Am I missing something?

Options
Joey_Cleric - Dreamweaver
Joey_Cleric - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
Why do people say not to do fc heads at low lvls even if you find someone that will do it with you or you can afford it? I've heard that you don't learn the character.
I'm a cleric and as far as I'm concerned, I hit a button till stuff dies and I lvl up.
I understand that certain things are needed by certain classes, like clerics and bb, but I found out the proper name for bb at lvl 60 as I was standing at the trainer.
I really think that if people want to lvl quickly and do fc heads, it might suck the first time they do fb or bh with a proper squad, but it's just a game, if you die, you click a button and jump back in.
I must be missing something. People act as though it causes them physical pain to die in game.

I apologize for errors. And thank you for being my ear into which I rant.
Post edited by Joey_Cleric - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    People like to think this game requires a college degree to be good at. It makes them feel better about themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Fulcanelli - Raging Tide
    Fulcanelli - Raging Tide Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    People like to think this game requires to rush to endgame to be good at. It makes them feel better about themselves.

fixed for you.

(I always wanted to do that b:chuckle)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EIvemage - Dreamweaver
    EIvemage - Dreamweaver Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dude its a huge pain if people just buy their levels and then jump into high lvl squads (like 90+ fcs)... ive seens so many bad people its unbelievable like DDing clerics (edit2: with dding i mean dding not debuffing...)that just wellspring once in a while which is far from beeing enought to keep everyone alive... cleric is simple once you get the hang of it but your team relies heavily on you and things like agro mechanics, healing, dding/debuffing, staying alive... are not learnt by buying your levels.
    cleric was my first account that i leveled to 83 before hypers came out, without using any oracles so i dare to judge other clerics and you can instantly tell which ones bought their levels and which ones are legit.

edit: i suggest you buy heads to lvl 80 and start learning from there.. youll do fc a lot and learn a lot from it, and on the lower levels its not so much about team based actions
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    People like to think this game requires a college degree to be good at. It makes them feel better about themselves.

And of course, a simple bachelor's degree is not sufficient. No, indeed.

PhD or gtfo.b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    A cleric/mystic should know how to debuff and heal the party properly.
    A tank (barb, BM (sometimes), seeker) should know how to hold agro on a boss and keep the party from taking excessive amounts of damage.
    DDs (sin, psy, wizard, veno (tanks too sometimes) ) their job is to deal alot of damage, but each class does specific things, and players should KNOW the classes before jumping headlong into endgame with them
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dude its a huge pain if people just buy their levels and then jump into high lvl squads (like 90+ fcs)... ive seens so many bad people its unbelievable like DDing clerics (edit2: with dding i mean dding not debuffing...)that just wellspring once in a while which is far from beeing enought to keep everyone alive... cleric is simple once you get the hang of it but your team relies heavily on you and things like agro mechanics, healing, dding/debuffing, staying alive... are not learnt by buying your levels.
    cleric was my first account that i leveled to 83 before hypers came out, without using any oracles so i dare to judge other clerics and you can instantly tell which ones bought their levels and which ones are legit.

I hate to break this to you, but cleric in this game is in no way any harder than healing in any other game. It is not hard at all to learn how to play a cleric properly. You do not need 80+ levels of grinding/BH to learn how to play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EIvemage - Dreamweaver
    EIvemage - Dreamweaver Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I hate to break this to you, but cleric in this game is in no way any harder than healing in any other game. It is not hard at all to learn how to play a cleric properly. You do not need 80+ levels of grinding/BH to learn how to play it.

thats why i said he should get lvl 80 at heads. its not too hard to get the hang of healing, i said that aswell but it takes more knowledge then other classes and if your team is bad you are usually the one that suffers from it. example idiots that dont know how to pull and just run str8 into ur bb giving you the agro. a good cleric will have no problem with that, using either expel or ad (depending on mobs ofc) to protect themselves until some1 takes the agro off them. fcing in the 80s seemed quite tough for me tbh, the second bosses bubble was untankable for me (too low hp), so i always had to make sure i was either charmed/had my genie ready... and so on

people generally get quite mad at people that obviously didnt play their class legitimately and he will most likely miss out on a lot of usefull info because tbh if there is a lvl 90 cleric that is completely clueless im better of kicking him then telling him his job.

imo opinion there isnt too much to levels 60-80, i remember questing/grinding those levels which was usually something i did by myself and thats skipable. but heads are a huge temptation as they are incredebly fast and if this is his first char he should really stop at 80 to learn his class. my opinion.
  • Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    A cleric/mystic should know how to debuff and heal the party properly.
    A tank (barb, BM (sometimes), seeker) should know how to hold agro on a boss and keep the party from taking excessive amounts of damage.
    DDs (sin, psy, wizard, veno (tanks too sometimes) ) their job is to deal a controlled amount of damage, but each class does specific things, and players should KNOW the classes before jumping headlong into endgame with them

fixed, DD's should also control the amount of damage they put out so to not steal agro, like a wiz taking off their wep at the start of a zhen.
    I <3 A lot of people
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited October 2011
    Options
    for some reason, people think you actually learn everything about your class whilst doing quest or grinding mobs.

honestly, nothing i picked up in pve taught me **** in pvp; this game is, literally, all about the pvp - why not jump straight to it..?
  • Sheshka - Raging Tide
    Sheshka - Raging Tide Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    prof wrote: »
    for some reason, people think you actually learn everything about your class whilst doing quest or grinding mobs.

honestly, nothing i picked up in pve taught me **** in pvp; this game is, literally, all about the pvp - why not jump straight to it..?

If the only thing to this game was PVP there would be no PVE servers, and at last count there are more PVE servers then PVP servers. But that is off the main topic.

I'd say power level or don't as you like. It's a game play it the way you want to play it. Whether it be rushing to the level cap so you can TW or PVP or take your time with the abundance of quests. It's a game and it's here for your enjoyment.
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    While this is true.......a level 100 cleric should know about healing aggro (how many pull those damn foxes all over the place from 3rd boss in Nirvana? and still don't get it when you explain). Or should know what IH is, or should know what purify is.
    I don't think the 80 levels of grind teach people these things, but they are skipping what does - bh. BH's are great for squad training. You quickly learn all of these things if you do them progressively as you level.
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I think one of the advantages of slow leveling is making decisions faster. For example on my archer if I'm getting hit hard by a mob and have to choose between stunning him and knocking him back the fact that knocking him back is the faster skill is an issue. But stunning keeps me from taking damage for a longer amount of time. After you grind through enough mobs you can make the right decision for where your HP is quickly.

I could go on, the issue is making the right decision fast. Given enough time the right decision in PW is child's play. But you have to make it fast often enough that training your reflexes is valuable.

And seriously, there are some messed up high levels out there. This week I was in a squad with an 80 lvl archer who didn't know archer stuns don't work on bosses.

But slow leveling isn't magic. I know a slow leveling archer who will still uses Frost Arrow twice in a single attack on a mob. The second one comes after the mob is stationary. Some ppl are just skill spammers and you can't change them.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Allynna_ - Dreamweaver
    Allynna_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You will learn more about your character playing it than buying heads. Yes you don;'t need 80+ levels of BH and grinding. However, fact is a Character that got to 80 by being played will be more skilled than one that spammed heads.

Shall Prove so with math:

Quest/Mob EXP:SP = 4:1, So for every 4 mil exp you can 1 mil SP
    Head EXP:SP 24:1, So for every 24 mil exp you can have 1 mil SP

24/4 = 6 , Therefore your character is literally 1/6th as skilled as one that didn't FC.
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I still cringe every time I think about an 8x cleric I encountered during BH69 a while back. They had no idea which spells to use and their gear consisted of white and 1 star level 30 stuff. They couldn't keep anyone alive and they definitely couldn't take a hit when they somehow got aggro. We should not have to tell a cleric (or anyone for that matter) which skills they should be using at that level. If I recall correctly, at least one person ragequit because the cleric was so fail and we ended up adding a high level guildie to help us complete it. That cleric was a prime example of why power leveling is frowned upon by some. A cave meant for level 80-90 players is not the appropriate place to start learning how to play. As someone else said, the earlier BHs that were skipped were the place for that.

Think doing heads until 80 is a good idea on a character you're not familiar with? Please stick to doing BH and FF runs with your faction. It's not fair to potentially cause others to lose the experience they worked for because you paid for all of yours.

Aside from the spirit issue, I don't have that big of a problem with people power leveling alts if they already know how to play and can afford to. By that I mean able to afford skills and gear appropriate for their level. What good is someone 80+ if they can't do their job and spend most of their time on the ground? We all make mistakes and die from time to time, but there's a difference between the occasional mistake and someone constantly **** up because they don't know how to play.
  • RyuTiger - Raging Tide
    RyuTiger - Raging Tide Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    People buy FC heads and at big lvl's they just dont know how to play they characters. I am lvl 99 and I never in my life buy FC heads...I just did BH's, FC and crazy stone, divine contract etc. Maybe beacuse I am barb is easy but in FC i seen cleric fail so so much. They dont know how to heal, they hit mobs say they are DD lol. So many fail people. Yestarday I make a squad with a cleric lvl 98 lol and she did not even heal...very rare and she start to kill mobs like she was a sin or something...The head is a bad idea for people . IS hard to find a cleric that is 100% cleric. I'm not saying to people to stop buy heads just say that if u dont have any idea how to play a character just start easy and play a least lvl 70 before buy heads because many good people can die because of you.
  • Dedz - Raging Tide
    Dedz - Raging Tide Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Play however you want to play.

But if you did just buy heads, at least let your squad know. Maybe they'll teach you what to do at certain parts of the (BH, TT, FC, delta, Nirvy, etc) run like "BB here", "just party heal here", etc etc

In this game, being lvl 105 doesn't make you pro. There's no point in debating over this buying FC heads issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You will never catch me. But if you do, someone else will take my place. b:chuckle
  • RyuTiger - Raging Tide
    RyuTiger - Raging Tide Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Play however you want to play.

But if you did just buy heads, at least let your squad know. Maybe they'll teach you what to do at certain parts of the (BH, TT, FC, delta, Nirvy, etc) run like "BB here", "just party heal here", etc etc

In this game, being lvl 105 doesn't make you pro. There's no point in debating over this buying FC heads issue.

You are so right. I did FC better with 80 lvl then over 90. A pro for me means you know what to do in a squad and when to do, not lvl or gear.
  • Marista - Lost City
    Marista - Lost City Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    A purely mechanical reason not to be an idiot and buy heads is because the spirit yield is pitifully low and you will not have any hope of keeping skills leveled, which is hard enough even with the normal 5/1 exp ratio. Don't believe me? Look at how much sp you get per head.

In general I consider buying and selling frost is the domain of people with little sense like the blatant cheater in this thread whose level should've gotten him/her/it banned weeks ago. It does take practice to know what to do, when. Lving semi-legit, even if it's mostly off bh or actual frost at +80, gives you some idea of what you're expected to know, both in terms of your class and the game's mechanics.

No matter what uninformed opinion some might espouse that this is not necessary, I've seen proof that it simply yields bad players. Some people are intelligent enough to pick up how to play quickly--most aren't. You're hurting both how much you can do to get enjoyment from the game and your ability to play it by buying frost, and I would strongly advise against it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So, I heard HA veno is the way to go? :3