allowed to run and Operate By My firewall.

5: Re Ran Virus Scans

Results:
Same as the first Time I ran it.

I can Play other games, browse the web and everything else I need or want to do. I just am unable to Log onto PWI for more then 2 or 3 Minutes at a Time Without getting Major Lag and DCing from the game.

Has Anyone tried doing Jewels and Virri With this type of Problem?? doesn't go to well does it?

Conclusion:
The Only thing left is that the Patch is Some where and some how Causing issues.

I am Running Windows Vista. I use Firefox for my web browser, I have plenty of Free memory Clean Hard drive and all that.

Any Solution I have not tried as of yet?

Please Note:

I am Only Having this issue when trying to Play PWI not anything else I play or do
Post edited by Mystik_Kiss - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2011
    You haven't run a traceroute to test the connection between you and the game servers. Try that and post the results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mystik_Kiss - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
    You haven't run a traceroute to test the connection between you and the game servers. Try that and post the results.

Ok How do I do that?
    edited November 2011
    Will Some one please Explain how to do a trace Route between me and the Game servers? Or is this some Big secret that should remain Hidden? I would like to Play PWI again
    edited November 2011
    Wow Ok I guess it is a Big Secret....... Thanks Folks real Helpful here real helpfulb:surrenderb:sad
    edited November 2011
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4487392&postcount=42

That's posted in the Stickied thread that has "READ HERE FIRST" in the title.

Yeah I know, hard to find right? b:surrender

Alternatively... you could use Google

Or you could use the forum search feature and see where I've posted instructions and examples a couple of hundred times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    Well Excuse me Sylen I did look around the forums found everything from how to Patch the Back yard fence, to how to make Great Great Great Grandma Jones Stone Chocolate Chip Cookies. I Never did see that Post exactly and I spent 2 Hours reading thru other posts on what to do and how to do things.

Running the trace Route Now
    edited November 2011
    Results of Said Trace Route:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\********>tracert pwieast2.perfectworld.com

Tracing route to pwieast2.perfectworld.com [74.201.183.26]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 37 ms 28 ms 29 ms 76.25.96.1
    3 11 ms 17 ms 10 ms te-7-2-ur02.cosprings.co.denver.comcast.net [68.
    85.107.189]
    4 17 ms 18 ms 14 ms te-0-4-0-4-ar02.aurora.co.denver.comcast.net [68
    .86.103.54]
    5 16 ms 15 ms 18 ms pos-3-6-0-0-cr01.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68
    .86.91.1]
    6 31 ms 29 ms 32 ms pos-2-9-0-0-cr01.dallas.tx.ibone.comcast.net [68
    .86.88.118]
    7 29 ms 35 ms 32 ms 208.178.62.141
    8 65 ms 65 ms 65 ms 67.16.151.74
    9 63 ms 63 ms 65 ms 67.17.192.54
    10 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms border1.pc2-bbnet2.nyj001.pnap.net [216.52.95.73
    ]
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
  • condo2009
    condo2009 Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    can the tracerount garbage, it's pwi idiot. If they had the servers where they belong wouldn't be 50 hops to nowhere.
    edited November 2011
    With that trace, your server ping shouldn't get higher than 200. If it is, then something on your system is interfering with the data transfer.

Or, it could be wireless interference, or low memory on your router/modem and there's also streaming/torrents running. (especially when streaming over wireless.)

Aside from that, I'd need to see a HiJackThis log to look at running processes. Your traceroute is clean though, and no condo, it's not the servers. Hop 11 is where you hit the PWE ISP and you're not going to get a response past that because of measures taken to prevent DDoS attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    condo2009 wrote: »
    can the tracerount garbage, it's pwi idiot. If they had the servers where they belong wouldn't be 50 hops to nowhere.

Excuse me......

I Did because I was told to and to post it. I want to Play the game again and if this helps then So be it. As far as You Calling people Names aka Idiot...... It takes one to call one a Idiot. So before opening your mouth or trying to impart your stone age intelligence Please think it over for about 1000 yrs by then you should have matured. Thank you
    edited November 2011
    With that trace, your server ping shouldn't get higher than 200. If it is, then something on your system is interfering with the data transfer.

Or, it could be wireless interference, or low memory on your router/modem and there's also streaming/torrents running. (especially when streaming over wireless.)

Aside from that, I'd need to see a HiJackThis log to look at running processes. Your traceroute is clean though, and no condo, it's not the servers. Hop 11 is where you hit the PWE ISP and you're not going to get a response past that because of measures taken to prevent DDoS attacks.

Ok So I have a Wireless yes infact we are running 5 different Lap tops plus this Computer tower off the net thru a wireless Router. This is the First time I have had this happen So badly. Before it was just 8 or 9K and even then it only DC'd me 1 time. This only occurred with this latest patch. even after the patch I logged on for about 30 minutes and no DC.
    edited November 2011
    On the Laptop Usually when I Play PWI 3 of them are shut down so I doubt that is a factor. The 4th one is the only one that even Has PWI on it.

Also another factor That May need to be considered is this.

I Also Play other Stand alone Games that are Like PWI (( Can't mention names since it is against the rules)) Many of them are also east Coast server based and I do Not have a Problem playing these games. Not Sure if that information is of any help or not But There it is
    edited November 2011
    It's the encryption algorithm that PWI uses that has problems with the wireless handshakes. Also, a few routers ave very low memory overhead for wireless traffic and if there was a system streaming, or multiple PC's using wireless the buffer fills quick. Even after they get turned off, the cheap router doesn't flush the memory. (2-Wire is one of these.) Try shutting your router down for a minute by unplugging it and see if that helps.

Also, reboot your PC after every patch. the patcher has a known memory leak. If it's a laptop, I recommend a hard boot. Unplug it and remove the battery, then hold the power button for a minute. Restart and give it a few to fully boot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    Ok I have checked the router The Name is NetGear not 2-wire so Thats Not it I don't think. before I posted this Issue here we did have a Issue with the net and I unplugged the router then and waited for like 4 or 5 Minutes before plugging it back in. I also Did that first thing before I Tried logging in the game about 3 Hours ago and Still have the same issue.

Hopefully the Maint that is done this evening will help. I'll just have to see, So Much for doing my Culti anytime soon here.
    edited November 2011
    Ok I have Done the new Patch, restarted the Computer, Shut it down Hard unplugged my Router, waited for ten minutes replugged it in and restarted my Computer after the router was rebooted.

Logged onto PWI I still get a 4 to 6K Ping rate. Moved my toon 4 steps and everyone else froze in place and then I get a message that I have been Disconnected.

Ran the trace route option and I get the same exact message as the one already posted above. Nothing seems to be working. I even had my ISP do a trace route from their Main system and they said it is on PWI's end. The Wireless router is Working just fine and that the Ping rate after several checks are within normal expectations.

This is getting to be bad I can go anywhere on the net, play any game or stay online for as long as I want BUT PWI keeps Disconnecting on me.

This Only started happening after the Last Big Patch 580. Before then I could log onto PWI for hours on end and have no Problems Ping rate then was like 250 to 450 Max No DC's unless my net went down.
    edited November 2011
    try plugging it in and turning off the wireless and see if that makes a difference. If not, there's some process interfering and I'd nee to see a HiJackThis log to filter through it for possible problems.

Also, have you disabled your anti-virus and verified the files while it was disabled?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • condo2009
    condo2009 Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    it was mr know it all, and like i said, it pwi and ypur ips confirms it "I even had my ISP do a trace route from their Main system and they said it is on PWI's end". so like i said before, i say again. and i don't see MOD on his name either, he just thinks he is a mod.
    edited November 2011
    I Never claimed to be a Mod condo. I've just been doing troubleshooting and helping people fix issues in online games since Meridian59. I've even done some GM work.

When you had your ISP check the connection, did you take into account that ALL ping packets are dropped at PWE's ISP? I ask because you can't trace/ping a connection fuly to them because of this and other security measures in place to prevent DDoS attacks.

