'Hacking' & Safe Code

Options
Majesta - Dreamweaver
Majesta - Dreamweaver Posts: 268 Arc User
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
Dear fellow gamers :3

The reason for making this thread is because several people in my faction/FL got '****' lately.
'****'? -> I don't believe in the real hackers: getting **** that way is almost impossible in PWI.
'****' = giving your account info to someone else, either a person you thought you could trust or a phishing site. Logging in later and finding all your money and valuable items are missing...

So for all you people out there: set your SAFE CODE.

Set a safe code, that is different from your pwi log in password (duh?) for your account. You can do this at any banker. Once set, you have to enter the safe code first to be able to get into your bank and/or take gear off of your character. Thus making it impossible for people to get to your good stuff. Just dump all your money and valuable stuff in your bank. Just keep pocket money on your char then.
If you don't have enough space in bank to store everything, wait till you wanna log out and place all the non tradeable items in your bag, thus making space for valuable items to store in your bank ^^

In any case: do -not- give you safe code away to anyone!!!! (you shouldnt have given your pwi log in data to someone else in the first place).

It's a shame these things happen, especially when they thought a person could be trusted.
But I hope this thread can prevent some of it happening, cause this is something I wouldn't wish my worst enemy b:sad

~ Majesta
When I got the meaning of melee mixed up:
'Maj.. Melee ffs.. means I'm punching you in the face 1 foot away!'
>.<
Post edited by Majesta - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This is very good advice, sadly many people still fall for the "****" and then people will forget their bank codes. But this is good. ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    '****'? -> I don't believe in the real hackers: getting **** that way is almost impossible in PWI.
    '****' = giving your account info to someone else, either a person you thought you could trust or a phishing site. Logging in later and finding all your money and valuable items are missing...

DING! We have a winner.

And you're absolutely correct. Anyone that could really **** your account would be far more interested in gaining ahold of your ebay account, your paypal account, financial accounts, etc... a video game would be the least of your concerns.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    actually i know who did it... i have an ss of some guy threating via blue chat to **** me. hes either the world's stupidest hacker or just some **** nub trying to intimidate me. needless to say... i laugh in his face.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • ShadowsWrath - Heavens Tear
    ShadowsWrath - Heavens Tear Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

^^ This

It still really surprise's me how many people share their account info with other's, wether that be a supposed RL friend or ingame GF etc. Then scream blue murder when their account is stolen.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just a curious question from an inquiring mind...

I have always wondered this:

Why is there not a pass code for Account Stash?

You have the same one for your gear protection and bank...so why not your stash? O_o

Just a thought b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Amorzka - Harshlands
    Amorzka - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's more likely that your friends either used weak passwords or shared them with a "friend" who then shared them with someone else.

Seems a bit silly to me to share like that as with most players, I haven't met anyone online in the so-called real life.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I know a couple people that have given out their account info to people they've never met online.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I know a couple people that have given out their account info to people they've never met online.

I had to read the above like 6 times -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And you're absolutely correct. Anyone that could really **** your account would be far more interested in gaining ahold of your ebay account, your paypal account, financial accounts, etc... a video game would be the least of your concerns.

But what if those other servers do not have known bugs, but the PW server does?

"Hacking", in the real sense, requires a bug in the server. So IF someone would discover that the PWI server login software is flawed, we WOULD see real account hacks.

However, it's far easier to secure a server than it is to get the actual game bug-free. I'm not in the business, but I've never heard of a "real" case of hacking. It's ALWAYS some sort of giving away your information.

Currently I'm literally flooded with "account management", "account verification", "your account has been closed" etc. mails for WoW. Funny enough, I never played that game... but it's one of the games where I think that even regular generic malware might go for the account logins, as valid accounts might sell well enough. I don't think any F2P game is THAT successful, though --- there might be "bots" and other "tools" designed to phish your account data instead of doing what they claim to do, but those are targetted specifically at PW (or whatever game) users.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Armsman - Archosaur
    Armsman - Archosaur Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Some advice I was given in one of the first games I played:

Never trust anyone you can't walk up to and punch in the face.
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    Majesta - Dreamweaver Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

^-- epic win xD
    When I got the meaning of melee mixed up:
    'Maj.. Melee ffs.. means I'm punching you in the face 1 foot away!'
    >.<
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Currently I'm literally flooded with "account management", "account verification", "your account has been closed" etc. mails for WoW. Funny enough, I never played that game...

Funny, same for me but I only got one email from them saying my password had been changed and my email flagged it immediately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Fist_Mama - Harshlands
    Fist_Mama - Harshlands Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I had to read the above like 6 times -.-

im still reading it...i still dosnt make sense to me
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Safe code, been done long time ago. Needs to be a security code on the stash as well though.

