The bad news and the good news (the real reason sale canceled)

2»

Comments

• Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I'm wondering if anyone knows how PWE (US) is really structured.

Looking at the Financials, it looks like the revenues from Licensing in US, Europe and Japan in total, makes up only about 8% of total PWRD revenues. That also means that the US only part of it may be less than 5%, not a big number and this is for ALL titles, not just PW.

This implies that PWE (US) is an Independent company but is bound by whatever contractual arrangement the License terms are. They may have little say in what the parent company does, although after the market price drop, the PWRD management is probably more open to suggestions.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Looking at the Financials, it looks like the revenues from Licensing in US, Europe and Japan in total, makes up only about 8% of total PWRD revenues. That also means that the US only part of it may be less than 5%, not a big number and this is for ALL titles, not just PW.

This implies that PWE (US) is an Independent company but is bound by whatever contractual arrangement the License terms are. They may have little say in what the parent company does, although after the market price drop, the PWRD management is probably more open to suggestions.

PWI doesn't license PW. PWI is a somewhat autonomous subsidiary of BPWCL. Now PWI is getting in trouble with PW-CN for horrible mismanagement.

/thread
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    PWI doesn't license PW. PWI is a somewhat autonomous subsidiary of BPWCL. Now PWI is getting in trouble with PW-CN for horrible mismanagement.

/thread

Ah thanks for clarification, I re-read the 2nd Qtr 2011 statement.

"This quarter was no exception as we posted strong performance from our subsidiaries in the United States, Europe and Japan." *rolleyes* well they had to eat it for the 3rd quarter.

This means the 8% licensing is from other countries besides these 3.

Bad news then is that unless the Chinese management gives PWE more programming autonomy, everything comes down from China, including bad decisions.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    http://www.benzinga.com/news/earnings/11/09/1919105/perfect-world-lowers-q3-revenue-guidance-to-rmb702-741m-vs-rmb756-803m

in short the sales cancellation come from the top, that is the sale isnt coming back, at least not for a good long time. There was a corporate decision to lower short term profits in favor of extending the lifetime of their games. Corporate is cognizant that the sale would decrease the lifeline of the game, in essence, killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

the good news is that corporate has decided against a final milking of PWI, in favor of keeping a smaller but longer lasting stream of income. so they killed the sale, instead of killing the game. Not that the sale itself would kill the game, but, the corporate strategy behind the sale would have.

Understandably, this reason could not be announced prior to pulling the sale, as the emergency maintenance was damage mitigation.

But there was no reason to lie to the players when no reason was actually required in order to perform the emergency maintenance or to pull the sale.
    I'd say that article doesn't prove anything completely. It's a good guess this is what they meant, but... it just doesn't sound like them, y'know? If PW China was really interested in the sustainability of their game, they'd have been enforcing a tighter leash on PWE long before now.

I mean... I'm very "cautiously optimistic" right now, because if this is true, it means that some people over there are actually getting their heads out of their rears, and telling their counterparts on our side to do the same. And that would be significantly awesome. But this is PW we're dealing with here, and most of us have learned to never trust promises made by any aspect of the company to the letter.

Frankly, I've had fun watching the forums today. It's nice to see the CSers and heavy merchants get trolled for once instead of the rank-and-file semi-casual crowd. And phrophecize whatever doom you will about the heavy spenders QQing/ragequitting but, if this game is ever gonna be sustainable, it's gonna have to **** those people off in the short term by undoing some of the changes that made this game broken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    The decision to slow down ingame promotions should not affect promotions that have already been announced - and... are STILL being advertised on the website, almost up to 24 hours later.

This is not good business ....

Note that the banner add is active and not archived. So all day, since the patch they have been advertising a sale that has been closed.

Someone needs to get their act together. If they thought about it they would realize that they are irritating an already angry client base that has powerful word of mouth. The reaches of social media, online blogs, newsgroups and forums alone - could halt any potential new signups and stymie the retention of existing players.

If this cancelation off the orb sale is related to this article, I seriously recommend some of these decision makers to create an account, and fly across these maps several times during the day. They would find a dying product -- with the mismanagement and inappropriate planning of whom ever is planning ingame-sales - to blame.
  • WangZi - Dreamweaver
    WangZi - Dreamweaver Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    ORBS! b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig made by Dorset b:victoryb:thanks
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Bad news then is that unless the Chinese management gives PWE more programming autonomy, everything comes down from China, including bad decisions.
    Therein has lied the problem from the very start.

