Demon or sage let me know

Young_Love - Archosaur
Young_Love - Archosaur Posts: 26 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Cleric
ya i cant seem to make my mind up on taking demon or sage any one with advice regarding bonus to them or which i should take would be nice

my toons is lvl 90 with 75vit / 380 mag / 50 str / 5 dex if that help in anyway to know which way i should go

any advice is help ty for helping
Post edited by Young_Love - Archosaur on

Comments

• Lana - Raging Tide
    Lana - Raging Tide Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    You will hear many different opinions about this, and it really depends on personal preference. All you can really do is checking out the skills, maybe grade their demon/sage versions and see which of both suits you best.
    Everything has its pros and cons, you have to figure out for yourself what is more important.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Nei_ - Sanctuary
    _Nei_ - Sanctuary Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    You should check the demon-sage skills at Ecatombs website and decice by yourself which path you like most.

Ecatomb: Cleric sage-demon skills

I went demon for some reasons,
    1. Purify does not need chi.
    2. IH regend MP on the target.
    3. Revive has half casting time.
    4. CHB (sqd heal) gives an extra 600hp
    5. SoR. gives 100% phys def during 15 sec
    6. Buffs-debuffs does not reduce your attack.
    7. Tempest has a chance to freeze targets.

The decision is up to you. I also recommend you to take a look at the skills you want in the server to know the prices and if you are going to be able to afford those. Demon skills goes more expensive than the mostly of the Sage ones.
    [SIGPIC]C:\Users\Fatima\Pictures\neivindicatequickfix.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I am pretty insistant on some culti paths. For instance, demon barb for pve or pvp, sage barb for cata. Demon bm for... everything, sage bm for 50 chi after you die. Demon veno for pvp, sage veno for support.

Except, clerics actually do have a pretty balanced culti and I wouldn't criticize someone for chosing either path.

I went demon because of demon rez and demon IH. Playing my other toons I really like having my mana healed by a cleric, it earns clerics major bonus points with me. Its nice as a tank to never have to worry about mana, that way I can focus on aggro. Also, I see alot of sage clerics do one of two things, either they have that 6 second rez time and they die or let people die while they are trying to rez someone, or they wear channeling gear just to cover their slow rez time but end up lowering their survivability.

I like that I can give people chi with my buffs.

I like that I can stack the tank before a pull or during a fight with SoR and they will get a defense boost. I however like sages vanguard better because you can use it during a pull because its only a buff, not a heal. Sage vanguard's defense boost also has a quicker channeling time. Yes SoR gives a heal and a defense boost, but I never actually use SoR for the heal (Its heal is about as effective as Blessing of the Purehearted in my book. Yes its a big heal but its too slow and eats mana, making it an inefficient heal).

I prefer sage debuffs.

I prefer demon seals for soloing.

Demon Celestia Guardian Seal is the same as Sage's Spirits gift, both will heal your mana, but I see Demon CGS for cheaper.

Sage IH is stronger.

Sage Wellspring is faster.

Sage Plume Shell absorbs more.

Sage Metal Mastery gives more dps.

As you can see, both sides have excellent bonuses and you gain some in one path and miss some by not picking the other path. I went demon and missed a few sage skills, but nothing I felt was really vital. My pdef is high so D Plumeshell is fine. My heals are fast enough so S Wellspring wouldn't make much difference. My heals are strong to the point that IH either saves the tank or doesn't, having another 17% more healing power wouldn't make a huge difference, especially considering I can make it up by sparking for channeling speed. Every other skill I have a demon counterpart for like SoR=Vanguard, and CGS=Spirits Gift. The only thing I really feel I missed out on was the longer debuffs in sage. But with demon I can pass chi, give mana, and rez quickly saving my squad from wipes. My culti was mostly about picking 2 skills that really matered to me.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    For me demon is quite easy choice. Sage path has some nice skills like vanguard spirit and magic shell but still in my opinion demon has more to give for me
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    As others stated, it really is up to personal preference, should be investigated thoroughly, and chosen to meet your playstyle.

I went sage for the following reasons:

*Sage revive allows me to revive from 40 meters.
    *Sage Ironheart heals even more.
    *Sage Purify has a near instant speed.
    *Sage Chromatic Healing Beam covers a wider area.
    *Sage Stream of Rejuvenation heals more.
    *Sage Wellspring is faster.
    *Sage Plume Shell Absorbs more.
    *Sage buffs allow me to buff the tank when pulling and not get get aggro.
    *Sage Vanguard helps me keep the tank as well as classes with lower physical defense alive.
    *Sage debuffs last longer, and silent's seal as well as chromatic seal are guaranteed at least a little bit of time to last.
    *Sage Metal Mastery increases all of my metal based attacks.
    *Master Li's Technique is quite useful to me, whereas Mo Zaun's Taunt is a waste since I never pk, and don't duel frequently.
    *Sages can build and save chi a lot easier than demons can (IMO).

