Botting Issues on Sancturary Server

Options
Neodaystar - Sanctuary
Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
This had gone on for quite a while now. On our server, there is this one particular person botting - using some type of program to automatically farm herbs in one particular spot free of mobs and free from plain view. Many tickets had been submitted about this person by many people I've talked to, but this person is still not banned.

If you go onto our server right now (Sanctuary), go into Momaganon (hell) to (353 607) Araneid Cliffs - you will find that person. This person is always there, and using the same routine - farming in one particular spot only.

How do you know if the person is a bot?
1- pm the person, and continuously pm the person to converse with him/her. If there is no response, then it is a bot.

2- Get the person killed by transferring aggro from mobs to that person, if no reaction - then it is a bot.

3- Usually, there is a delay in reaction when ever herbs re-spawn to seek out that herb. However, with a bot - there is no delay in response time and the person will jump to the herb as soon as the program recognizes the herb spawns. The toon will travel a straight path directly to the herb without actually wondering about in search of the herb.

4- The gear of the person is way below average, and tries to hide the true identity by using npc gear, or gear made by other people (no event gear that are binded).

As seen with the gold selling websites spams, the ticket system no longer functions and even the mods were permitting name and shame to catch these vigilantes. If we continue to allow this to happen, it will certainly attract more botters knowing that they can get away with this.
Post edited by Neodaystar - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Jalohaukka - Lost City
    Jalohaukka - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    well i never really react to random aggro's at times nor do i ever reply to strangers pming me and i've been accused on profiles to be a bot which im not
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    well i never really react to random aggro's at times nor do i ever reply to strangers pming me and i've been accused on profiles to be a bot which im not

But you don't farm in just one particular spot, and you don't travel in a straight path to the herbs all the time -correct? In addition, all herbs don't have an equal value, only the widely used herbs or the most expensive ones are farmed. A bot will farm everything - which if it was a veteran herb farmer, he/she won't waste time and actions on a herb that cost like 800 coins like a white berry when there is another herb patch within reach in about 50 meters away.
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I agree, we should start a witch hunt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bearish - Sanctuary
    Bearish - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lol a better idea is to fix the delta glitch bridge, people with time in their hands are farming frags like crazy.
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lol a better idea is to fix the delta glitch bridge, people with time in their hands are farming frags like crazy.

I heard they fixed that gltich- you can no longer solo delta to make 40 mil+ per run.
  • Mistbelle - Sanctuary
    Mistbelle - Sanctuary Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Rose, witch hunts are fun b:chuckle. We should do them.

Neo, I was just reading this in faction chat. b:victory

Bump for awareness. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    As seen with the gold selling websites spams, the ticket system no longer functions and even the mods were permitting name and shame to catch these vigilantes. If we continue to allow this to happen, it will certainly attract more botters knowing that they can get away with this.

I don't think you know what a vigilate is.

Clearly the best way to fight the bot is to design another bot whose sole function is to get the first bot killed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    But you don't farm in just one particular spot, and you don't travel in a straight path to the herbs all the time -correct? In addition, all herbs don't have an equal value, only the widely used herbs or the most expensive ones are farmed. A bot will farm everything - which if it was a veteran herb farmer, he/she won't waste time and actions on a herb that cost like 800 coins like a white berry when there is another herb patch within reach in about 50 meters away.

Stupid or not, when I'm in flower picking mode, I pick up everything in the order that's closest to me. This is unless there is competition, in which case I beeline for the best stuff first. But if it looks like I have the place to myself, I get it all. (This is probably because I'm usually watching a movie at the same time, which also makes me likely to miss whispers, particularly if WC/guild chat is being lively).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't think you know what a vigilate is.

Clearly the best way to fight the bot is to design another bot whose sole function is to get the first bot killed.

Yea, not the right adjective to describe the person. I somehow associated the meaning with a criminal behavior, but it's the opposite, the individual seeing the wrong and punishing the alleged with a criminal behavior.
  • Bearish - Sanctuary
    Bearish - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I heard they fixed that gltich- you can no longer solo delta to make 40 mil+ per run.

nope its still working
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Stupid or not, when I'm in flower picking mode, I pick up everything in the order that's closest to me. This is unless there is competition, in which case I beeline for the best stuff first. But if it looks like I have the place to myself, I get it all. (This is probably because I'm usually watching a movie at the same time, which also makes me likely to miss whispers, particularly if WC/guild chat is being lively).

