2 PCs 4 Clients?

Options
vertigo100
vertigo100 Posts: 10 Arc User
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
Hey there.. I've got a little question which I couldn't figure out by myself from the post about running clients.

Say that I have 2 computers runnig on the same Internet (=same IP adress) and say I have 4 different accounts. Can I log all four accounts correspondingly, 2 accounts running on one pc and the rest 2 accounts on my second pc and it will be considered legal?b:surrender
Post edited by vertigo100 on

Comments

• RunningTiger - Dreamweaver
    RunningTiger - Dreamweaver Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    only if you have someone other than you sitting behind the other pc
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    You, as a single human being, can only have 2 accounts logged in at any one time. If another person in you house were to also log in, they could have at max 2 accounts as well.
  • guitarted
    guitarted Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    That doesn't make sense, how could you tell if there were 4 accounts being used by separate users or the same user.

example i have a laptop and a desktop, i multi client on them and its all me, could i then pass my self of as two separate users, i mean are you going of a trust system here or is it to do with the (IP)
  • jamesmcd
    jamesmcd Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    First off, look in the 'official announcements forum' for the thread 'New Multi-Clienting Policy (Updated 4-6-2011)'.

The answer is there.

If you think it is too long to read here is the short version.

1 client on a single computer is legal
    2 clients on a single computer is legal
    1 client on each of 2 computers is legal

1 client on 1 computer and 2 clients on another is ILLEGAL
    3 clients on 1 computer is ILLEGAL (even if your computer can run them)

in other words, you may have 50 logins, but you may only use 2 of them at the same time and still be legal

if you need to know what a client is, then here is MY definition. A client is the computer program that is needed to be running in order for you to play your character. 1 character requires 1 client.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    guitarted wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, how could you tell if there were 4 accounts being used by separate users or the same user.

example i have a laptop and a desktop, i multi client on them and its all me, could i then pass my self of as two separate users, i mean are you going of a trust system here or is it to do with the (IP)

You have to actually submit some sort of notice that you have more than one PWI player in your home, and then provide some sort of proof of that fact.
  • vertigo100
    edited November 2011
    Options
    So.. I can call my brother to sit behind the 2nd screen and help me open tt without any external help by logging the 2 other accounts i have.. But how do i prove it was him and not me? :0
  • jamesmcd
    jamesmcd Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options

Detecting infringments is difficult, but not impossible. Considering you can only use 1 keyboard at a time (2 if you have sufficient dexterity like a pianist), if I were to write a program to detect possible multiclient infringements, I would use account names and match them up to ip addresses and then check to see if the keyboard activity on these accounts could only be explained by more than 1 person typing simultaneously. I admit that I dont program for a living (or even as a hobby) but there are methods by which clienting infringements could be detected if they wanted to use the resources and then enforce the rules.
  • guitarted
    guitarted Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wait so if there are four people in your house and they have there own computers, what happens if they all multi client using the same net, that's what like 8 clients open on the same network, maybe telling my flatmates about perfect world was a bad idea lol.
  • vertigo100
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wait so if there are four people in your house and they have there own computers, what happens if they all multi client using the same net, that's what like 8 clients open on the same network, maybe telling my flatmates about perfect world was a bad idea lol.

You shouldnt worry though if they are real human beings sitting behind the screen xD Then it is completely legal..
  • jabbl1
    jabbl1 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    Detecting infringments is difficult, but not impossible. Considering you can only use 1 keyboard at a time (2 if you have sufficient dexterity like a pianist), if I were to write a program to detect possible multiclient infringements, I would use account names and match them up to ip addresses and then check to see if the keyboard activity on these accounts could only be explained by more than 1 person typing simultaneously. I admit that I dont program for a living (or even as a hobby) but there are methods by which clienting infringements could be detected if they wanted to use the resources and then enforce the rules.

What if all 4 are catshops making millions every day b:chuckle. Catshops don't need to type.
  • RunningTiger - Dreamweaver
    RunningTiger - Dreamweaver Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Well to tell the truth Ive been playing two-my wife is playing two-and our kid is playing two that way I don't need openers for nirvana or tt. Been doing this for along time with no troubles...geuss if they felt the need they could call...they may not need to since the credit card i use on my account has both me an wifes name on it though.....
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Gone are the days of running 4-8 clients on the same computer at the same time. Enough chars to open, and a few to hold instances.

Technically, if you have two different ISPs you could log 4 chars and they wouldn't notice it. Most likely they won't notice anyone multiclienting anymore just from lack of attention.

/shrug
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.