*Sage suited my playstyle better. I have pretty high DPS already. Problem for me as a cleric is in low pdef. Sage helps to augment that issue better for me personally.

Some things that I do like about demon are:

Demon revive is twice as quick.
    Demon Wield Thunder reduces the targets metal resistance by 30% for 10 seconds.
    Demon Tempest has the chance to freeze enemies.
    Demon Spirit's Gift gives an additional 150% to magic attack for 10 seconds.
    Demon Purify requires no chi.
    Demon Ironheart can restore mana.

Note: There were several other skills that I liked for both. However, the above are the skills that caused me to go sage, and the ones listed below are the ones that made demon look really nice to me. Ultimately, its up to you to compare ALL of the sage and demon skills and make your choice based upon it. I went sage, and I really love and enjoy it. Others went demon and really enjoy it as well. Ultimately, its up to you and how you play.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Dollface - Harshlands
    Dollface - Harshlands Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    You should check the demon-sage skills at Ecatombs website and decice by yourself which path you like most.

The decision is up to you. I also recommend you to take a look at the skills you want in the server to know the prices and if you are going to be able to afford those. Demon skills goes more expensive than the mostly of the Sage ones.

Demon all the way <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Silvy <3
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I'd like also add that ironheart is already so powerful that I found the extra from sage version is not that cool as demon mana recover. Both are nice anyway. I also prefer demon spark over sage one. I'd also like to have master Li's technique but the Mo Zun's taunt has its own uses too.
  • Mesro - Heavens Tear
    Mesro - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Im currently at lvl 37 with my Psy and was wondering, when I get to where I can choose Demon or Sage, what are the main differences between Demon and Sage? Knowing the differences (in my opinion) would actually help to know which to choose. If anyone can help with this, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StacysMum - Dreamweaver
    StacysMum - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    She added 75 vit, without demon weild thunder debuff she will be ****. Unless she never plans on defending herself from anything then by all means go sage.

Demon wellspring will also out chi anything a sage has, so any arguement they build chi better is rubbish.
    PWI b:bye
  • Dollface - Harshlands
    Dollface - Harshlands Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Well I'm a demon cleric & usually the genie skill cloud eruption clears up my chi problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Silvy <3
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    She added 75 vit, without demon weild thunder debuff she will be ****. Unless she never plans on defending herself from anything then by all means go sage.

Demon wellspring will also out chi anything a sage has, so any arguement they build chi better is rubbish.

you make it sound like a sage vit cleric cant defend herself... i would beg to differ lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2011
    "Im currently at lvl 37 with my Psy and was wondering, when I get to where I can choose Demon or Sage, what are the main differences between Demon and Sage? Knowing the differences (in my opinion) would actually help to know which to choose. If anyone can help with this, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."

Your level 89 cultivation is when you choose between demon and sage paths. There is no clear cut difference that I can give you in the differences of them. Your best bet would be to search the psychic forums for guides on sage or demon, and if you still cannot find it to google it. Hope that helps some.

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

• SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    As others stated, it really is up to personal preference, should be investigated thoroughly, and chosen to meet your playstyle.

I went sage for the following reasons:

*Sage revive allows me to revive from 40 meters.
    *Sage Ironheart heals even more.
    *Sage Purify has a near instant speed.
    *Sage Chromatic Healing Beam covers a wider area.
    *Sage Stream of Rejuvenation heals more.
    *Sage Wellspring is faster.
    *Sage Plume Shell Absorbs more.
    *Sage buffs allow me to buff the tank when pulling and not get get aggro.
    *Sage Vanguard helps me keep the tank as well as classes with lower physical defense alive.
    *Sage debuffs last longer, and silent's seal as well as chromatic seal are guaranteed at least a little bit of time to last.
    *Sage Metal Mastery increases all of my metal based attacks.
    *Master Li's Technique is quite useful to me, whereas Mo Zaun's Taunt is a waste since I never pk, and don't duel frequently.
    *Sages can build and save chi a lot easier than demons can (IMO).

*Sage suited my playstyle better. I have pretty high DPS already. Problem for me as a cleric is in low pdef. Sage helps to augment that issue better for me personally.

Some things that I do like about demon are:

Demon revive is twice as quick.
    Demon Wield Thunder reduces the targets metal resistance by 30% for 10 seconds.
    Demon Tempest has the chance to freeze enemies.
    Demon Spirit's Gift gives an additional 150% to magic attack for 10 seconds.
    Demon Purify requires no chi.
    Demon Ironheart can restore mana.

