Assassin Attributes?

Benae - Heavens Tear
Benae - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Assassin
Okay, so I'm an idiot and decided to completely abuse the Attributes. At any rate, mine are all screwed up, and I need to know what to do to fix it. Kinda. So, prepare to see something that might sting your eyes.

Level 26
Vit. 29
Str. 47
Mag. 35
Dex. 51

my guess is, Vitality and Magic aren't very important? What should I do? Herp a derp, like I said, I'm an idiot :)

OH AND, there's no way to take points away from attributes after you've set them, is there? ;-;
Post edited by Benae - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Basic requirements for an assassin:

Str = Level + 4 (at end game, this includes adds from gear)
    Dex = Everything else
    Mag = 5 (or 3 if you get a reset note somewhere down the line)

At early levels, you can salt your vit to taste, but don't overdo it. At end game, it's advised to stat all of your vit to dex (I did, and my survivability went up). But early game the extra bit of vit can help to even the playing field as a LA melee char. More vit means that you're at less of a risk of getting 1-shotted, but it also means you'll be killing slower. Personally, I wouldn't add more than 1 vit/level or take vit above 53, but everyone has their own preference.

You can change your attributes after the fact if you purchase a reset note, but for a level 26, it's more cost effective to just start a new character. You can send anything you want to keep over to it and levels 1-26 go by quickly.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Well, you can buy reset notes for 3, 5, and 15 gold but if your avatar is right and you're only level 25 it'd be easier to just reroll and start at level 1.

Vitality helps in the lower levels but around level 45 stats in dexterity increase your survivability more than vitality does because you heal more from bloodpaint damage which dex increases. For light armor you need 1 strength per level (your level +4, basically). You don't need points in magic. Really, pure dex is the way to go.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Benae - Heavens Tear
    Benae - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I would, but I wanna keep the char I have now ^^' it took me a while to get to level 26. /noob
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    Nahla - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Let me be honest, you may like the character you have now - and it may have taken you a while, but the amount of money it would cost for you to restat would be so much better spent to make a new character.

You can get from 1-30 in under an hour simply grinding with hyper EXP stones.

Let's say it would cost you 10 gold to restat fully, (which if i'm correct in my guessing it should - I'm not online right now so I can't check the boutique)

Right now, gold is about 1,400,000 coins each on my server. That's about 12 million coins that you could have (after fees of selling the 10 gold) from selling the gold versus buying the necessary reset notes.

You can make hyper stones for 80,000 coins each on my server, (buying 8 tokens for 10,000 coins each from a shop and trading them for hyper stones at a PW Boutique Agent (these are near most bankers in main cities).

5 Hyper stones gives you an hour of 12x exp, which should me enough, if not more than what you need to get you from 1-30. So far that's 400,000 coins spent to level a new character from 1-30.

Leaving with you with 11.6 million more coins to do with as you please.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I personally have learned to completely ignore the 'you need x dex and x str per level, with a maximum of x str at level x' builds, they're so STUPID COMPLICATED.

If this is your first character ever, you might want to follow one of those guides.

If it's an alt, seriously, you should just save the new stat points when you get them, go to the tailor and blacksmit, and see how many str you REALLY need for the next 10 levels, stat that in early, then stop worrying about it for a while.

A lot of Sins here are going to say 'You really don't need Vit'. I very much beg to differ. Vit not only gives HP, but it increases your defenses (slightly, very slightly).

My 94 Sin has 90 base Vit, 110 with gear. I have 6400 HP buffed. I can get up to 9k PDef if I get the minor PDef base buff, bell, and Vanguard (BM and Cleric buffs). With less vit, that HP drops quite a bit. I'd have 3,400 HP buffed with 5 Vit in my current gear. My PDef would only be 7k with base buffs, Bell, and Vanguard if I had 5 Vit.

So, yes, Vit is important. How important, is up to you. I have a +7 TT90 dagger, I pull aggro off Sins my own level with much more Dex, and even more APS (not that that's really easy to do, I'm only short a tome... and Demon Spark for APS, I do have Hooks, but I'm sorry... TT90 Soul of the Sea will do more DPS when it procs at 1.67 APS vs Hooks at 1.82, same refine).
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    edited September 2011
    I personally have learned to completely ignore the 'you need x dex and x str per level, with a maximum of x str at level x' builds, they're so STUPID COMPLICATED.

If this is your first character ever, you might want to follow one of those guides.

If it's an alt, seriously, you should just save the new stat points when you get them, go to the tailor and blacksmit, and see how many str you REALLY need for the next 10 levels, stat that in early, then stop worrying about it for a while.

A lot of Sins here are going to say 'You really don't need Vit'. I very much beg to differ. Vit not only gives HP, but it increases your defenses (slightly, very slightly).

My 94 Sin has 90 base Vit, 110 with gear. I have 6400 HP buffed. I can get up to 9k PDef if I get the minor PDef base buff, bell, and Vanguard (BM and Cleric buffs). With less vit, that HP drops quite a bit. I'd have 3,400 HP buffed with 5 Vit in my current gear. My PDef would only be 7k with base buffs, Bell, and Vanguard if I had 5 Vit.