But as far as so-called hackers getting financial info by "hacking" my account. I don't cash shop, so PWE has no financial info on me.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    im still reading it...i still dosnt make sense to me

b:surrender Glad it's not just me. He is lucky I know him b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    But what if those other servers do not have known bugs, but the PW server does?

"Hacking", in the real sense, requires a bug in the server. So IF someone would discover that the PWI server login software is flawed, we WOULD see real account hacks.

However, it's far easier to secure a server than it is to get the actual game bug-free. I'm not in the business, but I've never heard of a "real" case of hacking. It's ALWAYS some sort of giving away your information.

Currently I'm literally flooded with "account management", "account verification", "your account has been closed" etc. mails for WoW. Funny enough, I never played that game... but it's one of the games where I think that even regular generic malware might go for the account logins, as valid accounts might sell well enough. I don't think any F2P game is THAT successful, though --- there might be "bots" and other "tools" designed to phish your account data instead of doing what they claim to do, but those are targetted specifically at PW (or whatever game) users.

Excuse my misuse of the term hacking as opposed to cracking, phishing, key-logging, packet-sniffing or whatever. I use the term colloquially as many people here who claim to have such things happen to them call it 'being ****'.

Even if they were to gain access to the login/name server, it's possible that data is encrypted anyway, so having access doesn't necessarily mean that you've been compromised. Example would be message boards, there are a number of boards that have had exploits or hacks that could give them access to modify or delete files, but in none of the cases I know were people's accounts or private messages compromised. It would take a successful attempt at phishing it from you or most likely you giving out your details to someone that you shouldn't have trusted.

Even if your user name is ABCDEF and your password is 123456, it's highly unlikely that your account would be compromised by someone even trying. From what I understand if you have multiple failed attempts at accessing your account it may be banned, however I'm not sure if PW's security system actually allows for this.

/off topic
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Egaenil - Heavens Tear
    Egaenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

b:puzzledb:infuriated the more i read it.. the more confused i got.. i think i got it for a sec.. but come 2nd thought.. i dont... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"wink wink"
  • Hontaru - Heavens Tear
    Hontaru - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options

GUYS How Do you Put Safe Code On Gear? I Already put Safe Code On Bank, But how you Put In Safe Code On Gear??????
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This is good advice. Seriously though are there people that don't already do this? Most people learned this as a lowbie. I learned this by a friend that went to Iraq and then had his super rare mounts (back in 2009) stolen by a "friend" and he never got them back.
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited September 2011
    Options

GUYS How Do you Put Safe Code On Gear? I Already put Safe Code On Bank, But how you Put In Safe Code On Gear??????

Bind it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    *cough* necro and +1 to post count....but honestly this should be sticked or atleast the OP. Maybe this will open some of the eyes of idiots.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Kalirin - Sanctuary
    Kalirin - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have never ever given out my PWI passwords to anyone and never will but I have been given friends log in info before and do know someone that was ripped off badly by a so called friend that he had known for many years. He trusted the friend and ended up losing millions and millions worth of gear and money. I always say dont trust anyone and this proves the point. So many people will do anything to get FREEBIES so no matter how many warnings are given you will always get those that give out their Info then cry on wc that the lot has gone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sanct - 100 Sage Cleric
    Sanct - 100 Demon Bm
  • CrusherJam - Dreamweaver
    CrusherJam - Dreamweaver Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options

+500 Heh
    19k Hp and rising my goal is 20k unbuffed (would love 25k )
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cmon mods, you're on the clock. How fast can you lock a necro b:shutup
  • RealVonDutch - Sanctuary
    RealVonDutch - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If "hackers" want it, they can get in PWI accounts and alter information.
    No question, but the chances are so slim, that only if u **** a guy off really hard enough, he would attempt it cause its personal.

my advice:

Dont be a douce, don't be too t(h)rusting
    Sins are Scissors, Psychics are Rocks, and Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.

Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock ...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    necronecronecro
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Dear fellow gamers :3

The reason for making this thread is because several people in my faction/FL got '****' lately.

So for all you people out there: set your SAFE CODE.

Set a safe code, that is different from your pwi log in password (duh?) for your account. You can do this at any banker. Once set, you have to enter the safe code first to be able to get into your bank and/or take gear off of your character. Thus making it impossible for people to get to your good stuff. Just dump all your money and valuable stuff in your bank. Just keep pocket money on your char then.
    If you don't have enough space in bank to store everything, wait till you wanna log out and place all the non tradeable items in your bag, thus making space for valuable items to store in your bank ^^

In any case: do -not- give you safe code away to anyone!!!! (you shouldnt have given your pwi log in data to someone else in the first place).

It's a shame these things happen, especially when they thought a person could be trusted.
    But I hope this thread can prevent some of it happening, cause this is something I wouldn't wish my worst enemy b:sad

~ Majesta

sorry your friends were involved in the (buy coin sites),are they going to admit..hmm prob not.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
This discussion has been closed.