9-11-01 ....A Moment of Silence

2»

Comments

• aclucius318
    aclucius318 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Theres been bigger disasters with more devastating effects.

Stop blowing this thing into such a big deal, the only people who should be crying are those involved, either directly or by being related / close friends with victims.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between a natural disaster and a terrorist attack. Let me explain:

A natural disaster, such as Hurricane Katrina, the Earthquakes in Indonesia and Japan, and even the Greensburg Tornado are tragedies. Most people will empathize with those affected. These are natural disasters though, they are, unfortunately, expected to happen as it is just the way nature works. We don't want them to happen, but we have no control over them. They are indeed horrible.

A terrorist attack though is far more tragic. It is not because there was more or less people killed, or the ways they died, or the amount of property that was damaged. It's because we (humans) have the ability to control these things, yet don't. Now, this isn't me going on saying "Bush made 9/11 happen."

If you are one of those people, leave now and shut up, I'm not a fan of Bush but there is no way he would want any citizen to die needlessly. Was he a great president, not really, he had his moments good and bad. He is still a good person though, just ask anyone in the Secret Service, they would know what kind of man he is. Back to the subject.

A terrorist attack can be stopped. We as humans do not have to kill each other, do not have to torture and maim each other. We have a choice of whether or not we hurt others. The fact that a group of men wanted to hurt other people is what makes it worse. The fact that one person can do that to another is what makes it worse. bin Laden had a choice to not attack anyone, to attempt to achieve his goals through humane ways, but he did not. That is what makes a terrorist attack worse than a natural disaster. That it can be prevented, but is not is what makes it worse.
    You read me wrong :/

It was a disaster, it sucks those people all got killed, but 7 years (If not more, im not sure and dont care) of "being sad" about it is just pathetic. Hiroshima doesnt get this much worldwide "empathy" and it was miles worse.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were tragic as well. However, you are comparing apples to potatoes, it isn't even to an orange. The atomic bombs dropped were truly horrific. Were they necessary? It is debatable, but there are two things to consider with it. First, America was attacked first. They did not ask to be brought into a war, but were regardless. Second, it was war.

You cannot compare a war time decision to try and end a war which most likely never would have ended otherwise (until either America surrendered, or nearly every Japanese person was killed) to a terrorist attack. The Japanese are very proud and would not give up the war unless they were struck with such a decisive blow that they had no choice. War is like that unfortunately, and it is not fair or right, but it is war nonetheless. Should Nagasaki have happened? Probably not. Three days was not enough time to allow the Japanese to completely consider their options. However, it did ultimately end the war much sooner.

in terms of disasters hurricane katrina was probally equal to 9/11. but not many ppl care about that either. the earthquake over in japan was even bigger and affected an entire country rather then just a city, yet ppl (americans in particular) dont care. infact some americans even went as far as saying japan got what they deserved because of pearl harbor. its kinda sickening and utterly disgusting really.

You were just on PolIo's case about being ignorant, yet you say that? Do you realize how ignorant that statement is? Unless you know at least 50% of the American population on a personal level, you really can't make that claim. Seeing as I very much doubt you know even a fraction of a percent of the American population, I doubt you would have much credibility in knowing what "Americans in particular" thought.

As an American, I can say that in my city, there were many people organizing to send supplies to help the Japanese after their earthquake. Yes, there were people saying they got what they deserved for Pearl Harbor, but those people were few and far between, and quickly put down by many others who did not think alike. Just because a small group say something doesn't mean the entire, or even most of the country think the same.

I'm not going to say what Americans in general thought about any one thing, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and usually the group appearing to be loudest is the one saying the most outrageous things.
  • rainbowyoshii
    rainbowyoshii Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    aclius, you DO realize terrorist attacks happen ALL the time and not just during the events of 9/11 right?

also do you remember that entire "karma" fiasco on facebook that happened about japan and pearl harbor when the earthquake devastated japan?

im not attking anyone in particular honestly and if u take it as a personal atk then im sry. but im just stating it the way i see it. i never even said "all americans" . so id apreciate if u dont stuff words into my mouth.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    aclius, you DO realize terrorist attacks happen ALL the time and not just during the events of 9/11 right?

No one was saying it doesn't happen. No one was saying they don't sympathize with it. You know what? I'm not American. My country is hit by terror attacks on nearly a daily basis - I don't care if no one sympathizes with me, I myself am almost apathetic to those reports because it's the reality I live in. However, I do sympathize with the 9-11 attacks.

Now please, let this topic carry on for the purpose it was opened for.
  • rainbowyoshii
    rainbowyoshii Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    No one was saying it doesn't happen. No one was saying they don't sympathize with it. You know what? I'm not American. My country is hit by terror attacks on nearly a daily basis - I don't care if no one sympathizes with me, I myself am almost apathetic to those reports because it's the reality I live in. However, I do sympathize with the 9-11 attacks.

Now please, let this topic carry on for the purpose it was opened for.

and yet you are saying i dont sympathize with it? shelly if you dont understand my point then please dont make blind accusations like with the 2 posts u made against me. the same goes for anyone else who think i dont sympahize with the events that happened 10 years ago on this day.

but with that ill respect ur wish and not derail this any further. i shall officiall drop it now.
  • aclucius318
    edited September 2011
    Edit to respect Shelly's request.
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    A mod should close this thread. Or at least move it to the off-topic section...

Anything with political overtone as a subject is bound to turn bad.