Surely if you have whisper on, and the person is pm-ing you as you are clicking on a newly spawn herb you can't miss that whisper. Nor can you miss a huge exclamation button when you receive a private message instead of a whisper?

What this person does is that he farms what ever pops up first regardless of the value of the herb even when there are competition farmers. After farming the herb, he runs back to a particular spot - the same spot all the time with precises consistency. If you are watching tv or doing other things irl, you won't do this as to waste time to click on the exact same spot after digging each herb. In addition, your reaction time will not always be consistent because of human error, but for a bot it is.
  • Aranarwa - Heavens Tear
    Aranarwa - Heavens Tear Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Don't get your hope up.

Nowadays GM's don't even know what a bot is. b:cry
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder b:chuckle
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ok, so it has been 12 hours since my last sighting of that person botting and he is still there after I just woke up :D Except this time the person choose another patch of herbs to farm at (395 619) on Araneid Cliff. Very smart to shift around to different herb patches to try and avoid suspicion from a gm with an un-trained eye. It's no wonder he's been able to keep at this for weeks now.

Another thing to note is that if you beat him to the herb and start farming it, he will go to that herb and continuously try and farm it even if you got there first. A normal non-bot person will stop trying to obtain that herb while it is being farmed by another person, but a bot doesn't. If you see a newly fresh herb that has more value and has just spawned, that bot won't go to it and will still try to farm the lower value herb that you are digging.

Well, I gave all the reasons and differences that I know of between a bot farmer and actual person farming. To believe it or not it's up to you. I don't really care, since it doesn't really have a huge impact on my own game play. I think this is just the beginning for another bot boom like back in Close Beta. If this person continue to bot and get away with it, I'm sure others will seek out or make more bot programs as this system has no way of fighting back.
  • jimbillybob46310
    jimbillybob46310 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Well i saw a player i know using a WQ bot. You start WQ and then go afk and it auto paths to each stop , talks to next npc, and then flys to next stop. Was told of this bot like 1 yr ago.
  • Valirah - Sanctuary
    Valirah - Sanctuary Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    What is this GM creature you keep referring too? I'm pretty sure they don't exist, all that is left of them is myth and legend.

Game support of any kind is all but extinct. Surprised that people still pump money into a game that has been pretty clearly abandoned by those who run it.
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Well i saw a player i know using a WQ bot. You start WQ and then go afk and it auto paths to each stop , talks to next npc, and then flys to next stop. Was told of this bot like 1 yr ago.

Yea, nice troll :D You don't need a bot program to automatically fly to different places in the main world map, because like you said - auto path using the quest log.
  • Suaver - Raging Tide
    Suaver - Raging Tide Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yea, nice troll :D You don't need a bot program to automatically fly to different places in the main world map, because like you said - auto path using the quest log.

Except can you afk talk to npc's and fly to the next point using auto path? No...

There is a WQ bot... and if I had known about it when I was just a nab who actually did that quest.. I probably wouldn't have growned everytime I started it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Except can you afk talk to npc's and fly to the next point using auto path? No...

There is a WQ bot... and if I had known about it when I was just a nab who actually did that quest.. I probably wouldn't have growned everytime I started it.

Wow, seriously? Talk to npcs even? That's new to me. It's hardly a detectable bot program visually...
    Sorry jimbillybob46310 for calling you a troll, I thought you meant it was just the auto path feature that makes it like you are botting.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options

b:laughi sell white berry at 2k coins...im a vet farmer and coin is coin i farm mostly all herbs i come across..but i dont think most bots are on mounts either.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Sometimes when I AFK, i've probably exhibited similar behaviour to what you've described.

At one point i'd just port to the second town in Heaven and pick the all the herbs in the nearby patch, fly, hover and AFK until I check again later on to repeat the pattern.

I'd always pick everything. I realise that White Berry isn't a particularly lucrative herb but I occasionally use them to make Dew of Star Protection. When I do sell White Berry, usually goes for around 1.5k to 1.7k on AH.

