Veno pets can't tank multiple mobs

Options
krishnaya
krishnaya Posts: 47 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Venomancer
I have a lvl 80 veno with herc. Yes I can tank many bosses and such. The problem is that I don't see ANY pet skills that can grab hate from multiple mobs. Some one told me I can tank frost as Veno. Sure I could tank the bosses. But on groups of mobs like 5-10 mobs, there's no way to do it.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreicated.
Post edited by krishnaya on

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Besides doing similar to a normal AOE grind that involves utilizing a herc's reflect skill and taking melee damage, there's no way any reasonable FF will involve a herc tanking anything but bosses (I remember when my herc used to tank everything but Fragrance). Whoever told you that you could tank anything but bosses and keep a run going in a speed reasonable for an FF run was smokin' some good stuff.
  • HildieGarde - Heavens Tear
    HildieGarde - Heavens Tear Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    There is no AOE pet aggro skill other than Reflect.

In Phoenix Valley I found that if i waited long enough before healing my Herc, it could generate enough aggro to keep the mob from running to me. Even so you have to be ready to catch the occasional stray runner or you'll get killed.

The usual method is to hit each mob a few times before healing and nuking.

In the old days before powerleveling, Venos would practice the fine art of tanking multiple Seaspray Bladewolves. Hit a few times then move on to the next until you reach the max number you can tank at your current pet heal level.
  • Novie - Sanctuary
    Novie - Sanctuary Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    There is no AOE pet aggro skill other than Reflect.

In Phoenix Valley I found that if i waited long enough before healing my Herc, it could generate enough aggro to keep the mob from running to me. Even so you have to be ready to catch the occasional stray runner or you'll get killed.

The usual method is to hit each mob a few times before healing and nuking.

In the old days before powerleveling, Venos would practice the fine art of tanking multiple Seaspray Bladewolves. Hit a few times then move on to the next until you reach the max number you can tank at your current pet heal level.

Pssh I'm totally still doing that when my little lvl 62 gets a little stronger :P
    Sanctuary - Novie 84 Archer inactive
    Sanctuary - Avatea 62 Veno (with herc) b:victory
    Dreamweaver - Nova 60 Cleric inactive
  • tfi3f
    tfi3f Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    krishnaya wrote: »
    I have a lvl 80 veno with herc. Yes I can tank many bosses and such. The problem is that I don't see ANY pet skills that can grab hate from multiple mobs. Some one told me I can tank frost as Veno. Sure I could tank the bosses. But on groups of mobs like 5-10 mobs, there's no way to do it.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreicated.

When you're level 90 you can basically solo FC up to the bishop boss. I never really tried again since hitting lvl100, so I don't know yet if I can kill bishops fast enough. At lvl 80 soloing mob groups in FC is difficult. I'm not sure how much that difficulty had to do with the fact that at lvl80 I was LA build and not yet pure mag.

As pure mag at lvl90 I could easily kill most mobs out of a group without needing to heal the herc more than say, twice or thrice max.

As for pulling say the assassin mobs and all that, I'm not sure whether or not you could do this in multiple group pulls all at once. Never tried, used to just keep my hypers on and pull group by group.
    Valhalla disband. That is all \o/

"The thing about winners is... they get to write the history books, and they get to analyze everything from high atop their winner's perch.

Doesn't matter what the circumstances are." -- Burnout, Harshlands, Wizard.
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    tfi3f wrote: »
    When you're level 90 you can basically solo FC up to the bishop boss.

I'd like to know how you manage the second boss. I have no problems with the Bishop spawning boss; I get assistance for the second boss though.. maybe because I won't use pots.
    I never really tried again since hitting lvl100, so I don't know yet if I can kill bishops fast enough. At lvl 80 soloing mob groups in FC is difficult. I'm not sure how much that difficulty had to do with the fact that at lvl80 I was LA build and not yet pure mag.

The mobs at the beginning die fast enough that they can be AoE'd, I tend to let Herc tank other groups near end while I peg them off one by one.

