Full attack cleric - Should I?

Options
Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
edited October 2011 in Cleric
So, I've come back to the game after a year's hiatus, and I wanted to try some new characters. I've looked up all the guides on FACs, but I imagine they're all somewhat outdated. A lot has changed since 2009-2010, really.

I wanted to try making a FAC for my newest character, which, after a lot of reading, sounds somewhat difficult, but I think I can pull it off. A full DEX and MAG cleric will definitely be horrendously squishy, which I'm sure is the reason why I barely see them. Also, I don't want to get kicked from groups just by saying, "Oh, I'm a full DD cleric - my heals aren't good."

So is this a good thing to try at this point?
Post edited by Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    Kaitica - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Uhh so your saying you want to make an LA attack cleric....

Horrible choice, difference in magic attack by a ton and you only get around 5% more crit and are as squishy as a sin or archer.

I only say LA because you can't wear armor with just dex and mag...
  • Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Actually, the DEX thing was just something I read in one of the guides. For a FAC, would you only put points in MAG and VIT then? I'm honestly not sure of the details.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Pure Build , LvL everything , get good gear ,

A cleric nowdays needs attacks debuffs and heals , squads and PVP are demanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Even if your the useless fac vital would be horrible. It would gimp you attack way too much. Don't be stupid by limiting your class like a pure weapon bm.

Pure is the only way to go, if you wanna kill something, it has to be able to kill you.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Only go pure mag if you can get good gear. By good gear, I mean getting at least 6-7k HP and a decent amount of pdef unbuffed. If not, add vit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Jianqiao - Dreamweaver
    Jianqiao - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Even if your the useless fac vital would be horrible. It would gimp you attack way too much. Don't be stupid by limiting your class like a pure weapon bm.

Pure is the only way to go, if you wanna kill something, it has to be able to kill you.

And at lower levels when only a complete idiot would refine their gear, a little VIT is very nice to have. My cleric had around 50 VIT with gear bonuses and that little buffer of HP saved my *** quite a few times.
  • Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So what I gather is that I need to do something like 6-5 MAG and 4-3 VIT ever two levels? Trying to work this out so I can be just as versatile as a regular cleric - that way your average group won't need two clerics. Since high MAG equals high attack/heals, I guess I'd go VIT/MAG, then.

Sorry if this is all making me sound dumb - just trying out a new thing that I haven't seen very much of.
  • Fulcanelli - Raging Tide
    Fulcanelli - Raging Tide Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So what I gather is that I need to do something like 6-5 MAG and 4-3 VIT ever two levels? Trying to work this out so I can be just as versatile as a regular cleric - that way your average group won't need two clerics. Since high MAG equals high attack/heals, I guess I'd go VIT/MAG, then.

Sorry if this is all making me sound dumb - just trying out a new thing that I haven't seen very much of.

I'm still kinda noobish but Im gonna say a few things (deal with it):

FAC doesn't requires a specific buid, in fact the most suitable build for that matter would be a pure build to maximize your damage output.

fo the vit issue, as others said, it can be usefull for low-mid levels but at endgame when you start to highly refine your gear all those points in vit are gonna get more usefull into mag:

clerics gets a very low benefit from vit points, it's cheaper at first but later your main source of HP it's gonna be shards and refines. You can put some vit points now and then but I recommend you to cap it at 40 or 50, so you can later use an intermediate reset note to transfer those points into mag, if you feel like it (intermediate notes resets 50 points, right?).

back to the FAC "build", the only way to make a cleric heavy oriented to attack is priorizing offensive skills at the cost of the supportive ones (like leveling wield thunder instead of revive).

at endgame, when you have alll your skills maximazed, I don't think that there is a real difference between a FAC or a "regular" cleric, as you called it, beyond playstyle.

just my opinion...

good luck with your cleric! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StacysMum - Dreamweaver
    StacysMum - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Since when did getting +3 on everything cost a lot of money? Don't do Vit, to get rid of that much vit endgame when you're gonna probably end up powerlevelling in the easiest dungeons ever designed its not worth the money. You heal, everybody else is a meat shield its not hard. All you need to do is lvl your heals and defensive skills and sort your genie out. When you hit lvl 100 you might actually have to god forbid kill things because nobody will help you, that's when you need to have attack skills levelled. You don't need to pvp, you will be in dungeons most of the time anyway (you'll get pwoned if you try as well).

