Teleport map cut off

garanaga
garanaga Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Support Desk
I know what to expect, but I need to ask this. Is their a PERMANENT solution to this problem, or is the only fix so far to change resolutions? Because from what posts I have seen (most of them closed from at least a year ago) not much has changed. Or am I missing something?
Post edited by garanaga on

Comments

• garanaga
    edited August 2011
    I dont use windowed mode, so kinda useless to me. When I play games, I want a fullscreen experience, not feel like I am playing a browser game. But thanks for another alternative. Just does not provide a proper fix without having to play in windowed mode
  • sexysausage
    sexysausage Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i know pwi must fix this asap, can barely teleport anywhere south or north without having to change resolution or play windows mode....FIX PLZ
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    The fact is, this problem has been in the game for over a year. A year!!!! They have since added another expansion to the game, yet not even tried to fix the issue. Instead we get told to either play in windowed mode, or change the resolution. Well I am here to tell you that aint happening. I play games fullscreen. I am not into browser games. When I play games, I expect full resolution support. I mean for gods sake, it shouldnt take over a year to fix should it? It is a minor fix from what I can see.

I dont ask for much. As you can see I dont really post that often, because I dont really have a problem with the game. I actually enjoy it. I just hate having to mess about with settings everytime I want to go do something. When I set everything up, I expect it to stay that way and not have to mess with it anymore. A permanent fix will solve it. Please sort this out b:sad
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    oh, much more than a year. this has probably always been how the game client behaved, from the very beginning. the chances of it ever being fixed are tiny at best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    oh, much more than a year. this has probably always been how the game client behaved, from the very beginning. the chances of it ever being fixed are tiny at best.

If that is the case, then why in the hell has noone even tried to fix it? Is it because not enough people complain? Or because everyone is happy to use every other fix without complaint?
    edited August 2011
    garanaga wrote: »
    If that is the case, then why in the hell has noone even tried to fix it?

the problem isn't losing them any money --- or at least they don't think it is --- and they can't figure out how to make any more money off the fix. simple as that.

making us players happy is not high on their priority list, if it's even on that list at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    got same problem - only annoying every day if i try to tele to RT to pick up my nirvy keys-
    (so yes- its bugging loads of people everyday since lots of ppl pick up theyr nirvy keys every day)
  • amingwati
    amingwati Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I got the same problem.. b:surrender
    my monitor is 1366 x 768, and whenever I use that resolution the teleporter map and world map screen got cut off in top and bottom..
    I tried couple of other resolution like 1280 x 720 and 1024 x 768, the 1280 got the same problem with 1366.
    with 1024 x 768, the teleporter map is working perfectly, but I got a black stripe on left and right side as the screen become 4:3
    when I checked the "16:9" checkbox while using 1024 x 768 res, the screen become extra small and the teleporter map still cut off.. b:shocked
    so now I have no choice but using the 4:3 ones.. b:surrender

widescreen is more fun, why they don't fix this problem.. b:cry
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    amingwati wrote: »
    I got the same problem.. b:surrender
    my monitor is 1366 x 768, and whenever I use that resolution the teleporter map and world map screen got cut off in top and bottom..
    I tried couple of other resolution like 1280 x 720 and 1024 x 768, the 1280 got the same problem with 1366.
    with 1024 x 768, the teleporter map is working perfectly, but I got a black stripe on left and right side as the screen become 4:3
    when I checked the "16:9" checkbox while using 1024 x 768 res, the screen become extra small and the teleporter map still cut off.. b:shocked
    so now I have no choice but using the 4:3 ones.. b:surrender

widescreen is more fun, why they don't fix this problem.. b:cry

By the sounds of it, they dont want to make the effort of even trying to fix it. Since this problem has been in the game for more than a year, it is very much looking that way. b:irritated
  • Okcis - Heavens Tear
    Okcis - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I have a 1920x1200 widescreen desktop resolution and had the same problem as well with the game until I figured out how to fix it.

Basically what I did was made sure to not have the 16:9 option selected. I also don't have the 'UI Size' option selected either (not sure what that one does though).

The teleport map should be easy to use then, the only thing that is cut off is the PWI logo in the bottom left.

Did this help for you?
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    I have a 1920x1200 widescreen desktop resolution and had the same problem as well with the game until I figured out how to fix it.

Basically what I did was made sure to not have the 16:9 option selected. I also don't have the 'UI Size' option selected either (not sure what that one does though).

