I confess... I never onced used swirling mist!

krishnaya
krishnaya Posts: 47 Arc User
edited October 2011 in Mystic
I'm lvl 98 and have never once cast swirling mist. I read what it does and doesn't sound good. I've used all my skills and use them all regularly except spidervine (which i do use once a month or two lol) and swirling mist.

Is swirling mist good and when do you people use it?

I say it sucks xD... Willing to be proven wrong or something tho
Post edited by krishnaya on

Comments

• IKnuke - Harshlands
    IKnuke - Harshlands Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I'm not using Swirling Mist also... And Spidervine.
    This 2 are only used by me in Caster Nirvana or etc... I just use lysing with my debuffing plants and use swirling mist once in a while ;o
    I use my Swirling Mist to reduce their Wood Defense. (Its Demon)
    But yea i dont find it useful.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    Kaitica - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    krishnaya wrote: »
    I'm lvl 98 and have never once cast swirling mist. I read what it does and doesn't sound good. I've used all my skills and use them all regularly except spidervine (which i do use once a month or two lol) and swirling mist.

I say it sucks, tbh I feel that any DoT skill is only useful in PvP to charm tick or when your really trying uber hard not to steal because absorb souls zero aggro still steals somehow LOL.

My Useless skills are as follows

spidervine unless im solo healing wurlord or whatever
    swirling mist just about anytime, mine isnt demon yet b:shutup
    Listless in PvE, unless im aoeing spiders or something
    And i normally dont use bramble tornado in PvE.
  • __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver
    __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Just because one can't be bothered to learn how to use a certain skill, doesn't mean it sucks. b:surrender

Personally I love it. And I use it on everything that will last long enough that the full DoT will tick through.

It's arguably the best DoT skill in the game IMO (Absorb Soul discussions aside), and when you're in a situation that it can deliver it's full damage it's stronger than a non-crit Nature's Vengeance (unless you're packing a ton of attack levels) and is just as fast on the draw. You can even spark it for more damage from both the initial hit and the DoT.

Sure it can seem to be worthless, what with the whole 'only starts ticking at 60%' stipulation, but the status effect lasts for quite a while if it doesn't immediately start doing damage. So you can drop it whenever you see an opening to pile on extra damage (armor break, sparking/other forms of boosting Mag Atk damage...the DoT has 'memory' of the conditions present when it was applied and will inflict damage accordingly), and it'll probably still be around to trigger the extra damage unless your squad's damage output is low.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I use it for that chance to lower wood defense, since I have the demon version.
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Just because one can't be bothered to learn how to use a certain skill, doesn't mean it sucks. b:surrender

Personally I love it. And I use it on everything that will last long enough that the full DoT will tick through.

It's arguably the best DoT skill in the game IMO

no its not. psys have the best DoTs in the game.
  • Mysticarella - Lost City
    Mysticarella - Lost City Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I personally use a lot especially in PvP. the After effect is awesome. Just yesterday I killed a sin with that. First I attacked with NV then SM, he ran away because he has 15% hp left and I coulndt catch him, but a few seconds later I see him laying down dead on the ground killed by SM b:laugh
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    I personally use a lot especially in PvP. the After effect is awesome. Just yesterday I killed a sin with that. First I attacked with NV then SM, he ran away because he has 15% hp left and I coulndt catch him, but a few seconds later I see him laying down dead on the ground killed by SM b:laugh

That's exactly why I made my point about PvP, sometimes there's just that 200 hp they have left, and that last 15% could have been charm ticked but mist still damages when your healing b:chuckle
  • Crescendia - Harshlands
    Crescendia - Harshlands Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I use it for that chance to lower wood defense, since I have the demon version.

also, in pvp u can kill scrub sins who run away from u with this skill
    Originally Posted by Curses - Harshlands

Sidenote: hilarious name for a boat: "Yeah Buoy".

b:laughb:laugh
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    also, in pvp u can kill scrub sins who run away from u with this skill

I haven't really had much encounters with pvp. I just recently started doing tw. But thanks for the tip, I'll remember that when I stop being afraid of sins xD b:chuckle
  • VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It's a great skill for people with lots of hp or charms. I've used it to kill stealthing sins and people running into sz but that's only when they pot too late xD But I use the skill a lot since it's like one of two(three) attack skills we have that doesn't cost chi so if it'll end up doing more dmg than a nature's, why not? Also something I've been kinda curious about. Anyone know if it is possible to stack multiple swirling mist DoTs on a target before their hp gets below 60%?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Im pretty sure it doesn't stack.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Not tried it yet, but I'll post here if it does stack...

It would be awesome, huh?b:laugh
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    I checked and i'm fairly certain it doesn't stack. Since the debuff lasts 9 seconds.