I don't really bother with this at the moment as I prefer to do other things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tallain_ - Heavens Tear
    Tallain_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ok i've read all this, and whoever thinks the herb farmer she's describing ins't a bot is a idiot..... sorry. Not responding to pm's... ya i don't either alot.... but NO ONE that's not a bot starts of from the center of a imaginary circle, runs STRAIGHT to the next herb w/o even looking around, etc etc for 24/7..... and especially that last part about trying to pick a herb she kept claimed over and over...

Frankie where the hell are u and your little team of GM's? should've gone to check this out the minute it was freaking posted if you were doing your jobs ..... but apparently that bot's still there..... while you're at it check the other servers in heaven and hell for bots? lmao
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    12:02 pm server time

The bot is still there actively picking herbs in one particular location for 17 hours straight since I famed herbs last night for TW :D

(394 622) in hell
  • Tallain_ - Heavens Tear
    Tallain_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    **** it's Saturday... forgot this game's not monitored at all on weekends....... like it ever is anyway..... keep bumping this thread maybe frankie'll pay attention to it come monday. lol
  • Xvermillionx - Dreamweaver
    Xvermillionx - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i saw one of those in Heaven on DW, i think i messed up her herb cycle though because she started to get killed by mobs but she didnt try to kill it she kept meditating over and over again and as soon as a herb popped up she ran right to it with this mob on her tail, and she kept trying to pick it up but the mobs still attacking her, that went on for a good 10 minutes. she died eventually when i killed a mob nearby and it spawned near her and smacked her up. she just didnt defend herself and ticked over and over again. funny thing it was a white berry she was trying to get and there was a devilwood right next to herb:surrender
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I forwarded the thread to frankie, and he should get it sometime later today. Hopefully we can get some sort of an answer to this, and some sort of solution to the problem.

Thanks for the report!b:thanks
  • Zolias - Raging Tide
    Zolias - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Eh, I dealt with the same thing before the Genesis patch. One guy wandering the area east of the City of the Raging Tides was gathering all the low mats in the area. Tried talking to him, no response at all. Took the mat -it- wanted, kept going for it, even if one spawned nearby. Always went in a straight line, always returned to the starting spot and meditated. Reported it, next day was gone....

...only to be replaced by another, which I also reported.

Seriously, don't make the name of a bot toon similar to a bot you had gotten banned before; just gonna waste another account in front of the mythical GMs while they scream "THIS IS PWI!!!" before kicking you into the bottomless Ban Pit. b:chuckle
    b:surrender I admit to feeding trolls. b:surrender

...however, in my defense, said food WAS poisoned! b:sin
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    Chadric - Heavens Tear Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i saw one of those in Heaven on DW, i think i messed up her herb cycle though because she started to get killed by mobs but she didnt try to kill it she kept meditating over and over again and as soon as a herb popped up she ran right to it with this mob on her tail, and she kept trying to pick it up but the mobs still attacking her, that went on for a good 10 minutes. she died eventually when i killed a mob nearby and it spawned near her and smacked her up. she just didnt defend herself and ticked over and over again. funny thing it was a white berry she was trying to get and there was a devilwood right next to herb:surrender

LOL! that's hilarious wish i coulda seen that.
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Swear these botters have been around forever, but not constantly doing it. I remember at least 18 months ago hearing about some on HT
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Lol it's still in the same spot, going straight from herb to herb. And it doesn't stop either if you nab the herb first :p

Tried whispering it and got a replay like 5 minutes after I stole its herbs lol Obvious bot is obvious b:chuckle

Guess I'll nab some more herbs and see if it reacts.. Not like I don't have time while doing paper works lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Lol it's still in the same spot, going straight from herb to herb. And it doesn't stop either if you nab the herb first :p

Tried whispering it and got a replay like 5 minutes after I stole its herbs lol Obvious bot is obvious b:chuckle

Guess I'll nab some more herbs and see if it reacts.. Not like I don't have time while doing paper works lol

Lol, that person replied to me too, but it was about 20 hours after I had private message him. I think he's knows more and more people are starting to be aware of his botting now and is checking on the game and relocating to a different herb patch more often.