The teleport map should be easy to use then, the only thing that is cut off is the PWI logo in the bottom left.

Did this help for you?

My resolution is 1920x1080 and both widescreen and UI are both unticked. So no I am afraid that does not help. I have tried with them on, with one off, one on, and that does not work either.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    Switch it to a 4:3 resolution instead of a 16:9 resolution. i.e. 1600x1200 and use windowed so it doesn't stretch.

Although truly, in most resolutions with a height greater than 1000 it hasn't been an issue. Even in HD, (1900x1080) I don't have a problem with the map getting cut off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    Switch it to a 4:3 resolution instead of a 16:9 resolution. i.e. 1600x1200 and use windowed so it doesn't stretch.

Although truly, in most resolutions with a height greater than 1000 it hasn't been an issue. Even in HD, (1900x1080) I don't have a problem with the map getting cut off.

I dont use windowed mode. I will NEVER use windowed mode. I want to play a fullscreen game, not a browser game. As for no problems in HD, my resolution is 1900x1080, and I still have the problem of a cut off map.
    edited August 2011
    I dont use windowed mode. I will NEVER use windowed mode. I want to play a fullscreen game, not a browser game. As for no problems in HD, my resolution is 1900x1080, and I still have the problem of a cut off map.

1900/1080 ~= 1.76; 16/9 ~= 1.78, so yes, no wonder your map gets cut off. (4/3 is, of course, 1.333 repeating.)

on my netbook i have a 1024*600 resolution which works out to an aspect ratio of around 1.71. this still cuts off my map, but not by enough to block any of the teleporters.

that any given (high) resolution would avoid this is regrettably just false; it's all down to aspect ratio. 1920/1200 is 1.6 exactly, so you'd expect little cutoff there.
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    1900/1080 ~= 1.76; 16/9 ~= 1.78, so yes, no wonder your map gets cut off. (4/3 is, of course, 1.333 repeating.)

on my netbook i have a 1024*600 resolution which works out to an aspect ratio of around 1.71. this still cuts off my map, but not by enough to block any of the teleporters.

that any given (high) resolution would avoid this is regrettably just false; it's all down to aspect ratio. 1920/1200 is 1.6 exactly, so you'd expect little cutoff there.

A small chunk cut of is not so bad, if it does not intefere with teleporting, which of course it does at the moment.
  • RTigerfish - Harshlands
    RTigerfish - Harshlands Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    maybe I missed it; maybe I didn't but what kind of graphix card are you using? if its new enough to still be under warranty I recommend you consult the manufacturer about the drivers for it and see if there is a more stable version than what you are using. Im currently running a XFX 6870; and on my other machine a ASUS 5750. The 5750 had a similar problem with the game until I uninstalled the drivers and went to an older version. IDK why the OLDER card was being such a pain if anything I expected the newer card to have the issues with incompatible drivers; though I still do get pwi window dropped down and minimize infrequently (a hazard of running skype or utorrent or even some websites in the background who call for resources when something happens). Also you might wanna check the forums on your card maker site (if they have them); I dont know anything about this bug but that is how I fixed what seems to be the same issue on the 5750. So hope this helps.

On a final thought it might be your windows visual c++ acting up. similar problems with Maffia II on steam had to wait for a new version to even play it.

So this sounds like a software compatibility issue from person to person; some having it some not; which might be why they havent technically fixed it; they just wait for the graphix card companies to apply a relevant patch in the mean time ur in limbo.

check around and see what you can find. if ya post your graphics card model number; the version that you currently have for the drivers; the firmware version; and the c++ windows version i might be able to help more i might not. i will at least be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Sun_Burn - Lost City
    Sun_Burn - Lost City Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Its a pwi issue, not graphics card. It varies to some users and some not because people have different (better) screens. The people that have wide screen monitors like myself have this problem. (yes you can change your screen ratio but imo that makes the game look like complete **** on my screen, very blurry)

Its been here since the start of the servers, PWI's excuse is that the game wasn't intended for widescreen monitors.

Welcome to how PWI runs things, don't expect it to get fixed if it doesn't affect their profits.

Only thing I can tell the OP is to keep switching back and forth to different ratios when teleporting to the north or south of the map, that is the only solution unless you go get a monitor that isn't widescreen.
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    Its a pwi issue, not graphics card. It varies to some users and some not because people have different (better) screens. The people that have wide screen monitors like myself have this problem. (yes you can change your screen ratio but imo that makes the game look like complete **** on my screen, very blurry)

Its been here since the start of the servers, PWI's excuse is that the game wasn't intended for widescreen monitors.