Note: There were several other skills that I liked for both. However, the above are the skills that caused me to go sage, and the ones listed below are the ones that made demon look really nice to me. Ultimately, its up to you to compare ALL of the sage and demon skills and make your choice based upon it. I went sage, and I really love and enjoy it. Others went demon and really enjoy it as well. Ultimately, its up to you and how you play.

You forgot the fact the Demon Silent and Chromatic Seal doesn't give you that negative effect upon casting (even though those debuffs can quickly be removed with sage purify).

Other than that that's the same reason why I went sage (added with the fact that I can get most of my sage skills at 89). b:victory

Pretty much, the moral of this thread is that its pretty much up to you if you want to go sage or demon since both paths are pretty neat. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
    edited September 2011
    Originally Posted by StacysMum - Dreamweaver

This. I strongly disagree with. Wield Thunder is a powerful skill even before sage/demon cult, and if the op made it that far, then they do have some way in which to defend themself. That one skill being upgraded to demon doesn't make, break or define a character. If it did, then that would mean that wield was a barely functional skill for the op at first, and it being upgraded to demon is the only way that enough power could be generated to kill mobs. That being said, both demon and sage have very good cult paths, and I've seen lots of good sage, as well as demon clerics in this game. In the end op, its up to you to do the research and decide which style best suits you, your playstyle and character based upon the advanced skillset that both provide. Don't let the amount of demon or sage clerics that you see here on the forums, or in game sway you. Neither build is a fail build. Both have wonderful advantages to them. As mentioned before, checking the prices of the books in the auction house should also play a factor. No use in a skill that you cannot afford. Choose based upon your playstyle and how it best suits you. Its your cleric, and you're the one that has to play it, so you may as well choose a style that you feel most comfortable with. I am a sage cleric, and proud of it, and believe that I chose the right build for me and my playstyle. I deal very good damage, and can heal very good as well. My defenses are also pretty good now. The demon clerics that posted are also happy with their builds for various reasons as well, but ultimately its up to you. I won't sway you in either direction. I'll just tell you that I'm glad to be a sage cleric, and the reason why. That's why I posted here in spite of being in the minority thus far. Lol.
    Good luck with your decision. Its up to you.

edited September 2011
    @SilverCleric: I didn't forget about the lack of negative effects from demon chromatic and silent seal, but since the effect can be purified off of me, it wasn't as significant of a factor as the other skills to me. It is a nice perk of being a demon cleric though. Lol.

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    @SilverCleric: I didn't forget about the lack of negative effects from demon chromatic and silent seal, but since the effect can be purified off of me, it wasn't as significant of a factor as the other skills to me. It is a nice perk of being a demon cleric though. Lol.

Yah, needing to take the time to purify yourself kind of removes the added perk of increased seal time since you spend that extra heal time purifying yourself, losing chi and mana. Demon its seal->IH stack-> debuff-> attack without adding a fourth step.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited September 2011
    Yah, needing to take the time to purify yourself kind of removes the added perk of increased seal time since you spend that extra heal time purifying yourself, losing chi and mana. Demon its seal->IH stack-> debuff-> attack without adding a fourth step.

I agree. Both are good. That was a factor that I liked about demon the demon seals. I took them into consideration as well, but personally, I still enjoy being sage, and admittingly I do enjoy the sage debuffs that I have too. Wish that I could be both demon and sage really. LOL. b:laughb:laughb:laugh

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Meh, the fact that you have an increased chance for the seal not to last merely a second kinda evens it out for my playstyle, which isn't pvp. Besides, sage purify is darn near instant. I like both seals a lot. <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    SAGE 20% CHANNELING ANY TIME IS WIN, WHO NEEDS A SHINY RED SPARK PF! xD b:thanks b:bye
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    Kaitica - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    SAGE 20% CHANNELING ANY TIME IS WIN, WHO NEEDS A SHINY RED SPARK PF! xD b:thanks b:bye

Me and any sin, archer, barb, bm, cleric, veno, mystic, wizzie who wants to reach 5 aps.

Seekers and psychics are out of the question here
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Me and any sin, archer, barb, bm, cleric, veno, mystic, wizzie who wants to reach 5 aps.

Seekers and psychics are out of the question here

mystic, cleric, wizzie to reach 5 aps? ._. b:laugh

APS = Sin or BM, enough said, barbs ugh dont even touch aps please... stick to cata, and archers? >_>; stick to your bow.
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • _SparkPlug_ - Heavens Tear
    _SparkPlug_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2011

One to add:

8. Spirits Gift adds 150% Magic attack for 10secs.

I just love everything about an demon cleric and I'm full support. b:pleased

ps: fimmelpotze went sage though. and damn.......HE PWNED. makes you think