Even tho I sympathize with those affected by these acts of terrorism, I don't think this forum is the best place to talk about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Why hasn't this thread been moved to off topic? as it has nothing to do with PW, I aint going to sit here and say "my prayers/thoughts/what ever goes out to the people that died/familys" because to start with, it's a forum that belongs to a game, second, I highly doubt the people related to 9-11 will be reading this.

Do your jobs, mods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • VenoMKII - Harshlands
    VenoMKII - Harshlands Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Who remembers the dates of the London Bombings? Without googling them?

Few, because its not in America, land of the "important" >_>
  • DuckTapez - Archosaur
    DuckTapez - Archosaur Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    oh brilliant, the drama has managed to carry itself over to a topic that's not even game-related
    let's just close this thread before things get any worse
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Duct tape is like The Force: bright on one side, dark on the other. It holds the world together, and, if not handled correctly, becomes a sticky mess.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I am not going to comment on some of the more moronic posts from above since it'll just escalate. However, I do agree that this does not belong in GD.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • aclucius318
    edited September 2011
    Who remembers the dates of the London Bombings? Without googling them?

Few, because its not in America, land of the "important" >_>

How many people outside America know the date of these attacks? Well, you didn't considering you said...
    ...but 7 years (If not more, im not sure and dont care)...

My guess is you probably didn't even know that today was the 10 year anniversary of the attacks until someone mentioned that the anniversary was coming up, and even then you didn't realize it was 10 years, not 7. Why do we know this date so well? Because it is something that affected us. Typically people will not remember dates unless they have a profound impact on them.

For example, I remember 9/11, I remember when Micheal Jackson died, I remember when Elvis died, I remember when I was born. I remember the days my dogs died, I remember the day my brother joined the Army, I remember the day my best friend had committed suicide. Why do I remember these dates? Because they affected me. Why do so many people remember 9/11? Because it affected them.

But you know what the main reason why most people will remember 9/11? It's because it was the most successful and devastating attack on America since Pearl Harbor. And worse yet, it wasn't a declaration of war by another country, it wasn't an attack on our military installations; it was a terrorist attack that killed thousands of civilians and injured over twice as many.
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Bah silly American humans...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I just remember sitting in my 7th grade homeroom, watching the news thinking, "What the hell just happened?".
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    From the HT forums:

I was actually playing a game at the time the first plane hit, and saw the second one hit live on TV (CNN). Had my fear and rage (at the time I lived in he U.S.) of people with turbans and a certain skin colour, but following that small fit of irrationality, the only real respect left I had was for those who were normal passengers on those planes, in the buildings, and those trying to rescue others -- and may they rest in peace. Beyond that, with the phony pseudo/super patriotism that followed along with the decals, support ribbons, and other tangible abominations plastered everywhere, obviously people in the U.S. did not learn a lesson about the importance of freedom and openness, rather, to give an appropriate analogy, the falsehood that a piece of cloth and symbolism is more important than the things it represents. I just hope Canada learns from the U.S. and doesn't trod down the same path.

I haven't really mourned since 2001, but rest assured, this was supposed to be a test of freedoms that the U.S. failed on, and furthermore led to the degeneration of how the U.S. is now seen in international eyes. For the sake of their own future, I hope Americans wake up, and finally learns the real lesson of 9/11. I lost trust in the U.S.'s ability to protect my freedoms and foster a healthy environment for my children. Again, I hope Canada doesn't go down the same path.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    .....people, please.

This was not supposed to be a political thread.This thread was started to be no more than a way to honor those who died, those who worked to help, those who lost loved ones. One of the greatest disasters of this country. One that people around the world stopped for a moment, or longer, to honour. This thread was made for that purpose, not to be something to fight over. If it continues to be a thread which insults are flung, it is my wish that it be closed by a moderator, and the insulting comments removed.

Please let this thread stand for those of us who honour freedom and those who fight for it, and those who have been affected by the events 10 years ago. Give them peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    If you want to "honour freedom", then let people say their piece and enjoy the fact that people are expressing it, even if you don't agree with it.
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I was in my Pre Calc class as a Freshman in Highschool and we all went to the auditorium and spent the next 3 days of school watching the news.
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2011

This says it all, everything I have tried to convey:

"I'M GLAD TO BE AN AMERICAN, GOD BLESS THE USA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • VenoMKII - Harshlands
    VenoMKII - Harshlands Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited September 2011

This says it all, everything I have tried to convey:

"I'M GLAD TO BE AN AMERICAN, GOD BLESS THE USA!

It really does say it all.

"EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, I WANT ATTENTION"
  • Fulcanelli - Raging Tide
    Fulcanelli - Raging Tide Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    (silence)

now:

General Discussion
    From Spiritual Cultivation to Territory Occupation. This is the forum for anything Perfect world related.

mods, who are so concerned applying the forum rules, move this thread where it belongs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eden - Raging Tide
    Eden - Raging Tide Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It really does say it all.

"EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, I WANT ATTENTION"
    for some ppl in the states obnoxious flag waving and try to bossing others around is part of their modus operandi

rip those who died

hope foxrunning gets some help for his/her problem
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I believe this thread has served its purpose, and I know that today conjured up some memories for me that I would have rather forgotten. I can just remember being in art, and having our teacher pull out the TV, with my class and the next class to come in watching in stunned silence... This is good, though - to be reminded that life is fragile, and to live each and every moment to the fullest. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones on this terrible day 10 years ago, and even more to those whose loved ones were the ones helping others escape the towers even as the towers collapsed around them.

Closed.
This discussion has been closed.