Welcome to how PWI runs things, don't expect it to get fixed if it doesn't affect their profits.

Only thing I can tell the OP is to keep switching back and forth to different ratios when teleporting to the north or south of the map, that is the only solution unless you go get a monitor that isn't widescreen.

Oh I paid bloody good money for this monitor. Do you think I would fork out even more cash just to downgrade for this game? Besides, isnt widescreen the norm now? So they should actually make an attempt to fix it, especially since they made sure everything is is compatible with resolutions upto 1900x1080 and beyond.
  • Wolfenstine - Harshlands
    Wolfenstine - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I just had to replace my monitor since mine stopped turning on yesterday. My only options to my dismay were wide screen monitors. On my old monitor a 20 inch normal lcd monitor i had my graphics settings at 1400x1280 which was the highest that that monitor would accept and i had no problems with my map. Due to finances at the moment i had to buy a 20 inch wide screen monitor. With this new monitor it is running at 1600x900 which i know is my problem. Now when I get into the game my map is cut off from right below misfortune to right above Raging tides island. I have read all of the previous posts and none of them give any form of true answer to the problem/ SO with that in mind here is my complaint. I dont care if PWI was never meant to be played on wide screen monitors. PWE needs to get with the program and face reality that wide screen monitors (only God knows why) are the norm. I understand that everyone needs to watch their movies on their 24 inch+ computer monitors instead of their 40+ inch tvs because it is so much better quality. I need a fix to this problem. I cant stand not being able to see my map so if i want to teleport to Snowy village to do an Eden run i can. I know I know they say run in widowed mode. that didnt work either. no matter how i setup my window i cant get my map back. SO please just fix the stupid monitor resolution settings issues and make the game recognize wide screen monitors.
    edited August 2011
    the true answer has been given a number of times over --- use a 4:3 aspect ratio, or close to it. on your screen, try 1200*900 or something like that, possibly in windowed mode if your monitor won't let you use that for a desktop resolution.
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    the true answer has been given a number of times over --- use a 4:3 aspect ratio, or close to it. on your screen, try 1200*900 or something like that, possibly in windowed mode if your monitor won't let you use that for a desktop resolution.

No. This should be fixed, not make everyone use "fixes" that make the game look like ****, or make it look like a browser game. Not everyone is like you, and can make do. Some of us actually prefer quality. Besides, it is a temporary solution, not a permament one.
  • chinthor
    chinthor Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I highly agree with garanaga. And since the game HAS been updated to natively support a variety of widescreen modes (including my monitors native 1600x900) there is a very simple solution. Where the resolution used (a known constant once you pick it) and the proportions of the map (I certainly hope those are known) conflict with each other, then and only then the game allows the map to scroll. Scrolling up or down when the mouse is at the borders would suffice. Heck, a little icon added somewhere out of the way could even toggle the map image between the upper and lower extreme. Job done.

And the issue here is not JUST making some purists happy. Virtually NO-ONE ANYWHERE buys a 4x3 monitor anymore. When PWI came out, widescreen was optional and market penetration was mixed. No longer. When they added support for wide resolutions, I was happy. But if they never fix this then they cannot say that this game supports widescreen. Only that they made a few patches and never finished the implementation. And the players affected continue to rise in number as more get new screens for any reason at all. And what kind do they get? Wide. Because there is nothing else out there, nor should there be.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Believe it or not, it is improved to how it was a few years ago. It isn't going to be all the way fixed. It is hardcoded into the game, and the game goes back to 2004.

We offer work arounds and fixes the best we can for you all within the limits that the game gives us b:victory

Playing in windowed mode and then clicking and dragging the game window from a widescreen view to more square ratio is easier when you need it.

Don't use the check box for wide screen in the game, IMHO, it only makes things worse for the top and bottom of the world and teleport maps. b:surrender
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    Believe it or not, it is improved to how it was a few years ago. It isn't going to be all the way fixed. It is hardcoded into the game, and the game goes back to 2004.

We offer work arounds and fixes the best we can for you all within the limits that the game gives us b:victory

Playing in windowed mode and then clicking and dragging the game window from a widescreen view to more square ratio is easier when you need it.