As for this issue, the players are morons and will fall for this excuse -- well, that's their logic. I guess for the most part they're right but wow, this game really has been **** itself at a faster rate as time goes on..
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    On a side note. Fixing goon glitch is barely on the devs to do list. No other versions are able to hyper inside frost. I just had a player from PWIC from the Philippines server send me a screenshot. They are unable to turn it on inside FCC. Making it so people can't hyper inside frost on this server would fix the abuse of the glitch and make people have to level outside instances for a change. ALSO I have one of the chinese players I talk to and he said they cannot hyper frost on the CN server either. b:shutup

This, I keep saying this. I believe PWI wanted to throw off the label that it's an "Asian Grinder" to American players but they tried way too hard. That and R9 too...I don't think PW-CN has that many R9...

funny how people kept posting about "greedy Chinese" when they haven't had half the ridiculous sales we've had.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    BlubZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2011

there is no EU version of this game anymore only PWI's some servers are on EU and for teh record http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_World_Entertainment PWI is not a lisenced game such as PW-MY =)
  • Luxiouss - Harshlands
    Luxiouss - Harshlands Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    none of those articles have anything to do with pwi its all about jade dynasty in china lol...
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    BlubZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    none of those articles have anything to do with pwi its all about jade dynasty in china lol...

"Perfect World Entertainment is the US subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. NASDAQ: PWRD)"
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    "Perfect World Entertainment is the US subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. NASDAQ: PWRD)"

i think what he meant is that it has nothing to do with perfect world (THE GAME) but has alot to do with perfect world as a company. but since it affects the entire company it also effects the games for that company as well.

PW (the game) isnt affected directly but indirectly because of the companies bad decision making. atleast thats what i gather from all this.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    So basically PWI rewarded the rich with a unexpected 1 day +11+12 orb sale.

what was the objective again?? b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • condo2009
    condo2009 Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Any new players will leave by level 60 because 105 will never happen for them, probably not even 90. With all you cheaters violating the tos in fc, YOU yourselves killed this game, so don't really blame PWI when YOU yourselves violated the terms. You should ALL be banned forever.
  • Sesshomaru - Lothranis
    Sesshomaru - Lothranis Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Thought they said they nerfed goons......Apparently nerfing goons is counter productive as people will not be able to buy r8 and r9 if this were the case. And also it is much better to have ppl being able to wear end game gear hence more CS and open these packs
  • Sesshomaru - Lothranis
    Sesshomaru - Lothranis Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    They should have told the truth and also told us they that are withdrawing the sales at least a few hours in advance.... This sale made me buy gold from AH at 1.3mil....and now i am stuck with gold....and the prices went back down again....

Sucks to be me
  • Sazzora - Harshlands
    Sazzora - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Thought they said they nerfed goons......Apparently nerfing goons is counter productive as people will not be able to buy r8 and r9 if this were the case. And also it is much better to have ppl being able to wear end game gear hence more CS and open these packs

Like it would be hard to reach lvl100/101 without FC...
  • PVM_only - Sanctuary
    PVM_only - Sanctuary Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    i wish some hacker would get inside PWI and "breaks" the charging part.

to see if PWi learns that money isnt everything

we dont have GM's now we have carsellers, they just wanna sell.
    i remember when we had a chat room with a Gm on and we had support IN-GAME, now we need to submit a ticket and get a reply 1 week after when not 1 month after.
    i made a vouch long ago, no more charge till they fix somethings and i think more ppl should do the same
  • asldfkj
    asldfkj Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    condo2009 wrote: »
    Any new players will leave by level 60 because 105 will never happen for them, probably not even 90. With all you cheaters violating the tos in fc, YOU yourselves killed this game, so don't really blame PWI when YOU yourselves violated the terms. You should ALL be banned forever.

**** off, ive worked hard to get first char to 101 had 2-3 shops open allmost 24/7 so i can afford geting char from 1 - 101 with weeks even without the fc glitch, so look to mirror, lazy bum, and work harder. the hard part is to get one char to 100+ then everything else gets easier instantly (if you have merchanticed and got some gear)
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It's out now. PWI stocks have declined majorly within the past year (apparently losing $46m RL cash?) And apparently they plummeted 17% last night because of the orb thing.

And 2 years ago, the stock value on Nasdaq was a bit over 49.00$, yesterday it was at $13.92$....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    condo2009 wrote: »
    Any new players will leave by level 60 because 105 will never happen for them, probably not even 90.

Um... it really isn't that hard. I personally have 3 chars at 100 or over, 1 in the 90s and more in the 80s and I have never hypered. PW made it way easier to level with the introduction of BHs, especially with 3 per day. And yet people still complain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Um... it really isn't that hard. I personally have 3 chars at 100 or over, 1 in the 90s and more in the 80s and I have never hypered. PW made it way easier to level with the introduction of BHs, especially with 3 per day. And yet people still complain.