I've also been building, designing, and troubleshooting computers and networks for over 20 years now. I'm also a fully certified Network Administrator. There's a good chance that I know more about your internet connection than the person you talk to when you call your ISP. They probably just tried to ping the server and it failed. Which is because of the reason I mentioned above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    I have tried all of these things Just now. The Tech I spoke with Didn't Just Try to Ping Packages From PWI. The Ghosted onto my system and spent 30 minutes Pinging Various East Coast servers to See if it was a Connection issue between and the East coast. I have had absolutely No Problem contacting/pinging them. Of that 30 Minutes he spent 15 of it trying to Ping PWI.

The Only thing I have Not tried............. wait brb
    edited November 2011
    Ok Now I know it is the east coast servers for a fact. I Have spent this time Running around on West Coast Servers Like Archosaur and Such. Walked around Killed a few mobs and all The Most Ping I got from that Server was 436 Yellow Line.

Went back to Dreamweaver Server Logged on to a 500Ping rate took 2 steps and watched it Spike from 500 Ping to 2500 Ping rate then DC'd

So If was Anything to Do with my Router or net Connection Both of them should have DC'd me Not Just Dreamweaver

Not only that but According to my Net Connection My Signal Strength read 4 green Bars out of 5 Lit up. Not to mention if My Net Connection was bad I would have Issues where ever I went to go on the net.
    edited November 2011
    as I said before, if you try to "Ping" the server, you won't get a response. Doesn't matter where you ping it from. This has been the case since the huge DDoS attack a long time ago.

While you're on the Dreamweaver server, and getting the high pings, run a traceroute at that precise point in time and lets see the response. I'm not getting anything higher than 200ms in-game ping with the norm being around 75-95ms.

Here's a shot of my traceroute...
    D:\PWI~Files>tracert -h 16 pwieast2.perfectworld.com

Tracing route to pwieast2.perfectworld.com [74.201.183.25]
    over a maximum of 16 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.att.net [192.168.1.254]
      2    10 ms    10 ms     8 ms  76-250-208-3.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net [76.250.208.3]
      3    11ms       9 ms     9 ms  75.26.64.122
      4    10 ms    11 ms    10 ms  75.26.64.82
      5    16 ms    10 ms     9 ms  12.83.32.133
      6    36 ms    18 ms    20 ms  151.164.99.137
      7    21 ms    16 ms    22 ms  gar3.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.79.85]
      8    34 ms    36 ms    33 ms  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.132.210]
      9    37 ms    36 ms    39 ms  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.7.250]
     10    35 ms    34 ms    46 ms  cr1.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.1.1]
     11    33 ms    33 ms    34 ms  gar14.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.105.25]
     12    72 ms    86 ms    70 ms  border2.t8-1-bbnet2.sje004.pnap.net [66.151.144.80]
     13    34 ms    34 ms    34 ms  border1.pc2-bbnet2.nyj001.pnap.net [216.52.95.73]
     14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I'm getting a server ping, (in the sever selection box), of 34ms.
    As you can see from the trace, my fist hop from my fiber internet connection is in Livernois Michigan. So I may be a little closer to the servers, but it's still a clean trace.
    I'm also not having any issues so far with DC'ing. If it were the server, it would be more widespread than that. Even if it was an issue with the router at, say, stop 12, we would be seeing a lot more people posting that they are having an issue with the East coast servers. (This happened recently on a Sunday Morning. Everyone blamed the servers then too and it turned out to be a hub that PWE could do nothing about.)

A recent discussion I was reading also pointed at Microsoft Security Essentials causing odd problems such as that. Check if you have that installed on your computer, (even if you personally didn't install it, it could still be there), and if it is, add the PWI folder to the exceptions list. I would do the same for your anti-virus software, regardless of what it is.

I'll be hanging out on Dreamweaver for a bit to see if I get any spikes there. In-game the name is the same as it is here.

P.S. You can Ping the servers till you're blue in the face and this is all you will ever see.....
    D:\PWI~Files>Ping pwieast2.perfectworld.com

Pinging pwieast2.perfectworld.com [74.201.183.26] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.201.183.26:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Edit: It's been 17 hours now. no DC's and I'm not seeing a lot of complaints in WC like there would be if there was a problem with the servers. My high-ping in-game is 538ms so far (lasted about 30 seconds). I'm also running two clients at once. while streaming Netflix and running utorrent. My average ping is 175ms so far.

So far... not looking like a server issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]