Don't use the check box for wide screen in the game, IMHO, it only makes things worse for the top and bottom of the world and teleport maps. b:surrender

I wish it were that simple. Not everyone is happy to use these "fixes". I am unfortunatly a very stubborn pain in the butt and cannot play it any other way than with fullscreen. I HATE windowed mode. When I play any game, it has to be fullscreen. I dont want to feel like I am playing a browser game. And being made to change resolution every single time I want to teleport to the south is infuriating.

I have to agree with chinthor about the ability to scroll if we have to. That in itself is a simple way to make the teleport map fully capable. You dont even need to change the aspect ratio that way, just make the map more....accessible. Something surely needs to be done, and this seems like a very helpful suggestion, and pretty easy to implement. Is it not?
    edited August 2011
    No. This should be fixed, not make everyone use "fixes" that make the game look like ****, or make it look like a browser game. Not everyone is like you, and can make do. Some of us actually prefer quality. Besides, it is a temporary solution, not a permament one.

believe me, i much prefer quality over making do myself, but this is PWI --- making do is pretty well mandatory, because the game is on a slow back burner in maintenance mode. judging by the service i've seen them give, i'd guess the devs have been largely moved on to wanmei's newer products and only rarely get shunted back to this code base.

i personally run the game in windowed mode anyway because i like to run everything in windowed mode so i can use my computer's multitasking more efficiently. but that's a personal preference, i'll admit.

(i haven't had a chance to log in yet and see how the recent fixes have worked out. based on how many there are reputed to be, there are sure to be many new bugs as well. time will tell.)
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    believe me, i much prefer quality over making do myself, but this is PWI --- making do is pretty well mandatory, because the game is on a slow back burner in maintenance mode. judging by the service i've seen them give, i'd guess the devs have been largely moved on to wanmei's newer products and only rarely get shunted back to this code base.

i personally run the game in windowed mode anyway because i like to run everything in windowed mode so i can use my computer's multitasking more efficiently. but that's a personal preference, i'll admit.

(i haven't had a chance to log in yet and see how the recent fixes have worked out. based on how many there are reputed to be, there are sure to be many new bugs as well. time will tell.)

It cannot be on the backburner as you said, seeing as 2 expansions have been added if I recall. So they have had plenty of time to fix it. They just dont seem to want to, which is a suprise considering how popular this game is.

Oh I can multitask, thats where a second monitor comes in very handy. Have the game on one, and the net and everything else on the other. Unfortunatly, I only have one monitor, so I dont bother. Besides, thanks to a suprising fix for the Alt + Tab problem I was having, I can now alt and tab out if I need to do anything. b:victory
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    It cannot be on the backburner as you said, seeing as 2 expansions have been added if I recall.

Actually, the two expansions were just new data added to the client and then linked to existing game hooks that were already there. It's kind of like adding a mod to Oblivion. Doesn't change the core files or data, just adds on. And they can't even do that correctly. Ever notice how the trees in the new EG area don't move like all the original areas do?

Also, patch notes say the map was re sized, I just checked it on my laptop, no more cutoff.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • garanaga
    edited August 2011
    Actually, the two expansions were just new data added to the client and then linked to existing game hooks that were already there. It's kind of like adding a mod to Oblivion. Doesn't change the core files or data, just adds on. And they can't even do that correctly. Ever notice how the trees in the new EG area don't move like all the original areas do?

Also, patch notes say the map was re sized, I just checked it on my laptop, no more cutoff.

Holy **** b:shocked

It is true, no more cut off map, or even teleport map. Finally it has been fixed. My complaint has been heard and dealt with. b:victoryb:thanks
    edited August 2011

actually, those earthguard trees are a (weaksauce, but still) argument that new stuff's being added. look at them from above. see the six-way symmetry to their leaves, like snowflakes? original-area trees don't have that; original-area trees are designed to look "treelike" both from the ground and the air. genesis-era trees were drawn to look "treelike" from the ground, the honeycomb symmetry only shows up when flying. most games, of course, don't allow unrestricted flying like PWI does.

so actually, those graphics would've looked better if they'd copied and pasted some original-area trees...

...like they copied-and-pasted the old FB109 instances to make warsong and nirvana, and the old FB19 instances (with some minor edits) to make phoenix valley... has any genuinely new instance map been added to the game since the lost empire expansion, which was long before my time? i'll give half-credit for warsong, nirvana, and PV, but i'd love to award full credit for a true new FB19. i don't think i'll ever get to do so.