JanusZeal is just a loser troll.
  • tfi3f
    tfi3f Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I used to glitch the boss, basically like this:

I wait until the boss breaks out of the ice, then I hit it with scarab, and use demon fox to run out to the stairwell. My herc gets caught at the line separating the room and the stairway (and so does the boss), and I make it attack the boss. The boss keeps trying to random-aggro-bubble me, and rarely attacks the herc. I stand at the top of the stairs and wait a bit.

Approximately once every 25% of the boss's HP it will begin to attack the herc. Do not try to run down the stairs to heal it. The first time you see that the herc's HP is low enough that you must heal it, unsummon it, then resummon it and heal it, rebuff it, and send it back. The boss won't reset since it still has you on its hate-list, and you're still within aggro range.

Now the herc is no longer caught behind the line, so subsequent needs to heal can be satisfied by just pull the herc back with "Follow", heal, then resend. It will die in about 20min. Note well, my herc doesn't have bash, flesh-ream or claw...I have Blessing of the Pack on my herc, so it kills a lot slower. Most people in here don't have a full tank-build herc with Blessing, and have put Bash on their herc. So for most people the boss will probably die in 10-15 min.

So basically you stand at the top of the stairs and pull the herc back when you need to heal, then send it back in. If you say you can solo bishop boss, then w00t for me, I got all the mats for my TT99 wep yesterday except for the gold mats, so in about 2 days I'll have a shiny new +6 Tt99 glaive to complete my -channeling farming set...sounds like I might be able to solo FC (>o_-)> <(o_-<). Slasher boss is easy and EXP room boss too...only reason I couldn't was because of Bishop boss.
    Valhalla disband. That is all \o/

"The thing about winners is... they get to write the history books, and they get to analyze everything from high atop their winner's perch.

Doesn't matter what the circumstances are." -- Burnout, Harshlands, Wizard.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Sure a pet can grab aggro on multiple monsters:
    Alt-1, tab, Alt-1, tab, Alt-1, tab...

Or, as already mentioned, send the herc in and let reflect do its thing.
    Don't expect to be able to unload your full aoe barrage instantly, though (unless you're sure it'll kill everything)

Or, you know, lure and kill one at a time. I don't think anyone ever said soloing frost as a venomancer was efficient...
  • Tabbycat - Harshlands
    Tabbycat - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    On a herc there isnt really an aoe skill besides reflect but it isnt really an aoe skill. When i aoe grind with my herc, I normally let the herc attk the mob then go to the next one, and let the previous one catch up attk my herc, and repeat the process. Ofc throw a random heal in every now and then. Reflect helps keep agro bc it makes it look like the herc is attking back when it isnt. When i got a nice group ( say about 10-15) I unleash noxious gas and sometimes nova.

A veno cant solo frost(the boss) o.O Who told u that? Sure its not sugarly sweet but its doable. I did it for one of my faction members.

Now for FC, I can tank just about all the bosses but i need some dds for bishop and a cleric for bubble boss. My wiz friend and i take care of the mobs in 2 shots.
    Im a pretty veno
    Short and sexy
    here is my tail
    and my ears are pointy
    When i get all pissed off
    hear me shout,
    Ill **** ur **** up and knock you out b:pleased
  • TattooAngel - Archosaur
    TattooAngel - Archosaur Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Really? My boyfriend just sends his buggy in (it has Bloodthirst, Flesh Realm, Tough, and Claw), and he does just find taking on 3-5 monsters at a time. He stands back a little further than I do when I send my pet in so maybe that's why.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Really? My boyfriend just sends his buggy in (it has Bloodthirst, Flesh Realm, Tough, and Claw), and he does just find taking on 3-5 monsters at a time. He stands back a little further than I do when I send my pet in so maybe that's why.
    <3 Buggy. So underestimated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • BabaORiley - Dreamweaver
    BabaORiley - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    What is a buggy?b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The exodus is here
    The happy ones are near
    BabaORiley
  • Olivia_Munn - Sanctuary