This ^^

To this day I don't know how ( and on't really care ) to activate hypers.

Level, is of no value, only skill.

I play casually on the german server and this week only my Mystic went from 40 to 50... I made no effort whatsoever and he just went woooosh 10 levels :P

That's what 2x does to you ( not playing more than 3 hours per day these days )

IMO it's very positive they try to expand this game's lifespan
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    This ^^

To this day I don't know how ( and on't really care ) to activate hypers.

Level, is of no value, only skill.

I play casually on the german server and this week only my Mystic went from 40 to 50... I made no effort whatsoever and he just went woooosh 10 levels :P

That's what 2x does to you ( not playing more than 3 hours per day these days )

IMO it's very positive they try to expand this game's lifespan

It IS positive they attempt to expand the game's lifespan.

However, they SHOULD have been thinking about this 2 years ago when they started this downward spiral, starting with unbalanced classes and permanent pack sales. Every unpopular move they make shortens the game's lifespan.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It IS positive they attempt to expand the game's lifespan.

However, they SHOULD have been thinking about this 2 years ago when they started this downward spiral, starting with unbalanced classes and permanent pack sales. Every unpopular move they make shortens the game's lifespan.

True, but hey... better late than never???? Just hope it wasn't too late b:surrender
  • ResiaTri - Heavens Tear
    ResiaTri - Heavens Tear Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    The only thing I use Hypers for...Grinding/Farming for spirit, that's it.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    BH isn't the only new thing. There's MQ, there's Cube (or at least, Cube is much more accessible to the casual player now)... I could've gotten to 100 without hypers easily if I wanted to.

But then, I could've been 100 a year ago if I wanted to. XD It was only a matter of actually getting off my *** and doing it (along with the person I level with). Until then I'd just been dumping all my cube exp into new genies. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • BaldwinBoy - Dreamweaver
    BaldwinBoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    On a side note. Fixing goon glitch is barely on the devs to do list. No other versions are able to hyper inside frost. I just had a player from PWIC from the Philippines server send me a screenshot. They are unable to turn it on inside FCC. Making it so people can't hyper inside frost on this server would fix the abuse of the glitch and make people have to level outside instances for a change. ALSO I have one of the chinese players I talk to and he said they cannot hyper frost on the CN server either. b:shutup

adding to your side note with mine:

Yes even before the glitch its a shame they allowed the use of hypers in FC and in many ways that single decision has led to more game-breaking than any sale or any gooner as it destroyed the fabric of the game.

The saddest indictment of this game came from Frankie (sry didnt look for the post itself) when explaining their only option to the goonz glitch at the time was shutting down FC. This they didn't want to do as its their most popular instance.

Frankie its your only instance for 90% of the player base - I wonder about starting out in this game now and arriving at Hidden Heroes village only to find out the npc's had packed up shop due to lack of business!

When I was levelling up in my 90s in the fall of 2009 I grinded Wanted 14s - its ironic back in the day I would head east out of a desolate snowy village kill my 70 shieldbearers rinse and repeat. 2 years on when i levelled my seeker I did the same thing as personally have always hated FC with a passion and see no reason to rush (heck ive been 103 for a year and only 38% to next level!). How times have changed, now when i head out of snowy village to the east and kill my shieldbearers the town is jam packed with everyone else heading west.

Packs killed the economy but FC killed the very soul of this game - when you clearly have such support for both from the Devs dont expect anything to change and as for new content - lol get ready for new classes you can just alt FC again.

It's too bad - but I'll still kill my Shieldbearers and think about the good old times.

/nostaligicmodeoff
  • NowYouDont - Harshlands
    NowYouDont - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    So what in essance your say, YAY go you you've got to 101 and now no R9. Why introduce it in the 1st place and milk it like a cow if you could see it running PWI in to the ground. That to any normal sain person is real bad business sence.

I dont if other feel this either but when I 1st took up playing PWI I thought yeah this is a good game, this is when gold started at 200k, then you introduced the packs I thought yeah i could get used to these and did so. Then came the hypers, Blessing etc etc, then came R9. I do understand that its a buisness and your out there to make money, whose not. But to allow all the heavy CS to get all there R9 gear +12 (oh thanks for make the game free to all of you's). But to then deny all those that actually work at the game and grind and make there coins access to R9 gear seems a little, well @!*$@!! unfair in my opinion.

My understanding is that maybe you should have thought this through a little better in the 1st instance. Now if you we're to confirm that yeah it was definatly to be reintroduced at a date in the future maybe just maybe it would feel like such a kick it the teeth
  • Sucubus - Lost City
    Sucubus - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Op fishie qq about no r9 suck dosent itb:shutup
    let retry we nurf ur class and let the gm give you rank 9
    a good nurf.......