So, yes, Vit is important. How important, is up to you. I have a +7 TT90 dagger, I pull aggro off Sins my own level with much more Dex, and even more APS (not that that's really easy to do, I'm only short a tome... and Demon Spark for APS, I do have Hooks, but I'm sorry... TT90 Soul of the Sea will do more DPS when it procs at 1.67 APS vs Hooks at 1.82, same refine).

Although she has a point, kind of - I'd say don't go with any vit.
    There's a great website, for once you know a little better about the game and what kind of gear you would like to have later on called pwcalc.com.

It'll help you see where you'll want to cap things like STR, (and vit if you really do decide to get any).

For example, your STR (and dex) as a light armor wearer only needs to be your level + 4.
    So for example, if you want to wear the TT90 armor set, you'll have to have at least 94 strength and 94 dex to wear it.
    The necklace you should be wearing at level 87, called Sky Demon's Pearl, gives you 8 str as an added bonus.
    So if you're 90 and have 94 strength base stat and you add the additional 8 from the necklace then that's 8 points that could have gone into your dex and raised your damage and crit.

Obviously dex should not be an issue since it's your main stat and will be coming out of your ears.

However for Vit, although this may seem complicated now - later on you'll better understand what you want to do about it.

Every point of VIT you have will give you 10 HP. Not much compared to a barb's 18. Vit is ultimately your choice, but you can easily get HP more efficiently from sharding your armor with citrines and refining.

Let me also mention that taking a lot of points away from dex will seriously reduce your overall damage and base crit%.
    When you go with builds that reduce your damage to raise your defences and hp, you'll need to end up having to overcompensate with a high refined weap.

For me, as someone who cannot spend a lot of money on the game, +7 very hard to get.
    Besides, if Sarra's sin can steal aggro easily with her +7 weap and a vit build, don't you think she'd have much more impressive damage than she already has if her sin were BUILT specially for damage?

Another thing I would like to note is bloodpaint, it changes everything. It's basically a skill where you're basically not taking any damage when you have high enough attack.
    But don't worry about that right now.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Nahla makes a good point about the economics of things. but if you really, really want to keep the character you've made so far...

you can leave the str as it is until you hit level 43 or so. you don't need to add any more of that until roughly then.

you can ignore the vit, for now. maybe some day you'll want to restat it away, but it won't hurt you too very badly for a while.

the big problem is that mag. really, you want to move thirty points of it into dex. i can't check the boutique prices right now to see what the cheapest way of doing that is, but ten gold or so sounds believable to me.

even restatting your mag into dex you'd STILL be low on dex for a while, and you'd be putting nothing but more dex in for many a level. it's possible that it would not only be cheaper but less frustrating playing for you to roll a new character, and save yourself those levels of too little dex giving you too little damage output.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    edited September 2011
    Nahla makes a good point about the economics of things. but if you really, really want to keep the character you've made so far...

you can leave the str as it is until you hit level 43 or so. you don't need to add any more of that until roughly then.

you can ignore the vit, for now. maybe some day you'll want to restat it away, but it won't hurt you too very badly for a while.

the big problem is that mag. really, you want to move thirty points of it into dex. i can't check the boutique prices right now to see what the cheapest way of doing that is, but ten gold or so sounds believable to me.

even restatting your mag into dex you'd STILL be low on dex for a while, and you'd be putting nothing but more dex in for many a level. it's possible that it would not only be cheaper but less frustrating playing for you to roll a new character, and save yourself those levels of too little dex giving you too little damage output.

5 gold for just the magic - which like i said, 5 x 1,400,000.
    And gold is nearing 1.5mil on my server.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    gold was holding somewhat steady at 1.36 mil on heaven's tear this morning; if anything it seemed to be falling a little. haven't checked token prices since before the anni packs were released, but they were at 10.5--11k back then, i guess they might be a little lower now since anni packs seem to be selling briskly. that'd impact the prices of hypers for leveling a second character fast, but not by enough to change the balance i don't think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    edited September 2011
    gold was holding somewhat steady at 1.36 mil on heaven's tear this morning; if anything it seemed to be falling a little. haven't checked token prices since before the anni packs were released, but they were at 10.5--11k back then, i guess they might be a little lower now since anni packs seem to be selling briskly. that'd impact the prices of hypers for leveling a second character fast, but not by enough to change the balance i don't think.

Pack sales will be all this week, which will shove a TON of tokens into the server probably pushing their price closer to 9k at the end of the week.

Regardless of how low gold goes, I'm certain it won't dip below 1mil.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2011

How exactly is "str = level + 4" complicated?

I'd never leave points unallocated. It's not that hard to look ahead at what you need. It's especially not hard for LA and AA.

Per vitality point, assassins get 13 hitpoints, .25 m.def points, and .25 p.def points. The defense attributed to vit is negligible so the only part worth considering is the hp gain. Vit is only good if you're new to the game and/or don't have gear to not be a 1-shot.

Back to the OP, if you're dead set on keeping your current character, try to get a reset note and move the magic into dex, as Lenie and Nahla have said. But, seeing as how gold is incredibly expensive, I'd recommend recreating your character or learning how to merchant in a hurry. (The latter you'll want to do at some point anyway.)