Don't tell me I'm wrong, they ruined the gameplay not me. Besides if I could get a +3 refine pure build to 100 any moron can.
    PWI b:bye
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Cutting down on mag will cut a lot out of your damage, MP pool, and heal power. It'll get frustrating. Is your toon now a veno? I'd suggest let her farm a truck of coins, and use that to buy a unique +HP or +P.def gears or a tome for mag or vit. You're trying to get both ends of a stick being a good DD cleric, so it'll cost something somewhere because you only have a set number of stat point to spread around, be that stat point, coin, or cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firrestorm - Heavens Tear
    Firrestorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So, I've come back to the game after a year's hiatus, and I wanted to try some new characters. I've looked up all the guides on FACs, but I imagine they're all somewhat outdated. A lot has changed since 2009-2010, really.

I wanted to try making a FAC for my newest character, which, after a lot of reading, sounds somewhat difficult, but I think I can pull it off. A full DEX and MAG cleric will definitely be horrendously squishy, which I'm sure is the reason why I barely see them. Also, I don't want to get kicked from groups just by saying, "Oh, I'm a full DD cleric - my heals aren't good."

you amaze me with so much knowledge how did you level up so quickly to level 83
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options

I'm not entirely sure whether or not how you read all of these guides but...
    Dex? srsly on a cleric? ... and vit... might be handy in early lvl's but...come on, a cleric is the -only- class in the game that can actually heal itself from the get go without the use of a single hp pot.

Now, depending on how much time and effort you are willing to put into your char i'd say there are several ways you can go.
    I mean if you just cram a good few dollars into it you can get a far way and just buy your stuff + gear.
    But, and this is from what i see with my husband's cleric, alittle bit of time and effort can get you a tonload of good stuff and in the end a good toon. (mind you he's purely PvE)
    With a 5 Dex and another 5 vit he stands at:

6015 HP
    3876 Phys defence
    and 14204 - 17562 Mag atk.

And thats Unbuffed, now tell me that isn't a DD worthy cleric ?
    + No R9 or Nirvana is found on him.

Though if your sole purpose is to create a cleric that is "hardly" seen than by all means go ahead but then also you indeed risk the chance at getting kicked from squad without any notice, specially with how shortminded -some- people have forced to become within the current state of the game.

Just saying that if your serious about this toon there are alot of ways to have best of both worlds without suffering losses but you only wanna go "oh yeah *coolbear face* I'm a XXX build"... good luck.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    well ill tell ya this as a cleric i used to had 200vit and i dont remember the mag amount xD was a while ago but yeh my squads didnt know and i did as fine as a pure cleric just the diffrence.. i had to spam a bit more now im down to 90vit im also planning to go pure eventually .if yu have the coins to do hardcore refine just go AA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I personally haven't found a lower magic attack to be a problem with my high vit sage cleric.

>My build<

I don't have any lv11 heals (yet), but so far the only heals I found to be inadequate were no heals at all. I'm not interested in pvp at all, and if I were I'd make an alt more suitable for it (no, not a sin because I'm not lame b:chuckle).

My damage is a tad bit on the low side yes, but I never found that to be a problem either. Usually (a.k.a. always) I find myself teamed up with high APS users and my damage would get blown away like a **** in the wind anyway. In the few cases where I'm alone or soloing stuff for someone else it's more than enough.

If I could afford high refines (which I wouldn't waste on my current gear, but still) I'd probably go pure, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Some of the guides should be updated to this day. Full attack or full support terms are valid only at mid/low levels. At high levels you can have every skill and be full cleric.

Before people stayed below level 70 months and that level you can't have enough spirit if you don't die frequently or give exp to genie. (which wasn't possible before genies) So in past it was valid point to say support or attack. Now people are high level in no time with almost unlimited amount of spirit. All skills are available in no time so there is no point to limit yourself to support or attack.