By the time your about to check again... its just about over due to the 5 second cooldown lol.
  • VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    ... Ok, maybe I wasn't totally clear in my post. I asked if anyone knew if it was possible to stack multiple swirling mists before the target's hp gets below 60%, where the debuff delays before disappearing so cooldown shouldn't matter much. Did you actually try it in game, or just looked at duration and cooldown? Since the skill seems to have been made to work opposite of Falling Petals, I'm gonna assume it lasts at least a minute before you have to get their hp below 60% to get the DoT effect. If it is possible to stack it before the hp gets below that amount, it could prove to be a very useful skill in extended fights against someone who spams pots or HoTs. I wanna test it myself, but I'm about to go on a PWIatus. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    ... Ok, maybe I wasn't totally clear in my post. I asked if anyone knew if it was possible to stack multiple swirling mists before the target's hp gets below 60%, where the debuff delays before disappearing so cooldown shouldn't matter much. Did you actually try it in game, or just looked at duration and cooldown? Since the skill seems to have been made to work opposite of Falling Petals, I'm gonna assume it lasts at least a minute before you have to get their hp below 60% to get the DoT effect. If it is possible to stack it before the hp gets below that amount, it could prove to be a very useful skill in extended fights against someone who spams pots or HoTs. I wanna test it myself, but I'm about to go on a PWIatus. b:surrender

I'm pretty sure it doesn't stack. Ofc I understood your question. I just didn't see numbers pop up like 5 aps.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    swirling mist does more damage than any other magical nuke skill we have, except for the lvl 100 skill perhaps. DoT matters and makes swirling mist one of your best DD skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • agiya
    agiya Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    krishnaya wrote: »

I use it all the time and I built my Mystic to be AoE DD & heal assist (for those who think our big thing is only healing). I dont PvP, but in PvE it has been my experience that the DoT effect is working as long as u see the buff, although not as powerful until after 60%.

I usually open with Nature's Vengeance, Swirling Mist, Nature's Vengeance x2 (allows for SM cooldown time), another Swirling Mist.. .well you get the idea.

The first guides made on Mystics I think were made from amped chars and the people who wrote them kind of played the char for a month or less and said what they had to say.

It was helpful then, but the Mystics that came after and have raised their chars slowly up have developed something different in their journey. The thing I love most about the Mystic - no two are exactly alike.

Don't believe the hype - get out there & see what works best for your Mystic's build.

Brillance
    Lvl 88 Mystic
    AoE DD & Heal Assist
    Raging Tide
    No Faction
  • kalshomin
    kalshomin Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I personally love swirling mist, Its one of the few DOTS in the game that does damage based on your magic attack and not on some low silly set number.

Yes it doesnt really do THAT much damage, but for a skill that takes almost no time at all to cast its a good starter skill to use before you begin attacking.

some people think that just cause it doesnt activate before 60% that its a bad skill i think its not, it just means that the more you kill something the faster its going to die.

in pve its a quick skill to add a little extra dps to yourself, and in PVP its still a good lead attack. i maxxed it and use it begin my attack runs
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Chihyu and Vengence DD one mob, Mist mob at 60% HP, make sure Chihyu's HP is fine, start on next mob myself. Sorry, what were some of you saying now?
    Maybe I'm just used to my sin's Puncture Wound being epic at one level, then suddenly becoming useless the next. I like that I have a DoT on my mystic that will always "level up" with me thanks to it being based on my mag atk as kalshomin above me already stated.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Chihyu and Vengence DD one mob, Mist mob at 60% HP, make sure Chihyu's HP is fine, start on next mob myself. Sorry, what were some of you saying now?
    Maybe I'm just used to my sin's Puncture Wound being epic at one level, then suddenly becoming useless the next. I like that I have a DoT on my mystic that will always "level up" with me thanks to it being based on my mag atk as kalshomin above me already stated.

Ive tried that & honestly find pounding NV's to be much slower for the kill, also my SM seems to crit more than NV does (only have a 5% crit bonus without EL). Anyway, whatever is working for your build and bonuses is what matters.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Ive tried that & honestly find pounding NV's to be much slower for the kill, also my SM seems to crit more than NV does (only have a 5% crit bonus without EL). Anyway, whatever is working for your build and bonuses is what matters.
    I'm not quite sure you understood the way I worded that. You're saying you approve of the same thing, but they way you put it makes it seem like you're disagreeing with me.
    ...Or am I the one misunderstanding your wording? lmao
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
    edited October 2011
    ..Not quite sure you understood the way I worded that. You're saying you approve of the same thing, but they way you put it makes it seem like you're disagreeing with me.
    ...Or am I the one misunderstanding your wording? lmao

Its you xD

If you are talking about mobs on a BH, then yeah, Ill easily sacrifice my Devil for the crit bonus - but while soloing mobs, Im not going to EL my tank just to kill something I kill easy enough anyway. ;)
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Its you xD
    Okay b:laugh b:surrender
    ~Spazz~
    edited October 2011
    Okay b:laugh b:surrender

No wait...it's me. Didnt sound like you were using SM at all. Sorry. b:chuckle
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    No wait...it's me. Didnt sound like you were using SM at all. Sorry. b:chuckle
    Lolololol, ok. It's np b:pleased
    ~Spazz~
  • paradox666
    paradox666 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I like the skill alot and use it after my devil hits 1st then slap it on the mob its attacking and use the NV AS combo on a totally different mob speeding things up alot. I've also got a macro thats NV AS SM NV for mobs with higher health then normal like bh mobs. Its also really a really nice way to help DD while healing, if you happen to have your sting lvled up doing the same with it that i do with devil is a neat way to get 3 mobs killed pretty fast.
  • GaiaStorm - Harshlands
    GaiaStorm - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I actually find myself using this quite often if my opponent's hp is high enough so that Nature + Absorb + Devil isn't enough to take it out. Mostly on things with increased life or on bosses. Other than that the former combo is pretty much what I've gone with for most of the time I've used a mystic. :D