Also cleric damage used to be competent to all old classes. Now casters can't compete with APS DDs and cleric's DPH hit can't compete with wiz and psys DPH.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    bleh lol i love the full attack cleric post...a arcane cleric with high mag,good gear is a full attack cleric..the mag dmg is insane and with good channel,very nasty.Trust me a LA cleric isnt gonna live any longer than an arcane clericb:laugh so stay arcane and pure,shard and plus your weapon and gear and you will be fine.Since day one on my cleric i have been doing 4 mag and 1 str per lvl and its almost 91,over 400+mag.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    nowadays 'full attack' or 'full support' just sounds like 'i aint capable or doing more than 1 job' or 'im that lazy'. Not gonna pass once past lv100 >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    nowadays 'full attack' or 'full support' just sounds like 'i aint capable or doing more than 1 job' or 'im that lazy'. Not gonna pass once past lv100 >.>

Not gonna pass 85, useless in RB(no rainbow much), psychic will out heal you, your tempest will drag aggro to you and you cant heal yourself, b:victory
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Trust me. Your tank knows how much vit the cleric has and how much magic they don't have. The only reason people don't point it out is because baby heals are better than no heals and they'd rather have a bad vit cleric than spend 20 more minutes and 150k in teles looking for a replacement so they give you a free ride. Clerics have the worst reputation as ragequiters of anyclass so people don't criticize even bad clerics.

And *Sighs* I seriously thought we were done with terms like "Full Attack Cleric" and "Full Support Cleric".

I leveled my cleric alongside a friend who was FAC while I was going FSC. He went something like 40 vit, I went pure magic. That's pretty standard for any build so it didn't really mean he was full attack or I was full support so we argued what the difference was. We came up with FACs attack more in a squad and they level their attack skills first.

But he did max alot of his heals, too. Because he needed them for pvp and for tanking mobs. I maxed alot of my attacks because it was easier to give a heal stack to my squad mates and then kill mobs rather than spam heals on people with full hp while mobs attacked them. So both of us leveled both our heals and attacks, him to be a better FAC and me to be a better FSC. The only non FAC skill is revive but he leveled it to find squads to get himself to a higher level.

Clerics, I believe, need less spirit than any other class. I had all my skills maxed by 74. I think he maxed them all by 77 or something. Its not a huge issue to level every skill.

He then restated to pure at 90+ so we have the same stat configuration. The stat configuration is basically the same. Stat the amount of vit you feel you need to cover your ***, the rest into magic for stronger heals/attacks. Only difference is how people play the game so why are people asking for builds?

So, other than the fact that he attacks and then heals as squadmates hp gets low and I give a heal stack first and then attack there really is no difference. He prefers a second cleric be brought along to heal so he can dd more but if that doesn't happen he fits the needs of the squad attacking when he can.

Btw, how come no one has said "want to attack and not heal, become a wizard/veno/psychic/archer/mystic" yet?
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Being an attack cleric does not mean you cannot heal. My idea of a full attack cleric is one with max level of plume shot and cyclone. Wield thunder, razor feathers, and Tempest do more damage but take much longer to channel. So in you alternate between cyclone and pShot, you will be able to do pretty much as much damage as you possibly can.

That being said, you can use the remaining spirit points on heals and buffs, and end up with a very well rounded cleric who can do anything.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Being an attack cleric does not mean you cannot heal. My idea of a full attack cleric is one with max level of plume shot and cyclone. Wield thunder, razor feathers, and Tempest do more damage but take much longer to channel. So in you alternate between cyclone and pShot, you will be able to do pretty much as much damage as you possibly can.

That being said, you can use the remaining spirit points on heals and buffs, and end up with a very well rounded cleric who can do anything.
    by the time your 90 u have a ton of SP and coin left. How can you NOT level them unless your either poor, stupid, or stubborn. >.> this is back in 2008-2009, so 2011 should have even more excess SP and coins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan